HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 10:17 AM

My old stomping grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

It's the NE corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Las Palmas Ave., e-r.

George's has been replaced by the Rusty Mullet at 6689 Hollywood Blvd. I need to revive my photo hosting arrangements, so apologies for not providing a screenshot.
George's Burgers can be seen in Pretty Woman.
I was staying in the Hotel Las Palmas for a little while and just happened to catch it on T.V. one day and decided to watch it (I had not seen it before) because I had heard that a few scenes were filmed at the Hotel Las Palmas.
It was kind of odd to see the building that I was sitting in on t.v.
Same with an episode of Seinfeld.
At the time I was there the former burger joint was a heavy metal bar called Kings and Angels, or somesuch.
Then it became The Rusty Mullet.
I used to refer to it as the "steamboat building" because of the little room on the top that looked like a pilot-house from an old paddle-wheeler.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakhal Nakhash View Post
I used to refer to it as the "steamboat building" because of the little room on the top that looked like a pilot-house from an old paddle-wheeler.
Your comparison sounds like something I might say. And, yes, it does look like a pilot house.

GSV

I've oftened wondered about that little room on the roof.

Whatever it is the owners of the building are taking care of it. In 2016 the windows are missing - hopefully out for repair.

GSV detail

Hmm. . .is this the building that had the mystery thingy on the roof that resembled an enormous sci-fi television?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 14, 2021 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:07 PM

Site also of---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Your comparison sounds like something I might say. And, yes, it does look like a pilot house.

GSV

I've oftened wondered about that little room on the roof.

Whatever it is the owners of the building are taking care of it. In 2016 the windows are missing - hopefully out for repair.

GSV detail

Hmm. . .is this the building that had the mystery thingy on the roof that resembled an enormous sci-fi television?

This corner: 1957 "Camps" was the premier gay piano bar- The couple who founded Uptown Alliance met here- the younger one was 18 year old pianist- had Hollywood's only hunky bartenders--By 1966 this was the Roman Terrace. By 1970 it was Mr. G's- who also opened probably the first very queer gift shop across the street.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Close, but that building was about 150 yards east. It's now the Escape Hotel Hollywood. My quick search of the thread didn't find the original post, but here's a reminder of what I think is still one of the few unsolved mysteries on NLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post

I looked at the permits today and got nothing out of it but a headache. I still have no clue what that thing is.

this view was originally posted by E-R

But this building was remodeled in 1937. S. Charles Lee turned it into the streamlined Sontag that opened 12-19-1937, with the address 6637 Hollywood Blvd., seen in this great color photo from E-R's post #29450

The Jade moved up the block to 6619 Hollywood Blvd. in November 1937. Its vertical sign can be seen in the color photo, red with gold lettering. (The Curtain Store, with the "Drapes Made Free" blade sign, at 6625 were unaffected by the remodel- their sign is in both photos)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:46 PM

Beat me, Hoss!
(additional photos)

That was at Cherokee Ave.:

(1937)
The Jade
The Virginia
Bradley's 5 and 10

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

about 1906
The Angelus Hotel at Fourth and Spring opened in 1901. The view below, taken from a very similar angle, is dated 1905. The presence of the corner clock in the image below makes me think that the one above dates from a little earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
This corner: 1957 "Camps" was the premier gay piano bar- The couple who founded Uptown Alliance met here- the younger one was 18 year old pianist- had Hollywood's only hunky bartenders--By 1966 this was the Roman Terrace. By 1970 it was Mr. G's- who also opened probably the first very queer gift shop across the street.
A bit of addendum to 1708 Hollywood Blvd--After CAMPS where the two Carls met and lasted 55 years as a pair-- In 1960 became COMPOSERS CLUB, in 1961 Mister T's , in '62 Grecian Terrace, in '64 finally the Roman Terrace .. a Mr. G's was a block east @ 5900... More than 40 different places within half square mile. Las Palmas and Hollywood was ground central to the nightlife---

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
A bit of addendum to 1708 Hollywood Blvd--After CAMPS where the two Carls met and lasted 55 years as a pair-- In 1960 became COMPOSERS CLUB, in 1961 Mister T's , in '62 Grecian Terrace, in '64 finally the Roman Terrace .. a Mr. G's was a block east @ 5900... More than 40 different places within half square mile. Las Palmas and Hollywood was ground central to the nightlife---

I realize there are 4 corners at the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Las Palmas Ave. and I am wondering where The Royal Room was located. I'd first noticed it on this record album somewhere along the way:

Discogs

Jack Teagarden and His Band Live at the Royal Room, Hollywood November 1, 1951.

In searching around online for Las Palmas Ave. recently I came across this photo:

Fire at Royal Room, Hollywood and Las Palmas, December 6, 1957. Photographer: Wesselmann.
Fireman chops up the bar in effort to extinguish flames in woodwork at Royal Room.

No other photos or information.

USC LD

Same place? That's as far as I seem to be getting.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Las Palmas and Hollywood was ground central to the nightlife---
One block of Las Palmas in 1946:

Las Palmas Avenue Night Spots and Eateries

Mad House Cafe
1710 N. Las Palmas Ave.

Miss Ann's
1747 N. Las Palmas Ave.

Pep's Vesuvio Restaurant
1716 N. Las Palmas Ave.

Swing Club
1710 N. Las Palmas Ave.

Tasty Snack Bar
1718 N. Las Palmas Ave.

http://www.theblackdahliainhollywood.com/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 12:59 AM

Martin Pal, the 1956 L.A. City Street Directory shows the Royal Room at 6700 Hollywood Blvd., which would be the SW corner of Las Palmas Ave.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:02 AM

Thr- Two little maids from school were they...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Close, but that building was about 150 yards east. It's now the Escape Hotel Hollywood. My quick search of the thread didn't find the original post, but here's a reminder of what I think is still one of the few unsolved mysteries on NLA.

When I was a child that used to be a Love's BBQ. My father would take me there all the time. Then, when I was living few doors up the street on Cherokee, it was called the Geisha House.
I remember sitting on the fire escape near my apartment people watching (something I would do often), and one evening, all at the same time I saw two geisha girls shuffling past (as I was singing the Mikado in my mind), also there was Zorro with his rapier and a rose, and someone dressed as a transformer clanking along.
I loved Hollywood.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:08 PM

in Greg Williams Story of Hollywood: Vesuvius 1st gay club raid in '44-also popular in 1940s:Slim Gordons, Frolic Room, Blackies basement @ 6410, Bradleys @ Cherokee..

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 4:39 PM

I learned of photographer Matt Oswalt from Earl Boebert's post here.

I couldn't help but admire someone who has been called ''The Ansel Adams of liquor store photography" so I've been following him on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/mattoswaltva/?hl=en

I thought I'd post his latest shot here. It's not noirish as far as time period but I think it is in attitude and title and it's definitely L.A. It's called "marijuanoir". I love it, as well as many other shots of his.

https://www.instagram.com/mattoswaltva/?hl=en

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:59 PM

I have the Matt Oswalt book its very very nice to look at. All LA/SoCal stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
I learned of photographer Matt Oswalt from Earl Boebert's post here.

I couldn't help but admire someone who has been called ''The Ansel Adams of liquor store photography" so I've been following him on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/mattoswaltva/?hl=en

I thought I'd post his latest shot here. It's not noirish as far as time period but I think it is in attitude and title and it's definitely L.A. It's called "marijuanoir". I love it, as well as many other shots of his.

https://www.instagram.com/mattoswaltva/?hl=en

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:35 PM

Spotted this neat shot of a The Flite Room (Flite Rm.) at 4117 Lakewood Blvd. in Lakewood / Long Beach on Yelp of all places. The county assessor dates the building to 1948 and it is still in great condition.
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...eLnAj3WLX70tlQ
In 1974 "two desperate gunmen - bent on freedom or death - played a deadly waiting game with more than 100 heavily armed sheriff's deputies late into the night...as they held two hostages, one with a heart ailent, waiting for someone to break the stalemate."

(Long Beach Press-Telegram 6.29.74)

GSV

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Beat me, Hoss!
(additional photos)

That was at Cherokee Ave.:

(1937)
The Jade
The Virginia
Bradley's 5 and 10
I conject it is a film projection viewer similar to large screens used today.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
Spotted this neat shot of a The Flite Room (Flite Rm.) at 4117 Lakewood Blvd. in Lakewood / Long Beach on Yelp of all places. The county assessor dates the building to 1948 and it is still in great condition.
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...eLnAj3WLX70tlQ
In 1974 "two desperate gunmen - bent on freedom or death - played a deadly waiting game with more than 100 heavily armed sheriff's deputies late into the night...as they held two hostages, one with a heart ailent, waiting for someone to break the stalemate."

(Long Beach Press-Telegram 6.29.74)

GSV

The name of the Flite Room presumably arises from its proximity to the big Long Beach Boeing plant, a mere (almost literal) stone's throw away.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanklem View Post
I conject it is a film projection viewer similar to large screens used today.
Thanks stinklem

I couldn't help but notice the object on the roof has the same dimensions as a slide viewer. A really BIG slide viewer.

Here's a little one.

But if it worked as a projector (showing giant transparancies) it would have to have been slanted downward to be viewed from the street and sidewalks. . .

. . .but as you can see it isn't.

postscript

OK, I just looked at the 2nd old photographs again.

There appears to be a 'lens' (or screen?) several feet inside the frame that is slightly slanted downward. (but I don't think it's enough to make a difference)

Do see it? Does it look slightly slanted to anyone else or am I imagining things?

Obviously the dark space between the outer frame and this interior 'screen' worked as a shield from the sun so the image could be seen during the day.

Also too. . .surely something this large and out of the ordinary was reported in the local newspapers. (but so far, zilch)

Whatever it is. . this roof-top oddity has stumped all of us for years and is one of the very few mysteries that we haven't been able to solve on NLA.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 15, 2021 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 11:07 PM

Let's take the Wayback Machine to the 1880s so we can visit the mystery location shown below.

"Cabinet Photograph of Paraffine Paint Co / P& B Roofing Warehouse Los Angeles"

eBay

As you can see the company's offices were located downtown at 5th and Spring St. but the location of the warehouse is a mystery. Luckily we have the street number of the warehouse, 711 - 715
but the name of the street remains a mystery.

-note the palm tree and the rather tall mailbox (or is it a sign?) on the far right side - - >

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 15, 2021 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 11:52 PM

rescarta.lapl.org

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos