HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 11:38 PM
Space Magi

With how much push-back the Zephyr Lofts got from the Planning Commission over the color of the bricks (and the Post House over the landscaping), I'm not sure the Alta Depot will be granted the substantial exceptions that they want.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 8:33 AM

For once I 100% agree with Comrade. That apartment proposal is awful and it should be laughed out of the planning commission meeting.

I would rather it remain an empty lot longer to wait for an actual good development. West Downtown has tremendous potential and that would only contribute to the disappointment of its development so far.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Yikes. Though of little surprise with how cheap a lot of these condos are.

The area I'd love to see the city focus on is 100 South between Main & West Temple. It's probably my least favorite area of the city.

The Marriott, which looks like a building out of 1980s Beirut, either needs to be radically reclad or, gasp, demolished. There's literally zero engagement from City Creek on this block, as it houses the southwest parking entrance/exit. Hell, at least the old Crossroads Plaza opened up into that street on the south-end of the mall. Now, there's only that very small sliver of stairs between the parking & the Marriott. But no actual retail.

Across the street is a parking lot and this monstrosity:

The only portions of this street that are redeemable happen to be located at the corner of each block - 100 South & Mail and 100 S & West Temple.

It's kind of sad that this is literally the street that people can see as they exit out of the Salt Palace's main entrance.

I really wish that planned high-rise residential tower would have been built there. i think that could've been a game changer.

That monstrosity is the Dinwoodey Building:

There's a question of how much of the original facade is still intact under this mid-century cover-up.

Last edited by Old&New; Jun 17, 2020 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 6:22 PM
Space Magi

Wow, that's a travesty. Is it even used for anything anymore?

That area is really ripe for a nice mixed-use, highrise development.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Must be 6th & Main! Another nice project from the people behind Dixon Place, Sugar Alley, and the Post House Apartments. Glad to hear that they're starting.

https://www.mve-architects.com/projects/6th-main/

I wish it were higher density, being right there on a future TRAX stop.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 10:10 PM
Space Magi

Not sure if this has been shared here before. This looks like a different proposal for the 255 S. State lot. All signs point to the other proposal being the one that will be built, but it's still interesting and definitely new to me:
https://humphreys.com/project/the-strand/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 10:47 PM
They all float down here

Hopefully - that's absolutely an improvement.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 11:48 PM

That was a previous proposal that never materialized, unfortunately. I like the designs of the current proposal just wish the usual as far as the height issue, especially for State St.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:26 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
That was a previous proposal that never materialized, unfortunately. I like the designs of the current proposal just wish the usual as far as the height issue, especially for State St.
That's too bad. The current proposal sucks.

But that seems to be a trend in Salt Lake: start out big and then settle on mediocre.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 5:07 AM

What? sucks? It may not be as tall, but the through-block connection is pretty awesome, and the building design is pretty sophisticated for Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 10:20 AM

I agree Orlando, which is what I meant by liking the designs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Kensington will happen and its height will not be scaled down. State, Main, West Temple, and their east/west cross streets at the least should push height. Of course, always with through block connectivity.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
I love the nods to Salt Lake’s Alleys! Cool project. Remind me what firm/type of design firm you work for if you’re willing to disclose?

This may be a bit of a stretch for you all here but currently still out of work after losing a big summer design internship to Covid, if anyone knows of any openings at their respective place of employment I’d love to send you my portfolio haha.
That was with Ankrom Moisan Architects in Seattle. Most firms have had a hiring freeze, and some have had layoffs. But, there are some firms that are actually hiring. I just moved to another firm to be a senior designer. If you are interested in moving up to Seattle, try looking on AIA Seattle or Craigslist, and/or start making connections via LinkedIn, and let recruiters know that you are open to job opportunities.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:04 PM

Does anyone know what the status is on this project? Seems like it would be wrapping up about now, but there's no updated news anywhere about it. No promo shots, furnished unit promos, leasing info., nothing??

Update, Downtown/East - Liberty Square Townhomes

Copy by Isaac Riddle @ BuildingSaltLake.com

Revised rendering of the Liberty Square development as designed by Prescott Muir Architects. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

The project has been in development for over three years, first getting approval from the Historic Landmark Commission in July 2016. At that time Cowboy Partners, the project’s developers, proposed a four-story residential building with 135 units and an adaptive reuse of the Ensign Floral Building on 600 East.

In May 2018 the HLC approved the current proposal of 47 townhomes in eight buildings and six units in the Ensign Floral Building. According to planning documents, each townhome will be three stories with a garage on the ground floor, living room and kitchen on the second floor and the bedrooms on the third floor. The homes will include balconies on both the second and third floors.

The Ensign Floral Building will be converted to a residential use with six apartments. The floral building was built in 1959 and is considered a contributing historical structure representing the modern architectural style.

The updated project retains a similar aesthetic to the previously approved design and will have similar setbacks despite the project’s reduced density. The corner of 500 South and Green Street will still serve as the architectural focus with the lobby, fitness center and leasing office occupying that space.

The change from a multifamily apartment building to townhomes has allowed the developers to add more pedestrian connections on the block. Pedestrian enhancements will be made to the Green Street alley that connects Trader Joes and other 400 South retail spaces to 500 South.

In addition to the Green Street improvements, Cowboy plans to add a north-to-south walkway at the west side of the development and an east-to-west walkway that will connect the northernmost townhomes to Green Street and west side walkway. The project will also have a plaza-style outdoor tenant space at the center of the development that will connect to the east-to-west walkway...

Rendering of a renovated Ensign Floral Building. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

The previous (left) and revised (right) site plans for Liberty Square. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Construction Photo Update By Luke Garrott @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/in-...uction-update/

Liberty Square townhomes, looking northwest from Trolley Square. Photo by Luke Garrott.

Liberty Square townhomes, by Cowboy Partners, just north of Trolley Square and south of 400 South, between 600 and 700 East. Photo By Luke Garrott

Last edited by delts145; Jun 25, 2020 at 11:26 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:36 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Right. I'd also wager the fact it's so narrow, with minimal actual activity, that people will avoid it for safety concerns. It feels all so fake and unfortunately, that's how a great deal of these newer developments look - something straight out of a backlot on a movie set. There's no urban engagement here and unfortunately, this little area is prime just for that. Or at least a neighborhood that could turn into a pretty decent entertainment district.

But because this block is going to be absorbed by a massively large residential complex with minimal overall neighborhood engagement, you just essentially nixed that potential by creating a significant dead zone 500 West to 600 West.

+++++++++

Want a good example of a Depot District? Look at Denver's Union Station neighborhood. It absolutely has apartment and condo complexes but it has done a great job mixing in the type of entertainment options that will actually drive activity to the area.

Then again, maybe Salt Lake just isn't the type of city that can support multiple nightlife centers. So, we're essentially building denser suburbs around the only active spot in the city: downtown.
On Union Station, it is one of the best examples of TOD over the last few years. But it is right on Larimer St, super central CBD in Denver. I think we should for sure link the Rio Grande Depot with a mixed use type redevelopment scheme and tie it into transit, something they SHOULD HAVE DONE WITH THE ORIGINAL GATEWAY. This project, while ugly, is in a good spot to cram residences. There are better locations for mixed use etc within a block of this. I hate this design as much as the next guy but it's really important for all of this infill to be gobbled up. The problem in Gateway/Depot district was all of the land banking and demolition the RDA did 20 years ago. They should just sell their parcels and weigh the design components of the buyers in the bid process. That's what I negotiated with them on the Infinite Scale project (I only brokered it, Atlas did the design, which turned out AWESOME), but it was a bit of a landmark. It proved the RDA can disposes of their property and make it be cool as a result. They should apply this to all of their landbanked parcels, which is a significant chunk of infill in west downtown. Seems like we get a new Urban Design consult every three years and then nothing happens.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Does anyone know what the status is on this project? Seems like it would be wrapping up about now, but there's no updated news anywhere about it. No promo shots, furnished unit promos, leasing info., nothing??
This project is coming along slowly. I have a Smith's pickup this evening just up the block, so I will try to grab a couple shots of the progress.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:34 PM
Space Magi

Short Photo Update

I took a drive today and snapped some pictures for you all. The view of downtown coming down 5th/4th South from the U is striking because of how many cranes there are now (even more soon!). I wish I had gotten a picture of that and also a picture of the CCH. Lots of progress on Dixon Place and The Exchange and not a lot noticeable on Sugarmont. Sugar Alley and Post District sites show no activity yet.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 8:47 PM

Does anyone know when the steel is scheduled to start going up on Tower 8?

The central elevator core is pretty tall, it appears to be about 10 storys tall?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know when the steel is scheduled to start going up on Tower 8?

The central elevator core is pretty tall, it appears to be about 10 storys tall?
They have been pouring concrete for the first floor/ground level. I would think that once this is complete and set, we would start to see steel rise.

I think this may be in the next 2 weeks. That would give the core another 1 or 2 levels.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 9:34 PM
Space Magi

It's interesting how different the approach for Liberty Sky's construction has been compared to 95 State. Not much of a core at this point and they are working on the third floor:

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 10:41 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What? sucks? It may not be as tall, but the through-block connection is pretty awesome, and the building design is pretty sophisticated for Salt Lake City.
Yes, sucks.

And I don't see how the building design is pretty sophisticated. Everything I've seen from it makes it look pretty damn average by today's development standards.

I like the block connections but it's just another valuable plot of land downtown getting used up by a rather forgettable looking development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West