HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:43 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Though paved over and no longer visible, construction on the Central Tunnel continues. Last week, artist Gordon Huether visited the site to see the progress of The River Tunnel art installation coming to life in shades of blue. The Central Tunnel is expected to open in 2024.

https://twitter.com/slcairport/statu...778306/photo/1

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 10:47 PM

A couple shots of the new B gates and central node as I taxied past it from the new A gates yesterday. I’ve been in and out a few times and have only used the 5 new gates every time, so they’re clearly a welcome addition to Delta.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnslSLC View Post
A couple shots of the new B gates and central node as I taxied past it from the new A gates yesterday. I’ve been in and out a few times and have only used the 5 new gates every time, so they’re clearly a welcome addition to Delta.

Wow! Excellent photo! Thank you for sharing this with us. Keep us updated on the progress of SLC construction.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 7:13 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I’ve noticed they have been tearing out a huge landscaped berm on the south end of the park and wait. I’m going to take a wild guess and say they are probably trying to make the park and wait a bit bigger. I hope this helps with people parking on the side of the highway… but I’m not sure if it will be enough.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:32 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I’ve noticed they have been tearing out a huge landscaped berm on the south end of the park and wait. I’m going to take a wild guess and say they are probably trying to make the park and wait a bit bigger. I hope this helps with people parking on the side of the highway… but I’m not sure if it will be enough.
For starters, Airport PD need to start enforcing the curb again.

I flew in from Boston a week ago and there was nowhere for my party to pick me up curbside because every inch of it had a car idling there for 5+ minutes waiting for their passenger.

Granted, I'd just returned from Massachusetts, so the "Masshole" was strong with me. I started making eye contact and shouting, "Hey buddy! Immediate loading and unloading only!" People sheepishly moved.

Utah motorist culture has ZERO altruism. People will always act selfishly if they aren't scared of getting into trouble. That's why everyone is going 100+ MPH on I-15. They know UHP are understaffed.

At the airport, it's time to light up some blue lights and clear the roadsides and terminal curbs.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 6:21 PM

From one of my favorite seats at the SLC SkyClub today, the new gates are getting their fair use. The trend has continued that every flight I’ve had in and out since they opened have been through the new gates.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 9:11 PM

From Airport Twitter feed, Concourse B escalators going in. Still a long way to go til 2024 but progress.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 12:03 AM

I got to see the newly opened Terminal A East this weekend on a flight I had. Really gives the airport a bigger feel. I think the new area really needs the retail shops to open to look complete. It's all coming along nicely. We will have one of the best airports in the country when completed.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 5:21 AM
Lahaina Strong

found an interesting old concept for the airport.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:20 PM
Exit 298

I miss the old airport, even though simply adding an E and F concourse (as your picture shows) probably wouldn't have been enough.

The new airport is a better machine for passenger throughput. But the quirky old airport reminded me of my childhood Salt Lake City of the 1980s/90s.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 5:08 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Some additional pics of the escalator install into Concourse B.
https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/reb...gress-gallery/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 7:08 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Some additional pics of the escalator install into Concourse B.

Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing this with us. Don’t forget to install the elevator!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:02 AM
Lahaina Strong

Phase 3 Concession Announcement

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 3:55 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Earlier this week, the Airport’s Greeting Room was named after the former senator, astronaut, Salt Lake City Mayor, and Navy pilot. The Senator Jake Garn Greeting Room was the site of a brief ceremony to honor Garn who was joined by
the SLC Mayor and members of the SLC Council for a photo in front of the Garn Art Mural, created by artist Gordon Huether.

https://twitter.com/slcairport/statu...576530432?s=20

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 4:01 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

South Concourse East terrazzo polish

South Concourse East glass cleaning

Tunnel Portal

North Concourse East north metal panel install

North Concourse East Hi Roof SOMD placement

North Concourse East SkyClub escalator pick

South Concourse East terrazzo polishing

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 5:33 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone know if they are planing to make more changes to the economy lot. about a year ago they moved stops 1-5 and eliminated 6-8... however they never renamed 9-11 Whitch is kind of weird and makes me think that they might be planning on relocating those stops or something, because there is no reason they couldn't have reused the signage from 6-8. At one time the economy lot had 12 stops, now it only has 8.. maybe they are planning on adding stops to the newer side.

It seems like right now they are expanding the park and wait be getting rid of a huge landscaping area. this will be a huge help.

Also what are they building on the roadway by the entrance to the airport property?

Has anything been said about what the plan is for all the land formerly occupied by the wingpoint golf courses? They tore the main building down about a year ago.

I like to go to the pre TSA Starbucks and check on the construction (that I can see). It looks like they have cleard a lot of construction stuff out of the area on the south side of the east terminal 1 area... however they have busted big squares of concrete out in front of a few of the gates... I'm assuming that this whole area has to be wrapped up in the next few weeks so that jets can get to the gates that are opening next month.

Last edited by ajiuO; Jul 6, 2023 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 6:05 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Does anyone know if they are planing to make more changes to the economy lot. about a year ago they moved stops 1-5 and eliminated 6-8... however they never renamed 9-11 Whitch is kind of weird and makes me think that they might be planning on relocating those stops or something, because there is no reason they couldn't have reused the signage from 6-8. At one time the economy lot had 12 stops, now it only has 8.. maybe they are planning on adding stops to the newer side.

It seems like right now they are expanding the park and wait be getting rid of a huge landscaping area. this will be a huge help.

Also what are they building on the roadway by the entrance to the airport property?

Has anything been said about what the plan is for all the land formerly occupied by the wingpoint golf courses? They tore the main building down about a year ago.

I like to go to the pre TSA Starbucks and check on the construction (that I can see). It looks like they have cleard a lot of construction stuff out of the area on the south side of the east terminal 1 area... however they have busted big squares of concrete out in front of a few of the gates... I'm assuming that this whole area has to be wrapped up in the next few weeks so that jets can get to the gates that are opening next month.
The parking lot is being expanded down into the old golf course, I'd bet that has something to do with the changes you've noticed. Personally, I wish they'd just build more parking structures. SLC's economy lot is big enough to fit another major airport inside of it. As I understand the golf course will become employee parking and allow the economy lot to push into the current employee lot.

As for the construction at the entrance, It's Gordon Huether's "Gateway Sculpture". It'll stand at a whopping 90' tall. Expect the airport to formally announce it sometime in the coming weeks. They also have another art installation that may have something to with the Hoberman Arch. The airport played all elusive about it when I asked.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 7:05 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
The parking lot is being expanded down into the old golf course, I'd bet that has something to do with the changes you've noticed. Personally, I wish they'd just build more parking structures. SLC's economy lot is big enough to fit another major airport inside of it. As I understand the golf course will become employee parking and allow the economy lot to push into the current employee lot.

As for the construction at the entrance, It's Gordon Huether's "Gateway Sculpture". It'll stand at a whopping 90' tall. Expect the airport to formally announce it sometime in the coming weeks. They also have another art installation that may have something to with the Hoberman Arch. The airport played all elusive about it when I asked.
I wonder how that will work. If it will have a separate entrance or if the roads will be changed… also the golf courses is huge… what they should do is move the economy lot to the west side golf course (including current employees parking), move employee parking to the golf course on the east side of the roadway… then they could use the old econo lot for future parking structure and rentals.

Another thing I think would be could is if the land across the street from the parking spot on North Temple was rezoned and developed in to airport hotels. I think this would be a much better location than west of the airport where thoes type of hotels currently are… they could even potentially add a trax station there. I would give easier access to thoes with extended layovers, and also give them quick transportation to downtown… would also add to the redevelopment of North Temple. I this scenario it would also be cool to extend the free fair zone to the airport… this could help to make an impression on visitors.

The land west of the airport should just be industrial.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 3:54 PM

Delta’s investment in Salt Lake City grows with new pilot training facility

Delta broke ground Thursday on a new pilot training facility in its key Mountain West hub, Salt Lake City. The SLC training facility will complement Delta’s Atlanta training facility, which has 34 full flight sims, plus 13 Flight Training Devices (FTDs) and 20 Procedure Trainers (PTs).

Located next to Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC), this 47,000-square-foot facility marks the next chapter of Delta’s investment in its 5,400 employees in Utah and their customers.

At a glance: SLC Flight Training Center

Building size = 47,413 square feet (about half the area of a Manhattan city block)

Includes four high ceiling bays to accommodate Full Motion Simulators

Includes four Procedure Trainers and easily accessible infrastructure that supports them

Five classrooms, with expansion space for additional four classrooms

Ten briefing rooms

Expansion space on the site for six additional Full Motion Simulators

Best-in-class environmental & sustainability features throughout

Last edited by delts145; Jul 12, 2023 at 4:50 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West