HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:38 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
I think someone needs to loosen up their collar and relax. We are getting more routes because of the effort the province and WAA are undertaking. We don't need to scrutinize everything under the microscope.
Exactly. it could be worse- you could live in Saskatchewan. Our counterparts are driving for our national meetings in Winnipeg because it was easier than flying. They offered to host the meeting in Regina and we said no because it was too hard for people to get in and out of the city.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:25 PM

Flights to and from Regina have been abysmal since the pandemic for the usual pandemic-y reasons. However it looks like flights are gradually increasing through this year and by autumn will be at a consistent daily Sunday through Friday schedule, which I think is decent enough for Regina considering it's only five hours away by car and an easy and short enough drive for most.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Apr 10, 2024 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:44 PM

The midday flight times for regina make it useless. For me at least. You basically waste 2 work days when flying, speaking from a wqork point of view. It's more efficient just to drive.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry to be a pain if you have already posted, but what are those dates? And is the master plan readily available to the public?
Master plan is here. It is a Master Plan 2033, produced by WAA in 2015. I highly doubt we'll see a terminal expansion before 2033. Everything is the document will be out of date from pandemic related issues. But who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Page 50 of this document. There's an east and west expansion.

https://www.waa.ca/assets/pages/YWGMasterPlan0615.pdf

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:50 PM

Quote:
The midday flight times for regina make it useless. For me at least. You basically waste 2 work days when flying, speaking from a wqork point of view. It's more efficient just to drive.
Yeah, the flight times aren't exactly business friendly, unlike the Saskatoon flights which have a 2x daily early morning and later afternoon Monday to Friday schedule which I think is ideal for those conducting business in that city.

PS thanks for the link to the master plan!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Master plan is here. It is a Master Plan 2033, produced by WAA in 2015. I highly doubt we'll see a terminal expansion before 2033. Everything is the document will be out of date from pandemic related issues. But who knows.
The 4 gate east expansion is on the table for 2025/26...we shall see.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Great to hear.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 5:25 PM

I was interested to see the list of WAA direct destinations. One destination stood out - Sanikiluaq Airport.

Sanikiluaq is a place of 1,000 inhabitants on an archipelago in the middle of the Hudson Bay.

https://www.waa.ca/en/passengers/flights/destinations/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
ooh. Nice. I'm shocked haha. Seems to be mostly good news coming out of the airport lately.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
I was interested to see the list of WAA direct destinations. One destination stood out - Sanikiluaq Airport.

Sanikiluaq is a place of 1,000 inhabitants on an archipelago in the middle of the Hudson Bay.

https://www.waa.ca/en/passengers/flights/destinations/
The full list of direct destinations can be found here (charters excluded):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winn...tional_Airport

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:07 AM

Some of the most important service enhancements needed are really Saskatoon, Regina, and Thunder Bay having timings that allow connections in both directions. Ideally allowing YQT to connect to as much as possible of YQR/YXE/YYC/YEG/PHX/LAX, and for YQR/YXE to as much as possible of YYZ/YQT/YOW/YUL/ATL. That likely needs at least 2x (morning/evening) plus some retiming (in an ideal world ATL would depart a bit later, for example)

Just offering folks an option would be a plus for everyone.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:16 AM

Quote:
I think someone needs to loosen up their collar and relax. We are getting more routes because of the effort the province and WAA are undertaking. We don't need to scrutinize everything under the microscope.
No interest in understanding the numbers, as long as there’s bragging rights? Just take a pill, right? Press conferences with the premier doesn’t seem a little over the top for what is less than two dozen round trips to BNA? I’m more interested in work on the next step that actually makes it happen than cheerleading.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst View Post
No interest in understanding the numbers, as long as there’s bragging rights? Just take a pill, right? Press conferences with the premier doesn’t seem a little over the top for what is less than two dozen round trips to BNA? I’m more interested in work on the next step that actually makes it happen than cheerleading.
Good for you.

If you are so concerned (and I get the sense that you are very concerned about this), go and voice your opinion to WAA and tell them how much you don't agree with their approach and provide them with advice on how you think they should be operating in order to establish new flights. I'm sure they would value input from a concerned citizen who clearly has all the answers.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Apr 11, 2024 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:17 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I just heard from a friend that runway 18/36 is being repaved, will likely be closed for 6 months. Yikes!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 1:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Yup, just shy of $30m
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 10:00 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

All of the lights too, both runway and embedded.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 10:09 PM

Maintenance is an important part of an airport's life, as much of an inconvenience as it may be. Same for any type of expansion that may occur.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst View Post
Press conferences with the premier doesn’t seem a little over the top for what is less than two dozen round trips to BNA? I’m more interested in work on the next step that actually makes it happen than cheerleading.
Considering both LAX and ATL only happened with government money backstopping the operations if the flights were running at a loss the addition on BNA is likely a similar test. LAX turned out to be a highly profitable add with the promised funding seemingly being moved to ATL. That BNA is now being added likely hints that ATL is not generating significant losses.

With the reports the NHL is about the move from PHX to SLC it will be interesting to watch that as a possible future route.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Yup, just shy of $30m
Anyone know how often do they have do it? Pretty sure they had that one closed down within the last 7 or 8 years.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
Anyone know how often do they have do it? Pretty sure they had that one closed down within the last 7 or 8 years.
There’s different amounts of rework that might be done at different times.

I think last time it was 13/31 that was done. I think it’s been 15 to 20 since 18/36 was done.

18/36 resurfacing is less disruptive than 13/31, because the portion where they intersect gets redone as part of 13/31. It is done that way because 18/36 is longer, but while the intersection is done 18/36 is shortened and can limit payload.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan