HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:38 PM
Chicago

812 W Adams

August 8, 2022

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:39 PM
Chicago

CA6 Condos West Loop - 311 S Racine

August 8, 2022

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:40 PM
Chicago

732 W Randolph

August 8, 2022

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:41 PM
Chicago

1020 W Randolph

August 8, 2022

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:42 PM
Chicago

Chicago Guinness Taproom - 375 N Morgan

August 9, 2022

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 11:00 PM

Saw this earlier when I was over there. I'm guessing theyll wait for more before they re-sandblast it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
August 9, 2022

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 2:55 AM

Thanks for the photo update solar!

I was riding divvy today up elston and appears Morton salt venue is having a soft opening. Definitely a lot of work to be done still but I actually like it better in an unpolished state I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many pedestrians in that area.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:18 PM

Broadway/Wilson Update

Facade instalation is motion for both buildings flanking the future DoubleDoor. Can't wait until these are complete

Platform 4611 (Broadway and Wilson)

4601 N Kenmore (Kenmore and Wilson)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Saw this earlier when I was over there. I'm guessing theyll wait for more before they re-sandblast it.
It doesn't really matter as the whole building will be painted dark gray in the end.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 2:28 PM

The tower crane for the shorter residential building at the Big Deahl site is coming down today. BUP reported the topping off earlier this month.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 2:45 PM

Pritzker wants to sell off Damen Silos, industrial site that once served as a backdrop in ‘Tranformers’ movie
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...75i-story.html

Quote:
Gov. J.B. Pritzker wants to sell off an abandoned industrial site on Chicago’s lower west side best known as a backdrop for the 2014 Hollywood blockbuster “Transformers: Age of Extinction.” The state will accept bids this fall for Damen Silos at 2900 S. Damen Ave. along the South Branch of the Chicago River, a 23.4-acre property also familiar to drivers on the Stevenson Expressway for its towering old grain silos.

Officials said selling Damen Silos will relieve the state of a financial burden, and a buyer could transform it into a data center, telecom facility, cannabis business or an industrial complex, giving surrounding neighborhoods an economic lift.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:37 PM
TL;DR

Not the first time the state has tried to sell off this site. I guess they're hoping the third time is the charm?

The last time was in 2014, before the boom in logistics warehouses, and before that in 2007. Now in 2022, developers are willing to do all kinds of crazy expensive stuff to put together large warehouse sites. Tearing down Crawford Plant, cleaning up the Peoples Gas site on Elston, etc. So they may take a chance on this site.

I'd love to see the Chicago Fire put their training facility here. It's big enough, a short drive to Soldier Field, and a recreational use would be better for the environment than a diesel-spewing warehouse.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:59 PM

agreed. unfortunately this will probably still wind up being another warehouse, but given the increased focus on environmental justice/equity on the SW side, they really need to start figuring out a way to find uses down here for non-polluting developments and that should absolutely be a component of the conversation. the city is already getting scrutiny from the feds for this.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:24 PM

It is a weird shaped site though not sure if could fit a large warehouse with easy access for trucks to load/unload. How did the city come to own grain silos anyway? Old owners go bankrupt?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Sad we're still hellbent on using supervaluable riverfront space on industrial uses. Dont have a problem with warehouses and such in the city, but dont place it on prime real estate. Go to European cities, all their warehouses and industrial stuff is on the edge of the city (how it should be) instead of right in the middle

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Sad we're still hellbent on using supervaluable riverfront space on industrial uses. Dont have a problem with warehouses and such in the city, but dont place it on prime real estate. Go to European cities, all their warehouses and industrial stuff is on the edge of the city (how it should be) instead of right in the middle
I mean, most European cities have industrial facilities on their rivers at a similar distance (or even closer) from the center as Chicago does.

Greenwich by the Thames Barrier (~5 miles from London) is certainly as industrial as can be. And the same distance as the Damen Silos to the Loop.

The conundrum for Chicago is that the river on the South side is not prime residential real estate. Maybe it will be in a century or two, but certainly not anytime soon.

If I went back in time to year 1900, I wouldn’t discourage the Chicagoans from building their warehouses on the river. It brought jobs, and in the long run the warehouses were easier to replace than the heavy industry.

[IMG]https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/59681caa8ed9cf7dd2ee1884/59b1c08cff719a00017cad7e_timeline-1900.jpg[/IMG]

https://www.chiriverlab.com/timeline

http://industrialscenery.blogspot.co...ge-in.html?m=1

Not to mention, the industrial and warehouse jobs in that location are stabilizing the existing nearby neighborhoods. That’s why immigrants and Hispanics in particular have remained in the area. Move the jobs to a random suburb, and there’s not a ton of incentives left for immigrants to move to the SW side.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Not to mention, the industrial and warehouse jobs in that location are stabilizing the existing nearby neighborhoods. That’s why immigrants and Hispanics in particular have remained in the area. Move the jobs to a random suburb, and there’s not a ton of incentives left for immigrants to move to the SW side.

not sure i agree with this take. it feels reductive to say hispanic immigrants only move to the SW side in order to work in warehouses. first, im not sure the percentage of locals these places employ vs people commuting in. there are also cultural reasons why people choose to live in the area, including family and community which other parts of the city dont offer in the same way at price points that are affordable.

there is huge opposition in these areas to additional polluting facilities being placed here. mckinley park is still furious about MAP, and little village is furious about pretty much everything related to the Hilco development. these communities fought for years via grassroots organizing to get the coal plants shut down which was a huge environmental win, but its bittersweet if the only consolation prize is a massive increase in semi traffic. people here want the same things anyone on the north side wants, which includes clean air and ample green space. as it stands, the SW side has among the least green space and the worst air quality in the state

the i-55 corridor is carrying way more of the burden for these kinds of operations vs the rest of the city, and its being born out through worse health outcomes for those who live here (PM 2.5 is nasty nasty stuff). simply piling more and more into this area just because we've allowed it to occur unfettered up til now is not the solution. little surprise the below map is a direct mirror image of your racial distribution maps above.

https://www.bettergov.org/news/inter...sides-hardest/

Last edited by Via Chicago; Aug 16, 2022 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 7:33 PM

manufacturing looks to be pretty equally distributed around the City of Chicago based on this report:

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...ries/CSI_2.pdf

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 7:47 PM

not all manufacturing is created equal. a small machine or print shop is going to have in no way the same environmental toll that a massive one million sq ft distribution warehouse that attracts hundreds/thousands of semis a day is going to have on a community

and yes, the north side did have a fairly toxic past over the 20th century, but it has shed the vast majority of that onto the s/w sides in recent history, and what little remains will likely not remain much longer. meanwhile the SW side is expected to just grin and bear it and be thankful for all the trash the north side dosent want, while they get nice new riverfront parks in its place

Last edited by Via Chicago; Aug 16, 2022 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
not all manufacturing is created equal. a small machine or print shop is going to have in no way the same environmental toll that a massive one million sq ft distribution warehouse that attracts hundreds/thousands of semis a day is going to have on a community

and yes, the north side did have a fairly toxic past over the 20th century, but it has shed the vast majority of that onto the s/w sides in recent history, and what little remains will likely not remain much longer. meanwhile the SW side is expected to just grin and bear it and be thankful for all the trash the north side dosent want, while they get nice new riverfront parks in its place
I'm confused if we are talking about warehouses or manufacturing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development