HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
while I want to like it, this seems a bit of a mash up of "everything that's trendy in the world of architecture right now." Pick a lane! That said, could turn out damn nice- I will reserve judgement for further renders/construction.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:28 PM

Real question - Besides the economics, developers, market cycles, etc - Is there anything stopping a supertall from going up in the West Loop?

I continue to be floored by the gravity of development that continues to churn along, even in the face of macro economic head winds. You would think at some point, the neighborhood moves beyond trendy/hip/startup to "Hey - Time to get the big boys in now".

Just seems like that's the direction it's heading, assuming NIMBY folks don't cater any solid interest. It was just a couple years ago it seemed like 900 W. Randolph was a bold proposal. Now we are seeing several coming out at a time that mirror its height.

Thanks for the renderings of 1234 too - I love it!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:35 PM

If we're excluding "economics, developers, market cycles, etc", then the only thing stopping a supertall is the abundance of land in Fulton Market. Even though there aren't that many vacant lots, there are a lot of low-slung buildings. As more of them get developed, the more developers will be forced to build vertically instead of horizontally.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:10 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
while I want to like it, this seems a bit of a mash up of "everything that's trendy in the world of architecture right now." Pick a lane! That said, could turn out damn nice- I will reserve judgement for further renders/construction.
I agree. Looks like two quirky boxes mashed together. Hopefully the real world implementation isn't so nutty looking.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:21 PM

Big Deahl

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 3:04 PM

Cassidy Tower

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:40 PM
1st Ward

Man I wish we could get rid of the at-grade Metra tracks coming out of Union Station. Its such an absolute mess, especially during rush periods. That entire stretch of tracks from Canal all the way to Ogden either needs to be raised up on a viaduct, or put below grade, or some sort of combination of the two. Fat chance of it happening anytime soon, however.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Man I wish we could get rid of the at-grade Metra tracks coming out of Union Station. Its such an absolute mess, especially during rush periods. That entire stretch of tracks from Canal all the way to Ogden either needs to be raised up on a viaduct, or put below grade, or some sort of combination of the two. Fat chance of it happening anytime soon, however.
Isn't there some rail ROW that runs next to k2 for a tunnel to union station? It's why that development has a parking lot next door as well.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:23 AM

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 8:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Isn't there some rail ROW that runs next to k2 for a tunnel to union station? It's why that development has a parking lot next door as well.
It's an easement held by the city for a future rail corridor. That was the plan years ago, but 360 N Green and Onni's future development east of Green may block some of the corridor. I'm guessing the city has quietly given up on the plan? Seems shortsighted.

The tunnel portal would have been right at K2, though. West of there, the tracks would be at grade to go over Hubbard's Cave. So either they would keep a grade crossing at Green St, or close it off entirely and open a new path across the tracks (restore the old bridge at Sangamon maybe).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 9:21 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's an easement held by the city for a future rail corridor. That was the plan years ago, but 360 N Green and Onni's future development east of Green may block some of the corridor. I'm guessing the city has quietly given up on the plan? Seems shortsighted.

The tunnel portal would have been right at K2, though. West of there, the tracks would be at grade to go over Hubbard's Cave. So either they would keep a grade crossing at Green St, or close it off entirely and open a new path across the tracks (restore the old bridge at Sangamon maybe).
I'm a little confused by your description. Where did the easement start and where did it end?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 5:28 AM
TL;DR

Easier to sketch it than to explain verbally. Rail corridor and tunnel portal shown in purple with the Blue Line tunnels shown in blue. The K Station PD was pretty good about preserving the corridor for future rail and not putting buildings or deep foundations in the way - K2 preserved a strip of land, Echelon/Alta stair-stepped their podiums around the curved part of the tunnel, and the Jewel just decked over it with a wide span.

West of Halsted is a different set of PDs with different developers, and I'm not sure the city ever preserved that part of the corridor. Sterling Bay started 360 N Green with a design that clearly blocked the corridor, and now they have switched to one where the corridor is effectively preserved with a pocket park so maybe that's a good sign...

I also showed in yellow a separate plan to add a 4th track into Union Station. That is more likely to happen before we get a tunnel, and K Station also preserved some land for that.

Last edited by ardecila; Sep 25, 2022 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 2:02 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Very interesting. Thanks for the detailed illustration. It then goes down Clinton and connects with Union Station I assume?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 7:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for the detailed illustration. It then goes down Clinton and connects with Union Station I assume?
Well, you'd have new platforms constructed under Clinton west of the Union Station great hall. The tunnel would continue south down Clinton and then connect with the Union Station south tracks somehow so you can do through-running of HSR or Metra trains.

That south connection was never very well-defined, I think because that Roosevelt/Canal area is mostly low-rise commercial buildings that can be eminent-domained or tunneled under.

Some versions of the plan had several levels in the Clinton tunnel like Market St in San Francisco, with a CTA level for Blue Line or Red/Purple Line trains, a busway level, and a retail/mezzanine level.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 8:35 PM
1st Ward

Very interesting! Hopefully the city is maintaining the ROW west of Halsted. Once this area is built up, it will be damn near impossible to get any land for rail expansion again, without incurring massive cost and huge pushback from existing landowners/residents. It would be extremely short sighted to give up that land and those plans.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 12:57 PM

Updated design revealed for 330 N. Green

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/u...ed-330-n-green

The slender design will rise 33 floors instead of 18

SEPTEMBER 29, 2022, 7:00AMLUKAS KUGLER

So now we have 33 floors with 13’-9” in height from slab-to-slab and that shall equal approx... 453.75 feet there or so about roughly...?? The previous proposal was 288' and 20 stories

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:44 PM
BANNED

So weird as a Chicagoan to see not only a height increase but a better design...so used to the opposite. Very happy to see this, looks great (kinda iffy on the podium tho). The whole West Loop area will soon be one big conducive environment

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:29 PM

I didn't hate the old "The porch" design from SOM but it did feel like a squat cube -- especially being directly across from 333 Green. I'll take a taller, more slender design any day! Also digging the open-air courtyard aspect of the lower floors.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/u...ed-330-n-green

The slender design will rise 33 floors instead of 18

SEPTEMBER 29, 2022, 7:00AMLUKAS KUGLER

So now we have 33 floors with 13’-9” in height from slab-to-slab and that shall equal approx... 453.75 feet there or so about roughly...?? The previous proposal was 288' and 20 stories
Boooooo. I don't think the SOM design had the best proportions, but I think they detailed the form correctly for the what the envelope of the mass was.

This new one looks blandly passable, which had me thinking it's Gensler, and yep -- I'm right. (Unfortunately.)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:37 PM

Photos Grabbed From the Brochure That Add More Color to the Updated Design

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations