HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I posted this in the Provo thread, but it's really talking about Ogden too so i figured i would re-post it here.

I've always thought that Ogden, and to maybe a slightly lesser extent Provo, downtowns struggle because they are further away from I-15. You can't see them very well from the freeway and you have to travel a ways on surface streets to get downtown so business locate closer to the freeway or in areas like Orem, Lehi, Riverdale, and Layton (sorry, I'm talking about Provo and Ogden both here, but i think there are some parrallels. This is in no way intended to start a Provo vs. Ogden debate). Salt Lake's downtown is very visable from the freeway and therefore has an advantage. I think that Ogden and Provo's downtown's were hurt when the location of i-15 was selected.
I completely agree about that related to Ogden. It's hard to even know which exit to get off to get to downtown. And once you get off on the right exit, it's like you still have to travel about 2 to 3 miles on some country back road to get there.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 3:05 AM

Quote:
I posted this in the Provo thread, but it's really talking about Ogden too so i figured i would re-post it here.

I've always thought that Ogden, and to maybe a slightly lesser extent Provo, downtowns struggle because they are further away from I-15. You can't see them very well from the freeway and you have to travel a ways on surface streets to get downtown so business locate closer to the freeway or in areas like Orem, Lehi, Riverdale, and Layton (sorry, I'm talking about Provo and Ogden both here, but i think there are some parrallels. This is in no way intended to start a Provo vs. Ogden debate). Salt Lake's downtown is very visable from the freeway and therefore has an advantage. I think that Ogden and Provo's downtown's were hurt when the location of i-15 was selected.

Crazy! I was just thinking this the other day! It is sad especially in Ogden's case! The freeway is completely diverted away from the city! If you weren't from Utah you'd probably say what city? I can't see Ogden. I mean if you take the 24th St exit (the direct downtown exit) it makes you drive 2 miles before you hit downtown. https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Pe...p=1&sz=16&z=14

The most likely route besides the current, for I-15 would've been to follow alongside the train tracks next to Downtown Ogden and behind Union Station, but that is a very tight squeeze and im sure Union Pacific RR wouldn't give the government the right to their land Ogden is definitely a city built around trains and railroads. It was once said that you couldn't get anywhere in the Western U.S without riding through Ogden. This was amazing for Ogden during the time trains were on top! I watched a cool documentary recently called Ogden: Junction of the West. Here's a link to a clip from the movie http://igfilms.com/films-goeckeritz/...tion-City.html This movie gave me a greater respect for Ogden. Ogden had it all and then the rug was pulled right from underneath the city when trains lost their popularity. I really do wish another route would've been possible for I15 though!!

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:18 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I think the Provo is still near enough to I-15 to be ok, they just to fill in from I-15 to down town on Center St. with some 4-6 story office buildings, rather then allowing those dumb office parks.
Ogden is more difficult. There is more distance between I-15 and it's down town, plus there is the railroad between them.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 6:21 PM

Have you seen the type of development Orem gets? If that's the case, it's better to have your downtown far from the freeway.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 2:36 AM

oops. wrong thread

Last edited by Orlando; May 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 10:33 PM
Always running Late

I don't think being near the freeway is a good or bad thing.. it can help.. but it most certainly is not imperative in order to have a vibrant downtown...
Boise's downtown is miles away from I-84 and is extremely vibrant for a city it's size...
i think what it takes is creating a sense of place...I actually think ogden's downtown has sooooo much potential.. but being regionally close to salt lake city it's hard to draw upon it's own regional population base to sustain the vibrancy it could have or should have..

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
I don't think being near the freeway is a good or bad thing.. it can help.. but it most certainly is not imperative in order to have a vibrant downtown...
Boise's downtown is miles away from I-84 and is extremely vibrant for a city it's size...
i think what it takes is creating a sense of place...I actually think ogden's downtown has sooooo much potential.. but being regionally close to salt lake city it's hard to draw upon it's own regional population base to sustain the vibrancy it could have or should have..
You nailed it right on the head, I don't think it has all that much, a little bit yes, to do with it's proximity to I-15. SLC draws so more people and more businesses because it is the center/heart of the region.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:22 PM

Most Affordable U.S. Cities to Buy a Home

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 12:30 AM

$300k peice of art added as part of the Ogden River Parkway project.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...price-tag.html

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:00 PM

More good things for Ogden. It's impressive what some of these businesses are doing there.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...t-lab.html.csp

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...upport-9.5.csp

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 3:20 PM

Disney-esque fountain debuts at Farmington’s Station Park

Attractions » 59 computer-controlled nozzles part of showpiece at shopping-office complex

By Vince Horiuchi
The Salt Lake Tribune

The owners and operators of the new Station Park shopping and office complex in Farmington unveiled a multimillion-dollar show fountain Friday that brings a small taste of Disneyland to Utah.

The fountain is a 5,000-square-foot showpiece that has two pools connected by a waterfall and 59 computer-controlled nozzles that shoot water 30 feet to 60 feet in the air to songs by artists such as The Beatles, Frank Sinatra and Michael Bublé.

The multimillion-dollar, 5,000-square-foot fountain features six fine-art bronze statues, created by sculptor Brian Keith that were dedicated Friday, June 15, 2012 in Farmington. The Station Park shopping center in Farmington unveiled a world-class show fountain with choreographed lights, music, color and 30-60-foot high dancing water.....

Read Full Story Here

At A Glance

Retailers coming to Station Park

These recently announced retailers will be moving into the Station Park complex in Farmington by the first quarter of 2013, some as early as within a month.

Fashion » H&M, Zumiez, Torrid, Famous Footwear, Claire’s, Francesca’s Collections, Republic of Couture, Charming Charlie.

Restaurants » Sushi Monster, ParkStone Wood Kitchen & Bar, Twigs Bistro & Martini Bar, Bandidos, The Melty Way, Roxberry and Subway.

Looks like we are getting a third H&M......

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 5:34 PM

Wow, i never thought i would see the day that an H&M would be in Farmington. Phase one of Station Park seemed to be a lot of discount stores like Ross and Marshall's but the second phase, the one that surrounds the plaza/fountain area seems to be getting more mall-type stores.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 6:49 AM

fountains at station park

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 12:17 PM

Thanks Gusam for that post. The fountains, with that rhythm, put a big smile on my face. So far this set-up and the fountains themselves would have to be my favorite of these types of Lifestyles Centers, compared with the ones in the L.A. Metro. However, the Americana in Glendale, (north of Downtown L.A.) has an excellent mix of housing also, and I hope that this developement, given it's excellent placement, will incorporate housing within the near future. I can't imagine them not doing so. There are a lot of people along the Northern Metro who would be attracted to an excellent apartment here.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 3:15 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I will again express my distaste in the alignment of Station Park, I haven't seen the design of the shops and the open space, but simply the alignment of the retail, particularly Phase II, is in no way Transit Oriented. I honestly think they could have aligned it much closer and related to the Front Runner stop, so those visiting, by rail, don't have a couple of hundred yards of asphalt to trek across in order to get to the shopping. IMO this is a developer that wanted to take advantage of a location near a rail stop, but didn't have either the vision or the guts to break with a traditional sea of parking approach.

The other major issue, as Delts pointed out, is there is not plan for residential. I don't get this, why not include a built in customer base for all the retail being built?"

Station Park will do great for a few years, until a developer with some stones actually builds something just as nice or nicer, as a true Transit Oriented Development.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:15 PM

Very much agree Future Mayor, and I have to believe that residential will follow, hopefully sooner than later.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 7:01 PM

I very much agree, too!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 12:32 PM
Chairman

New Commercial Air Service

Allegiant Air will commence twice weekly, non-stop service from Ogden-Hinkley - Phoenix-Mesa using on MD-80 aircraft:

Quote:
Allegiant Air to Start Phoenix Mesa – Ogden Operation from Sep 2012
by JL
Update at 0940GMT 29JUN12

Allegiant Air starting 20SEP12 is launching Phoenix Mesa – Ogden service, offering twice weekly operation on board MD80 series aircraft. Schedule:

G4102 IWA0600 – 0840OGD M80 47
G4103 OGD1000 – 1040IWA M80 47
http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/29/g4-iwaogd-sep12/

Will this become Ogden's first ever commercial service?

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Jun 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Allegiant Air will commence twice weekly, non-stop service from Ogden-Hinkley - Phoenix-Mesa using on MD-80 aircraft:

http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/29/g4-iwaogd-sep12/

Will this become Ogden's first ever commercial service?
Yeah it will be. There was an article in the Standard (and also the Tribune) about it that I've been meaning to post, but I've been too lazy. They are also considering routes to LA, Bellingham, WA (Seattle), Las Vegas, and Honolulu. I think they are waiting to see how this goes.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:45 PM

Oh wow. That is interesting. We now have 3 commercial airports on the Wasatch Front. Will be interesting to see if there will be any additional destinations out of Ogden or Provo...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West