HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:22 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Yeah most of Houston, San Antonio, Jacksonville and Phoenix are less dense than most areas of Delco and the main line. Jacksonville is 875 square miles, Houston is 672 and Phoenix is 520. These cities all annexed massive areas over time and Philly's border has not changed since 1854. We'd actually be a lot better off if parts of Delco and Montco were in city limits, it would really help the tax base. But yeah comparing massive cities is just apples and oranges.

Boston, SF, Philly, Chicago, NYC, LA and DC are the big urban cities in America. Denver, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Seattle are in the next tier.
I always ponder what stopped the city from expanding the City Limits more.

Why did they do one annex in 1854 and than after that nothing else, majority of the areas around the City borders are PHILLY.

In reality Bala Cynwyd, Upper Darby, Parts of Delco, Jenkintown, Lansdowne, Shit I'd even throw Chester in there should be in the City Limits.

If you wanna go even further Camden is East Philly.

But yea I wonder why we never expanded even further.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I always ponder what stopped the city from expanding the City Limits more.

Why did they do one annex in 1854 and than after that nothing else, majority of the areas around the City borders are PHILLY.

In reality Bala Cynwyd, Upper Darby, Parts of Delco, Jenkintown, Lansdowne, Shit I'd even throw Chester in there should be in the City Limits.

If you wanna go even further Camden is East Philly.

But yea I wonder why we never expanded even further.
It needs to happen through the state. They simply do not want to be annexed and it will never happen. Philly's initial annexation also brought it to the extent of Philadelphia County, which was originally bigger than the city limits like many cities today. It's not worth discussing again really. The reason why the closest suburbs would be nice to have in the city limits is why they aren't, many are historic towns that have expanded and always had their own service, and they're not Southern levels of sprawl and can manage themselves.

Some citites even have enclaves that are surrounded by the larger city on all sides and still aren't annexed. Borders are stupid, and yeah it inflates some populations, and deflates other populations (for example Boston has this problem worse than us imo) but weve tread this ground a million times

We have plenty of underdeveloped land in Philly to expand into

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
It needs to happen through the state. They simply do not want to be annexed and it will never happen. Philly's initial annexation also brought it to the extent of Philadelphia County, which was originally bigger than the city limits like many cities today. It's not worth discussing again really. The reason why the closest suburbs would be nice to have in the city limits is why they aren't, many are historic towns that have expanded and always had their own service, and they're not Southern levels of sprawl and can manage themselves.

Some citites even have enclaves that are surrounded by the larger city on all sides and still aren't annexed. Borders are stupid, and yeah it inflates some populations, and deflates other populations (for example Boston has this problem worse than us imo) but weve tread this ground a million times

We have plenty of underdeveloped land in Philly to expand into
Yeah it would never happen now because there's no way the Bala Cynwyd, Narberth, Drexel Hill etc. wants Philly school district, city services etc. but all of the metro gets to enjoy the benefits of being next to a major city without paying a dime. They use our roads, hospitals, parks, cultural institutions, restaurants, offices etc. without paying for any upkeep. This isn't unique to Philly, it's just an issue of why it's so hard to balance the budget in Philly because the bulk of the middle class and upper class live 500 feet from the Philly border.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Yeah most of Houston, San Antonio, Jacksonville and Phoenix are less dense than most areas of Delco and the main line. Jacksonville is 875 square miles, Houston is 672 and Phoenix is 520. These cities all annexed massive areas over time and Philly's border has not changed since 1854. We'd actually be a lot better off if parts of Delco and Montco were in city limits, it would really help the tax base. But yeah comparing massive cities is just apples and oranges.

Boston, SF, Philly, Chicago, NYC, LA and DC are the big urban cities in America. Denver, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Seattle are in the next tier.
I prefer our suburbs remain nice. If anything, it fortifies the city, not the other way around. We have some of the nicest, cleanest, most affluent and greenest suburbs in the country. Juxtapose that to Philadelphia...the leading shithole in the first world.

The easiest way for Mayor Parker to make an immediate visible impact during her tenure would have been to start cleaning this shithole up. If I hear one more quote about her "Philadelphia More Beautiful" Committee and the $200+MM she wants to throw at it, which is just a massive grift for her non-profit buddies, I'm gonna vomit.

The last week I've been commuting back and forth to Lankenau from my home in Fishtown. All the way down Girard to Lancaster and through West Philly to City Line. The city is an absolutely filthy fucking mess. I watched a store keeper yesterday sweep up in front of his shop (made me happy momentarily). That lasted untiL I watched him walk to the corner and dump his trash in the sewer. People are brain dead in this city. Every morning I watch groups of grown men standing around at Girard and Broad and they literally just throw every piece of packaging that hits their hands on the ground. Are these the "under serviced" neighborhoods the city has been prioritizing over Fishtown, where if I got a simple sweep once or twice a month I could probably single handed keep an entire block spotless? No amount of sweeping is going to make North Philly clean, because the people who live there treat it like a cesspool. I say, let it remain a cesspool and give me something for the $10K plus I pay in wage taxes and the other $8K I'm paying in property taxes. Because I get absolutely JACK SHIT from this city, service wise.

We need bigger recyling bins. We need to give small contractors access to city sites to dump small amounts of construction debris. We need rules around the proper way to dispose of trash and we need to ticket people who don't follow them. And we need street cleaning. And we need street cleaners roaming the neighborhoods to pick up trash on non-residential streets constantly. The whole of Lancaster Avenue basically has no parking between Girard Avenue and City Line. It was filthy but there were also no cars parked. There is no reason why a street cleaner can't be running up that street on a regular basis. Cars have nothing to do with it.

I don't know why this is so hard. It's really not. I'm starting to think Carlton Williams has some dirt on her or they're in a relationship or something. How the hell could he be the "best and brightest" she found to lead this city function. He's incompetent.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I don't know why this is so hard. It's really not. I'm starting to think Carlton Williams has some dirt on her or they're in a relationship or something. How the hell could he be the "best and brightest" she found to lead this city function. He's incompetent.
Trash management has long been a black eye for the city, no arguments there. And there's so much more that can and needs to be done to break that bullshit mentality of "this neighborhood sucks anyway," where residents just simply don't care enough. That has to stop.

The way I look at it is the city has to keep moving up "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs." If it can keep up the very encouraging trends on violent crime reduction and improving educational outcomes for a consistent period, then it can begin to divert a LOT more resources towards things like beautification and public maintenance throughout the city. It's the next logical step the city's multi-decade recovery.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I prefer our suburbs remain nice. If anything, it fortifies the city, not the other way around. We have some of the nicest, cleanest, most affluent and greenest suburbs in the country. Juxtapose that to Philadelphia...the leading shithole in the first world.

The easiest way for Mayor Parker to make an immediate visible impact during her tenure would have been to start cleaning this shithole up. If I hear one more quote about her "Philadelphia More Beautiful" Committee and the $200+MM she wants to throw at it, which is just a massive grift for her non-profit buddies, I'm gonna vomit.

The last week I've been commuting back and forth to Lankenau from my home in Fishtown. All the way down Girard to Lancaster and through West Philly to City Line. The city is an absolutely filthy fucking mess. I watched a store keeper yesterday sweep up in front of his shop (made me happy momentarily). That lasted untiL I watched him walk to the corner and dump his trash in the sewer. People are brain dead in this city. Every morning I watch groups of grown men standing around at Girard and Broad and they literally just throw every piece of packaging that hits their hands on the ground. Are these the "under serviced" neighborhoods the city has been prioritizing over Fishtown, where if I got a simple sweep once or twice a month I could probably single handed keep an entire block spotless? No amount of sweeping is going to make North Philly clean, because the people who live there treat it like a cesspool. I say, let it remain a cesspool and give me something for the $10K plus I pay in wage taxes and the other $8K I'm paying in property taxes. Because I get absolutely JACK SHIT from this city, service wise.

We need bigger recyling bins. We need to give small contractors access to city sites to dump small amounts of construction debris. We need rules around the proper way to dispose of trash and we need to ticket people who don't follow them. And we need street cleaning. And we need street cleaners roaming the neighborhoods to pick up trash on non-residential streets constantly. The whole of Lancaster Avenue basically has no parking between Girard Avenue and City Line. It was filthy but there were also no cars parked. There is no reason why a street cleaner can't be running up that street on a regular basis. Cars have nothing to do with it.

May I suggest writing a letter to City Hall instead of on here?

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
The way I look at it is the city has to keep moving up "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs." If it can keep up the very encouraging trends on violent crime reduction and improving educational outcomes for a consistent period, then it can begin to divert a LOT more resources towards things like beautification and public maintenance throughout the city. It's the next logical step the city's multi-decade recovery.
The sanitation department has plenty of resources. And in the current budget, it's going to get another $200MM in resources. This in an environment where where we were previously told that we couldn't afford the additional $14MM a year it would require to fully deploy street cleaning, which Parker has said nothing about.

You know. These departments are run by different people. Are we not to expect Carlton Williams to do his job until Tony Watlington fixes the schools? That's preposterous.

I don't get to say I can't do my job well because the head of another department didn't do his.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
Furthermore, Washington DC has failing schools and it's not a shithole. It's also a hell of a lot more dangerous than Philly.

Atlanta GA has failing schools and it's not a shithole.

Birmingham Alabama has failing schools and it's not a shithole.

Chicago IL has failing schools and it's not a shithole.

See a trend?

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Furthermore, Washington DC has failing schools and it's not a shithole. It's also a hell of a lot more dangerous than Philly.

Atlanta GA has failing schools and it's not a shithole.

Birmingham Alabama has failing schools and it's not a shithole.

Chicago IL has failing schools and it's not a shithole.

See a trend?
All of those places are as much a “shithole” as Philly. You can’t fix people and it pisses me off too but I’ve seen a number of stretches that are noticeably cleaner this year.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:49 AM

Edit: nvm lol

Maybe I'm the one who needs a break from the forum if I'm expecting development news instead of a NextDoor rant feed

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:17 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:

Carlton Williams isn't the commissioner of Sanitation anymore, he was moved to a completely different role, the new commissioner of Sanitation is now Crystal Jacobs Shipman

&

Kristin Del Rossi is now the streets commissioner.

But Relax Brown, the city was just under a Lameduck admin for 8 years, Parker has to turn things around, and she has been I have seen improvements in the city from more street sweeping, clean ups, landscaping, repairs and more.

We are 5 months into a new Mayor and she has already hit the floor running.

Yes half of the problem is people related but the other half was city related.

So don't get bent out of shape, the city is improving and im seeing it with my own eyes

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:23 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:

Maybe I'm the one who needs a break from the forum if I'm expecting development news instead of a NextDoor rant feed
This.
I miss when the low rise development thread was low rise development

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:03 PM

Quote:

Hey I saw a street sweeper heading from GradHo to Point Breeze on Wednesday!

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:31 PM
build awesome buildings

Oh wow, look at this lowrise development news: two Logan Square projects are finished up...

Logan Square Pair Now Complete on Former 23rd St. Parking Lots
Naked Philly, 5/16/2024
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-parking-lots/

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:54 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Oh wow, look at this lowrise development news: two Logan Square projects are finished up...

Logan Square Pair Now Complete on Former 23rd St. Parking Lots
Naked Philly, 5/16/2024
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-parking-lots/

Edgewater 2 turned out decent.

23rd & Cherry looks is a sturdy looking building, and the landscaping is nice, but so squat and fat (I know zoning only allowed this).

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:16 PM
Philly Pholly

The landscaping looks unfinished. It appears to be be small plots of grass that needs weeded. The building appears to be solid materials. The landscaping looks cheap and I'm hoping it will be addressed.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
The landscaping looks cheap and I'm hoping it will be addressed.
It won't be - this is the landscaping that has been in place there for over a year now. 23rd and Cherry has an . . . odd exterior look in person. A lot of raw cinder blocks that look like they were supposed to be finished over, but apparently are not going to be.

That said, its interior finishes look high end. Does anyone have first or second hand experience on living in either this property or Edgewater 2? They are on my radar as a potential next apartment.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:58 PM

Solid news, both excellent destinations!

Fort Worth, Texas-based American, PHL's largest carrier, will launch nonstop service to Bridgetown, Barbados (BGI) and Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) in the fourth quarter of 2024. The Barbados route will kick off on Nov. 9 and flights to Costa Rica will start on Dec. 7.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:05 PM

The Mayor must read this forum…

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20240517.html

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 5:59 PM

Every street seems a bit of a lofty goal, but any progress in keeping the city clean is welcome. They mentioned paving as well.

Curious if anyone in the logan square area has heard any rumblings if the ben Franklin parkway redesign. Saw this in a billy penn article from feb, but i don't think the final plan came out:

Quote:
In addition, in a couple of months the city will release the Reimagine initiative’s full conceptual plan for a redesign of the roadway.
https://billypenn.com/2024/02/12/eak...state-funding/

Last edited by Skintreesnail; May 18, 2024 at 11:44 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development