HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
mkes sens to put them in a swamp

kiding aside the what? i work with water treating it
Canada Water Agency.
https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...-we-heard.html

The Provinces usually have a similar water management type agency.

Here's the CBC article about it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.6795047

Federal budget calls for Winnipeg to serve as HQ for new Canada Water Agency

New standalone entity expected to be responsible for water science, water quality, floods and droughts

The 2023 federal budget calls for a new national water agency to be based in Winnipeg, provided Justin Trudeau's Liberal government remains in power long enough to see it established in the Manitoba capital.

The budget announced on Tuesday calls for the creation of the Canada Water Agency, a new federal entity with a headquarters in Winnipeg.

While the federal government is still determining precisely what the new agency will do, one Winnipeg-based environmental organization expects it to become a one-stop shop for water science, water quality assessment and water management.

"This is something that we don't actually have in this country at the moment," said Matt McCandless, a vice-president for the non-profit International Institute for Sustainable Development.

Right now, municipalities, provinces and Indigenous authorities take different approaches to managing water quality, water science, flooding and droughts, said McCandless, adding a national water agency could provide more co-ordination.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Canada Water Agency.

New standalone entity expected to be responsible for water science, water quality, floods and droughts

The 2023 federal budget calls for a new national water agency to be based in Winnipeg, provided Justin Trudeau's Liberal government remains in power long enough to see it established in the Manitoba capital.

The budget announced on Tuesday calls for the creation of the Canada Water Agency, a new federal entity with a headquarters in Winnipeg.
First of all this is a good idea if it gets done. Water issues are close to our hearts in Manitoba, and water quality/availability is going to be a major issue in the future. However, though not wanting to play the cynic, I thunk it's no more than 50-50 this will actually happen. i hope I'm wrong.

I assume that, if it happens, it will occupy existing office space somewhere. I would wish it to be downtown, but I can see it in South Winnipeg/U of M.

Best dream possible-they build a new building downtown to house it on an empty lot. Yep, just dreaming, but dreaming big.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Canada Water Agency.

While the federal government is still determining precisely what the new agency will do, one Winnipeg-based environmental organization expects it to become a one-stop shop for water science, water quality assessment and water management.

"This is something that we don't actually have in this country at the moment," said Matt McCandless, a vice-president for the non-profit International Institute for Sustainable Development.

Right now, municipalities, provinces and Indigenous authorities take different approaches to managing water quality, water science, flooding and droughts, said McCandless, adding a national water agency could provide more co-ordination.
surprized as this should be in alberta with the looming mess with the tar sands brews but ok sweet for wpg

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:18 PM

Quote:
surprized as this should be in alberta with the looming mess with the tar sands brews but ok sweet for wpg
I think the official position of the current Alberta government is "there IS no problem with the "oil" (tar) sands". Nothing to see here."

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:45 PM

It could go anywhere. They chose Wininpeg because "Winnipeg, he said, is the ideal place to base the organization, given the geography and the presence of existing water science organizations." In terms of pure proximity to large amounts of water. There are some very large lakes in Manitoba that the Feds are helping to clean-up.

I'd assume it will go downtown in near proximity to one of the other Federal agencies. I would not expect a new shiny mega tower or something like that. They'll rent space in an existing building. But again I have no idea sand am just speculating.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:08 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Either that or out at the UofM next to the Freshwater Institute, already a Federally owned and operated facility and home of Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
It could go anywhere. They chose Wininpeg because "Winnipeg, he said, is the ideal place to base the organization, given the geography and the presence of existing water science organizations."
They close Winnipeg because the federal Liberals are hurting for votes on the Prairies, and Winnipeg is the one city in the region that is electorally competitive. Why throw money at Calgary or Regina when they'll never vote for you? Amusingly, the logic stays the same for any future Tory government. Why throw money at AB and SK when they'll vote for you regardless?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:50 PM

It's funny. In the same news article. The Premier rails on about the carbon tax.

Like a point and 'Look!' thing. Look over there, not at this thing the Liberals are doing for our Province.

Has everyone received their bribe, I mean inflation reduction cheque, from the Premier yet? Or your school tax rebate cheque, in which I still have no idea how they're actually paying for?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^Either that or out at the UofM next to the Freshwater Institute, already a Federally owned and operated facility and home of Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
That was my first thought as well, but it all depends on capacity, though. I expect the DFO building is full up. My money is leasing space from the Ellice building.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:51 PM

Smith Street Parkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Is the Smith Street Parkade that you are talking about the one across from the Marlborough?
Yes, I do recall that is what is referred to.Directly across from The Marlborough Inn, which has been sold & slowly being restored & taken back to a more upscale hotel it deserves to be given the beautiful dining spaces, banquet rooms..etc .
Nightclub/ bar closed..they eventually want to change the image & appeal to attract the upscale Fort Garry Hotel client.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 5:23 PM

Quote:
The Lake Winnipeg watershed has 7 million people living within it (including the North Sask in Edmonton) and the Lake is on the verge of dying from the algae bloom caused by excess nitrogen and phosphorus coming from pesticides and fertilizers used for irrigating the farmland here. It’s consuming the oxygen of the lake itself which could decimate the aquatic life.

Not to mention, the city of Winnipeg historically has had several historical creeks that fed into marshes so the Red River could get filtered. However, most of them have been paved over and has made the Lake Winnipeg issue worse.

That’s not even going into the sewage overflows because most of the inner city is on combined sewer systems. We also have a bunch of dams throughout various rivers for Hydro. Oh yea almost forgot but the Churchill river diversion has greatly impacted the wildlife in northern Manitoba.

If they don’t fix the major water problems here, then it could have major implications on North Dakota, Minnesota, Sask, and Alberta as well. Pair that with all the achievements related to water such as the floodway, retention ponds, and Hydro and it seems Winnipeg is a fitting choice.

The 100,000 or so lakes probably helps the case too.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 5:35 PM

With one policy change Winnipeg's housing stock would be vastly improved, and open up innumerable opportunities for development on sites currently deemed unfeasible. Tell your friends...

https://www.archpaper.com/2023/03/wh...es-one-reason/

Quote:
...it is the peculiar anomaly that requires multifamily buildings to include a second staircase with a connecting corridor for buildings with more than 3 stories. Outside of the U.S. and Canada, this requirement is largely non-existent. It is this regulation that causes our multifamily housing to vary dramatically from the rest of the world. It results in significantly larger buildings with units that are less livable, less climate adaptive, less family friendly, less community-oriented—and potentially much more expensive—than most other countries.
Edit:
If anyone is interested in following these developments in a Canadian context... https://secondegress.ca/
Their proposal for Canada would cap single staircases at 6 storey sprinklered buildings.

Last edited by building_lover; Mar 30, 2023 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:42 PM

This is a fire code type thing I would assume?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by building_lover View Post
With one policy change Winnipeg's housing stock would be vastly improved, and open up innumerable opportunities for development on sites currently deemed unfeasible. Tell your friends...

https://www.archpaper.com/2023/03/wh...es-one-reason/
I'd be okay with this, but only if we had rules against gas appliances in such buildings. I understand that with sprinklers, fire rated wall assemblies, etc., there's sometimes less of a need for egress... but I wouldn't want to live in a building with fewer egress options if the building had gas lines.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:59 PM

It mentions in the article Germany relies upon aerial means for a secondary egress. So ladder trucks would rush to the scene while people are trapped in their suites. Classic scene of a burning building with people up on the big ladder.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 7:00 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I'd be okay with this, but only if we had rules against gas appliances in such buildings. I understand that with sprinklers, fire rated wall assemblies, etc., there's sometimes less of a need for egress... but I wouldn't want to live in a building with fewer egress options if the building had gas lines.
What's the increased hazard in your view from that?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 7:20 PM

Statistically there is no added hazard. If the Winnipeg fire department does not believe it can perform its duties to the same standard as the vast majority of the rest of the world, that would be a problem in and of itself.

Quote:
Fire doesn’t burn differently in the U.S. than it does in Switzerland, a country with the lowest fire death rate in the world and where unsprinklered single-stair high-rises are legal. France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Singapore, Austria, and numerous other countries allow significantly taller Point Access Blocks while having better outcomes on life safety.
If anyone is interested in following these developments in a Canadian context... https://secondegress.ca/
Their proposal for Canada would cap single staircases at 6 storey sprinklered buildings.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:38 PM

CBC Manitoba French has reported that the Manitoba Possible project for the old St. B city hall vicinity is off. They're blaming it on soaring construction costs as the main factor for the cancellation. The city says talks are on-going with other interested parties. Sleepy, under-utilized Provencher is assured for at least another decade or two!

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...iface-winnipeg

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:54 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
CBC Manitoba French has reported that the Manitoba Possible project for the old St. B city hall vicinity is off. They're blaming it on soaring construction costs as the main factor for the cancellation. The city says talks are on-going with other interested parties. Sleepy, under-utilized Provencher is assured for at least another decade or two!

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...iface-winnipeg
I mean, to be fair, this project would not necessarily have changed things all that much in terms of activity on the street, but it would have helped fill things in a bit.

Hopefully someone comes up with a solid proposal that can actually afford to do something.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If I was a business owner/building owner in the area I would be happy the movie circus is in the fenced in compound and not taking up a few blocks of parking that potential customers would otherwise be blocked from using.

The only other secure lot I can think of is the small parking lot on the north side of the decommissioned King St. hydro substation.
Thought I would comment on this as well…

The parking and circus historically would be located on the 60,000ft2 back lot of Manitoba film Studios at Gomez / Higgins for example. This income helps to offset costs when the stage would be empty and realty taxes still need to be paid to the City. This is a zoned use.

When an entity such as Centre Ventures “facilitates” Market Lands for film use in this way, it directly takes that income away from an industry player making their business less viable. Instead of the funds going to the land owners / building owner/ business owner, the income flows directly to CV for salary and office expenses.

As Market Lands will not be built out for years, these lands have / will become the de facto parking lot / circus. If that income has disappeared now for the next 5 years, what impact does that have?

Greater than you may think and affects strategic planning for Real Estate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan