HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 1:07 AM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Cool, thanks for clarifying!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
^^^I'm sorry, I cannot for the life of me remember what is replacing it...so many projects in Fulton, I don't know what's where anymore
New designs and plans haven't come out. Back in 2016 they were talking 17-stories, but we'll be getting something bigger than that. Hopefully we'll be hearing something in the near future.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I will say, JGMA REALLY likes color gradients.

Between this, Lawndale Redefined, Proxima Hotel, next phase of the Sinai development, potential for the Tapestry project that Lawndale Christian is working on securing land for with the city, this stretch could look very different in a couple years.
I'm closing on the building I mentioned a while back in less than two weeks. Have a crossfit gym and coffee roaster going in on the ground floor. Not a marquee development by any means, but its a substantial building and close to the train. Currently doing nothing but sucking up positive vibes with bricked in windows and spalling concrete. The entire exterior is slated to get new windows and restored tuckpointing. Will also be letting the tenants do large murals of their business names to be visible from the CTA and Metra while deterring tags in the process.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
^^^I'm sorry, I cannot for the life of me remember what is replacing it...so many projects in Fulton, I don't know what's where anymore
Do I dare say that the West Loop almost deserves it's own thread at this point? I'm right there with you as I literally can't keep track of all of the projects over there. It's insane.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ And I hope that they succeed

The Merchandise Mart is basically one of Chicago’s most iconic buildings.
But can we get the poor building a facade restoration? Limestone spalling and damaged all over the place. But of course basic building maintenance isn't what really drives the high rents and rate of return.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:43 PM

A few sizable or large zoning applications available this morning.

1) 1800 N Hamlin. A new development with 3 new buildings and a total of 187 new units with 137 parking spots. This is known as Encuentro Square. This is very close to the 606 trailhead.

Currently vacant land:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...!4d-87.7215512

Application: https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

2) 4400 S Cottage Grove - This is the site of 4400 Grove from Brinshore that already has 84 units built with retail/commercial. This is a continuation of this for another 71 units and 72 parking spaces. I believe this will go in the current vacant land behind the already built phase on Evans:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8144...7i16384!8i8192

3) Loyola Press building at 3431 N Ashland - demolish it and construct a new 5 story, ~56 foot high building with 42 units and 12 parking spaces. This is near the Paulina Brown Line stop. Directly to the south of this a new building with 53 new units is already being constructed.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...!4d-87.6684859

Street view: https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

4) 2933 W Division St - part of the hospital campus but only 2 structures on the land (Small 3 story and 2 story residential buildings).Humboldt Park Health wants to build a new 3 story wellness center there - 45,000 sq ft site. The architect is JGMA and the application has a drawing of that and it definitely looks like something interesting, but it's all black and hard to make out entirely.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/29...4!4d-87.700719

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 25, 2022 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Do I dare say that the West Loop almost deserves it's own thread at this point? I'm right there with you as I literally can't keep track of all of the projects over there. It's insane.
Speaking of which, CTA is preparing to sell their Control Center building at Randolph & Racine to Farpoint Development. That building is kind of a dead zone (blank walls from the tail end of the old Skid Row era) and the parking moat around it is awful, so I would expect some kind of redevelopment soon.

Farpoint's been leasing most of the building for a few years now and sub-leasing to various office tenants, but CTA kept their control center on the top floors. Now CTA is preparing to move their control center out to West Garfield Park. The other building tenants are on short-term leases.

Link (PDF)

That building also weirdly pinches down Racine Ave from 66' down to 40'. I thought CTA did this when they built the building, but I guess Racine's always been narrow in that block. Not great for one of the city's half-mile grid streets. Hopefully the redevelopment offers a chance to widen it. A wider Racine could accommodate bus service, etc.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 10:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

bridgeford foods redevelopment discussion moved to the highrise thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=218289

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
But can we get the poor building a facade restoration? Limestone spalling and damaged all over the place. But of course basic building maintenance isn't what really drives the high rents and rate of return.
I have been wondering this for a long time. The fascade needs a ton of work. I hope the cost is manageable.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:33 PM

I took a cruise down Western Avenue in Google maps. It's chockablock with new 4- and 5-story infill all the way from Armitage to Division. A similar nucleus is forming on Ashland between Belmont and Addison. Throw in some BRT or LRT and now we're talkin'!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:08 PM

Sterling Bay is planning to buy the large parcel of land adjacent to 345 N Morgan, 310 N Sangamon, and is across from the planned Guinness site. $105 million is ridiculously expensive, something massive must be in the works

Sterling Bay nears deal to buy massive Fulton Market site
Quote:
Sterling Bay is closing in on a deal to buy the largest remaining development site in the Fulton Market District, teeing up what could be another massive project in the red-hot neighborhood.

The Chicago developer is negotiating a contract to buy a vacant 2.7-acre site running along the west side of Peoria Street and the Metra tracks running through the corridor from meat wholesaler Nealey Foods, according to sources familiar with the talks. The purchase price is unclear and the deal could still fall apart, but sources said Sterling Bay is likely to pay more than $105 million for the property, or at least $900 per square foot.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...on-market-site

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I took a cruise down Western Avenue in Google maps. It's chockablock with new 4- and 5-story infill all the way from Armitage to Division. A similar nucleus is forming on Ashland between Belmont and Addison. Throw in some BRT or LRT and now we're talkin'!
I would love to see a Boulevard BRT, lots of unused road space on the boulevards to make it happen.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:51 PM

The incredible amount of construction around Fulton Market makes me so frustrated that the State / Lake renovation isn't going to include a connection to the Green Line.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
maps link? i wanna see.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Sterling Bay is planning to buy the large parcel of land adjacent to 345 N Morgan, 310 N Sangamon, and is across from the planned Guinness site. $105 million is ridiculously expensive, something massive must be in the works

Sterling Bay nears deal to buy massive Fulton Market site

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...on-market-site

Good lord

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:30 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
The incredible amount of construction around Fulton Market makes me so frustrated that the State / Lake renovation isn't going to include a connection to the Green Line.
State/Lake is a Green Line stop already. It won't include a connection to the Red Line.

It definitely should, though....

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:31 PM

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 2:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I moved all of the dick-measuring insecurity to the general discussions thread.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=208431

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 3:52 PM

Crane stub is in at HuGo.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 7:02 PM

the St Anthony Focal Point project got final city council approval yesterday. demo on the site kicked off this week.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 27, 2022 at 7:28 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development