HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:45 PM
菠蘿油

Rue Ste-Catherine pour piétons seulement --- new pedestrianization thread

Since the other thread on pedestrianization got totally out of hand I thought I would post this here.

Pour piétons seulement
Mise à jour le mercredi 6 juin 2007, 18 h 21
Radio-Canada

Une partie de la rue Sainte-Catherine deviendra piétonne, entre les rues Saint-Hubert et Papineau, durant six week-ends de l'été. Ce projet pilote, s'il est concluant, pourrait mener à donner accès aux piétons dans d'autres artères montréalaises.

L'expérience avait été tentée avec succès lors des Outgames, l'an dernier. « Les gens aiment ça, prendre un verre et regarder passer les gens », explique le directeur général de la Société de développement commercial (SDC) du Village, Bernard Plante. « C'est une autre ambiance complètement. »

L'objectif principal de l'arrondissement est d'attirer les touristes et les consommateurs pour contrecarrer la concurrence des commerces de banlieue. « Toutes les expériences européennes et nord-américaines en terme de piétonnisation ont eu des impacts positifs en terme d'achalandage commercial », soutient le maire de l'arrondissement Benoît Labonté.

Les rues transversales demeureront ouvertes durant ces week-ends pour piétons seulement.

Résidents et passants accueillent le projet avec enthousiasme et si les réactions demeurent aussi positives à la fin de l'été l'arrondissement pourrait rendre la mesure permanente. « Non seulement sur la rue Sainte-Catherine, mais aussi ailleurs dans l'arrondissement », poursuit le maire Labonté. Le maire de l'arrondissement vise notamment la rue Saint-Paul.

Benoît Labonté rappelle que les villes de Boston et d'Ottawa possèdent toutes des rues piétonnes. De plus, le plan de transport présenté par la Ville, il y a quelques semaines, recommande de diminuer la présence de l'automobile au profit d'autres modes de transport dans la métropole.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:46 PM
菠蘿油

This is exactly the kind of flexible pedestrianization I have been talking about for years. You don't need to turn every street into Prince Arthur... just close it at certain times of the day, week or year.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:50 PM
Demi-tour

En voilà une belle initiative! Les automobilistes pourront toujours emprunter Maisonneuve ou René-Lévesque.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:50 PM
The good old days are now

Perhaps have it closed on weekends, like is mentioned, as well as during our festival season. It would be neat to have a downtown pedestrian street.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Since the other thread on pedestrianization got totally out of hand I thought I would post this here.

Pour piétons seulement
Mise à jour le mercredi 6 juin 2007, 18 h 21
Radio-Canada

Une partie de la rue Sainte-Catherine deviendra piétonne, entre les rues Saint-Hubert et Papineau, durant six week-ends de l'été. Ce projet pilote, s'il est concluant, pourrait mener à donner accès aux piétons dans d'autres artères montréalaises.

L'expérience avait été tentée avec succès lors des Outgames, l'an dernier. « Les gens aiment ça, prendre un verre et regarder passer les gens », explique le directeur général de la Société de développement commercial (SDC) du Village, Bernard Plante. « C'est une autre ambiance complètement. »

L'objectif principal de l'arrondissement est d'attirer les touristes et les consommateurs pour contrecarrer la concurrence des commerces de banlieue. « Toutes les expériences européennes et nord-américaines en terme de piétonnisation ont eu des impacts positifs en terme d'achalandage commercial », soutient le maire de l'arrondissement Benoît Labonté.

Les rues transversales demeureront ouvertes durant ces week-ends pour piétons seulement.

Résidents et passants accueillent le projet avec enthousiasme et si les réactions demeurent aussi positives à la fin de l'été l'arrondissement pourrait rendre la mesure permanente. « Non seulement sur la rue Sainte-Catherine, mais aussi ailleurs dans l'arrondissement », poursuit le maire Labonté. Le maire de l'arrondissement vise notamment la rue Saint-Paul.

Benoît Labonté rappelle que les villes de Boston et d'Ottawa possèdent toutes des rues piétonnes. De plus, le plan de transport présenté par la Ville, il y a quelques semaines, recommande de diminuer la présence de l'automobile au profit d'autres modes de transport dans la métropole.
I don't mind, just as long as they don't close the ENTIRE street. Also, I don't want to see more traffic being diverted to neighbouring streets because of its closure.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:32 PM
Everything will pass

There will be far more traffic on Ste-Cath: people traffic. During last year's gay summer Ste-Cath E was jam-packed every night. A nightly festival. Great news, the merchants there will be happy, especially after the fiasco of the cancelled pride parade.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:47 PM
菠蘿油

I was away for all of July last summer so it was a pleasant surprise to return and find that Ste. Catherine in the Village had been closed to cars. It was a great atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
I don't mind, just as long as they don't close the ENTIRE street.
Nobody is suggesting that. I think everyone can agree that the best solution would be to pedestrianize the streets that would naturally attract a high volume of pedestrian traffic.

Ideally, this would mean widening sidewalks and reconfiguring the street to be more attractive to pedestrians year-round, and then closing the street to cars at certain times of the year.

An example of seasonal pedestrianization would be St. Paul in Old Montreal. Permanent changes made along its entire length would be to eliminate a row of parked cars and widen the sidewalks. Install benches and bicycle racks and allow restaurants to place a row of tables outside. Temporary changes: pedestrianize from the Bonsecours Market to St. Laurent between May and October. Allow restaurants and cafes to take over the sidewalks for terrasses. Open the street back up to cars during the winter.

Some other streets should be closed year-round to cars along the same model as Prince Arthur and La Gauchetière in Chinatown. The two best examples in my mind would be Mackay Street between Sherbrooke and Ste. Catherine and McTavish Street between Sherbrooke and Doctor Penfield. Both of these are surrounded by the Concordia and McGill campuses and they are really only used for parking and delivery. If they were pedestrianized they would make wonderful gathering spaces. The constant presence of students going to and from classes would ensure that they would be well-used.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:02 PM
Everything will pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Some other streets should be closed year-round to cars along the same model as Prince Arthur and La Gauchetière in Chinatown. (...) Mackay Street between Sherbrooke
The Concordia student union has been trying to do that for at least 15 years -- ever since I was a student there, and that's been awhile. I've never really understood the reluctance.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 11:04 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

I support this idea.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 2:59 AM
Look at me!

Great idea, but I really have a hard time seing this happening for real. They should instead enlarge the narrow sidewalks like they did on st-laurent and recently on Bernard and ad a bike path, like I believe Tremblay said he would do for Maisonneuve.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 7:39 AM
BANNED

huh ? The sidewalks are wide enough and st-catherine is no place for biking, its dangerous to drive around, let alone biking.

Maisonneuve will have a biking lanes for each directions and thats perfect for biking.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 2:56 PM
Look at me!

^You're right. I passed by there this morning and the street is narrow enough. In a perfect world though I'd still like to see a pedestrian street happen.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek View Post
huh ? The sidewalks are wide enough and st-catherine is no place for biking, its dangerous to drive around, let alone biking.
All i have to say is : I've made the mistake of biking on St-Cath once, and... never again.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 8:27 PM
菠蘿油

the bike lane on maisonneuve will run in both directions so it will be a good alternative to cycling on ste. catherine.

but the sidewalks really aren't wide enough. we all know how crowded they can get, even in the winter. the street isn't any narrower than st-laurent and the sidewalks could easily be widened by 75-100cm on both sides. this would allow cafes and restaurants to place a row of tables along the sidewalk and it would create a more pleasant walking environment.

of course, widening the sidewalks would be incredibly disruptive. it would also be quite a monumental task considering how long ste. catherine is...

i think the best option for ste. catherine would be to completely reconfigure the street between guy and atwater. make it two-way and encourage the many restos around there to place seating outdoors (this is already being done now that ville-marie has relaxed its rules on sidewalk terraces). there isn't enough traffic on this stretch of the street to justify it being one-way; having traffic in both direction would create a livelier atmosphere, similar to mount royal avenue in the plateau.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 8:53 PM

Turning Ste. Catherine into a pedestrian only street in the summer is a good idea,but don't hold for breath waiting for it to happen. The simply reason for this is because the city will never give up the revenue generated by the parking meters on the street(without mentioning countless parking tickets)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 8:54 PM
BANNED

yeah that stretch is wide enough to do that, and would be a booster to whoever would want to open a resto/cafe in that area.

But some other stretchs of st-cath are already very narrow for two cars to pass.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 6:24 AM

on parle d'une piste cyclable sur Maisonneuve Ouest au centre-ville et de segments piétons saisonniers sur Ste-Catherine Est dans le Village. 2 choses bien différentes. je le sais c'est mon quartier et je suis à la fois piéton et cycliste.

je pédale (oh le bon jeu de mot) sur Ste-Catherine et j'adore ça, surtout quand c'est bloqué. quelle jouissance de se faufiler au milieu des bouchons. question santé, il me manque juste un masque à gaz mais c'est jouissif.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 12:55 PM
T'es peur?

Fermer Sainte-Cath dans le Village l'été c'est une excellente idée!

Sur Maisonneuve je suis moins sûr... c'est bourré de piétons de tout bord tout côté. Beaucoup d'autos, beaucoup de piétons et en plus on veut rajouter des vélos? Je pense que c'est le piéton qui va perdre sa place. Et même pour les autos, c'est suffisemment compliqué comme ça, si en plus on rajoute une voie pour les vélos... Il est ceinturé de petites choses fragiles facile à écraser...

Au moins l'automobiliste est sûr à 90% qu'il n'a pas à surveiller ce qui se passe au-dessus de son auto.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal