HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 9:54 PM

That station could also be an intermodal transfer point, from Metra commuter rail to the CTA (L or buses), although I suspect such transfers are more important on paper than in real life.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 10:29 PM
Urbane observer

Well, let's see. A Metra stop requires some sidewalk squares next to the tracks and a sign on a post. Since this is on an embankment, let's add a sidewalk descending at ADA-prescribed angles down to 35th Street. So obviously, there's $40,000 worth of work to be done here.

Therefore, in 2005 Metra budgeted the work at $4.1 million freaking dollars. In 2006, Metra approved a contract for $800,000 just to design the station!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, let's see. A Metra stop requires some sidewalk squares next to the tracks and a sign on a post. Since this is on an embankment, let's add a sidewalk descending at ADA-prescribed angles down to 35th Street. So obviously, there's $40,000 worth of work to be done here.

Therefore, in 2005 Metra budgeted the work at $4.1 million freaking dollars. In 2006, Metra approved a contract for $800,000 just to design the station!
$800K to design? That better be a 'not-to-exceed, cost-plus' contract and not a lump sum, otherwise that's absurd (or suspect...not that anyone ever turns a scrutinizing eye towards Metra, the most generously funded commuter rail system in the nation that still doesn't bother to run more off-peak or have any owl service....funded so generously that they're lax about fares and still give well over a hundred million a year in operating funds to their capital budget just to get down to their mandated 54% farebox recovery ratio, and so cocky/unchallenged as to hike fares immediately after they receive a subsidy increase of over $100mn/year...all despite the fact they don't actually have many station facilities to take care of, they pass that burden on to the municipalities... but I forgot, it's CTA that's bloated, inefficient, and crooked....ahem.).

I guess the cost driver is the ramps? I would have pegged this at about $2 million construction, $400K design/engineering, which isn't too outlandish if it serves 50-100 commuters a day and 100-200 rides (diverted drivers->reduced VMT) for Sox games, considering maintenance costs for Metra stations are negligible.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 6:39 PM

City Room: Zoning Restricts Bank Branches
from New York Times

Requirements for the new Special 125th Street District, which were approved by the City Planning Commission, restrict the number of bank branches, on the theory that they can deaden neighborhoods.

click here

it would have been nice if chicago had had something like this in place before the catastrophe at Milwaukee-North-Damen happened....

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:28 PM
THAT Guy

Alderman Reilly Reports

Esquire Theater Proposal

A rejection of the proposal was sent to the developer due to serious concerns regarding the potential negative impact such an intense use as hotel could have on the broader Gold Coast neighborhood. As you know, Oak Street is a world-renowned retail destination that has functioned, and indeed thrived, within its present height and density since its inception. We await a revised proposal from M Development which hopefully is more appropriate for the site.

Three Arts Building

This proposal is currently "on hold" until the developer fully articulates the scope of his plans and conducts the mock-up demonstration for the rooftop addition with the Landmarks Division of the Department of Planning and local community representatives. Once we have those details, a public meeting will be held for the community to comment on the proposal.

Germania Club Building

Recently, Kimco Realty Corporation, a company known for its shopping center developments, recently acquired this historic property for $9.3 million dollars. Because of its significance, I sent a letter to the Commissioner of Planning and Development asking that we pursue land-marking this structure. Although there are currently no redevelopment plans before us, I would prefer to be proactive rather than reactive in order to guarantee the re-use of this significant, and important historic structure.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Esquire Theater Proposal
A rejection of the proposal was sent to the developer due to serious concerns regarding the potential negative impact such an intense use as hotel could have on the broader Gold Coast neighborhood. As you know, Oak Street is a world-renowned retail destination that has functioned, and indeed thrived, within its present height and density since its inception. We await a revised proposal from M Development which hopefully is more appropriate for the site.
Ugh. There's no universe where the above paragraph makes sense. Retail destinations depend on intense uses like hotels.
And in fact, from the Tribune article:

Quote:
Retailers for the most part are in favor of the project, eager for the foot traffic it would bring and the prospect of getting rid of the darkened theater, which closed last year and sits empty in the middle of the strip.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6009943.story

Even SOAR supports the project.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 2:30 AM
Registered

^ Yeah, the only thing he could validly argue is the preservation argument, but he's not. So, I say, Reilly comes out looking like an idiot again. If they're going to bulldoze it, it had better be for a nice high-rise.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 2:45 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by UChicagoDomer View Post
it would have been nice if chicago had had something like this in place before the catastrophe at Milwaukee-North-Damen happened....
Vi Daley started trying to limiting branch banks in 43 at least 4 years ago. I don't know if she was on solid footing with that, and I don't know if it was actually done, but the idea was there.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Ugh. There's no universe where the above paragraph makes sense. Retail destinations depend on intense uses like hotels.
And in fact, from the Tribune article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6009943.story

Even SOAR supports the project.
If the development falls apart hopefully they will consider re-leasing it as a theater. It can do substantial business but was neglected and very poorly managed by Lowes and later by AMC who didn't care about the property.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 8:49 PM
TL;DR

Well, at least we have good news about the Germania Club. If it can be landmarked, we might potentially avoid the kind of anti-urban crap that Kimco is known for.

Can Kimco possibly argue anything against the city legally, for limiting the redevelopment potential and therefore land value of the site?

Also, not a total bad news on the Three Arts proposal. It's a bad idea to approve nebulous plans anyway - the full scope of the plan should be presented to the community in all cases.

As for the Esquire, I'm seriously disappointed in Reilly.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 10:11 PM

Parkhomes at Lakeshore East

Photo's taken 3/16/08 by EarlyBuyer

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 12:31 AM
The City

I hope they use quality materials for the facades of the parkhomes & midrise

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 1:28 AM
The City

Millennium East Plaza

^ Does anybody have any info about this? I really like the bottom site plan, and I'm hoping this is a redo. I really hate the strip mall-esque look of the top rendering. See Wong's website still shows the top rendering, but I'm hopeful that he simply hasn't updated it yet

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 4:37 AM
Registered

Two Wongs Don't Make a Wright

^ Oh, so it is a Wong. Sorry, I was wrong about that.

The bottom one's architecture seems slightly better too, in addition to location at the corner.

Last edited by honte; Mar 17, 2008 at 7:05 AM. Reason: New title - inspired by ardecila

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:20 AM
TL;DR

Millennium East Plaza is totally WONG for the South Loop!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 2:23 PM

215 W Washington

Note 49 Story Building Reference

Note 52 Story Reference

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 11:17 PM
TL;DR

There's probably just a counting error there. The floor count on the CDOT sticker probably includes basements, whereas the building permit only counts above-grade floors.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:44 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Luxury hotel planned for portion of former IBM Building
By Robert Manor | Tribune reporter
March 19, 2008
-----
Designed as an office tower by acclaimed architect Mies van der Rohe, the former IBM Building is about to get a major update, complete with bellhops and bathtubs.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,6877950.story

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
Luxury hotel planned for portion of former IBM Building
By Robert Manor | Tribune reporter
March 19, 2008
-----
Designed as an office tower by acclaimed architect Mies van der Rohe, the former IBM Building is about to get a major update, complete with bellhops and bathtubs.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,6877950.story
I'd like to believe this whole thing will be handled with care, but it really worries me than many elements of the design are going to be compromised.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 9:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I'd like to believe this whole thing will be handled with care, but it really worries me than many elements of the design are going to be compromised.
This is being done under the supervision of the Landmarks Commission, which is the best we can do. So far, what I have heard / seen is still cringe-worthy, but it's 100% better than what we would have had without their guidance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development