HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
The star may finally be happening apparently.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/new-de...ge-star-sunset
It says a lot when the developers of “The Star” is named “The Star, LLC” So many pages on this thread for a rendering with no actual known developer who thinks someone is going to lend him $500M which is really optimistic. Everything about this is “optimistic”.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 2:39 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Any news on sunset and crescent hts?
I noticed its still fenced off.
The site has been cleared but construction hasn't started. Would be a shame if they demolished the entire block, including the controversial mid century bank, only for the project to fall through.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 5:20 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
It says a lot when the developers of “The Star” is named “The Star, LLC” So many pages on this thread for a rendering with no actual known developer who thinks someone is going to lend him $500M which is really optimistic. Everything about this is “optimistic”.
Yea, this was from the original article. Doesn't really sound too legit but hey, we'll see.

Quote:
The developer behind the Star is a family partnership led by L.A.-based investor Maggie Gong Miracle, who is also a real estate agent, according to the Times. The partnership’s LLC purchased the property in 2017.

Edgar Khalatian, a Mayer Brown land use attorney representing the developers, said they would raise money for the project in the United States, according to the report. Khalatian also outlined a five-year plan for city approval and project construction. That would feasibly give the project plenty of time for the struggling L.A. office market to rebound.

MAD Architects has worked on other L.A. developments, including the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art and a hotel project in West Hollywood.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:35 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Lacma

Best photos I can get of the new Musuem in LACMA 6/26

and

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 11:12 PM
Paramoderator

I know I should probably learn to distance myself from that which is out of my control, but thinking about what they are doing to LACMA makes me physically nauseous. At least Los Angeles is lucky enough to have the Getty.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 12:14 AM

Residential tower near Hollywood & Bronson gets the go-ahead

The 24-story building would rise just south of the US-101 Freeway

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
June 27, 2022

DM Development and Massachi is one step closer to building a new high-rise just south of the US-101 Freeway in Hollywood.

At its meeting last week, the Los Angeles City Planning Commission voted to approve a proposal from the two firms which calls for redeveloping a property located at 1725-1739 N. Bronson Avenue with a 24-story, 270-foot-tall tower featuring 128 apartments above semi-subterranean parking for 134 vehicles.

Among other entitlements, DM and Massachi have sought the approval of density bonus incentives permitting a larger structure than allowed by zoning rules. In exchange, the developers would set aside 11 of the proposed one-, two-, and five-bedroom apartments priced as affordable housing priced for renters at the very low-income level.

However, the project team also anticipates that the apartments at the Bronson tower will command lower rents than competing developments in the Hollywood area. In an August 2021 interview, DM Development founder and chief executive officer Mark MacDonald indicated that some "micro suites" within the project would be priced in the $2,000s per month if already completed. The upper floors of the building, however, would offer similar prices to other nearby high-rise residential developments.

Steinberg Hart is designing the tower, leading a team which also includes landscape architecture firm Relm. The building, as related in the August 2021 interview, is intended to present a different form on each of its sides, with a twisting glass facade and double-height amenity spaces embedded into the side of the structure.

At ground-level, the project also includes elements which relate to the neighboring Lombardi House - billed as the last single-family home along Hollywood Boulevard still at its original location. Massachi owns the property, which now serves as an event space.

At the time the developers announced the project, construction was expected to commence as early as the fourth quarter of 2022, with the tower opening for renters by the third quarter of 2024.

The vote to approve the Bronson tower was coupled with the denial of two appeals of project's tract map, which were filed by the union-affiliated organizations Supporters Alliance for Environmental Responsibility (SAFER) and the Coalition for Responsible Equitable Economic Development Los Angeles (CREED LA). Both organizations objected to a Class 32 exemption from the California Environmental Quality Act granted to the project, and argued that the proposed tower should be subject to a full environmental impact report. A staff report recommended denial of both appeals, stating that neither appellant had presented sufficient evidence to prove that the Class 32 exemption had been granted in error.

"We are so elated at the overwhelming positivity and support for our project from a diverse coalition of stakeholders including union groups, resident neighbors, and major employers in Hollywood," said Massachi founder Alex Massachi in a statement. "It's truly a testament to the quality of the team my joint venture partners Mark and I weaved together for this catalytic project."

The two joint venture partners, while new to high-rise development in Hollywood, are not strangers to the Los Angeles area. DM Development recently completed work on The Harland, a luxury rental development in West Hollywood, while Massachi is now in construction on a terraced apartment building elsewhere in Hollywood.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 12:17 AM

And now the images:

View of the proposed tower at 1725-1739 Bronson Avenue looking northwest from Hollywood Boulevard

View of proposed tower at 1725-1739 Bronson Avenue looking south from the US-101 freeway

Bird's eye view of proposed tower at 1725-1739 Bronson Avenue in Hollywood

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I know I should probably learn to distance myself from that which is out of my control
Definitely one of the keys to happiness

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:05 AM

Quote:
I know I should probably learn to distance myself from that which is out of my control, but thinking about what they are doing to LACMA makes me physically nauseous. At least Los Angeles is lucky enough to have the Getty.
Meier's work has not aged well. I suspect sooner or later the Getty will get Selldorf to rework the entrance and the blinding white courtyard. Just think about the entrance: Why isn't it the first thing you see when you exist the tram? Why is it offset to the deep left? And, why is the lobby rotunda not directly linked to the temporary exhibition gallery?...

As for LACMA, I think the Zumthor design is brilliant. I would explain why, but I am not sure you would understand.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 10:08 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
Meier's work has not aged well. I suspect sooner or later the Getty will get Selldorf to rework the entrance and the blinding white courtyard. Just think about the entrance: Why isn't it the first thing you see when you exist the tram? Why is it offset to the deep left? And, why is the lobby rotunda not directly linked to the temporary exhibition gallery?...

As for LACMA, I think the Zumthor design is brilliant. I would explain why, but I am not sure you would understand.
I think the original Zumthor design with the light wells had redeemable elements, but now that those have been value engineered away all I see is a dismal, low slung concrete overpass that is far too small for the encyclopedic museum LACMA is supposed to be. It feels a bit like the type of museum a regional liberal arts college would build to house rotating student exhibits. While that may be a fine vibe for New Hampshire, the current design, and the pitiful size of that design, simply isn't worthy of being the marquee public museum for the second largest city in the United States. At least the views overlooking Wilshire will be nice!

And on the Getty: I think much of the museum is obviously rooted in late 80s urban design, but the overall complex still contains such a purity and grace that I am able to overlook the flaws. I think much of your criticisms stem from what you want the Getty to be, rather than what it is. The Getty is not a linear structure, but instead a collection of spaces for the visitor to wander through and explore. It's a meditative experience that one is supposed to find their own way through, and discover on their own terms. I often go there just to situate myself in one of the gardens that look out over the swath of Los Angeles and read a book. I think the Getty is one of the best spaces in this city. You decide whether that says more about the Getty or Los Angeles.

Last edited by Illithid Dude; Jun 28, 2022 at 10:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 4:28 PM

Loooove that Hollywood tower by the freeway. We need to fill Hollywood and East Hollywood with these kind of projects, the area is just begging for density.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:26 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
The LACMA revamp is necessary in order for us to acquire the Perenchio collection (or at least that's what I recall reading), which will do wonders in terms of augmenting LACMA's Impressionist and Post-Impressionist collection.

I can't find the original article, but here's a summary of its impact on the collection:

Quote:
What Perenchio Could Mean for LACMA

For a century at least, Hollywood actors, agents, and moguls have been buying School of Paris modernism. A few assembled great collections; many more assembled weak ones; and the one constant was hand-wringing over Hollywood’s failure to support L.A. museums. TV and film executive Jerry Perenchio is set to change that paradigm with his conditional bequest of an Impressionist and modern collection to LACMA. (Above, Edouard Vuillard’s “Sacha Guitry in His Dressing Room,” 1912, owned by Perenchio.)

The twist: The museum must fund, construct, and open its planned ($600 million-ish) Peter Zumthor building on schedule (c. 2023)—or else the gift may be rescinded. Back in 1971, Perenchio put up $5 million to get Muhammad Ali into the ring with Joe Frazier. Get ready for the Capital Campaign of the Century.

It’s not just a question of raising the money, formidable as that challenge is. The clock is ticking… Any delay could potentially invalidate the gift: an earthquake, a stock market crash, a construction workers’ strike, fossil discoveries on site, etc., etc. This week every museum director must envy Michael Govan, but they’re also praying their own donors don’t get the idea of gift-wrapping an ultimatum.

What could the Perenchio bequest mean to LACMA? The museum says it’s set to gain “at least” 47 works by 23 artists. It has released images of 10 works, and the press release identifies a few more by name. Some of those works are already well-known, having been lent to exhibitions and widely reproduced. It is possible to say that, in quality, Perenchio’s collection is in a league with those of Norton Simon, Walter Annenberg, and Leonard Lauder. The bequest would give LACMA its only major works by Manet and Caillebotte; its most iconic pieces by Monet, Degas, Bonnard, and Léger. It would double, or nearly so, the museum’s representation of Pissarro and Magritte. A 1909 cubist drawing, Picasso’s Head of Fernande, is one of the choicest of modern drawings, poised on the cusp of art history.

Monet: LACMA presently has four Monet paintings. Perenchio would add three, making seven—and the three Perenchio Monets would be the ones visitors remember. LACMA stands to have the biggest and best holding of Monet west of Chicago.

Caillebotte: LACMA has nothing by Caillebotte, the once-forgetten Impressionist whose few best works now command eight-figure prices. In 2011 the Boston Museum of Fine Arts paid $16 million for Man at His Bath (selling a Monet, a Renoir, a Gauguin, and five other paintings to defray the cost). Perenchio’s Caillebotte, A Soldier, must be a response to Manet’s Fifer. It might be the third most important Caillebotte in America (after those in Chicago and Boston)?

Pissarro: Perenchio’s three paintings would augment the three in the Lazarof collection and the bird’s eye urban landscape, La Place du Théâtre Français, that the De Sylvas gave the pre-LACMA County Museum. That would make 7 Pissarros in all—not bad, considering that Impressionist-rich Art Institute of Chicago has 10.

Magritte: LACMA has two Magritte paintings; the Perenchio gift would double that to four. Below center and right are Stimulation Objective No. 3 (1939) and Liaisons Dangereuses (1935). Thanks to the preeminent importance of Treachery of Images, already in the collection, LACMA’s representation of Magritte stands to rival MoMA’s holding of seven Magritte paintings.

https://lacma24.rssing.com/chan-17088308/all_p5.html

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Jun 28, 2022 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
You're not alone. The "blob" is cool and all and crossing over Wilshire is interesting......But i personally would have preferred something elegant but modern. The old museum was severely outdated in and out, so I understand the need for a replacement but some modern granite boxes with double pane tinted windows would have made me happy. I was upset when they said exhibit area would be smaller when it should be bigger.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 11:02 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The LACMA revamp is necessary in order for us to acquire the Perenchio collection (or at least that's what I recall reading), which will do wonders in terms of augmenting LACMA's Impressionist and Post-Impressionist collection.

I can't find the original article, but here's a summary of its impact on the collection:
Very interesting, thank you for sharing. I’m not huge on Impressionism but anything to raise the esteem of LACMA’s less than stellar collection is a net positive in my book. Its nice to know that there is a silver lining to the Zumthor building.

In other news, West Hollywood has voted to lengthen drinking hours and set last call to 4am. Very interested to see how this affects the Los Angeles nightlife scene.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 4:48 AM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:09 AM

how dare they

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 8:32 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
This is my favorite project in all of Los Angeles. Excited to see it built.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:34 PM

^ Definitely one of the more exciting projects in LA! Looks like the plan is to have it competed by the time of the Olympics in 2028.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Very interesting, thank you for sharing. I’m not huge on Impressionism but anything to raise the esteem of LACMA’s less than stellar collection is a net positive in my book. Its nice to know that there is a silver lining to the Zumthor building.

In other news, West Hollywood has voted to lengthen drinking hours and set last call to 4am. Very interested to see how this affects the Los Angeles nightlife scene.
The 4am last call still depends on SB930 passing. Similar bills have been introduced unsuccessfully multiple times over the last several years, with the last one making it all the way to the desk of (then) Governer Brown, before dying by veto.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post

Caillebotte: LACMA has nothing by Caillebotte, the once-forgetten Impressionist whose few best works now command eight-figure prices. In 2011 the Boston Museum of Fine Arts paid $16 million for Man at His Bath (selling a Monet, a Renoir, a Gauguin, and five other paintings to defray the cost). Perenchio’s Caillebotte, A Soldier, must be a response to Manet’s Fifer. It might be the third most important Caillebotte in America (after those in Chicago and Boston)?
The above quote seems to have been written in 2014. Even at that time, there was a noticeable omission. Young Man at his Window, which the Getty just recently won at Christie’s auction 8 months ago is likely the 2nd most important Caillebotte in America aside from Rainy Day in Chicago. It was in Texas at the time. It’s considered a masterpiece and arguably among his top 5 most iconic painting anywhere, meaning LACMA’s bequest isn’t even going to be the most important Caillebotte in LA.

Speaking of the Getty, I’ve never visually cared from the Getty’s architecture. The rooms are too similar, it creates museum fatigue, and Meier's signature white tiles doesn’t play well with the travertine. But I’ve softened to it because the overall space works, helped immensely by its location and the gardens. And the engineering and design that you don’t see is 2nd to none. If all of LA burns down, the Getty will be the only one standing, and you can be rest asssured that the art is safe. It’s a great building, but not necessarily when you view it as a visual object.

I’m looking forward to Zumthor’s LACMA after accepting the fact that his superior renderings will not be fully realized as he intended. His interiors are always a success, always impressive. He’s a master of light and space. I’m sure opinions will change when people walk through the space because living in LA doesn’t give you many references for how these spaces will actually feel. But I agree with the detractors that you don’t redo a building for less exhibition space, especially for $600M. There has to be more added value, but what’s done is done. The public isn’t going to see the earlier renderings to know what they’re missing anyway (the magnificent chapel ceilings). And LACMA has examples of more egregious wastes of its valuable real estate (renting out the Macys building to The Academy), Heizer’s Levitating Mass which takes too much space for a single artwork.

Last edited by ocman; Jul 3, 2022 at 4:48 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations