HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Here's Minnesota's stadium layered over the block just NE of the Viv - with the Smith's Ballpark field layered over that (just the field, mind you):

Looks doable!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 10:12 AM

The BRIX - Design Review - Updated Design

Staff Report PDF: http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...20-%20Brix.pdf

The BRIX’s design review is next Wednesday and they have an updated design and details.

Address: 241 West 400 South

The Basics: 11 floors, 115 ft tall, 144 residential units, 126 parking stalls, and a mid-block pedestrian access along the west side of the project.

Project Vision (from developer):
Quote:
BRIX is a planned multi-family mixed-use building on the south side of 400 South between 200 & 300 West. Envisioned as a clean, modern mid-rise structure in the urban core of Salt Lake City, Brix will be a new hub for living in the city center, with quick access to downtown, freeways, parks, and public transit. The project’s site is 0.673 acres and is in the D2 Downtown Support District Zoning District. A 1,600 SF commercial space fronting 400 S will be reserved for a local gym with the intent to be open to both the public for memberships and also incorporated into the tenant amenity package.

The project will consist of studios, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments, with a cluster of luxury suites on the top level providing panoramic views of the surrounding city. Access to the integrated parking garage will be tucked along the private street called Pleasant Court. Varying building masses interplay to create a clean, vibrant street presence. Active rooftop terraces on level 03 and amenity spaces on level 02 elevate the resident experience and provide an active face to 400 South both day and night. With a focus on healthy living and outdoor spaces, the project will contain a mid-block walkway along with a large amenity terrace for tenants on level 03, balconies for many units facing north and west, and private outdoor patios on levels 03 and 11.

A mid-block walkway is being designed along the western edge of the building to promote public interaction with the project, activate an otherwise dead-end alley, and realize the Broadway District goal of creating a safe pedestrian friendly network of mid-block connections.
UNIT MIX - 144 Total Units
Offering a variety of unit types and sizes is a driving priority in the project matrix / proforma to create diversity of tenants. We have found these are the unit types everyone is looking for:
- (59) Studios Apartments - 500 - 600 s.f. ea
- (50) 1-Bedroom Apartments - 700 - 800 s.f. ea
- (26) 2 Bedroom Apartments - 1,000 - 1,250 s.f. ea
- (9) Loft / Suite Apartments - 1,300 - 1,800 s.f. ea

Renderings:

Proposed Building Materials, Project Context, Project Site, and Site Plan:

Proposed Building Materials

Project Context

Project Site

Site Plan

Floor Plans:

Project Elevations

Original BRIX Design (1.0)

Other BRIX Design (1.5)

(This one is my personal favorite)

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Jan 8, 2022 at 10:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I could see Salt Lake going after a USFL franchise. The problem is, these leagues never sustain beyond a few years. It's just not practical to expect any league to go up against the NFL. The only way it would work is if they did a minor league but that would wreck college football, so, it'll never happen (and for good reason).

My personal choice would be a NHL or MLB team. But the latter is a pipedream and I don't see the NHL expanding anytime soon (maybe they can get the Coyotes out this way).
Why would the Coyotes go to salt lake? A much smaller market than Phoenix, especially when the new owner is pushing ahead with plans for a new $2Billion dollar mixed use/stadium development in Tempe. Maybe SLC can get the Blackhawks to move there?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Why would the Coyotes go to salt lake? A much smaller market than Phoenix, especially when the new owner is pushing ahead with plans for a new $2Billion dollar mixed use/stadium development in Tempe. Maybe SLC can get the Blackhawks to move there?
I’ll believe the Tempe deal when I see it. The ownership and stadium situation with the Coyotes continues to be a (25 year) cluster-cuss, but if they were to move it’d probably be to Quebec or Houston according to reports and not SLC. The most realistic option for Utah to get a team is MLB and that is (of course) a long shot.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 5:06 PM
Space Magi

I think version 1.5 was my favorite design for BRIX. The new one is more generic without that random window pattern and the east side is more monolithic/boring. The balconies will be nice for the residents though.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 8:00 PM

^ ^ ^ ^

Agreed, I think the west side is arguably better than before but the east side definitely took a hit. The previous render also had much better landscaping effectively giving it a more inviting feel. I think the new render is nice as well but IMO it could be improved significantly by simply continuing the north wall mural across that blank east wall.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 11:42 PM

The street-facing side of BRIX is much better now, but I agree the backside is significantly less inviting and interesting

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 2:48 AM
One Thing At A Time

Looks like it might really be happening. My money is on MLB.

https://twitter.com/ryanjsweeney/sta...999028226?s=20

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post

That's the tweet that I posted a couple days ago that started the discussion.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post

The team to look out for is the Athletics, but rumor has it Vegas was their #1. However, if Ryan Smith already owns the Bees stadium land (And I don’t know that it came with the sale or not) that would help tremendously with the ability to finance a stadium there. It’s not downtown per se, but it’s close enough and it’s an amazing backdrop for a game. Again, super long shot.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 3:41 AM
Space Magi

If there is a serious chance at an MLB team here, you know the state is going to make a push to build the stadium at the prison site in Draper.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 7:26 AM
They all float down here

Unfortunately, when it comes to any of the remaining major leagues, Salt Lake City is low on the totem pole for potential teams - relocation or expansion.

For the NHL, as mentioned above (to my half-serious comment about the Coyotes coming), there's already a list of cities ahead of Salt Lake:

Quebec
Houston
Portland
Hartford
Kansas City

Salt Lake just isn't a desirable market, especially with how much the Jazz is beloved here - as the NHL team would be in direct competition with a NBA team.

The MLB you've got:

Las Vegas (already mentioned)
Montreal
Charlotte
Portland
Nashville

Those cities get way more mention than Salt Lake.

That doesn't mean expansion can't happen (err, more likely relocation). If someone from Salt Lake is willing to pay the money to move 'em here, that can obviously elevate the city over those others.

But it's unlikely.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 7:39 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
The team to look out for is the Athletics, but rumor has it Vegas was their #1. However, if Ryan Smith already owns the Bees stadium land (And I don’t know that it came with the sale or not) that would help tremendously with the ability to finance a stadium there. It’s not downtown per se, but it’s close enough and it’s an amazing backdrop for a game. Again, super long shot.
The land is not large enough to build a MLB stadium. There were talks about expanding it temporarily in the 90s when the Minnesota Twins were looking to relocate to Charlotte, but play in Salt Lake for a couple seasons until a stadium was built out there, but nothing that would rival an actual MLB stadium.

The problem with the current Smith's Ballpark site is that it sits on an established block already with an entire residential street just south of the stadium. That street would likely have to go completely to make way for a larger stadium (the original temporary expansion plans called for adding temporary bleachers to the outfield, which is grass currently).

This is what happens when you put Coors Field on that block:

Granted, Coors Field is a pretty sizable park but it overwhelms the area.

Looking at this, my thought about it fitting on the lot NE of the Delta Center seems off - I think Salt Lake's blocks are too small to handle a MLB stadium. They would probably need two city blocks to comfortably fit a MLB stadium.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 12:50 PM

If we were to get a stadium for some pro sports league (which I still think is highly unlikely), my vote would be the RMP site. It's probably the most sizeable piece of land that is available to develop (or will be soon) near the downtown core, that also wouldn't involve significant displacement.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
The land is not large enough to build a MLB stadium. There were talks about expanding it temporarily in the 90s when the Minnesota Twins were looking to relocate to Charlotte, but play in Salt Lake for a couple seasons until a stadium was built out there, but nothing that would rival an actual MLB stadium.

The problem with the current Smith's Ballpark site is that it sits on an established block already with an entire residential street just south of the stadium. That street would likely have to go completely to make way for a larger stadium (the original temporary expansion plans called for adding temporary bleachers to the outfield, which is grass currently).

This is what happens when you put Coors Field on that block:

Granted, Coors Field is a pretty sizable park but it overwhelms the area.

Looking at this, my thought about it fitting on the lot NE of the Delta Center seems off - I think Salt Lake's blocks are too small to handle a MLB stadium. They would probably need two city blocks to comfortably fit a MLB stadium.
Likelihood aside, its always interesting to see people’s ideas on how and where something like this would go.

Obviously there is the Rocky Mountain Power site. That thing is huge and could definitely fit a major stadium and all the surrounding redevelopment.

There is also the KOA Holiday and the motor home properties across the street to RMP that would also be perfect (though they may be potentially controversial due to housing concerns). It would be really nice to build something substantial on these sites, especially with the future plans for RMP and the State Fairpark properties. I even imagine beautiful park spaces along the Jordan River that could surround a possible stadium and whatever mixed use redevelopment goes along with it.

A location that could work really well that provides more than enough land is the blocks where Ken Garff is between Main Street and State Street and 900 South and Freemont/Harvard Ave.

That’s a good 30 acres or so of underdeveloped land that is basically already part of the Ballpark Neighborhood. This could be the perfect place to build a substantial new ballpark, the surrounding plazas/greenspace and redevelopment around it while also having it be relatively close to downtown.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 2:58 PM
of SLC

Edit: never mind....

I had posted about Dave Checketts bringing the Jazz to Utah and after looking more into it, I was wrong!

But a person like Checketts, who brought RSL here, would be great. Hopefully Smith and his group can bring us another pro team.

Last edited by Boz; Jan 9, 2022 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
I’ll believe the Tempe deal when I see it. The ownership and stadium situation with the Coyotes continues to be a (25 year) cluster-cuss, but if they were to move it’d probably be to Quebec or Houston according to reports and not SLC. The most realistic option for Utah to get a team is MLB and that is (of course) a long shot.
I know the Yotes history well, I've lived in Phoenix for a long time but spend time in SLC as well.

If you follow them at all you know the new owner Alex Meruelo is a billionaire developer who bought the team in 2019, this is the first strong financial ownership situation they've had since moving to Arizona. His company has quite the track record in development, he owns the Sahara in Vegas among other things, he is certainly not someone I'd bet against to get this project done. If they were requesting major public subsidizes I'd agree that it's a long shot but their proposed plan is privately funded.

Last edited by locolife; Jan 9, 2022 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
True, those cities are probably more deserving with their clout and population.

As you mentioned, all it takes is someone with local ties and tons of money and influence to get a pro team either relocated or expanded to Utah.

Dave Checketts is the reason we have the Jazz and RSL. His timing was great with both clubs because New Orleans needed to sale their team and MLS was expanding and Checketts took advantage of both situations. Without Checketts I seriously doubt we have any pro teams at all.

Could the Smith group be the next Dave Checketts?
A third pro team might be able to work if Smith group or someone else is interested in bring it there. Trying to think of other similar size cities, SLC media market has 1.1M homes, KC has 1M with 3-pro sports but I don't know if they have large college sports in the area? Nashville has 3 as well with 1.1M homes also not sure about major college sports in the area. Cincy has about 900K homes and 3 sports as well.

I will say be careful what you wish for, it's nice to have a few very quality teams versus a bunch that struggle to compete with the same local/limited dollars.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 8:49 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
And so it begins!!!!!!
Footing and foundation commercial building permit filed for Block C (aka Residential 100 (the building along 200 South directly east to the existing ‘Jackson Apartments’)).

The description says it’s for a 16 floor tower, which looks to be taller then the more recent renderings show (about 13-14 floors), so the overall design may still be in flux. Unless, of course, they are counting floors underground (which may be possible). Hopefully that will be revealed soon.

Hopefully this means we are going to start to see more filings for this project as well as the finalized details for it (including construction start and finish timelines).

I have a hard time believing that this is going to happen any time soon as they are currently trying to lease out the space in RWP

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 8:58 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Likelihood aside, its always interesting to see people’s ideas on how and where something like this would go.

Obviously there is the Rocky Mountain Power site. That thing is huge and could definitely fit a major stadium and all the surrounding redevelopment.

There is also the KOA Holiday and the motor home properties across the street to RMP that would also be perfect (though they may be potentially controversial due to housing concerns). It would be really nice to build something substantial on these sites, especially with the future plans for RMP and the State Fairpark properties. I even imagine beautiful park spaces along the Jordan River that could surround a possible stadium and whatever mixed use redevelopment goes along with it.

A location that could work really well that provides more than enough land is the blocks where Ken Garff is between Main Street and State Street and 900 South and Freemont/Harvard Ave.

That’s a good 30 acres or so of underdeveloped land that is basically already part of the Ballpark Neighborhood. This could be the perfect place to build a substantial new ballpark, the surrounding plazas/greenspace and redevelopment around it while also having it be relatively close to downtown.

I could totally get behind replacing the North Temple trailer parks with a baseball stadium. The trailer park could easily be relocated.

I don’t think I would support building it on the RMP site though. They already have a plan that includes dining and shopping which the area desperately needs. I would not want to see a stadium cut in to that plan…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West