HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Pretty sure its well known here I wasn't in favor of the planning for opening Portage and Main (over the significant lack of details, not if the project had merit). That said Hy's has long operated in that location and should have a good sense of what they might be getting into. Pretty sure the bigger issue with downtown isn't so much the undesirables that take over the area after 5 pm but rather that no one is there.
That hasn't proven to be much of a challenge for Hy's, though... it's a busy restaurant. They are a well established steakhouse with a dedicated clientele.

I honestly don't get the fuss over this patio anyway... the Moxie's and Browns Social House patios are even closer to traffic and they manage to make it work just fine. What's the big issue with Hy's? I swear some people just like to imagine problems where none exist.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 11:28 PM
Winnipeg

Speaking from personal experience. I pass by the Richardson concourse and go into the Richardson Building every morning and evening (basically I go through Winnipeg Square and take/get off the Blue Line at Graham). If I recall correctly, I have never seen anything actually undesirable. It's mostly people who work/live in the area, and those who perform services.

I sometimes go to Winnipeg Square to get lunch. There's a streetside burger place opened at the base of Fairmont, facing the concourse between Fairmont and Richardson. There are also 1-2 food standings operating at noon at the base of the Grain Exchange Building. Overall, there are activities in that area. If it's not the pandemic, there'd be much more people

The area of & around the east Exchange is just a very well-maintained neighborhood

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 4:32 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ maybe Earls and Hy's can go halfers on some armed guards to keep the undesirables at a distance.
Maybe they can borrow the police tank.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Maybe they can borrow the police tank.
specialy since it the only that that could sheild u from those winds along that side

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:48 PM
What could go wrong?

My biggest concern would not be the undesirables, but the wind. I think there may be an article or two that suggest there might be a breeze at that corner. I would hate leaving the restaurant wearing my yummy table made Caesar's salad after dropping $250.

Hy's being high end, I would imagine they would build a beautiful glass barrier to limit such gales.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 9:32 PM

Yeah I don't think they're idiots, they'll consult with someone who knows what will work best there. I'm sure Richardson will also demand it look high end considering its right in front of the building on the plaza they just spent millions of dollars and 2 years renovating.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 12:21 AM
surely you agree with me

The patio was always part of the design. The wind is a bit of an urban legend.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 3:45 PM
keep the good times going

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/crane-ti...ipeg-1.5484315

Crane tipped over at construction site on McPhillips. Wonder what happened?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/crane-ti...ipeg-1.5484315

Crane tipped over at construction site on McPhillips. Wonder what happened?
Operator error, no question.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 6:12 PM

I don't get all the worry about Hy's patio... La Carnita/Fox & Fiddle patio is way closer to Main Street (like 10 feet away), at a bus stop, beside the Woodbine. They have no problem attracting people to eat there. Sure it's not the most serene, but if they had used taller glass it'd be better. City wouldn't let them go any higher on the public sidewalk.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Operator error, no question.
Does anyone know what is being built there?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I don't get all the worry about Hy's patio...
I really don't think there is much worry about the Hy's patio at all. There's one guy who's worried.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 7:32 PM

There's one guy from Calgary purposely trying to get everyone riled up.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
My biggest concern would not be the undesirables, but the wind. I think there may be an article or two that suggest there might be a breeze at that corner. I would hate leaving the restaurant wearing my yummy table made Caesar's salad after dropping $250.

Hy's being high end, I would imagine they would build a beautiful glass barrier to limit such gales.
When I drove by at 1am on my way home from work this morning, it looks like that they have a black wrought iron fence about 3 or 4 feet high to provide the area designation.

Unless that is a fancy temporary construction fence?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
When I drove by at 1am on my way home from work this morning, it looks like that they have a black wrought iron fence about 3 or 4 feet high to provide the area designation.

Unless that is a fancy temporary construction fence?
It was mentioned earlier that it's temporary for this year and will be built with glass next year

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:17 PM

1 guy from Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's one guy from Calgary purposely trying to get everyone riled up.
Well, then that explains it in a nutshell.
Great hi-rises there in Calgary but it is well known that city has less culture than a container of yoghurt.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Lets analyze this quick:

Hys.
Building a patio.
On Portage & Main.
One of Canadas most upscale dining chains.
One of Canadas windiest & noisiest corners.
One of the most sketch parts of downtown (especially at night thanks to concourse underground/drunken crowds/junkies & when security isn't bothering to do anything nearby whatsoever, unless WPS has the SWAT team doing laps through the concourse armed to the teeth).

What could possibly go wrong? Unless Hy's is building some sort of Earls-esque "indoor patio" with actual security versus Paul Blart going around the Richardson in a Segway, all I can see out of this is disasters, lawsuits, infinite refunds of $300 meals & people choking on gas fumes from the intersection (if not the sirens, buses or modified cars making constant noise) while the servers & busboys are trying to shoo away the homeless junkies running around with machetes in the middle of downtown Winnipeg... Hy's can't be THAT stupid, can they?
Are you sure you live in Calgary?

You are complaining about homelessness and junkies; Calgary has a larger population of both than Winnipeg, that is more core downtown located than Winnipeg. I used to work with that population downtown there regularly.

This post is old man yelling at cloud tier

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It was mentioned earlier that it's temporary for this year and will be built with glass next year
I walked by there this afternoon and yeah, it looks pretty exposed with that low fence. With the noise and breeze it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice for a patio but I wouldn't avoid it either. It's more of a "drinks and appies" kind of patio than a "steak and wine" kind of patio.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 3:41 PM

Environmental drilling was in progress yesterday at the Shell at Tuxedo and Corydon in preparation for the condo tower at that location.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 7:13 AM

I can't actually find anything on this online, so I'll post my query here: does anybody know what's going on with Memorial Park near the Leg? It's fountains are on but the whole park is fenced off and has been for some time. Seems pointless to have the fountains on right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan