HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 4:20 PM

water & fountains appear to be the last thing that LA city hall & devlprs want to have going on in dt right now. The arthur will fountain in the Grand pk mall apparently is offline indefinitely. City officials at first implied it was being fixed instead of saying the drought made them self conscious about having water in ponds, moats, fountains.

https://youtu.be/CkvFZ0eFg0Y?t=754

city officials probably don't want to nag the public for not conserving water when city landmarks like the Grand pk fountain & nearby dwp bldg have moats & fountains still operating with water. I get that, but I bet the amt of water that's being saved is more symbolic than significant....dry fountains are to the drought what lockdowns & social distancing were to the pandemic.

As for when I see all the peace & quiet in dtla, that's another reason why ppl stuck on crowded fwys....living their life behind the wheel....all around it are a major irony of life in LA. Although the pandemic has reduced some of that traffic, & lowered usage of the MTA, the fwys going to & leaving dtla are often more hectic than the sidewalks of dt itself are.

I always wonder how many ppl on those crowded fwys are forced to be on them because they can't afford to live closer by, they don't want to live closer by or they require a house with 3.2 bedrooms & X amt of yard space? The only commuters in LA who I feel really sorry for are the ones who can't afford to live closer by.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 4:31 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Grand Ave Arts/Bunker Hill Station

Grand Ave Arts/Bunker Hill Station for the new Regional Connector in DTLA

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...77353753710593

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 4:56 PM
你的媽媽

^ Looking good! I like the high end looking metallic cladding.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 6:25 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
3 Towers being built in a city with a metro population of 13 million people is worrying. It should be 10 times that amount. Not because "LA is the second largest city in the country and needs more tall buildings" but simply for the fact that we're in a severe housing crisis and literally have zero room to keep sprawling out. The city should be greenlighting any proposal deemed safe to build and BEGGING developers to build here.
Not only that, 3 500-700+ footers is basically a boom by LA standards. This is kinda true in many US cities, sprawl-y ones too. I guess Houston is buildings lots of high-rises (mostly sub 500 but a few over), but take a look at Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, Atlanta etc. So few towers rising.

Even in Denser cities like SF or Seattle there's surprisingly little activity.

Obviously cities go through cycles and that there will be low points but still...

Quote:
^ Given your tagline, still posted 2 yrs after late 2020, are you being serious or wishing ill will on dtla?
I don't really know that much about Caruso other than that he'd apparently spur development, I'm assuming he's Republican, too.

Generally I'm Left-ish, but am sick of the Democrats, especially in California. My comment was kind of tongue in cheek anyway.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 6:46 PM
DENNAB

Also, does 5700 Wilshire have a shot or is that a stale proposal? That one is pretty awesome.

Quote:
Because it takes this dumb city years to approve and entitle projects when it should take 6 months
Speaking of this, if Crescent Height's 800+ footer downtown is approved (I believe it is?) why haven't they started yet?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Also, does 5700 Wilshire have a shot or is that a stale proposal? That one is pretty awesome.

Speaking of this, if Crescent Height's 800+ footer downtown is approved (I believe it is?) why haven't they started yet?
The former is Onni and there was some activity in terms of planning last year, so probably? Of all the large 'outlandish' proposals, that is definitely the one I would bet on getting built.

As for Crescent Heights, I've been wondering that too. It was approved in May 2021, so it's been over a year. The firm has done at least 2 projects in LA, and given that it took 5 years for 1045 Olive to get approved, 1 year isn't that long in comparision, but I am a bit nervous about it.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
Grand Ave Arts/Bunker Hill Station for the new Regional Connector in DTLA
That station & the one in little tokyo seem to be taking longer to be completed than I thought they'd be by this time around almost sept 2022.

this isn't the connector line, but I'm sure it will look similar to this line serving crenshaw several miles to the west....seeing more train lines nearly completed in LA...& still looking clean & new...always makes me feel good....

Video Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I don't really know that much about Caruso other than that he'd apparently spur development, I'm assuming he's Republican, too.
I believe he's similar to LA's richard riordan of the 1990s & maybe is a bit less progressive than NYC's former mayor michael bloomberg of the late 2010s was.

I'm not sure how both the investment & corporate community will be affected by the political one, at LA city hall or state govnt....& visa versa. dtla has both fallen apart & done well over the past 50 yrs, regardless of what the investment, real estate & political communities have done or not done. But it's obviously better for dt to have everything & everyone working together instead of fearing or fighting one another. If dtla isn't kept safe & clean, than the area's reputation is going to take a beating, as it has suffered in the past. In that case, it will be the ppl of dt taking a trip back to the future. So they should vote accordingly...but voters in dt are only one part of the entire city of LA

I can think of political forces that have hurt cities like NYC & also investment or real estate ones too. NYC's Madison Ave, which is their version of LA's rodeo dr, saw a lot of vacant storefronts well before the pandemic hit in early 2020. That's because property owners have been charging such high rents that businesses are forced out...landlords in the past have resisted lowering rent. however, I don't know exactly what things are like in that city's Manhattan or ones like LA's dtla in the last half of 2022. Again, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Is absolutely a horrible design, much like the rest of LA live (sterile, boring and dry) but probably needs to be very basic because of all the use it gets from events and gatherings
Sad but true. The funny thing is the one thing that made it feel lively every time i went was the people walking around. Just so odd how even its interior still managed to find a way to be facing inward onto itself. Feels more like alley ways than pedestrian walkways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Agreed. They should add a few water fountains and taco stands.
I was thinking the same honestly. Anchored food trucks, A smidge more greenery, palm trees are blah if not taken care of properly, streetlamps (oddly missing from the rendering) and some outdoor art. I assume like LAsportsfan said it was done this way for events and gatherings, so it makes sense, but maybe leave the center open while the sides have greenery and seating areas and etc. interchangeable depending on the event.

Glad Staples is getting an upgrade though. Was looking a tad dated the last time i went. They had no choice since Intuit dome is coming online quickly. It will for sure be taking a few concerts with it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Sad but true. The funny thing is the one thing that made it feel lively every time i went was the people walking around. Just so odd how even its interior still managed to find a way to be facing inward onto itself. Feels more like alley ways than pedestrian walkways.

I was thinking the same honestly. Anchored food trucks, A smidge more greenery, palm trees are blah if not taken care of properly, streetlamps (oddly missing from the rendering) and some outdoor art. I assume like LAsportsfan said it was done this way for events and gatherings, so it makes sense, but maybe leave the center open while the sides have greenery and seating areas and etc. interchangeable depending on the event.

Glad Staples is getting an upgrade though. Was looking a tad dated the last time i went. They had no choice since Intuit dome is coming online quickly. It will for sure be taking a few concerts with it.
I don't see how they could convince restaurants to pay expensive LA Live rents only to have them compete with low overhead food trucks.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 7:07 AM

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I don't see how they could convince restaurants to pay expensive LA Live rents only to have them compete with low overhead food trucks.
True. But they are already competing with the food trucks who park sometimes on Olympic, places in Pico Union, Westlake and etc. Similar scenario in Downtown Long Beach. Food trucks line Ocean Blvd. a lot of nights, competing with restaurants along Pine, at the pike and surrounding area. People who want fine/fancy dining will eat at those places. People who are currently leaving staples and "heading home" to eat will have an option. If anything, people lingering in the plaza will push up demand to eat regardless. 20 + years of staples center, SOOO many games/concerts/ shows and i can honestly tell you I've only eaten 3 times there. the other 95% of the time i run to cheaper options elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
True. But they are already competing with the food trucks who park sometimes on Olympic, places in Pico Union, Westlake and etc. Similar scenario in Downtown Long Beach. Food trucks line Ocean Blvd. a lot of nights, competing with restaurants along Pine, at the pike and surrounding area. People who want fine/fancy dining will eat at those places. People who are currently leaving staples and "heading home" to eat will have an option. If anything, people lingering in the plaza will push up demand to eat regardless. 20 + years of staples center, SOOO many games/concerts/ shows and i can honestly tell you I've only eaten 3 times there. the other 95% of the time i run to cheaper options elsewhere.
Low cost dining isn't their playbook. They want to attract people that pay high prices for food that is mediocre at best.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Counting about 40 stories, so about 50 more feet till the top of the parapet. I'm really curious as to see how high the mechanical penthouse will extend since some diagrams show it rising only about ten feet above the parapet, while others show it extending a whopping 40 feet.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 6:42 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
The former is Onni and there was some activity in terms of planning last year, so probably? Of all the large 'outlandish' proposals, that is definitely the one I would bet on getting built.
Onni seems to have a good track record, is that one mostly office?

Quote:
As for Crescent Heights, I've been wondering that too. It was approved in May 2021, so it's been over a year. The firm has done at least 2 projects in LA, and given that it took 5 years for 1045 Olive to get approved, 1 year isn't that long in comparision, but I am a bit nervous about it.
Have they started sales yet? They'd make bank off of that, and they'd beat / accompany Onni's adjacent tower.

I wonder why they're dragging their feet. Probably the total lack of skyscraper morale in this country.

Must be expensive to hold onto a site like that with no profit...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 10:11 PM

Does anyone have a link to the page that shows the Crescent Heights project is approved? I live across the street and have my eye on it daily lol

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 10:17 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
To get back on track, i don't want to derail into Politics and speculation, am I the only that loves that Chick Hearn is finally getting closed to cars BUT hate this design?? it's not good, it's another Pershing square that we'll all hate for years to come. I'm not saying turn it into a full-on park BUT all of that lifeless concrete isn't needed.....
Yeah, please no palm trees. They should use a better shade tree that has a more lush look. Put in other plantings too. This is sterile and short sighted.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 10:25 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:

Yeah, the pavers do look a bit dated. Maybe add some other type of greenery like some patches of native landscaping. Maybe some nice artistic seating as well for people to sit down, eat, drink before the game. Another cool idea would be like a permanent night market.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 11:20 PM

8th & Fig looking might be (and nice!) as it takes place in the skyline.

Has been a pleasure watching this one rise.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Does anyone have a link to the page that shows the Crescent Heights project is approved? I live across the street and have my eye on it daily lol
Here's the link that shows both environmental clearance and transfer of FAR (the staff reports link). Those were in May and June 2020, so it's been two years.

https://planning.lacity.org/developm...live-project-1

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Here's the link that shows both environmental clearance and transfer of FAR (the staff reports link). Those were in May and June 2020, so it's been two years.

https://planning.lacity.org/developm...live-project-1
Thank you! I really want to see this one start

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations