HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:09 PM

Also, I'd add that University of Toronto data shows that as of March, foot traffic in Downtown is up 14.1% (exceeding the 9.3% median rate of change in the US and Canadian cities they're studying). Regardless continued issues that Downtown faces (and believe me, I get it) the trend is positive.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Also, I'd add that University of Toronto data shows that as of March, foot traffic in Downtown is up 14.1% (exceeding the 9.3% median rate of change in the US and Canadian cities they're studying). Regardless continued issues that Downtown faces (and believe me, I get it) the trend is positive.
Thank you for pointing out all the positive activity happening. Of course there’s a lot of work to do and some parts are faring better than others, but overall the city is moving in the right direction.

Also saw that foot traffic article and it’s good to see the improvement. Just for comparison on this particular study Seattle was up about 9% and SF down about 20%.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 11:19 PM

Downtown will turn based on the faith of business owners who want to improve things. But don't hold your breath that the new city council will be the magic ticket for a turnaround. Looking at the candidates running, I'm not optimistic.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 6:45 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Downtown will turn based on the faith of business owners who want to improve things. But don't hold your breath that the new city council will be the magic ticket for a turnaround. Looking at the candidates running, I'm not optimistic.
Having a mayor and city manager that hires department heads will help have qualified people running each department and will make it so the city council can focus more on legislation. It isn't going to magically fix everything but it will fix one problem which his how the city government functions.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 7:20 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
I cannot speak for any other district's candidates, but I am quite enthusiastic about two candidates with whom I am acquainted in my district. They have already been very active and proactive over here, so I know that if we are fortunate to see them elected, we will be better represented x 10 compared to the distant and silent commissioners now in charge. I just need to decide who will be the 3rd candidate to support in the primary.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 8:43 PM

FWIW there's no longer a primary and in the general you'll be able to rank up to six candidates.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 11:34 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
FWIW there's no longer a primary and in the general you'll be able to rank up to six candidates.
No wonder I could not find City candidates in the May Primary voter's pamphlet.

That detail (voting only in the General) escaped me during months of discussions of the new city council system.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland