HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: How often do you go downtown in your city?
Live downtown 32 17.98%
Work/Study downtown 39 21.91%
Live and work/study downtown 18 10.11%
Once or more per week 40 22.47%
Less than once per week but once or more per month 31 17.42%
Less than once per month but once or more per year 18 10.11%
Less than once per year 0 0%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I wouldn't really say that the Halifax Shopping Centre is downtown, but I wouldn't say its in the Subburbs either. To me it's it the city proper, while Bayers Lake, Dartmouth Commons, MicMac Mall are in the Suburbs.
HSC is in a semi-suburban area that was at the end of the streetcar network. Simpsons/Sears went up there in the 1910's or 20's and eventually grew to be West End Mall. The Bay was built there in the 60's or so.

My main point with my earlier posts I guess is that I don't see why it's a big deal that the mall is a 10 minute bus ride away instead of right downtown. It might have even been a good thing in terms of preserving heritage buildings. If the alternative were to have a bunch of shiny Apple store equivalents in heritage buildings on Barrington (they almost opened on SGR) that would be great, but that's not how it has played out in any small city in Canada. Most of the downtown malls in smaller cities are dominated by bland mid-range chains and don't seem to produce a lot of vitality is the older, more interesting mixed commercial neighbourhoods nearby.

Quote:
For Atlantic Canada tho, I really quite like downtown Charlottetown! It has shopping, bars, public and private sector employees, schools and people live there. For a city of Charlottetown's size, its quite impressive.
I agree, Charlottetown is great.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The large area marked "M" is what most people would think of as the downtown CBD. Everything to the north of that is effectively the "old" downtown, and apart from the Exchange District's recent resurgence, has been in a state of relative decline for almost a century. In the long run, it probably would have better had downtown Winnipeg not expanded so far to the south and west... it ended up spreading out far too much.
Winnipeg's early 20th century "bones" remind me a lot of Vancouver. Like Casper pointed out above, Vancouver's downtown core shifted and spread out in a similar way. Vancouver has grown a lot so the modern boundaries of the downtown have filled in more, but it is still a little strange to find high-end stores and crowds on blocks with modest 2 and 3 storey buildings only a couple of kilometres away from dozens of much more impressive but underused masonry buildings from the early 20th century.

It seems like Winnipeg has also suffered a bit from the 30-storeys-or-bust speculation of the last few decades. Maybe height limits would help as a kind of artificial constraint. Another good change would be to fiddle with the tax system so that parking lots are not the cheapest form of commercial property, but I'm not sure that any Canadian city has been successful with that.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
How many Canadian cities have had a historical shift of Downtown to the point where there is an "old-Downtown" and "new-Downtown". Many European cities have had this over the years.

in Vancouver, Gastown was the centre when the city was founded. It remains well preserved but is not the core of the city anymore.

I don't know enough about the history of other Canadian cities.

Winnipeg has the Exchange district. Was that the centre of the city, or just the warehouse area?

Would Old Montreal have been the original city centre and then things slowly moved to the cite that exists now?

The evolution of downtown is an interesting concept to explore.
Kingston's got an interesting story with this one.

Kingston was founded in 1673 by the French, who called it Cataraqui (a mispronounciation of the native word for the area). The French city was centred to the north of the present downtown core, near what is now the foot of the Lasalle Causeway.

The British conquered the city in 1758 and the area suffered heavy damage (only traces of architecture from the French era remain today). The French population was expelled and the city remained a desolate ruin until 1783 when the British began settling Loyalists in the area. A new city core was built up a short ways to the south. The central plaza of the new settlement evolved into today's Market Square. In 1788 the city was officially named Kingston after King George III (George III -> King's Town -> Kingston).

That was Kingston first, and only, shift of downtown since it was founded. Market Square has remained the city's core. The titular market in the square has been running continuously ever since 1801. Numerous events of historical significance have occurred in the square. Most notably, the official proclamation of Confederation occurred here. It's the birthplace of our country.

In the future, downtown will once again shift north closer to the site of the original French core. That area, which became heavily industrial in the 19th century is now mostly brownfield land that has been turned into parking lots. Large-scale office and condo developments are planned here with many proposals reaching 15-20 stories. The cit envisonages this area becoming the main CBD of the city with the current downtown to remain the city's main cultural & social centre. Thus Kingston will eventually have two downtowns: an ancient one from the 18th century serving as the cultural centre, and a modern one from the 21st century serving as the economic centre, with both existing next to each other in harmony. It will be quite an astounding thing to see.

Going off on a tangent, as much as I love Ottawa, I still think it's a bit of a shame that the capital left Kingston.

If Kingston had remained the capital, it would have developed into a much larger city. Probably around 2 million or so. When Kingston was made capital it was larger than Ottawa was when it was made capital, and Kingston is in a much more central location relative to Toronto & Montreal so I feel it would have grown to be a larger capital than Ottawa did.

If that happened it's historic core would be way larger and you'd have kilometre after kilometre of limestone buildings. It would have made a damn gorgeous capital.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:48 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Oh wow, I just checked out Market Square on streetview - it looks fantastic: https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...73.68,,0,-2.85

I'll be sure to make a stop in Kingston next time I go to Montreal.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 12:45 AM

Kingston has an amazing downtown. Again, it has lost some of the big name stores to the suburban malls (which a city that size did not really need). But it still retains some vibrancy downtown, and even had a couple chain stores for a while. I think the Indigo may have closed.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Kingston has an amazing downtown. Again, it has lost some of the big name stores to the suburban malls (which a city that size did not really need). But it still retains some vibrancy downtown, and even had a couple chain stores for a while. I think the Indigo may have closed.
Yep Indigo closed.

Last year the city went on a huge infrastructure replacement project downtown which caused lots of large-scale road closures from February all the way to November. It was stretched out so much because they rotated between sections so no more than 4 blocks were shut down simultaneously. Lots of people avoided downtown last year and there was a bunch of business failures unfortunately--commercial vacancy rates climbed 35% in 2013.

We're going to recover, though. Already this spring the crowds downtown are enormous. All week the sidewalks were packed. I'm optimistic. The surge in the vacancy rate will also hopefully put downward pressure on commercial rents.

Interesting point about the suburban shopping malls. There's not one, but THREE suburban shopping malls, plus a huge number of strip malls & power centres. The sheer amount of retail lining suburban drags like upper Princess, Bath, Gardiners, upper Division, etc. is unbelievable. Many of them are struggling pretty hard; aside from at the Cataraqui Centre (the main indoor mall) almost half the suburban retail space is vacant.

A lot of it is because during the 1960s and 1970s, there was a big overestimation of how much Kingston was going to grow over the next few decades--all official documents from that era projected 300,000 people by 2000, which encouraged REITs to set up shop a bit too aggressively. Another effect of this overestimation is the roads. The road infrastructure is largely overbuilt, which keeps traffic very low (even at rush hour driving in the city is a breeze) but it makes getting people onto transit challenging.

Staples, Dollarama, Shoppers, Source, Food Basics are the only chain stores still remaining (that I can name off the top of my head--there's probably more). It is interesting though seeing them integrated into the streetscape--typically you're more used to seeing those kinds of stores sprawled on suburban drags (except Shoppers--they have a big urban presence all over Ontario now).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
How many Canadian cities have had a historical shift of Downtown to the point where there is an "old-Downtown" and "new-Downtown". Many European cities have had this over the years.

in Vancouver, Gastown was the centre when the city was founded. It remains well preserved but is not the core of the city anymore.

I don't know enough about the history of other Canadian cities.

Winnipeg has the Exchange district. Was that the centre of the city, or just the warehouse area?

Would Old Montreal have been the original city centre and then things slowly moved to the cite that exists now?

The evolution of downtown is an interesting concept to explore.
Montreal's Downtown shifted a few times, from Old Montreal, west to the St-Jacques financial district up to the "new" downtown and financial district, built on top of rail yards, thanks to the completion of Place Ville Marie in 1962.

Same with Ottawa. Originally old Bytowne (now the Byward market) was the downtown . This shifted west thanks to the construction of the Parliament Buildings in the 1860s and was extend further west with the construction of the first phase of Place de Ville in 1967.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 11:06 PM

Kitchener's Downtown is certainly expanding, and arguably shifting, in a "westward" direction (always quotes around the direction in K-W). At the same time, Waterloo's Uptown has seen development just beyond its "southern" end (in the direction of Kitchener). The two together have people thinking about future densification of "midtown" (an new term for the area) that links the two.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 4:31 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Kitchener's Downtown is certainly expanding, and arguably shifting, in a "westward" direction (always quotes around the direction in K-W). At the same time, Waterloo's Uptown has seen development just beyond its "southern" end (in the direction of Kitchener). The two together have people thinking about future densification of "midtown" (an new term for the area) that links the two.
Could they ever link up to become one big downtown?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 5:10 AM
surely you agree with me

I definitely don't consider the Beltline part of downtown Calgary...that would be like calling Osborne Village part of Winnipeg's downtown.

The Beltline has a different character...downtown to me is everything on the other side of the tracks.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 5:17 AM
surely you agree with me

Interesting map of the residential densities in downtown winnipeg....I added the development at the Forks for something I am working on...shows how it will change the dynamic and begin to connect the residential pockets.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 12:20 AM

Toronto's downtown has shifted west slightly from the centre being at the St. Lawrence Market, to now King & Bay. And the main shopping being up at Yonge & Queen and Yonge & Dundas.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Montreal's Downtown shifted a few times, from Old Montreal, west to the St-Jacques financial district up to the "new" downtown and financial district, built on top of rail yards, thanks to the completion of Place Ville Marie in 1962.

Same with Ottawa. Originally old Bytowne (now the Byward market) was the downtown . This shifted west thanks to the construction of the Parliament Buildings in the 1860s and was extend further west with the construction of the first phase of Place de Ville in 1967.
Pointe-à-Callière Museum is a fantastic, wonderful place that sits on top of an active archaeological dig of Fort Ville-Marie. I suppose it's quite relevant.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
Pointe-à-Callière Museum is a fantastic, wonderful place that sits on top of an active archaeological dig of Fort Ville-Marie. I suppose it's quite relevant.
talking of Pointe-à-Callière . $110M expansion
http://www.ccmm.qc.ca/Documents/pres...us_en_2017.pdf

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Could they ever link up to become one big downtown?
I could see the midtown evolving into a higher density mixed-use corridor, but I don't see it becoming a "downtown" per se.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 1:21 AM
Rational urbanist

Let's do some suburbs! The City of Richmond defines the city centre to be the following:

rcc by AMetalnikov, on Flickr

rcc2 by AMetalnikov, on Flickr

The turquoise line is the Canada Line with the 4 stations as dots. As you can see, the city centre is heavily centered around this line, although it was already undoubtedly Richmond's downtown (just without so many condos). The general nucleus is at the southernmost station, Richmond-Brighouse, which is right across from the main mall that has had offices and retail around it for quite a long time before the Skytrain expanded into Richmond. The Canada Line mostly follows Number 3 Road, the city's main drag.

Personally, I think the map stretches out a bit too far into places that are either single family homes or even undeveloped land and the retail ends basically as soon as you're even just a block away from 3 Road. But "high-rise" apartment towers continue to be built farther and farther so hopefully with some retail following it in a few years that will start to change.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Agree with all of that, but I'd still say it's much more alive on the streets than, say, Edmonton or Winnipeg, which are considerably larger. I haven't been to Edmonton in a few years, but as of 2010, anyway, I remember Jasper being an absolute wasteland--all the energy was always down on Whyte. There really are still an amazing number of parking lots to between Jasper and 106th Avenue, and Edmonton really had almost no develop,ment downtown for a very long time, which was bizarre given that it was almost as prosperous as Calgary. Now that there are finally developments lined up, Jasper may develop into a credible alternative to Whyte Ave.

Anyway, even Calgary is no livelier than Halifax, really, despite it amazing growth and the buzz you feel in that city. (Plus it's three times larger.) In Halifax, on a good night in the summer, when things align just right and there's a good crowd of tourists in town, the city feels VERY alive with a jolt of urban energy--that's when the potential really hits home.

And I'm hopeful. Right now there several large condo high-rises under construction that will probably dump a a thousand or so more residents right into the core within a couple of years. And downtown retail is slowly improving, and I think more people re seeing the core as a place to go for a night out.

Do we need a big department store though? Does any city? The Bay can still be a staple in some Canadian downtowns, but the days of the big department store seem sorta over...there's probably a whole separate discussion about the role of department stores in urban downtowns, but it seems to me like we're in a more specialty-retail era nowadays.
Most downtowns are no longer the centre of activity. I'd say that in Edmonton, it's a bit more exaggerated with the Downtown/Strathcona dichotomy, but this is changing. Edmonton's downtown is probably 3rd in Western Canada (after Vancouver and Calgary) in terms of vibrancy, but Old Strathcona is one of the best, most vibrant urban neighbourhoods in the West that easily rivals the West End, Kits, Commercial Drive, the Beltline, Kensington, and Osborne Village.

Edmonton's downtown is in resurgence mode now, though, and you notice the change year in and year out. Downtown's revitalization has been going on for about 15 years, but it's only in the past 5 that it's really began to feel noticeable, I think. I'm very anxious to see what the core will look like in 5 years with the Arena built and part of the district completed, the new RAM built, MacEwan expansion likely underway, the Jasper Ave New Vision completed, Scotts Park and Centennial Plaza likely built, as well as many new condos and office towers contributing to higher day and night populations downtown. Things like the outdoor City Market on 104th St have made Vancouverites and Calgarians envious and highlight the tremendous potential of Downtown Edmonton.

As for why Edmonton's downtown is and has been this way compared to Calgary's, there were a number of shots in the arm this city's core took from the mid '70s until the mid '90s. The first was the completion of Kingsway Garden Mall in 1976, a mere 10 blocks north of downtown and was the largest mall in the city at the time (now second largest). It began sucking the retail from downtown, but it wasn't until West Edmonton Mall's first phase was completed in 1981 that things started to become more dire. Although much further from the core than Kingsway, WEM had such a gravitational pull as a destination within the city that downtown, which was the main shopping area of Edmonton at the time, began to seriously lose ground to the suburban megamall. Further expansions at WEM in 1983 and 1986 only added fuel to fire.

But, away from the suburban malls being built, another thing that was directly hurting downtown businesses in the '80s was something that many on here approve of: LRT. Although I do like that Edmonton as a city decided to build its LRT underground through downtown, the cut-and-cover approach was not kind to businesses on Jasper Ave which were siphoned off from foot and car traffic at times. On top of all this, new office towers and underground pathways and as a last-ditch attempt, even malls, were being built and pulling people from the streets with their unfriendly exteriors. Many blocks which are now parking lots were razed in the '70s and '80s for new, grand projects, which never ended up being realized when the economy took a turn for the worse in the late '80s and '90s. In addition to these issues, Edmonton was quickly losing ground to Calgary as the corporate centre of the province. First the oil companies left, but soon many Edmonton start ups in other fields, such as telecom (TELUS, Shaw) were leaving for the less restrictive and more positive environment of Calgary.

These issues are largely why up until very recently, Edmonton's skyline hadn't changed much since around 1990 when Commerce Place was completed. Edmonton spent the latter half of the '90s and most of the 2000s basically filling up vacancies that existed due to the mass exodus 20 years prior to Calgary. It took 21 years for Edmonton to build another office tower. That being said, while the view from the distance is only now beginning to change, the view on the streets has changed much more dramatically.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 1:39 PM

^ Downtown Edmonton is in remarkably good shape considering the body blows it was dealt during the 70s and 80s. It looks as though Edmonton underwent an almost US-style suburbanization where a city with a population growing at a healthy but measured pace absolutely exploded physically and spread way, way out into the surrounding fields, with many suburban tracts and roads to connect them. Throw Kingsway and WEM into the mix and frankly it's a wonder that downtown Edmonton is in as good shape as it is... it has been a very resilient area, and it has improved in virtually every way as compared to 20 years ago. That's really to Edmonton's credit IMO.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 3:59 PM

Winnipeg's downtown also suffered a similar blow. I don't think Vancouver's downtown was doing so hot either until Expo 86, though someone can correct that if I'm misinformed.

Edmonton's downtown also had/has to deal with the fact that it isn't the main employment area of the city, meaning it wasn't very well insulated from the economic hardships 25 years ago, especially when what little insulation there was seemed more interested in moving to Downtown Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 4:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

All Canadian Downtowns were distressed by the changing demographics, lifestyle, and development policies of the 1960s-1980s. The ones that came back were largely due to not only to new changes in demographics, lifestyle, and development policies, but moreover sustained population growth. Check out how much downtowns in stagnant (mostly medium-sized) cities have fared: pretty shitty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada