HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:17 PM

Yes, Thank you Mountain Skyline

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:33 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Hey Mountain Skyline, any news on "The Mix at River's Edge" development off University Parkway and 2230 N?

https://www.mixatriversedge.com

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Hey Mountain Skyline, any news on "The Mix at River's Edge" development off University Parkway and 2230 N?

https://www.mixatriversedge.com
I drive past there often and there isn't much to take pictures of yet.... It is a super slow moving project. They're still on demo and foundation work

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:35 AM

Provo

[IMG][/IMG]

Downtown

City Hall

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

PEG offices
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

PEG Townhomes
[IMG][/IMG]

85 North
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Central Station

Millrace
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

400 Element
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:39 AM

Orem University Place

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:48 AM

Massing of Potential Provo Skyline

[IMG][/IMG]

1 Provo Town Center Development

2 Mill Race

3 University Tower

4 85 North

5 Community Church Development.

6 Old City Center Redevelopment

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:37 PM

^^^
Great Updates Mountain Skyline. A BIG Thank you!!

This is an interesting development. I look forward to seeing what the Y has in store for the property.

Provo School District to sell Wasatch Elementary to BYU in land swap deal - https://kutv.com/news/local/provo-sc...land-swap-deal

Pictured, Wasatch Elementary, which sits directly east across the street from the B.Y.U. Campus
The Provo School District is moving forward with selling a longtime elementary school to Brigham Young University in exchange for land further east to build a new school. (Photo: Daniel Woodruff/KUTV)

PROVO, Utah (KUTV) — The Provo School District is moving forward with selling a longtime elementary school to Brigham Young University in exchange for land further east to build a new school.

The school board voted Tuesday to sign a letter of intent with BYU to sell Wasatch Elementary School, located at 1080 North 900 East in Provo.

As part of the deal, district spokesman Caleb Price told 2News, BYU will give the district some land on Locust Lane – east of the current location, near 820 North – for a new school. The university will also give some money to the district as part of the deal, Price said.

Price said construction on the new school is likely to begin next summer and is estimated to last a year and a half. Students will continue attending classes in the current building until the new one is finished, he said...

...BYU spokesman Todd Hollingshead confirmed the planned transaction in a statement to 2News.

“Provo City School District is finalizing an agreement to exchange the District’s Wasatch Elementary School property with a nearby property owned by Brigham Young University,” Hollingshead said. “The exchange would allow the District to rebuild the aging elementary school in a new location while providing the university with property adjacent to existing campus facilities.”

Wasatch Elementary opened in 1949. Rebuilding it was part of a $245 million bond question in 2019 which was rejected by voters. This latest plan will be paid for with a municipal building authority bond of up to $39.3 million, Price said, which does not require voter approval.

The district is taking the same approach to rebuild Dixon Middle School at a new location. Dixon, which opened in 1931, was also part of the failed 2019 bond question. A group of citizens is now working to gather signatures to put that issue on the ballot.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 15, 2021 at 12:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:51 AM

Hell Yeah!! Thank you Mountain Skyline!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Looks like UVX may finally get a station on 900 East near the BYU Creamery:

UTA considering new UVX station
https://universe.byu.edu/2021/10/06/...w-uvx-station/

Public support seems higher than before, which isn't surprising since now most people have ridden the buses and can clearly see the obvious good. The only complaint that persists from the last time this was discussed is the elementary school across the street. Apparently bus stops are bad for kids, or something.
But now that won't be an issue any longer:

Provo School District to sell Wasatch Elementary to BYU in land swap deal
https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

With the elementary school moved 2 blocks east, and with BYU presumably building more student housing on the site, I think the last real roadblock to construction is finally gone.

You will remember that when the UVX line was being planned in 2012-ish, the BYU Creamery station was projected to attract twice the ridership of the next highest-used station on the line. Opposition from the tree streets neighborhood scared the politicians into cutting that station, which greatly annoyed me at the time. Back then I was a student at the Y studying Civil Engineering and Urban Transportation Design, and I had written a couple papers on the BRT line, including an analysis of ridership per station.

Now, 10 years later, it looks like logic and reason are about to prevail after all. And with the new performing arts building going up on 9th East, it only makes more sense now, maybe even enough to consider putting bus-only lanes on 9th and making the new station a median station, but that's probably pushing things too far.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahn View Post
UTA also recently finished up its study of transit in Southern Utah County. In contrast to the Tooele study, found a Frontrunner extension to be the most viable alternative.

The locally preferred alternative (LPA) will include an extension of Frontrunner from Provo to Payson with an express bus connection to Santaquin. A future extension of Frontrunner from Payson to Santaquin would follow in the future.

Compared with Tooele County, I think the fact that UTA has been laying the groundwork towards this line has made a difference. Recent work on the Tintic railroad means the corridor is ready.

Public comment on the LPA closes today, then possible modifications may be made before moving on to the environmental study portion.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 15, 2021 at 1:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 2:41 AM

Much like the Ogden Temple redesign, I think this is a big improvement. I'm really liking these more classic designs the L.D.S. Church is giving their temples lately. Smithfield Temple design, up in the Logan area was also released today. Very classic and beautiful.

Renderings of Provo Utah Temple redesign released by LDS Church

Genelle Pugmire for the Daily Herald - https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...by-lds-church/

On Wednesday, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a rendering of the new design for the Provo Utah Temple.

At the October 2021 general conference, President Russell M. Nelson announced the church would reconstruct the temple when the Orem Utah Temple, which is currently under construction, is completed.

The rendering shows the planned design of the redesigned Provo Temple exterior. The temple location will stay the same. Closure dates will be announced at a later time, according to church information.

The new design is similar to the Orem Utah Temple design featuring arched windows and a golden topped spire. Like most new temples, Provo’s spire will no longer feature a statue of the Angel Moroni, according to the renderings...

Courtesy Intellectual Reserve, A rendering of the new design of the Provo Utah Temple.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 25, 2021 at 2:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 4:26 PM

I like the Smithfield Temple, the faux-historicity works okay, I like that they're using pioneer-era architecture as inspiration.

But I very much dislike and even resent the erasure of both the Ogden and the Provo Temples. In the 1970s and 1980s the LDS Church demolished dozens of beautiful pioneer era chapels and tabernacles. Decades later it's seen as the crime against history and art and architecture that it is...I don't think destroying and replacing the Provo Temple is any different.

Religiously I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, but as someone interested in architectural preservation, I think it's an obscene choice.

*also* I hate the loss of the Moroni statues.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 6:36 PM

Provo Airport Redevelopment Update

Update on the Provo Airport from the Daily Herald

Quote:
What began as an explosive red-white-and-blue groundbreaking for the Provo Municipal Airport terminal expansion has already led to explosive growth in commercial air service. Six new flights have already been added since the Nov. 6, 2019, event. And the terminal isn’t even open yet, according to Nicole Martin, communications director.

On Nov. 18, Allegiant Air began service from Provo Airport (PVU) to Houston and Austin in Texas, and Palm Springs, California. “We’re thrilled to offer Provo residents with three new options for their warm winter giveaways,” Drew Wells, Allegiant’s vice president of revenue and planning, said. “We think vacationers will appreciate our unique brand of travel: low-cost, nonstop flights without the hassle of layovers and connections.”

The formula appears to be working, as Provo is now the second busiest airport in Utah.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I like the Smithfield Temple, the faux-historicity works okay, I like that they're using pioneer-era architecture as inspiration.

But I very much dislike and even resent the erasure of both the Ogden and the Provo Temples. In the 1970s and 1980s the LDS Church demolished dozens of beautiful pioneer era chapels and tabernacles. Decades later it's seen as the crime against history and art and architecture that it is...I don't think destroying and replacing the Provo Temple is any different.

Religiously I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, but as someone interested in architectural preservation, I think it's an obscene choice.

*also* I hate the loss of the Moroni statues.
I agree about the Provo temple. I bet that it had something to do with temple attendance and popular choices for weddings. Once the Provo City Center Temple was built, I bet the more popular choice for weddings was that one over the existing Provo temple. Probably similar with the Ogden Temple. I also bet that there was some reluctancy on redoing the Provo temple otherwise I think they would have done it at the same time as the Ogden temple.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 7:46 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I agree about the Provo temple. I bet that it had something to do with temple attendance and popular choices for weddings. Once the Provo City Center Temple was built, I bet the more popular choice for weddings was that one over the existing Provo temple. Probably similar with the Ogden Temple. I also bet that there was some reluctancy on redoing the Provo temple otherwise I think they would have done it at the same time as the Ogden temple.
The Provo Temple is a very, very heavily used Temple, and they also had the issue that all of the missionaries at the Provo MTC would use that Temple on a weekly basis because it's right across the street. I'm betting that the Ogden Temple was done first because it didn't have some of those same problems.

I, for one, have always hated the look of the Provo (and old Ogden) Temples, and the new design is a very welcoming and refreshing update to me, personally. Now if only I could convince them to do the same to the COB. I've hated it ever since I was a kid when I first started taking notice of architecture. I'm not the kind of person who feels like a specific kind of architecture needs to be saved simply because it falls within a certain category. I feel like if something sucks.....if it's ugly......redo it. Of course, that's a subjective thing. Which is why we're having this debate to begin with.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 8:52 PM

My engineer take: Ogden's facelift required a ton of structural modifications to address seismic. Even Jordan River (which was 10 years newer but had a similar floorplan) needed additional shear walls placed. A remodeled Provo Temple would need a serious strengthening requiring extra time. I imagine it is quicker to tear down and rebuild to get it back for the missionaries and BYU campus.

As for the design change, I am all for it. I have always thought it was ugly.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 9:52 PM

While I agree with those that think this new design for the Provo Temple is a big improvement, I didn't have as much of a problem with the former design until they tried improving it by changing the color of the spire from the former gold to white. The unintentional resulting mistake was that the spire's new white ended up being a noticeable mismatch with the white of the body of the temple. I remember the resulting change of the new spire receiving a lot of friendly ribbing from my extended family and friends in the area.

New Provo Municipal Airport is looking great. Very exciting to see that kind of growth for the area. I hope the day isn't too far away when a similar type of terminal will be necessary for the Ogden area.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 10:21 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
While I agree with those that think this new design for the Provo Temple is a big improvement, I didn't have as much of a problem with the former design until they tried improving it by changing the color of the spire from the former gold to white. The unintentional resulting mistake was that the spire's new white ended up being a noticeable mismatch with the white of the body of the temple. I remember the resulting change of the new spire receiving a lot of friendly ribbing from my extended family and friends in the area.
Not only that, but I think the spire on the old Provo design was supposed to be symbolic of a pillar of fire, if I'm not mistaken. Changing it to white destroyed the symbolism (if true), and created the mismatch. Very odd choice.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 12:57 AM

I actually really like the old Provo temple architecture. The new temples seem very Disney fairy tale to me. Actually, almost cookie cutter. The old temple almost reminded me of the one in Mexico paying homage to the culture or nature. It looked like the feathers on a head piece or a desert flower. I know that is a personal interpretation of the design…and I don’t expect anyone to like it for that.

It’s kinda how I prefer the LA temple design over the San Diego one. When I saw the one in San Diego my soul did a spiritual eye roll. It reminds me of the Excalibur in Las Vegas. Now the Washington DC or the Oakland CA. Temples…so beautiful. I always kinda saw temples as unique to their community. Now they seem like the Churches’ equivalent of MCDonalds design replication.

But they make great instagram back drops

Last edited by EPdesign; Nov 30, 2021 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 3:41 AM

I have never posted on this Provo Development blog. I usually follow the Salt Lake Development blog. However, I follow the LDS temple construction. IMO, I think replacing the Provo temple is a good thing. I thought the the old Ogden and Provo temples looked like two commercial buildings with steeples. The new Ogden temple is beautiful and I think the new Provo renderings look great. I agree with the comment about "hating" the Moroni-less new steeples. LDS Temples should have Angel Moroni's in my opinion. It's what identifies them as LDS Temples.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West