HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
I would love it if the rumored 98 stories building’s design is similar to One Vanderbilt in NYC. I’m obsessed with that skyscraper and I always thought it would’ve looked really good in the Chicago skyline. The top of the building with the spire is my favorite aspect of the design so I hope the design for this rumored building is unique, not just another box shaped skyscrapers that we’ve gotten lately lol
So is there going to be a new JP Morgan Chase tower and a new 98 story "Aussie" building in the Loop, or is this the same project? The JPMC story is obviously credible, I wonder if the Aussie building is. If so, that's GREAT news!!

The world's best skyline may be getting even more amazing!!
https://offloadmedia.feverup.com/sec...3447108152.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jul 9, 2021 at 4:13 PM. Reason: please use hyperlinks for unsourced and off topic images

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It is probably the most remote of possibilities of the mentioned sites, but it's not completely out of the question. Banks like Chase do have a ton of young/young-ish tech workers and just like many other tech companies, continue to look to attract the same types of workers for the most part in a quieter manner. If they were looking to lease something like 250K-350K sq ft instead of 1M sq ft then Fulton Market might make even more sense. At the same time though, they want to sometimes be seen as more hip.

At the same time though, my money is on 130 N Franklin or the Madison site if getting a new site is truly what the deal is.
You have to remember that Sam still believes that the West Loop is a terrible, irrational, location for office and that it will fail as a neighborhood. He's been saying for years that McDonald's and others are making a huge mistake locating West of the Kennedy.

Obviously his position on the area is looking increasingly loony with each passing month.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
So is there going to be a new JP Morgan Chase tower and a new 98 story "Aussie" building in the Loop, or is this the same project? The JPMC story is obviously credible, I wonder if the Aussie building is. If so, that's GREAT news!!

The world's best skyline may be getting even more amazing!!
https://offloadmedia.feverup.com/sec...3447108152.jpg
Wow, thanks so much for that pic. Hadn't seen it. I love the colored lighting and how modern it makes the skyline look. I love Chicago's coordinated lighting program/committee however it happens. MOAR please.

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jul 9, 2021 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Wow, thanks so much for that pic. Hadn't seen it. I love the colored lighting and how modern it makes the skyline look. I love Chicago's coordinated lighting program/committee however it happens. MOAR please.
My pleasure! I found it on Google. I didn’t see a name to credit though.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:37 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
You have to remember that Sam still believes that the West Loop is a terrible, irrational, location for office and that it will fail as a neighborhood. He's been saying for years that McDonald's and others are making a huge mistake locating West of the Kennedy.

Obviously his position on the area is looking increasingly loony with each passing month.

"It will fail as a neighborhood." LOL Where have I stated that? I think no such thing.

Does Fulton Market make sense from an urban planning and transportation standpoint for a large concentration of office buildings in the several hundreds of thousands of square feet? No, and that's as true as ever. That's all my position has been.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:58 PM

For what it's worth, everyone I know on the North and South sides HATE the commute to Fulton Market because no easy way to get there outside of driving.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
For what it's worth, everyone I know on the North and South sides HATE the commute to Fulton Market because no easy way to get there outside of driving.
Unless you're lucky enough to live near the green line, and then it's the best

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:34 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

I'm moving this here from the 78 thread so as not to derail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein
How would you feel about 401 S Wacker Dr if the chilling plant was relocated and they had that whole site?
Maybe you know something I don't, but that seems far too complex and expensive to be realistic.

If Block 37 had to wrap around the ComEd station on Dearborn, I assume 401 S Wacker will also need to deal with the chilling plant as a permanent neighbor.
To be clear, I don't have any information about relocating the Enwave plant. It was purely hypothetical. You are probably right, but I still wonder if it would be possible to build over the plant or somehow incorporate it into the design. As far as I can tell, one of their cooling plants is in the BCBS tower and another is in the basement of Merchandise Mart.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:42 PM

I used to design/build Chase office projects. Even 5 years ago, Chase was ready to get out of the current Chase Tower. I have since been hearing more and more chatter about a new tower. There is a strong appetite for a signature/name-sake tower. Lots of discussions after BoA and BMO did their own towers.

My assumption is they are doing their due diligence on older buildings to cross them out, otherwise, they would just renovate Chase Tower itself (which is iconic in its own right). CTC just isn't up to pair for a tenant of that size. Chase had been increasingly moving people over to the Citidel tower to take advantage of the infrastructure.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_steve View Post
I used to design/build Chase office projects. Even 5 years ago, Chase was ready to get out of the current Chase Tower. I have since been hearing more and more chatter about a new tower. There is a strong appetite for a signature/name-sake tower. Lots of discussions after BoA and BMO did their own towers.

My assumption is they are doing their due diligence on older buildings to cross them out, otherwise, they would just renovate Chase Tower itself (which is iconic in its own right). CTC just isn't up to pair for a tenant of that size. Chase had been increasingly moving people over to the Citidel tower to take advantage of the infrastructure.
Exciting stuff. If they're building a new 1400 footer in Midtown, building a 1000 footer in Chicago should be no problem.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:27 PM

Imagining Tribune East here.

Wasn't sure where to post this. Didn't want to be 'that guy' and post in the Tribune East thread...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:56 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
West Loop Metra station is happening, alderman says

"They have designed—and they asked us not to share the rendering, but I can describe it—a platform that runs from Ogden all the way to Ashland so that the Metra station could connect with the CTA line at Ashland," Goodman said. "I think would be a very positive benefit for the community."
Say whaaa? That would be an impossibly long and convoluted platform I would think. Unless I'm missing something.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 7:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ I think they just mean the station entrance would be on Ashland and the Cta station a few blocks south down Ashland. They just worded it really bad and made it sound like a new WL Metra station would have a platform connected to the Green Line Ashland station.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 7:34 PM

Renderings of 739-755 N. Wells Street here.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Renderings of 739-755 N. Wells Street here.
Really loved the context image they included

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 9:37 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Hines agreed to purchase the property in 2019. No documents filed for the Enwave parcel.

PIN 17-16-237-006 & 17-16-237-007
Memorandum of Purchase and Sale Agreement (dated 9/16/19 recorded 10/15/19)
between 401 S WACKER ASSOCIATES LLC and HINES INTERESTS LP

Interesting. Could be wrong and missed some media but I think that did really fly right under the radar.

Was owned (assuming this is an outright sale) by Development Resources Inc for a long time. Reminder of what DRI had been proposing (although of course if they'd ever landed an anchor tenant the design could have changed substantially(:

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...uren-001-copy/

Needless to say, I'd expect something bolder from Hines here.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 10:07 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It is probably the most remote of possibilities of the mentioned sites, but it's not completely out of the question. Banks like Chase do have a ton of young/young-ish tech workers and just like many other tech companies, continue to look to attract the same types of workers for the most part in a quieter manner. If they were looking to lease something like 250K-350K sq ft instead of 1M sq ft then Fulton Market might make even more sense. At the same time though, they want to sometimes be seen as more hip.

At the same time though, my money is on 130 N Franklin or the Madison site if getting a new site is truly what the deal is.

We're in agreement. I'm not taking Fulton Market completely off the table precisely because of that pressure corporations in a wide range of industries feels to attract younger tech workers. However, I think it's highly unlikely Chase gets talked into diving whole-hog into that bait with this kind of move. Note: Not impossible.

The more I think about it, 401 S Wacker may be on par with 130 N Franklin. At any rate, it's close. While I'd absolutely give an edge to 130 on absolute location irrespective of views and visibility, the showstopper views of, and from 401 would be incredibly appealing to a company that really wanted to make a statement. And they'd be able to one-up Bank of America (and yes BMO too - but really Bank of America as they are more direct peers in terms of size and scale nationally and in Chicago) fairly easily, in highly visible fashion. However, as others have pointed out, the available footprint here might be an issue, and I don't know what the maximum tower dimensions available look like, and it might be a real stretch (literally) to build something of the size that would really justify a Chase Chicago hq-like anchor lease.

As for 130, I think I've mentioned before, what they could do is redesign so that the tower is shifted to the north of the site, up against Randolph. This would improve visibility and views to/from the west, as it would be offset from 110 North Wacker (where of course BofA is now located). Would Chase though - even if they build a much more noteworthy architectural addition and potentially larger/taller trophy at 130 - opt to locate so close to BofA when BofA's building is just so much more visible with better or mostly better views (just by nature of it being between the River and Wacker)? I don't know, and perhaps I'm overthinking it a bit. I guarantee though that they are putting a tremendous amount of thought into this competitive aspect of its Chicago real estate decision - all of their major competitors really but again I'd think especially BofA - and this goes for the experience and image for its workforce (and attracting its future workforce) as well as for its clients.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 10:13 PM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Interesting. Could be wrong and missed some media but I think that did really fly right under the radar.

Was owned (assuming this is an outright sale) by Development Resources Inc for a long time. Reminder of what DRI had been proposing (although of course if they'd ever landed an anchor tenant the design could have changed substantially(:

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...uren-001-copy/

Needless to say, I'd expect something bolder from Hines here.
Interesting that the floorplates there were 31,000 sq ft. 110 N wacker had a largest floorplate of 30,000 square feet. Salesforce tower is 25,000 square feet. I bet if you optimized space a bit and even cantilevered it slightly over the enwave building you could easily get 35,000-40,000 sq ft floorplates. That's actually a lot larger than I thought.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 10:46 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
Interesting that the floorplates there were 31,000 sq ft. 110 N wacker had a largest floorplate of 30,000 square feet. Salesforce tower is 25,000 square feet. I bet if you optimized space a bit and even cantilevered it slightly over the enwave building you could easily get 35,000-40,000 sq ft floorplates. That's actually a lot larger than I thought.

Good point - 31k sq ft is absolutely plenty and would be near the top end of new Chicago office tower floorplates at least over the last couple decades (there might be a very small number of newer towers that get closer to the mid30ks. That DRI proposal rendering looks pretty slender N-S, so I wonder what the slenderness ratio is if you were to add 25-30 floors to it? Although perhaps with cantilevers somewhere as you mention, and maybe you shorten the E-W length of the tower, this site even becomes very doable for up to one of the largest office towers in Chicago post-Aon? Although getting way ahead of myself here.

Regardless, and switching gears here, I still think it's very likely that the absolute tallest new office towers anywhere downtown we're likely to see (not counting any fluff at the top) top out ~65 stories and ~900' (and that would be with higher avg floor-floor heights). Perhaps in an extraordinary circumstance with very high avg floor-floor heights and a scattering of special double-height floors or the like you might get to ~950'. Even a statement piece is going to incorporate Chicago development economics and not import those in Manhattan.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post

The more I think about it, 401 S Wacker may be on par with 130 N Franklin. At any rate, it's close. While I'd absolutely give an edge to 130 on absolute location irrespective of views and visibility, the showstopper views of, and from 401 would be incredibly appealing to a company that really wanted to make a statement. And they'd be able to one-up Bank of America (and yes BMO too - but really Bank of America as they are more direct peers in terms of size and scale nationally and in Chicago) fairly easily, in highly visible fashion. However, as others have pointed out, the available footprint here might be an issue, and I don't know what the maximum tower dimensions available look like, and it might be a real stretch (literally) to build something of the size that would really justify a Chase Chicago hq-like anchor lease.
If I were in charge of a major bank wanting to make an architectural statement, I would go for 401 S Wacker, but I highly doubt critical infrastructure like the Enwave building could be easily relocated even with a blank check.

I would try to obtain air rights over Van Buren St. so as to use both 401 S Wacker and 321 S Wacker as the base, straddling the road like St. Regis does. Then commission a 98 story custom design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations