HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 6:29 PM

Sugar house. It’s like a little Barcelona

I love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Sugar Alleys coming along nicely!

July 2022

Photos Courtesy of Kier Construction @ https://www.kier.org/our-work/multi-...y-micro-units/

Last edited by EPdesign; Jul 15, 2022 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 11:23 PM
They all float down here

It's a shame how ugly SugarHouse has become. It reminds me of a suburban office park from the 2000s. I am not even against the growth but the architecture going up today is just so fucking bland and repetitive.

Ugly, monolithic architecture is so lifeless.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
It's a shame how ugly SugarHouse has become. It reminds me of a suburban office park from the 2000s. I am not even against the growth but the architecture going up today is just so fucking bland and repetitive.

Ugly, monolithic architecture is so lifeless.
I agree on the architecture. But I love the density. It’s nothing like the suburbs. It’s nice to see an area where residential density is happening with projects this close to each other. I don’t know how ground level retail will be if any. But all I’m saying is the density is a thumbs up.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 11:59 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
I agree on the architecture. But I love the density. It’s nothing like the suburbs. It’s nice to see an area where residential density is happening with projects this close to each other. I don’t know how ground level retail will be if any. But all I’m saying is the density is a thumbs up.
I like the density too but it's just so lifeless that it has killed the vibe of SugarHouse.

SugarHouse was the most unique neighborhood in Salt Lake for so many years. It just had a vibe that couldn't be replicated outside very small pockets (like 9th and 9th). And it's been stripped away.

Even when it opened up to big box retail in the 80s and 90s, it still kept a significant amount of its funky charm.

This is the SugarHouse I remember:

And now I can't really distinguish it from this part of WVC:

Oh well. I'm just a grump.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 1:02 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Oh well. I'm just a grump.
We should set up a gofundme for you so we can buy you the best rocking chair for your front porch.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
There’s a ton of ground floor restaurants and the like there already.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 4:15 AM
Ironweed

I am getting in the ear of the CEO of Zions to build an iconic headquarters and office share at their 100 south Main location.

Will it do any good?

We'll see.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
I am getting in the ear of the CEO of Zions to build an iconic headquarters and office share at their 100 south Main location.

Will it do any good?

We'll see.
This would be everyone on this forums actual dream lol. We appreciate your attempt!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 12:47 PM

To be sure not everyone is going to have the same taste. What some might find attractive by way of design another would consider the design to be total crap. I think Sugar House has made some mistakes as far as design, but overall I think its choices have ranged from an improvement to a huge plus when compared to its most recent history of the post-'50s. I was so elated to get rid of those grotesquely cheap faux fronts that I would even consider Sugar House Crossing an improvement. Yes, if we could buy Sugar House Crossing and change it's repetitiveness with some height and facade variation here and there that would be a big plus. No offense to Mr. Mecum, but his choices for that corner were an improvement in my opinion but could have been much better. Still, overall Sugar House has made not only major density improvements, i.e. Shopko, etc. Also, a majority of the new designs from not only an improved urban mix standpoint but also a design aesthetic are a definite improvement over much of the '50s, '60s, and '70s junk that they have replaced. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the commercial shop's mix here just the architectural aesthetics. The commercial mix is a whole different topic. Given a half dozen years of tree growth on the parkway areas and Sugar House will be so much more attractive. Even the trees couldn't make up for the loathsome post '50s faux fronts, parking lots, and ugly underdeveloped duplex and four plex apartments, that existed previously. Let's hope that the downtown area of 21st South's north side will follow up with some additional replacement of a few of those brutally ugly post '50s designs like the Wells Fargo Bank. I think that by and large the very latest designs such as Dixon and Sugar Alley are even better than some of what was being produced earlier on when the buildup began this past decade.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 16, 2022 at 1:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 6:07 PM
dtwn_living

The La France apartments are gone!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 10:01 PM

Worthington

A friend was close to Worthington site this morning and noticed much activity. Nearby business proprietor said they had been advised that a major concrete pour would take place starting very early this morning.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 11:46 PM

Sugar House is a shithole now because chain restaurants and chain stores do NOT provide value. For the most part, only locally owned businesses create unique and interesting places that people want to live in and visit. Older buildings support local businesses. That's why Sugar House WAS an awesome place, despite those "crap" façades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
To be sure not everyone is going to have the same taste. What some might find attractive by way of design another would consider the design to be total crap. I think Sugar House has made some mistakes as far as design, but overall I think its choices have ranged from an improvement to a huge plus when compared to its most recent history of the post-'50s. I was so elated to get rid of those grotesquely cheap faux fronts that I would even consider Sugar House Crossing an improvement. Yes, if we could buy Sugar House Crossing and change it's repetitiveness with some height and facade variation here and there that would be a big plus. No offense to Mr. Mecum, but his choices for that corner were an improvement in my opinion but could have been much better. Still, overall Sugar House has made not only major density improvements, i.e. Shopko, etc. Also, a majority of the new designs from not only an improved urban mix standpoint but also a design aesthetic are a definite improvement over much of the '50s, '60s, and '70s junk that they have replaced. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the commercial shop's mix here just the architectural aesthetics. The commercial mix is a whole different topic. Given a half dozen years of tree growth on the parkway areas and Sugar House will be so much more attractive. Even the trees couldn't make up for the loathsome post '50s faux fronts, parking lots, and ugly underdeveloped duplex and four plex apartments, that existed previously. Let's hope that the downtown area of 21st South's north side will follow up with some additional replacement of a few of those brutally ugly post '50s designs like the Wells Fargo Bank. I think that by and large the very latest designs such as Dixon and Sugar Alley are even better than some of what was being produced earlier on when the buildup began this past decade.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 11:51 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merewether View Post
A friend was close to Worthington site this morning and noticed much activity. Nearby business proprietor said they had been advised that a major concrete pour would take place starting very early this morning.
KUTV just posted an article on the subject. 415 truckloads of concrete.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 11:55 PM
Lahaina Strong

Here are a few pictures from the article.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
I think because of following the twists and turns with West Temple and 400 South (The Air Urban Center, The Void, Held, Domain) I'm always surprised when a building is announced and construction actually begins.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
I think because of following the twists and turns with West Temple and 400 South (The Air Urban Center, The Void, Held, Domain) I'm always surprised when a building is announced and construction actually begins.
I posted I think on this one earlier, that I like the projects that come out of nowhere, and just start vertical after the application process.
This one is a prime example, along with even Astra, although they were talked about for a while before hand. This one wasn't even mentioned before the application process to my knowledge.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Sugar House is a shithole now because chain restaurants and chain stores do NOT provide value. For the most part, only locally owned businesses create unique and interesting places that people want to live in and visit. Older buildings support local businesses. That's why Sugar House WAS an awesome place, despite those "crap" façades.
If you want to decry the invasion of chain stores into Sugarhouse, you have to go back 30 years and stop the huge shopping centers from being built. There are FAR more chain stores there than there are in the new apartments. People act as if chain stores in Sugarhouse are a new thing. They've been there for as long as I've been alive. And there are still plenty of local shops, restaurants, and even bars in Sugarhouse.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
If you want to decry the invasion of chain stores into Sugarhouse, you have to go back 30 years and stop the huge shopping centers from being built. There are FAR more chain stores there than there are in the new apartments. People act as if chain stores in Sugarhouse are a new thing. They've been there for as long as I've been alive. And there are still plenty of local shops, restaurants, and even bars in Sugarhouse.
You know. I do wish they would tear down that old Wells Fargo building. I’d say build a taller building. Residential or commercial or even a hotel. Something nice on that corner.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
That's an interesting comment. Of course, Sugar House is not a shithole that people would not want to live in? In one of the fastest growing CSA's in the nation, Sugar House is at the top of many if not all credible lists as one of the most sought-after places to live. It might not be the ideal for you or me but obviously, a lot of newcomers think differently.

As far as locally owned mom and pop shops, I think we're all pretty well aware that small business is in a state of chaos right now, especially small locally owned businesses such as retail. I agree that we need a sea change all across America when it comes to small businesses. For a number of reasons shopping patterns have been turned upside down and Sugar House is no exception. There are pluses to the way we shop now, but if many types of small businesses are to remain viable they will have to adapt to having additional options other than just brick and mortar shops. I see the closures and changes happening here in L.A. constantly in some of the most formerly vibrant niche small shops districts. Even those little daily human patterns that would help the small business owner have come under assault because of the onslaught of random violent crime here in Los Angeles. It's going to take some time to recover, but the way the political climate is going it will probably never return to pre-pandemic levels. In short, the New World Order won't allow it. I'm a pretty big jacked guy but even I have changed my shopping and walking patterns completely these past two years, because of the random violence even in nice areas. For the first time in my life, I'm seriously considering carrying a weapon. Forgive me if I'm just yammering on about West Coast problems that are perhaps not as prevalent in SLC. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Until then we'll continue to shop online for most of those niche items we use to buy at the small shops or even common purchases we use to make at the big box retailers. With the price of gas being what it is, who is going to travel to a retailer when you can purchase it online and have it delivered to your door for the same cost if not cheaper.

I do agree with you Stenar that a district is far more interesting when the majority of the retail is niche and locally owned. When I begin to miss my heritage and do those YouTube walking tours of places like Rome or Paris I start to wonder if maybe I need to get back to Europe at least part-time. I keep hoping that California will start to turn around. Most of Europe is a hell of a lot cheaper to live in than the good ole U.S.A., especially if you can set up to work from home.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 17, 2022 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 2:00 AM
Engineer

Years ago I’d have agreed the newer stuff in sugar house is superior to the old stuff, but I hadn’t spent much time there. Now, having recently lived in Sugar House, I really wish I could have seen the way it used to be because the more interesting parts of the neighborhood to me were definitely the surviving older portions to the north of 2100 S like on 1100 E.

The newer stuff provides some value, but it’s not the same. It’s very chainy. Not very unique or interesting. Some of it was useful to live near but I didn’t go to sugar house crossing or center much, and when I did it was more of having to rather than wanting to. I didn’t make multiple visits to anything at the VUE. It’s really unfortunate that local retailers have been displaced.

I still like Sugar House but it’s a place like many other places, whereas the old Sugar House could have been more of an experience. I love the old storefronts (though I would not have liked them 10 years ago).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West