HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:52 PM

How Los Angeles County became home to the biggest AAPI communities in the country

From the Los Angeles Times:

How Los Angeles County became home to the biggest AAPI communities in the country

By Aida Ylanan and Sandhya Kambhampati
May 15, 2024 3:03 PM PT

Los Angeles County is home to more Asian Americans than any other county in the United States. California is home to roughly 6 million Asians and Pacific Islanders, the most in the country, with the seven Southern California counties accounting for half of the state’s AAPI population. And Asian Americans are the fastest growing population in the nation. To understand the Asian and Pacific Islander diaspora in Southern California, the Los Angeles Times analyzed 40 years of data from the Census Bureau.

For decades, census forms treated Asians as a monolith and did not include categories for each race group. Coming from dozens of communities, most of them associated with the largest continent in the world, nearly a million Asians and Pacific Islanders in Los Angeles County in 1980 were recorded only as “Other.” More than a quarter of the Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander population in Los Angeles still report belonging to a group not listed on the latest census forms. The allocation of federal resources and funding depends on a complete enumeration of AAPI communities. There are more than 25 Asian countries and five countries in the Pacific Islander community acknowledged by federal statistics.

First imagined as a political identity, the term “Asian American” was coined in the late 1960s by Chinese, Japanese and Filipino American activists in California. Today it refers to ethnic groups who trace their origins to East, Southeast, South and Central Asia. Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month, celebrated in May, also commemorates Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders from Polynesia, Melanesia and Micronesia.

AAPI communities have existed in Southern California since the 1800s, with ethnic enclaves such as Old Chinatown and Little Tokyo established by some of the region’s first Asian settlers. Neighborhoods such as Koreatown, Historic Filipinotown and Thai Town formed from a later influx of immigration after the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 opened the door to widespread migration from Asia. The AAPI population in Los Angeles grew from 198,000 in 1970 to almost a million in 1990, according to researchers at UCLA.

There are 14 Asian-majority suburbs in Los Angeles County, and all but one, Cerritos, are in the San Gabriel Valley. L.A. County has gained 2 million people since 1980, with the Asian population more than tripling from 417,000 to over 1.4 million today. Areas such as Monterey Park, Koreatown, Long Beach, Torrance and Cerritos each became home to between 10,000 and 18,000 Asians in the 1980s. Forty years later, these communities have tripled in size. Santa Clarita is home to the fastest-growing Asian population, from less than 600 to nearly 19,000 today.

The data on immigration to Los Angeles from Asia and the Pacific tell a story older than the city itself: Antonio Miranda Rodriguez, a Filipino recorded in the census in 1783, was part of a group of settlers credited with founding the pueblo that became Los Angeles.

Other groups trace similarly long lineages. Chinese workers were recorded in the census in 1850, the first year it included California, which became a state that year. Japanese immigrants first appeared in the census for the state in 1870, when two Japanese-born men were recorded as servants to a judge in San Marino.

[...]

[...]

It's a long article, but I thought it had very interesting information.

Link: How Los Angeles County became home to the biggest AAPI communities in the country

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; May 17, 2024 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:03 PM

While true, kinda weird angle. LA County is also home to the largest white and Latino populations in the country. It's a gigantic county population.

California is actually the whitest state, by far, by raw numbers. NYC is the whitest city. But these would be similarly weird angles.

That's pretty cool, tho, that a Fillipino was one of LA's founders. Pretty neat bit of trivia, and foreshadowing.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:20 PM

Anyone know why Filipinos are mostly East of the 605?

Chinese appear to now be everywhere in the SGV, based on the map. I guess pushing Mexicans eastward?

And I had no idea Cerritos was LA County. It feels very Northern OC, to me. Culturally, it seems to better fit Northern OC. Those middle class Northern OC Brady Bunch areas totally vacated by whites, and very desirable to Asians.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
While true, kinda weird angle. LA County is also home to the largest white and Latino populations in the country. It's a gigantic county population.

California is actually the whitest state, by far, by raw numbers. NYC is the whitest city. But these would be similarly weird angles.

That's pretty cool, tho, that a Fillipino was one of LA's founders. Pretty neat bit of trivia, and foreshadowing.
How is that a weird angle? AAPI only comprise about 7% of the total US population.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
How is that a weird angle? AAPI only comprise about 7% of the total US population.
Bc LA County is gigantic. It's the whitest county too. LA County is a very Asian county, but there are metropolitan counties in CA that are far more Asian.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Anyone know why Filipinos are mostly East of the 605?
That's just in the SGV. Trust me, there are plenty of Filipinos in Glendale, Eagle Rock, Carson, Long Beach...

Quote:
Chinese appear to now be everywhere in the SGV, based on the map. I guess pushing Mexicans eastward?
They aren't pushing Mexicans eastward. They're living side-by-side, particularly in El Monte and Rosemead.

Quote:
And I had no idea Cerritos was LA County. It feels very Northern OC, to me. Culturally, it seems to better fit Northern OC. Those middle class Northern OC Brady Bunch areas totally vacated by whites, and very desirable to Asians.
Cerritos is my home town, and I am offended that someone would think it was Orange County. Seriously though, I was glad to have lived IN FRONT OF the Orange Curtain, not behind it. Back in the 1980s, the demographics totally changed once you crossed the county line and went into La Palma and Buena Park.

Hehe many years ago, a co-worker asked me where I grew up, and I said Cerritos. She said "Oh gosh, I didn't think you were from Orange County." i said "Cerritos is in LA County." Being near the county line, there were some high school classmates that preferred hanging out at South Coast Plaza and Huntington Beach, whereas my friends and I were always going into LA and Long Beach, and the South Bay.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:36 PM
你的媽媽

I do agree to some extent with Crawford. LA County has a lot of Asians because LA County is huge and it has a lot of people. It's not really surprising. If you look at the percentages, it's not in the top 10 in the US. It may not even be top 10 in California. By the percentages, it's not even the most Asian county in its metro. Orange County is.

That being said, LA does have a lot of Asian people overall. I'm guessing percentage wise it's still somewhere in the top 20-30.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Americans

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Because of the massive population of the county. It's the most populous county in the nation, at 9.6 million, which is more than 40 states. The next most-populated county in the US is Cook County in Illinois, at just over half of Los Angeles County's population, at around 5 million. So the law of numbers tells us Los Angeles County has the greatest chance of having the highest population of any race or ethnicity.

You could probably take the county's massive population and find the county has the most of just about everything: most fast food restaurants, most houses, most churches, most teenagers, most women, and so on. The first sentence in that article leads the reader to believe that this is some kind of big surprise.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Bc LA County is gigantic. It's the whitest county too. LA County is a very Asian county, but there are metropolitan counties in CA that are far more Asian.
Percentage-wise, sure.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Totally.

LA county is 2x larger the any other county in the nation.

So in terms of raw #s, it's gonna dominate most demographic categories merely due to its size alone.

Weird headline.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:47 PM

Well then fine I guess this article should be scrapped and instead, they should have written

How Los Angeles County became the most populated county in the country

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
So the law of numbers tells us Los Angeles County has the greatest chance of having the highest population of any race or ethnicity.
Well, for it having such a humongous population, it doesn't have the largest amount of African-Americans. Go figure.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I do agree to some extent with Crawford. LA County has a lot of Asians because LA County is huge and it has a lot of people. It's not really surprising. If you look at the percentages, it's not in the top 10 in the US. It may not even be top 10 in California. By the percentages, it's not even the most Asian county in its metro. Orange County is.

That being said, LA does have a lot of Asian people overall. I'm guessing percentage wise it's still somewhere in the top 20-30.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Americans
Not to sidetrack the main conversation, but what jumped out to me seeing that map regarding California specifically is, what's happening up in Trinity County? I recognize the map is percentages and not raw numbers, but still, it's in the same percentage bracket as the Portland metro and Vegas.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
As a side note, for it having such a humongous population, it doesn't have the largest amount of African-Americans. Go figure.
Which speaks to the relative dearth of black people out west compared to the eastern half of the nation.

It's the only macro-demo that LA county doesn't completely own in terms of raw #s.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Which speaks to the relative dearth of black people out west compared to the eastern half of the nation.

It's the only macro-demo that LA county doesn't completely own in terms of raw #s.
Why is that, I wonder?

And why is there a dearth of AAPI in large swaths of the US?

If there are great economic opportunities in any given part of the US, wouldn't anybody/everybody go there?

These are rhetorical questions, BTW. I am aware of socio-cultural factors...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:

And why is there a dearth of AAPI in large swaths of the US?
Asians were pretty small group in the U.S. until the last 20-30 years. I know it was different in parts of LA and Bay Area, but it's overall a pretty recent thing.

Even in LA/OC, my cousins grew up in a part of OC that was almost entirely white, and even now doesn't have a huge Asian population. (Newport-Laguna area). Irvine is very Asian, but not closer to the coast. Still almost entirely stereotypical American white people, not even Jews or Armenians.

South Asians, especially, have really come on the scene in almost every metro. That's an enormous difference from my childhood. There are high schools in the area I grew up in outside Detroit that had very few Asians in the 1990's, that are now majority or near-majority Asian.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:05 PM

Quote:

Italians? Poles? I'm sure other US counties have more of them than Los Angeles County.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I am willing to bet LA County has the biggest furry population in the US as well.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Cook County has a larger number of "traditional white" than Los Angeles County. Cook is only 400k behind LA County in count of NH white population (2.56m vs 2.13m), and I suspect that LA County has far more people from Middle East backgrounds that are checking the "white" box on census forms.

Quote:

I think LA County was just surpassed by Harris County in the 2020 census for the second largest Black population (Cook County still has the largest). LA County might still have the second largest population of African Americans of any county, since Houston has a large number of immigrants from Africa.

LA County has also been shedding Black people at about the same rate as Cook County in recent years. Since 2000, the Black population of LA County is down about 16% vs being down about 15% in Cook County.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:57 PM

More than likely most of the African American population still remain in the LA Metro and just moved into neighboring San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. I’ll bet you see in the stats the AA population has increased in those areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions