HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Mike Babcock only just stopped getting paid by the Leafs a year ago, and now probably has a couple years of Columbus paychecks coming in too. I think he's made more money getting paid to not coach than he has coaching lol.
It truly is mind boggling how owner's allow their GM's to sign these unnecessaryily long contracts for coaches and pointless extensions. And major colleges too, whether they are public or private universities.

95% of the time that coach didn't have teams lined up knocking on his door wanting his services so who knows why you felt it was necessary to give him an 8 year contract. And no, Shannahan, teams weren't trying to poach Keefe from you (AFAIK). He was the coach of a very talented team that happens to be in his hometown. A vote of confidence is just another way of grifting the system and making the rich richer in the old boys club.

College football has the most egrigious examples. This past year gave us a new all time low. Texas A&M signed Jimbo Fisher from FSU for a 10 year $75m deal. He won one NC at FSU but then the wheels started coming off. Multiple experts said their recruiting was slowing down the cupboard was starting to become bare. TAMU signed him to that gaudy deal anyway.

Four years into his contract they gave him an extension despite not winning the conference he was in yet. They added three years and his salary was $9m starting the next season. He was fired a few months ago and is guaranteed $77.5m, even if he takes another job elsewhere.

Once again, no one was trying to hire him away. TAMU is a public school too. They have to be accountable and they do get state funding for various things. However, like all major programs, they have boosters, which are rich alumni who can fund a big chunk of these deals. In this case, the boosters are paying for his buyout. They are most likely oil magnates.

Imagine what social good could be done with all all these tens of millions they flush down the toilet by giving it to already rich men that didn't earn it.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 1:06 PM

I have no clue about American college football coaching tenures, (nor their relevance to this discussion), but the Leafs can afford to chuck whatever money at management in perpetuity. Hiring whomever they please behind the bench is one of the only ways Toronto can still rise above the hangers-on in the salary cap era.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
I have no clue about American college football coaching tenures, (nor their relevance to this discussion), but the Leafs can afford to chuck whatever money at management in perpetuity. Hiring whomever they please behind the bench is one of the only ways Toronto can still rise above the hangers-on in the salary cap era.
The CFB thing is not specifically relevant to the discussion (though the same concept), but is just an extreme example that someone may find interesting. There are readers other than you.

As for the Leafs, that's the thing, they can throw money at management, but as has been proved time and time again in major sports, hockey, and now the club itself, it's a waste of money. Now, imagine if MLSE hypothetically set aside money they might have wasted on this and given it to charity or invested in a grass roots cause related to youth hockey.

In other words, even though they can afford to chuck money at this, it's not effective.

Last edited by megadude; May 10, 2024 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 2:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A potential Boston/NYR eastern semifinal would make Buttman absolutely orgasmic. Think of the ratings!!!

Colorado/Edmonton or Colorado/Vancouver would be almost as good for the sport.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
Vote for the new name of the Utah NHL team. You can be from anywhere. https://survey.qualtrics.com/jfe/for...icZIBPBgCbymns

Also, you can vote on an unofficial poll here. https://strawpoll.com/7MZ0AeEPmyo Yeti are in the lead.
The Utah PolyGamers!

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 4:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And we have a winner.

Can you submit that as a write in vote???

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A potential Boston/NYR eastern semifinal would make Buttman absolutely orgasmic. Think of the ratings!!!
A few years back I remember the NHL had all the big market US cities in the playoffs (ie. NY, LA, Boston, Chicago, etc) while during the same playoffs the NBA had all those same cites missing the playoffs - so the NHL had a huge advantage of getting some big TV numbers against the NBA.
The NBA still trashed the NHL with their TV numbers anyways.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 4:20 PM

Looks like a new professional hockey league is coming to North America. The league is called Major League Hockey. It will have full 3-on-3 play, start off with 16 teams across the US and Canada, start play in Fall 2024, and start off with a massive $30M salary cap. The league has significant financial backing, with the Saudi Public Investment Fund being the main backer of the league. While the initial team locations are currently unconfirmed, the Canadian locations are rumoured to be Vancouver, Saskatoon, Hamilton, and Quebec City. A couple of non-traditional US markets on the list include Nebraska (most likely Omaha) and Oklahoma (most likely OKC).

There already exists a professional 3-on-3 league in the US called 3ice but it lacks major financial backing. Given the financial backing, I am anticipating this league to be capable of attracting some major talent. What I am most excited about is to see risks being taken in the smaller Canadian markets that the NHL doesn’t want to touch. I also think there’s a good chance that this league could easily threaten the NHL if it becomes successful early on, as the NHL is easily the weakest link in the Big 4 leagues when it comes to moneymaking and franchise valuation.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 5:28 PM

Dallas are looking like they can beat the Avs! will be interesting to see how Colorado respond, can't rely on late come backs every time...

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 5:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Looks like a new professional hockey league is coming to North America. The league is called Major League Hockey. It will have full 3-on-3 play, start off with 16 teams across the US and Canada, start play in Fall 2024, and start off with a massive $30M salary cap. The league has significant financial backing, with the Saudi Public Investment Fund being the main backer of the league. While the initial team locations are currently unconfirmed, the Canadian locations are rumoured to be Vancouver, Saskatoon, Hamilton, and Quebec City. A couple of non-traditional US markets on the list include Nebraska (most likely Omaha) and Oklahoma (most likely OKC).

There already exists a professional 3-on-3 league in the US called 3ice but it lacks major financial backing. Given the financial backing, I am anticipating this league to be capable of attracting some major talent. What I am most excited about is to see risks being taken in the smaller Canadian markets that the NHL doesn’t want to touch. I also think there’s a good chance that this league could easily threaten the NHL if it becomes successful early on, as the NHL is easily the weakest link in the Big 4 leagues when it comes to moneymaking and franchise valuation.

With teams in Omaha, this is bound to go over like a lead zeppelin (not the group).

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 5:41 PM

I'd fully expect this to fail. I've watched some of the other 3 on 3 games and it just feels like a gimmick, not a proper league.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 5:55 PM

3 on 3 makes for exciting OT but that's about it. There's no hitting, and it's a goalie's nightmare.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 5:58 PM
I am the law!

Yeah, 3 on 3 hockey is like playing pigskin in an arena. I don't think the NHL has anything to worry over. This won't lead to an NHL/WHA merger or PGA/ LIV GOLF merger.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 8:16 PM

Lmfao the guy who broke the news on Major League Hockey (Steve Dangle, formerly of SportsNet) just retracted his statement. Seems like a few other reporters got the same documents on MLH some time ago but chose not to break it because the guy “running” the league was likely not legit.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 6:03 PM
Community Guy

Oilers taking it in OT was awesome.

Still don't love our current game/play, but a W is a W.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 3:17 PM

Do they have whining practice in Edmonton? Because geeze, this is not a great look from Draisaitl.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 3:39 PM

I love the smell of victory in the morning.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 3:52 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Do they have whining practice in Edmonton? Because geeze, this is not a great look from Draisaitl.
A post is good goal tending tho. If that's all that you have to shoot at, the goalie is doing their job. Doesn't even count as a shot on net...

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 3:57 PM

I have no dog at all in the Edm-Van fight, but I'll say that a post is usually just dumb luck from the goalie's point of view (or just bad luck from the shooter's point of view, same thing), i.e. in most cases, a few centimeters towards the interior of the opening and the puck would have been in despite the goalie doing exactly the same thing they did.

The exceptions, of course, are the cases when the goalie is actually blocking the way to the inside of the net right next to the spot the puck hit the post. Happens, but IMO clearly a minority of cases.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:03 PM

Yeah, there's two ways of looking at it like you said.

It kind of irks me when commentators say the goalie was lucky or he was saved by the post. I mean, the goalie put himself in a position such that it forced the shooter to shoot just that little bit wider. So was it luck or good positioning to limit the shooter's options?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada