HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 3:42 AM

What is the Koreatown project?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
What is the Koreatown project?
This one. Jamison also just got funding for a smaller building just behind it.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/two-to...ound-koreatown

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
This one. Jamison also just got funding for a smaller building just behind it.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/two-to...ound-koreatown
Thanks, forgot about that one!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 10:55 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
I think that's my favorite proposal in the entire Southland. It's so appropriate for Hollywood.
It's not my taste, but I think we need more things that are outlandish/Instagram-worthy (and that's a very LA thing to say) that they are place-making because just about everything else being built is either ugly, generic, or nice but still relatively ordinary.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
It's not my taste, but I think we need more things that are outlandish/Instagram-worthy (and that's a very LA thing to say) that they are place-making because just about everything else being built is either ugly, generic, or nice but still relatively ordinary.
I think that truly revolutionary design must be controversial and this will certainly meet that standard. Whether you love it or hate it, you can't ignore it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I think that truly revolutionary design must be controversial and this will certainly meet that standard. Whether you love it or hate it, you can't ignore it.
Agreed. And for something like this, criticizing the way it interacts with the street for pedestrian flow etc, also misses the point IMO. There is always room for some revolutionary architecture in a dense neighborhood that doesn't comply with all the check-boxes of great urban design. It brings with it a certain type of pizzazz that is equally valuable.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post
Agreed. And for something like this, criticizing the way it interacts with the street for pedestrian flow etc, also misses the point IMO. There is always room for some revolutionary architecture in a dense neighborhood that doesn't comply with all the check-boxes of great urban design. It brings with it a certain type of pizzazz that is equally valuable.
Like Vegas for example. They have lots of crazy designs with far setbacks but no one complains about pedestrian interaction. It works fine.

Some people just want LA to look and feel exactly like Manhattan or Chicago. I’ve always said those people should probably just move there, since it seems like they’d be happier with that lifestyle.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 7:42 AM
Paramoderator

Not sure I would use Las Vegas as an example of a city with positive pedestrian interaction. The place is basically a bleached sunbelt parking lot. LA should aspire to more.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Not sure I would use Las Vegas as an example of a city with positive pedestrian interaction. The place is basically a bleached sunbelt parking lot. LA should aspire to more.
I agree. Vegas is a horrible pedestrian experience. Downtown LA and the core should look at SF, NYC, DC, Chicago as aspiration

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Disagree, but to each his own. In any case, I don't see a problem with the Star tower street interaction. It's an absolute myth that a structure needs to be directly on the sidewalk in order to be welcoming/inviting to pedestrians.

What would be more impactful for the pedestrian experience is Sunset getting a road diet. Right now it's essentially a highway.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I agree. Vegas is a horrible pedestrian experience. Downtown LA and the core should look at SF, NYC, DC, Chicago as aspiration
LA already has a Vegas strip which we call Hollywood Blvd. It’s pedestrian active exclusively because of the flood of tourists, but that isn’t actually what LA should aim for, a street where actual Angelenos avoid walking at all costs.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
LA already has a Vegas strip which we call Hollywood Blvd. It’s pedestrian active exclusively because of the flood of tourists, but that isn’t actually what LA should aim for, a street where actual Angelenos avoid walking at all costs.
Don't actual Angelenos avoid walking at all costs, generally and everywhere?

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 10:02 PM

City Planning Commission green lights medical office tower at Wilshire & San Vicente

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
June 23, 2022

Five years after filing its application with the Planning Department, Stockdale Capital Partners has secured the Los Angeles City Planning Commission's approval to redevelop a trapezoid-shaped lot at the intersection of Wilshire and San Vicente Boulevards with a medical office tower.

In a unanimous vote, Commissioner's approved Stockdale's proposed development, which is slated for the site of a Big 5 Sporting Goods store at 656 San Vicente Boulevard. The project calls for the construction of a 12-story building featuring approximately 140,000 square feet of medical office space atop podium parking for 418 vehicles and 5,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial uses.

The tower, designed by ZGF Architects, would be clad in glass and rise to an apex of approximately 230 feet above street level. The building is described as having a contemporary appearance, and would have a wedge-shaped appearance at Wilshire and San Vicente. Outdoor terraces carved into the San Vicente side of the building gradually scale up in height moving north away from Wilshire.

An environmental impact report circulated by the City of Los Angeles has estimated that the project will be built over a roughly two-year period. The project will ultimately require the approval of a general plan amendment and zone change by the City Council.

The Commission's approval of the project did not come without opposition, however. Stockdale was faced with three appellants at the hearing, including the union-affiliated organization Supporters Alliance for Environmental Responsibility (or SAFER), the Beverly Wilshire Homeowners' Association, and attorney Michael Yadegari. Each of the appellants argued that the plan was in violation of both the California Environmental Quality Act and local zoning regulations, and urged the Commission to overturn an approval of the project's vesting tentative tract map. That sentiment was echoed in comments from residents of the surrounding neighborhood, who focused on the project's potential impacts on traffic congestion and street parking.

Commissioners ultimately followed a staff recommendation to deny all three appeals, citing a lack of evidence in support of their claims.

The medical office tower is one of a handful of large new developments in the works along San Vicente to the north of Wilshire Boulevard, including developer (and mayoral candidate) Rick Caruso's proposed 16-story apartment tower at the street's intersection with La Cienega Boulevard. A similar 19-story tower is also primed to rise next door to a church at 333 San Vicente Boulevard.

Outside of high-rise housing, Cedars-Sinai is also pursuing an expansion on San Vicente which would add a new patient tower to the hospital.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 10:03 PM

And the images:

View of 656 San Vicente from street looking northeast

Aerial view looking north

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 10:43 PM
DENNAB

The star may finally be happening apparently.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/new-de...ge-star-sunset

Quote:
Pending approvals by Los Angeles city officials, including a general plan amendment and a zone change, the environmental study states that construction of The Star is expected to commence in 2024 and conclude by 2027.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 11:00 PM
你的媽媽

That's a sharp looking little tower. Nice height and massing. The rounded windows on the corners are a nice touch. Good street appeal and interaction as well.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 4:11 AM

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Wow, that is indeed huge news! I can't wait to see that start to shape up...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Don't actual Angelenos avoid walking at all costs, generally and everywhere?

Video Link
I should correct myself. Angelenos won’t even drive there.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 9:53 PM

Any news on sunset and crescent hts?
I noticed its still fenced off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations