HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Two bigger projects issued permits yesterday:

1) One building for Union West issued a permit at 939 W Washington (Washington & Sangamon). 15 stories with 358 units .

2) 810 W Wayman St (Wayman & ~ Halsted). AKA 333 N Green St. 19 story office building part of the larger Sterling Bay development.
Great to see 3 West Loop projects in the past 2 days!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:53 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I disagree that this is better than a surface lot.

It’s actually much, much worse. A bigger, more prominent eyesore and harder to replace.

That is the type of building that the city should prevent being built through some sort of architectural review board. Hideous.
I don't know about preventing a building from being built but at least a color scheme regulation. That building is just all kinds of terrible. At least some better colors would save it a little.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:30 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
I'm just concerned its gonna be cheap facade panels like all of the other hotels in this brand, which I guess is better than a surface lot.

Case in point--
https://www.toyoko-inn.com/content/g...C%EF%BC%89.JPG
Toyoko Inn - https://www.toyoko-inn.com/content/g...C%EF%BC%89.JPG
I tried quickly playing around with the color scheme a little to try to make it more appealing, but these are very poorly designed buildings.

https://i.imgur.com/TqPixdV.jpg
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Apr 13, 2018 at 6:48 PM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks when referring to off-topic images

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Great to see 3 West Loop projects in the past 2 days!
I'm actually a bit interested in the fact that the community meeting for the 333 N Green was just 2.5 months ago and somehow they've already scored a building permit. Expediting for Amazon!? jk LOL

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I'm actually a bit interested in the fact that the community meeting for the 333 N Green was just 2.5 months ago and somehow they've already scored a building permit. Expediting for Amazon!? jk LOL
Watch Curbed take your comment seriously, and write an article about it

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:19 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I
But then again, it is squeezing itself on a crazy irregular shaped block with a small sliver of street frontage, so its understandable that they wont be spending big bucks on a top notch design. But I do agree, glass would be nice, and offer some interesting contrast with the terra cotta beauty at 547 W Van Buren.

The fact that its replacing a parking lot is an added bonus.
Eh, I get what you're saying but at the same time, site constraints often lead to more interesting buildings. Additionally, the current parking lot holds probably 50 cars? The new building has parking for 120+. Not great and certainly not necessary given the location.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 3:38 AM

Quote:
More like expediting for a Google expansion that's pretty much already in the bag to at least some degree.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
More like expediting for a Google expansion that's pretty much already in the bag to at least some degree.
That would be awesome if Chicago landed that expansion. Was it 5000 people?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Watch Curbed take your comment seriously, and write an article about it
LOL this is a great comment

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Screw that!

We don’t need another layer of bureaucracy stopping development in this city
If this is the development, then it should be stopped.

https://www.toyoko-inn.com/content/g...C%EF%BC%89.JPG

And the architect who designed it should go find another career.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Apr 14, 2018 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 1:14 PM
The City

^ Thats probably better than half the shit that’s gone up in River North already. It’s fine if you hate it, but an architecture review committee, especially the way things tend to work in Chicago (slippery slope towards pay to play and chest-thumping gatekeeper scumbags, etc) is an absolutely abysmal idea.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
^ Thats probably better than half the shit that’s gone up in River North already. It’s fine if you hate it, but an architecture review committee, especially the way things tend to work in Chicago (slippery slope towards pay to play and chest-thumping gatekeeper scumbags, etc) is an absolutely abysmal idea.
It was an “in a perfect world” sort of suggestion. I am well aware that Chicago is not a perfect world.

Perhaps just allow buildings to be rejected by the planning commission on grounds of being fugly, and leave it at that.

That’s how it works here. And they’ll often insist on real stone façades, rather than concrete posing as stone, as a condition of approval.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 2:24 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
No, that thing is actually MUCH worse than most of what's been going up in River North/Gold Coast, tup. I agree completely that the building posted is horrendous, no doubt about it! I also agree that an architecture review committee, while good-intentioned, adds yet another layer of bureaucratic bullshit to an already-convoluted approval process. I just wish that developers wouldn't turn everything into a game of let's see who can build the ugliest building for the cheapest cost!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 2:40 PM

Yeah I agree. The buildings being shown are much worse than most of what's been going up in River North, Gold Coast, etc. The image above reminds me of a shorter version of the brutalist types of buildings that are all over Hong Kong or some cities in China like Beijing.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 3:31 PM
The City

Quote:
Yeah I agree. The buildings being shown are much worse than most of what's been going up in River North, Gold Coast, etc. The image above reminds me of a shorter version of the brutalist types of buildings that are all over Hong Kong or some cities in China like Beijing.
I'm talking about the crap that went up in the late 90s/early 00s.

Grand Plaza is the single biggest piece of shit ever produced by humanity. It is a vertical spectacle of awe. One is flabbergasted by how something so ugly could have willingly been built.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:

Grand Plaza is the single biggest piece of shit ever produced by humanity. It is a vertical spectacle of awe. One is flabbergasted by how something so ugly could have willingly been built.
I mean, I don't like Grad Plaza but the building shown above is one I'd probably get depressed looking at. Not exactly the same with Grand Plaza which never affected me. When I was in Hong Kong about 6 months ago and saw a bunch of buildings like the one above (but taller), it honestly affected me and depressed me. No high rise has ever done that in Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 3:36 PM
The City

Quote:
I mean, I don't like Grad Plaza but the building shown above is one I'd probably get depressed looking at. Not exactly the same with Grand Plaza which never affected me. When I was in Hong Kong about 6 months ago and saw a bunch of buildings like the one above (but taller), it honestly affected me and depressed me. No high rise has ever done that in Chicago.
I definitely get depressed looking at Lowenberg's stuff.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 4:21 PM
1st Ward

Quote:

Grand Plaza is easily my least favorite highrise in Chicago. I honestly prefer AT&T 10 S Canal over it. At least that brutalist POS is ugly due to the important function it serves, as a massive switching station and server farm. Grand Plaza is ugly only due to lazy design...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 4:32 PM

Okay so 333 N Green St (aka 810 W Wayman), the one that just scored a building permit actually has an agreement from London-based advertising firm WPP to basically take the entire building (over 250,000 sq ft). WPP is the largest advertising/communications services company in the world. They hope to move in by early 2020.

The only office they have in the US right now is NYC (Manhattan) at just over 43,000 sq ft. So the Chicago office would be 6X larger than that. Of course, NYC is the HQ of GroupM, which is owned by WPP and has over double the space as this building, but you get the point. Good to see - that will be an influx if all goes to plan of probably at least 1200 new employees. Maybe closer to 1500 in reality is my guess.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:06 PM
1st Ward

^ Wow, that's fantastic news! Those are all brand new jobs, that will bring people to the city/metro. Love it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations