HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:29 PM

I was at the airport in Calgary last week and got talking with the lady next to me. She's originally from Winnipeg and couldn't understand how anyone would want to live in downtown Winnipeg. She was probably in her 60's, but for sure 50's. She said it's been so long since downtown was bustling, she doesn't ever see it working. I said it'll take time for people to bring downtown back to it's glory.

that's just it. its going to take just as much time to bring it back, as it did to decline. Generations people, not just a few years. Same goes for West Broadway, or any area. Slowly but surely, it will change one way or another.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I was at the airport in Calgary last week and got talking with the lady next to me. She's originally from Winnipeg and couldn't understand how anyone would want to live in downtown Winnipeg. She was probably in her 60's, but for sure 50's. She said it's been so long since downtown was bustling, she doesn't ever see it working. I said it'll take time for people to bring downtown back to it's glory.

that's just it. its going to take just as much time to bring it back, as it did to decline. Generations people, not just a few years. Same goes for West Broadway, or any area. Slowly but surely, it will change one way or another.
I think the baby boomers are by and large a total writeoff when it comes to their perceptions about downtown. They're old enough to remember the "glory days" and all they can see is how far things have fallen since Portage Avenue was the place to go for shopping, movies, dining, etc. They are completely soured on downtown... among my coworkers, it's that cohort that tends to avoid downtown as much as they possibly can, and zips back out to Lorette, Charleswood or West St. Paul as fast as they can after work.

Gen Xers are a bit warmer to downtown, but it's really the millennials that have a new attitude and are receptive to downtown living. Whereas the Gen Xers spent their free time in the suburbs, going to the mall, etc., millennials seem more likely to be hanging out in urban settings, so things are moving in the right direction. At least that's my impression.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think the baby boomers are by and large a total writeoff when it comes to their perceptions about downtown.
It's a shame, really. My parents and my in-laws all live in our building (yes, ha ha). And they all absolutely love living downtown. My father-in-law (a Croatian immigrant) walks to the Millennium Library daily to sit and read. My mom, one of the more negative people I've come across in my life, raves about living downtown to anyone who will listen.

Living downtown is perhaps as, if not more, suitable for a retired baby boomer than anyone else. It's a shame most are too close minded to consider it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Agreed. As with other areas in need of development, the key is to attract more younger professionals to the city, as well as retaining others. Renewal can only be fueled by demand. I still argue the Sherbrook Inn needs to be redeveloped sooner than later.
The fact that in Manitoba you can now get 60% of your tuition back for staying is (anecdotally) making a huge difference. In comparing my siblings' era (80s babies) who almost all left to Toronto, Vancouver, etc after university, it seems the 90s babies are now way more inclined to stay, and I think the tuition refund is a huge incentive.

Quote:
I think the baby boomers are by and large a total writeoff when it comes to their perceptions about downtown. They're old enough to remember the "glory days" and all they can see is how far things have fallen since Portage Avenue was the place to go for shopping, movies, dining, etc. They are completely soured on downtown... among my coworkers, it's that cohort that tends to avoid downtown as much as they possibly can, and zips back out to Lorette, Charleswood or West St. Paul as fast as they can after work.
While I think that is probably true for some, there's a lot that are reconsidering. I never thought my parents would go downtown (they said that) and now they're saying when they sell the house in a few years they want an apartment either downtown or in the Village. Their view on downtown has shifted dramatically in the last 2-3 years. And a lot of their friends see it the same way. They don't want to have 2 cars, and would rather be able to walk for what they need. My guess is that maybe the boomers who live in the more established, central burbs (river heights, west end, st. b, riverview, etc.) are more incline to move downtown because they're used to being close to it, while out in the newer burbs people are less inclined to move more central.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:38 AM

Quote:
I feel like there's a select group of boomers who are moving back into urban neighbourhoods close to downtown, but maybe not quite downtown. Quite a few of my parents friends (boomers) are downsizing and heading to the east exchange (arts patron types), Tache, and even Osborne (all from the suburbs). This is great to see.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan