HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
And what was the result of both the birther controversy and this project? Nothing nefarious was going on.

When will you start acknowledging your misses?
And we know everything was on the up and up because the details of an agreement signed on behalf of the public was released. Was that really so hard to admit? The Musqueam had the details of their service agreement made public surely you can only see it as fair that the Squamish one was also?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The context and your argument was specious. You took an unrelated example of a spurious request for a US presidential candidate's birth certificate (when he was already a sitting Senator) and conflated it with Vancouver residents asking to see the details of an agreement their elected official and staff had signed on their behalf. An agreement regarding a new development on a scale far exceeding similar ones that had gone before.
Is there a legitimate reason for an agreement between two parties (one of them being a municipality) from not fully being disclosed until it's been completed.

You were using the fact that the agreement wasn't completed and in escrow to be some nefarious act.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
If you can’t distinguish the difference between those things, you have a problem.
If you can't see the difference between "this race is bad because of this quality" and "this other race is bad because of this other quality", I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
And we know everything was on the up and up because the details of an agreement signed on behalf of the public was released. Was that really so hard to admit? The Musqueam had the details of their service agreement made public surely you can only see it as fair that the Squamish one was also?
And we know Obama's birth certificate was on the up and up because he finally released it, doesn't mean requesting it was of pure intention.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Kits Point's fake outrage over a two-lane road is getting really old. Almost nobody uses that field, and even less people use the part near the treeline.
One of the oldest tactics used by sneaky folks.

Again, knowing they are basically powerless over this development, these NIMBYs will find anything else to feed and enlarge this beast created by them. Basically the NIMBYs want any large developments in their neighbourhood halted, full stop. Hence they will try to find anything to further this selfish and nefarious agenda.

This is no different from other excuses to stop recent projects, like how "shadowing" of Emily Barnes park was used to halt the development of the 8X condo tower.

The City is also guilty of using such tactics by spewing lies ad half-truths, like saying how emergency vehicles will be stuck on the Georgia viaducts, or that the road links they will be susceptible to earthquakes, just so they can sway public opinion to support them when it comes to getting rid of the viaducts.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 7:54 PM

How is Sen̓áḵw pronounced?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The City is also guilty of using such tactics by spewing lies ad half-truths, like saying how emergency vehicles will be stuck on the Georgia viaducts, or that the road links they will be susceptible to earthquakes, just so they can sway public opinion to support them when it comes to getting rid of the viaducts.
You do know that in Canada your 'anonymity' doesn't protect you from being sued for defamatory posts? The City have hired professional engineering consultants who have produced the detailed reports that show the viaducts are susceptible to an earthquake. You can find them online - they were the subject of an F.O.I. request. Unless you can prove that they're wrong, it might be a better tack to stick to 'I think the City should spend $90m fixing them up rather than replacing them', and not going into paranoid fantasy land.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squamish_language

The IPA is [sen̰aqʷ] so it's basically "sen-AQU" with the last syllable being stressed and pronounced like the first 1.5 syllables of "aqua" without the final a.

I've also seen at least one pronunciation guide which said to just say "snock".

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
If you look at the video here, you'll see Khelsilem say the name near the start of the piece (at about five seconds in).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
If you look at the video here, you'll see Khelsilem say the name near the start of the piece (at about five seconds in).
I heard it as 'sen-ock' which is not how I was saying it in my head.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Kits Point's fake outrage over a two-lane road is getting really old. Almost nobody uses that field, and even less people use the part near the treeline.
Yes, as I stated using dogwalking space as an excuse is bogus. That area of the park is the least used of a (literally) shitty park. And if you accept that any area in the city is subject to have a road built through it then Kits Point should not be immune. However, they would have a point if they were honest enough to argue that the road network as it stands in that area is not going to be able to handle a huge amount of increased traffic. Since drivers can't go south Chestnut they will all go right on Chestnut, left on Creelman and turn left onto Cypress to get out. Go have a coffee at the Sbux patio on Cornwall and see how you think that's going to work out. And since there are so many vocal cyclists here I'm surprised nobody has pointed out Cypress is a bike route.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:57 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
However, they would have a point if they were honest enough to argue that the road network as it stands in that area is not going to be able to handle a huge amount of increased traffic.
Only 600 parking stalls compared to a few thousand bike spaces, walking distance to downtown and Broadway, plans for a future streetcar... this development will be fine.

You're just like the NIMBYs, inventing reasons this development shouldn't proceed.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Only 600 parking stalls compared to a few thousand bike spaces, walking distance to downtown and Broadway, plans for a future streetcar... this development will be fine.

You're just like the NIMBYs, inventing reasons this development shouldn't proceed.
One mentality which is hard to shake is that everyone must own a car, and if they're moving here and they can't find a parking spot for their automobile, they're going to have to find street parking. How else are they going to do their daily commute to the sawmill or oil refinery or drive into the city for their groceries? (/sarcasm since this seems necessary now)

Like you say, people are missing the point that because of the ignoring of municipal bylaws surrounding parking, most of these people won't have any option to own a car which, love it or hate it, means vehicle traffic out of these buildings won't be much of a thing.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
If you can't see the difference between "this race is bad because of this quality" and "this other race is bad because of this other quality", I don't know what to tell you..
I’m white. I’m also well aware of what the issues are in this country and no, that doesn’t amount to some simplistic version of “this race is bad”.

Sorry that I didn’t add the classic “not all white people” to clarify things for you.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 9:08 PM

To counter the "And since there are so many vocal cyclists here I'm surprised nobody has pointed out Cypress is a bike route." comment

The new road between Chestnut Street and the turn under the bridge will include vehicle lanes, a bidirectional protected bike lane, and wide pedestrian sidewalks.

There will also be a pedestrian and cycling pathway between Vanier Park and the seawall, and a redesign of the seawall pathway between Creekside Drive and the bridge.

Pine Street over a route of about six blocks between the seawall and Arbutus Greenway will be redesigned at a cost of $6 million, with the First Nation contributing $2 million. The redesign will establish a new walking and cycling connection.

The First Nation will also fund new protected bike lanes along West 1st Avenue from Pine to Fir streets, along West 1st Avenue from Fir Street to Creekside Drive, along Fir Street from West 1st Avenue to West 2nd Avenue, along Chestnut Street from Cornwall Avenue to Vanier Park Road, along Greer Avenue, and along Cypress Street from Cornwall to Greer avenues.

The First Nation will cover the full cost of adding a TransLink bus transit hub at the south end of the Burrard Street Bridge — accomplished by widening both sides of the bridge deck to accommodate northbound and southbound curb lanes for buses, special bus stops, and reconfigured pedestrian and cycling pathways. There will also be new pedestrian and cycling pathway ramps on both sides of the bridge to provide a direct link to Senakw’s ground level. The estimated cost of this transit hub is $15 million.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
I’m white. I’m also well aware of what the issues are in this country and no, that doesn’t amount to some simplistic version of “this race is bad”.

Sorry that I didn’t add the classic “not all white people” to clarify things for you.
Is one of the problems of this country "white people"?

It grosses me out when white people are racist towards anyone including white people and it grosses me out when Chinese people are racist towards anyone including Chinese people. Your race has nothing to do about it.

"Yes, the tears of old, white, entitled privilege are tasty" to me feels identical to "Yes, the tears of immigrant, Chinese, greed are tasty". It's so otherizing and comes from a place of hate.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
One mentality which is hard to shake is that everyone must own a car, and if they're moving here and they can't find a parking spot for their automobile, they're going to have to find street parking. How else are they going to do their daily commute to the sawmill or oil refinery or drive into the city for their groceries? (/sarcasm since this seems necessary now)

Like you say, people are missing the point that because of the ignoring of municipal bylaws surrounding parking, most of these people won't have any option to own a car which, love it or hate it, means vehicle traffic out of these buildings won't be much of a thing.
You're in a condo? Go count the amount of cars. The condos I've been in downtown have a lot of vehicles in them. Maybe you're right and because this is close to downtown they won't but I don't see why it would be different from the building on Marinaside I was in last week which is just as close. Sure, maybe the fact Senakw doesn't provide the spaces will make the difference and residents won't just clog nearby streets or rent private parking. Then again, maybe not.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
You're in a condo? Go count the amount of cars. The condos I've been in downtown have a lot of vehicles in them. Maybe you're right and because this is close to downtown they won't but I don't see why it would be different from the building on Marinaside I was in last week which is just as close. Sure, maybe the fact Senakw doesn't provide the spaces will make the difference and residents won't just clog nearby streets or rent private parking. Then again, maybe not.
These aren't condos. They're 100% rental.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Senakw physically has fewer parking spot per unit than any other development. There's no getting around that.

886 stalls and 6,080 homes. More than likely you simply won't be able to have a car if you live in this development.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Senakw physically has fewer parking spot per unit than any other development. There's no getting around that.

886 stalls and 6,080 homes. More than likely you simply won't be able to have a car if you live in this development.
Bosa Bluesky's Granville Street rental building from 13 years ago has 106 apartments and 18 parking spaces. So providing relatively few spaces for rental buildings has been around for a while.

No doubt there will be Modo, Zerocar and/or Evo spaces in Senakw.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Supposedly about 880 stalls for the whole site, and there are I think 2 roadway points of entry/exit, so maybe 440 per side? I imagine more parking will be on the east side for the retail / office. I imagine more parking is being allocated to visitor parking rather than tenant parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver