HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
A few years ago (I think it was during the Charest years but i could be wrong), there was the idea to put the election on a sunday. All parties seemed to agree with that until the Liberal party noticed that many of their most motivated voters were retired and they had no problem voting on a monday, so moving the election on a sunday would help the other parties more than the Liberals. The Liberals opposed the idea and that was the end of it...
But we have numerous opportunities to vote in advance polls so.. WTF are you talking about?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Your "progressive" agenda only ever has a chance to be enforced in an independent Québec. In Canada it will always be capitalism-as-usual.
Yeah well we're about to see how capitalism-as-usual is about to monumentally fail - again!

2008 x 10!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ski View Post
But we have numerous opportunities to vote in advance polls so.. WTF are you talking about?
People have numerous opportunities to do their taxes in advance, but still a lot of them do it at the last minutes.

Students have numerous opportunities to study in advance, but still a lot of them do it the night before the exam.

People have numerous opportinities to buy their Christmas gifts in advance, but still a lot of them buy them on Christmas Eve.

People often do things at the last minutes, if we want them to vote we should make it easier for them.

That is what I am talking about.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 11:05 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Your "progressive" agenda only ever has a chance to be enforced in an independent Québec. In Canada it will always be capitalism-as-usual.
And the Québec solidaire people understand this very well.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 11:37 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

The CAQ eked out one more seat (Anjou in Montreal) so that gives them 90.

QS also ended up stealing Verdun from the Liberals in western Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 11:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

The CAQ won Hull by 9 points over the incumbent Liberal. Not even close.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quebec solidaire's popular vote dropped from one election to another for the first time since the party was founded over 15 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There are lots of tropes circulating about the CAQ. You know, "old white guys" and such...

Just under 50% of the CAQ's elected members are women, the most women of any government in Quebec history.

Many of the CAQ's candidates including those who were elected were young women.

The new CAQ member for Hull is a female president of the teachers' union.

The CAQ member for Longueuil just across from downtown Montreal is a black woman who was president of the nurses' union.

Among the CAQ members elected last night is the first ever woman elected to Quebec's National Assembly.

I'll have to check to confirm but I am pretty sure that overall, the CAQ caucus elected yesterday is as or more diverse than Doug Ford's Conservative caucus in Ontario - and Ontario is a way more diverse province than Quebec.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Recount update.

My guess is that the first two will happen. The last one will not.

https://twitter.com/i0livier/status/1577292601488728064

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:52 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
People have numerous opportunities to do their taxes in advance, but still a lot of them do it at the last minutes.

Students have numerous opportunities to study in advance, but still a lot of them do it the night before the exam.

People have numerous opportinities to buy their Christmas gifts in advance, but still a lot of them buy them on Christmas Eve.

People often do things at the last minutes, if we want them to vote we should make it easier for them.

That is what I am talking about.
I worked at a polling station yesterday. The biggest blitz of voters I had all day was between 7:30 and 8 pm.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec solidaire's popular vote dropped from one election to another for the first time since the party was founded over 15 years ago.
That reminds me of the fate of the Ontario NDP, whose popular vote share dropped 50% between the 2018 election and the 2022 election where Doug Ford was reelected with a resounding majority. In fact, the NDP share of the popular vote is the same as it was in 2014, when the Liberals were the incumbents under Kathleen Wynne.

In many ways, the CAQ reminds me of Doug Ford's Conservatives post-pandemic. I would never say that Doug Ford is a great statesman, but he has his finger on the pulse of the everyday kitchen table issues of most Ontarians (myself included), and his 'Conservatism' is mostly being pro-business and investing in things that actually lead to economic growth, like infrastructure and selective corporate welfare that, to be fair, is needed for a long-term industrial strategy.

The left can only really find two tropes to attack modern Conservatism: either you're a populist demagogue culture warrior or you're some Dickensian Thatcherite. I see that the English media paints Legault more as the former, and Quebec leftists as more of the latter. Neither is really true, but like a drunk who only looks for the keys he lost under the lamppost because he can only see the ground that's lit up, that's where their criticisms land.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
CAQ wins Hull, a huge historic Liberal bastion.

The CAQ now holds 4 of 5 seats in the Outaouais.
The liberals practically own Montreal. Money and the ethnic vote.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Just kick Alberta and Quebec out of Canada, both seem to despise the idea of Canada anyway
No thanks. Losing Quebec is losing Canada.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The liberals practically own Montreal. Money and the ethnic vote.
Not quite.

A fairly significant swathe of it is now QS orange, and there is a tiny bit of light blue and dark blue as well.

Montreal city proper is fairly evenly split between the PLQ and QS with a hint of blue.

The uninterrupted Liberal red sea is in fact mostly in the suburban municipalities of the West Island.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
That reminds me of the fate of the Ontario NDP, whose popular vote share dropped 50% between the 2018 election and the 2022 election where Doug Ford was reelected with a resounding majority. In fact, the NDP share of the popular vote is the same as it was in 2014, when the Liberals were the incumbents under Kathleen Wynne.

In many ways, the CAQ reminds me of Doug Ford's Conservatives post-pandemic. I would never say that Doug Ford is a great statesman, but he has his finger on the pulse of the everyday kitchen table issues of most Ontarians (myself included), and his 'Conservatism' is mostly being pro-business and investing in things that actually lead to economic growth, like infrastructure and selective corporate welfare that, to be fair, is needed for a long-term industrial strategy.

The left can only really find two tropes to attack modern Conservatism: either you're a populist demagogue culture warrior or you're some Dickensian Thatcherite. I see that the English media paints Legault more as the former, and Quebec leftists as more of the latter. Neither is really true, but like a drunk who only looks for the keys he lost under the lamppost because he can only see the ground that's lit up, that's where their criticisms land.
This is a pretty good assessment.

I have always thought there that the QS brand would be more appealling to a broader share of the population in Quebec overall, but now they appear to have plateaued and are unable to break out of the most urban core areas.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The uninterrupted Liberal red sea is in fact mostly in the suburban municipalities of the West Island.
So, money and the ethnic vote then.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Not quite.

A fairly significant swathe of it is now QS orange, and there is a tiny bit of light blue and dark blue as well.

Montreal city proper is fairly evenly split between the PLQ and QS with a hint of blue.

The island looks pretty red to me, notwithstanding a blush of orange in the East end. How do you figure it is evenly split? (not in terms of seats, that is for sure).
St. Laurent, Montreal Nord, Ville Emard, LaSalle, St. Leonard, Ville Marie, etc. are not West Island (I am an authority on this, having grown up in the Waste Island, which is Dorval and Westwards). Liberals also took Ile Perrot and Vaudreuil (surprisingly...this was always PQ central).

So you have "les regions" vs. the cities (Montreal/QC). Again.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

The island looks pretty red to me, notwithstanding a blush of orange in the East end.
St. Laurent, Montreal Nord, Ville Emard, LaSalle, St. Leonard, Ville Marie, etc. are not West Island (I am an authority on this, having grown up in the Waste Island, which is Dorval and Westwards). Liberals also took Ile Perrot and Vaudreuil (surprisingly...this was always PQ central).

So you have "les regions" vs. the cities (Montreal/QC). Again.
I am not saying that the Liberals don't do well in the city proper. I am saying that they aren't completely dominant there to the exclusion of everyone else.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Simulation of how the assembly would be constituted if a proportional system had been in place. (I bitch about our journalists sometimes, but I have to admit they can also be pretty awesome.)

The CAQ is still in comfortable majority territory but with less seats.

The Liberals actually drop - yes FPTP favours the Quebec Liberals.

PQ triples its seats and PCQ goes from zero to 10 seats.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/info/202...oportionnelle/

EDIT: QS would also get a couple more seats.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
I am not saying that the Liberals don't do well in the city proper. I am saying that they aren't completely dominant there to the exclusion of everyone else.
Looking at colors only can be misleading also sometimes. So many close races. The liberals on the island were not as strong as usual.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada