HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 5:31 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
https://imgur.com/a/YPrtWma

This is how I'm thinking it would work.
No no no - just please don’t go there.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 2:32 PM

For 59, they'll just add lanes to the current alignment. If I'm betting, they go on the east side of existing.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
No no no - just please don’t go there.
I chose that route accordingly. The current alignment has too many local acceses, therefore lots of houses are going to have to be knocked down, which could lead to controversy. If they move 59 500m West of the current alignment (between Hwy 59 and 1 mile east), it would have less property impacts. And it would also be easier for drivers on Hwy 52.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:10 PM

Stop issuing rebates. Apply any surplus to road construction.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:27 PM

They could have paid the ENTIRE Kenaston widening with the rebates they already squandered.

This is absolute insanity. A $300 cheque does nothing to a citizen. But $500m does huge things on a municipal level. Plus, it was already spent money. Politically, it's a "free-tax". USE IT.

Rebates have to stop. Any of MPI's profits need to be dumped 100% into roads.

Potholes wreck cars, which drive up claims. Using profits to fix potholes reduces claims. It's an investment.

Same with dangerous intersections. Fix dangerous intersections. Save lives and claims. This isn't only smart. It's practically MPI's mandate.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:52 PM

They could do as you suggest, but when spending MPI excess profits on stuff like road improvements was suggested when the first rebate was available there was a substantial public uprising that caused the government of day to back off and issue cheques.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
They could do as you suggest, but when spending MPI excess profits on stuff like road improvements was suggested when the first rebate was available there was a substantial public uprising that caused the government of day to back off and issue cheques.
That's crazy. Hadn't seen that but I'd expect no less from Manitobans. These people can't be helped. Do you have some links for us to understand the sentiment?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
They could have paid the ENTIRE Kenaston widening with the rebates they already squandered.

This is absolute insanity. A $300 cheque does nothing to a citizen. But $500m does huge things on a municipal level. Plus, it was already spent money. Politically, it's a "free-tax". USE IT.

Rebates have to stop. Any of MPI's profits need to be dumped 100% into roads.

Potholes wreck cars, which drive up claims. Using profits to fix potholes reduces claims. It's an investment.

Same with dangerous intersections. Fix dangerous intersections. Save lives and claims. This isn't only smart. It's practically MPI's mandate.

I'm perfectly fine with MPI continuing to operate as an insurer and not our backup road budget. What happens on years when MPI is short on cash? Do we siphon money out of roads for that? No we let MPI adjust their insurance premiums accordingly to make up the next year.

MPI employs actuaries who's job is to best predict insurance costs that year and what insurance rates to charge. Obviously with the pandemic that threw forecasting off a ton and we have been getting used to regular refunds on premiums, but should stabilize soon. Money back means there were fewer claims and collisions than they expected so that means the province had greater than expected road safety and/or weather conditions than anticipated.

I'd be happy with MPI continuing to share claims and collision data to help the city, municipalities, and province to prioritize road fixes and improvements, but not be a depended-on source of money, which might result in additional pressure to raise insurance rates.

If you have a problem with the state of the roads, go annoy the source of the money for said road, so your councilor or MLA.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I'm perfectly fine with MPI continuing to operate as an insurer and not our backup road budget. What happens on years when MPI is short on cash? Do we siphon money out of roads for that? No we let MPI adjust their insurance premiums accordingly to make up the next year.

MPI employs actuaries who's job is to best predict insurance costs that year and what insurance rates to charge. Obviously with the pandemic that threw forecasting off a ton and we have been getting used to regular refunds on premiums, but should stabilize soon. Money back means there were fewer claims and collisions than they expected so that means the province had greater than expected road safety and/or weather conditions than anticipated.

I'd be happy with MPI continuing to share claims and collision data to help the city, municipalities, and province to prioritize road fixes and improvements, but not be a depended-on source of money, which might result in additional pressure to raise insurance rates.

If you have a problem with the state of the roads, go annoy the source of the money for said road, so your councilor or MLA.

Here's how dumb that is logistically: MPI overcharges premiums. MPI refunds premiums back. City of Winnipeg is short road money. City of Winnipeg increases taxes to cover the shortfall.

You've just created 2 bureaucracies out of already spent money. Just transfer the excess premiums over to the highest priority projects. The surplus doesn't need to be relied on, it's a bonus. To chip away at the multi-billion dollar road backlog.

Paying roadwork with insurance profits is the closest you're gonna get to a "pay-per-use" system for roads, outside of tolling. You have a car, you pay insurance, you drive on roads; they all rely on each other.

Just like the gas tax is used to fund roads, insurance profits should too. We have a crown insurer after all. That's the whole point.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:43 AM

Fix the roads is edging out the rebate guzzlers. Go vote!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Manitoba/co...pi_profits_go/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Fix the roads is edging out the rebate guzzlers. Go vote!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Manitoba/co...pi_profits_go/
One thing I don't get is the fact that Winnipeg is planning on reopening Portage and Main to Pedestrians. We have an underground tunnel with shops. Why should we create another solution to something that already exists? There's better places we could use our money throughout the province. Fix the roads we have.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 7:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

pub is why they give us checks

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
One thing I don't get is the fact that Winnipeg is planning on reopening Portage and Main to Pedestrians. We have an underground tunnel with shops. Why should we create another solution to something that already exists? There's better places we could use our money throughout the province. Fix the roads we have.
Because 5 years of closures, 100 million bucks and the delay of the TMP implementation are more important than an underground ghost town used by 5000 people a day. We have better things to spend our money on like you said.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 8:09 PM

We're talkin about crossing the street man.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:08 PM

Idea has legs. Small sample size, but the split is holding steady as the votes increase.

It helps getting people during max pothole season after a tailbone crushing ride home from work. Strategy. Gotta activate that state-dependent memory.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:26 AM

^I pay MPI to insure my vehicle. I don't pay them to fix roads or do other things NOT related to the insurance of my vehicle. If that's part of the contract I want to know that up front.

Otherwise, you are stealing from me.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:40 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Idea has legs. Small sample size, but the split is holding steady as the votes increase.

It helps getting people during max pothole season after a tailbone crushing ride home from work. Strategy. Gotta activate that state-dependent memory.

Is this your poll?

Also, reddit.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:51 AM

People without cars and car insurance benefit from roads. These folks may take the bus, Uber, taxi, bike or carpool. All those use roads.

All the food and goods they buy in stores are trucked in, so they benefit from roads and road repairs.

Therefore all taxpayers should contribute to road maintenance, not just those with auto insurance.

Bad public policy to divert MPI profits to roads and maintenance IMO.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Is this your poll?

Also, reddit.
Yes, and yes. I'll accept your shame on the Reddit side. It's warranted. But, numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Therefore all taxpayers should contribute to road maintenance, not just those with auto insurance.
The suggestion is not for MPI to solely fund the roads. The suggestion is for excess MPI surplus to be diverted to roads, instead of being wasted on rebates. Surplus only, when surplus exists. If no surplus exists, no transfers occur. Existing gov road budgets remain unchanged and unrelated to this. It's a bonus only, as a means of tackling the ginormous infrastructure deficit in this province and city.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:35 AM

^Again, I pay MPI to insure my vehicle. I don't pay them to fix roads or do other things NOT related to the insurance of my vehicle. If that's part of the contract I want to know that up front.

Otherwise, you are stealing from me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan