HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 9:20 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Brandon's population is less proportional to Regina than Regina to Winnipeg....but alright, bend the facts to suit your argument.

Have you been to Brandon? Unless you enjoy hog plants....I can't really see it ebing anyone's thing. Moose Jaw has the third fastest growing tourism economy, and has a number of attractions worth visiting. I'm interrested to hear how you think Brandon "better" as you said. Downtown Moose Jaw is still thriving and will only continue tp with some of their planned projects. Brandon's downtown on the other hand...well I'm sure you know what sort of condition it's in.

I see some residents of Saskatoon who don't think much of Regina. What's your point? Every second post in the Winnipeg thread has to do with Calgary. The same can't be said about Regina/Saskatoon.
And why do you think that is? Because there are several Calgarians that come to the Winnipeg thread to consistently state how everything there is wrong, not proper, not like Calgary, blah blah blah. So obviously this will induce Calgary talk.

BTW, I seem to recall you having issues with Calgarians and thier attitude several times, and now you are using Calgary as a pawn to state how inferior Winnipeg is? Talk about refitting to suit your argument...............

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 9:22 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
And why do you think that is? Because there are several Calgarians that come to the Winnipeg thread to consistently state how everything there is wrong, not proper, not like Calgary, blah blah blah. So obviously this will induce Cowgary talk.

BTW, I seem to recall you having issues with Calgarians and thier attitude several times, and now you are using Calgary as a pawn to state how less inferior Winnipeg is? Talk about refitting to suit your argument...............
Really? Because unless my memory escapes me...I don't recall such times.

Obviously if there are posts of mine about Calgary, they are few and far between...given that I don't recall any of them. I see your last post in another thread mentioned "Oilberta." Precisely my point.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 9:34 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Really? Because unless my memory escapes me...I don't recall such times.

Obviously if there are posts of mine about Calgary, they are few and far between...given that I don't recall any of them. I see your last post in another thread mentioned "Oilberta." Precisely my point.
The one that sticks out in my mind is that TV newsbroadcast (and yes I did see it too, and I'll agree that it was another example of Calgary arrogance) when they stated how much more affordable Regina was compared to Calgary, but that the catch was "you actually have to live in Regina". I saw no humor in that. I was quite pittiful. And I don't blame you for getting annoyed with it. But you did, and made your point about it. You went on for quite a while about it too. Again, I don't blame you.

Point is, no one likes to see their towns put down, but it's done. We get caught up in those moments. Many of us are guitly of that, including both of us.

And again, in terms of nicknames, both of us are guilty of that, as I'm sure you know what I mean by a certain thread that you started. They may not be meant as "insults" but some may see it otherwise.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 12:29 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it had something to do with maximizing the fan base.
When the Moose Jaw and Saskatoon Rugby teams died out, they changed the Regina Roughriders' name to Saskatchewan. And of course they switched from gold and purple to green and white, when they found a bunch of green and white jerseys at a discount place somewhere, and that is what could be afforded at the time.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 1:17 AM

Anyone who says Brandon is better than Moose Jaw hasn't been to Moose Jaw.. Or Brandon, for that matter..

Moose Jaw is the only small city (<100,000) I've actually enjoyed staying in. (I lived there for about a year). It has a thriving tourism industry, attractive (and busy!) downtown, pleasant valley setting, some amazing architecture, rich history, and so on.. Right now, Moose Jaw is the only place I'd ever consider living, aside from Regina of course.

When I visited Brandon a few years ago, they place seemed like a bit of a dump. Typical small-prairie, one-horse town. I remember it being in a bit of a valley, but that's about the only nice thing that stands out in memory. I would definitely never compare Brandon to Moose Jaw. Moose Jaw is in a different league.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:19 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Anyone who says Brandon is better than Moose Jaw hasn't been to Moose Jaw.. Or Brandon, for that matter..

Moose Jaw is the only small city (<100,000) I've actually enjoyed staying in. (I lived there for about a year). It has a thriving tourism industry, attractive (and busy!) downtown, pleasant valley setting, some amazing architecture, rich history, and so on.. Right now, Moose Jaw is the only place I'd ever consider living, aside from Regina of course.

When I visited Brandon a few years ago, they place seemed like a bit of a dump. Typical small-prairie, one-horse town. I remember it being in a bit of a valley, but that's about the only nice thing that stands out in memory. I would definitely never compare Brandon to Moose Jaw. Moose Jaw is in a different league.

I'm sorry, but Moose Jaw is not exactly a happening place either. I had a roomate from Moose Jaw, and I gave him a ride there on my way back to Winnipeg. Spent a couple of hours in the downtown, and it was nothing spectacular. As you said, a one-horse town is my impression of Moose Jaw. And there were the usual bums and vagrants wandering the streets asking for change; no different than anywhere else. Plus the boarded up buildings and dumpy suburbs my roomates family lived in that were not very impressive.

If I want to go to a spa (which I don't), I'll stick close to home, thank you. And if I want to crawl around in caves, I'll do it in a natural setting, not under a downtown.

To be honest, Brandon and Moose Jaw aren't all that different. However, despite the fact that the hogplant isn't portrayed as all that positive, one big benefit is that it is making Brandon much more multicultural. I was there this fall walking around in the malls and downtown, and man, I felt like I was in a larger center. Plenty of Latinos, Blacks and Asians present along with the whites and the natives. It felt more like Winnipeg or Edmonton than Brandon. In Moose Jaw, it was just whites and natives. Not very multicultural at all. Plus, new little boutique shops and other stores are reopening up in Brandon's downtown which is undergoing a renaissance, and the whole city seemed very bustling to me; just as "busy" if not busier than Moose Jaw. Not to mention the presence of the River Valley within the Brandon city limits; very beautiful. Also the close proximity to Riding Mountain, Spruce Woods and Turtle Mountain and the International Peace Gardens. Nothing like that anywhere near Moose Jaw; it's too barren, dry and isolated.

You are right, Moose Jaw shouldn't be compared to Brandon.

Brandon is better hands down.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:23 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Homeless people in Moose Jaw?

Okay, now I seriously doubt you spent anytime there.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:30 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Homeless people in Moose Jaw?

Okay, now I seriously doubt you spent anytime there.
Dude, there are homeless people in Brandon, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Regina, Calgary, Moose Jaw, etc. Every single larger urban centre I've been to has this issue. There is no escaping homelessness ANYWHERE, and if you say otherwise, then you are in denial of this fact of life.

And if Saskatchewan's economy is set to become anything like Alberta's, your homeless populations in all your cities are going to increase exponentially, just like in Alberta. That is a very sad but true reality.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:51 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Dude, there are homeless people in Brandon, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Regina, Calgary, Moose Jaw, etc. Every single larger urban centre I've been to has this issue. There is no escaping homelessness ANYWHERE, and if you say otherwise, then you are in denial of this fact of life.

And if Saskatchewan's economy is set to become anything like Alberta's, your homeless populations in all your cities are going to increase exponentially, just like in Alberta. That is a very sad but true reality.
Oh, I don't deny homelessness in Saskatoon, Regina or Prince Albert, but it isn't an issue in Moose Jaw. I spend a lot of time there, and in fact there is only one homeless man in the city, to which the City of Moose Jaw offered him a home.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:59 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Oh, I don't deny homelessness in Saskatoon, Regina or Prince Albert, but it isn't an issue in Moose Jaw. I spend a lot of time there, and in fact there is only one homeless man in the city, to which the City of Moose Jaw offered him a home.
Well, even one person (although I saw 3 picking through the trash with shopping carts in rugged clothing) is an issue, but that is another whole topic instead.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Ahh yes, I forgot the superiority of Winnipeg's universities. U of M....ranked last in the Medical university category.

U of R is noted for a number of its programs; Journalism, Film, Education

How are Brandon and Regina similar in population? Perhaps you meant Moose Jaw and Brandon...Moose Jaw takes the cake easily.

Lasty, I am not envious of Saskatoon. If I was I would have chose to have remained in Saskatoon instead of moving south

Winnipegers should not be commenting on envying another city. Every second word you guys type is "Calgary."

You can see CCF is not very good at math as his user name would imply.

Here is a grade four math question for you: If Winnipeg has 694,700 people, Regina has 194,971 people and Brandon has 42,242 people, which two of the three big numbers are closer together? (no using a calculator CCF)

CCF in an hour when you solve this check out: http://www.westerninvestor.com/regio...donmarch06.pdf

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:35 AM

I lived in Moose Jaw for an entire year, and I saw one homeless man. And since people around town called him "the homeless guy", I assume he's the only one.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:38 AM
Canadian Urbanite

How about you try figuring out the proportions?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:39 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
I lived in Moose Jaw for an entire year, and I saw one homeless man. And since people around town called him "the homeless guy", I assume he's the only one.
[sarcasm]
No..no...you're wrong. They've got it all figured out....who cares where you lived....they just know better...
[/sarcasm]

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
How about you try figuring out the proportions?
What do proportions have to do with anything? If the difference between Winnipeg and Regina is about 500K and the difference between Regina and Brandon is 153K you sure as hell can say that Brandon could be compared to Regina better than Regina should be compared to Winnipeg! As for your comparison of Brandon to Moosejaw, thats a joke, Brandon has a population of more than 10,000 people, it's economy is booming, and it's population is actually growing which you can't exactly say for Moosejaw!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:17 AM

^^ Moose Jaw has a thriving tourism industry.. People from around the country (and other countries) actually want to visit Moose Jaw.. what about Brandon?

Greco Roman: Only whites and natives in Moose Jaw? Homeless people everywhere? I don't believe you've ever actually visited Moose Jaw. Either that or you're really stretching the truth.

according to the 2001 census:
Moose Jaw is 4.4% native in population
Brandon is 9.5% native in population

Moose Jaw's population is comprised of 2.1% visible minorities
Brandon's population is comprised of 2.4% visible minorities

4.7% of people in Moose Jaw were born in another country
5.2% of people in Brandon were born in another country

So sure, Brandon is slightly more diverse than MJ, but barely. I highly doubt the few tenths of a percent is very noticable. And Brandon's visible minority rate is probably jacked up by the higher number of natives

and for anyone claiming Moose Jaw is a dump, check out these pictures

all from flickr. If anyone has any pictures of Brandon this nice, please share

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:20 AM

^Yep Moose Jaw is gorgeous.
What lobby is that in the first picture?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:23 AM
Movin' on up

This has turned into yet another vs. thread, so I won't allow myself to be sucked in any further.

You like Moose Jaw more, I like Brandon more. Each have their pros and cons. End of story.

Oh, and I guess I did see two Chinese people in Moose Jaw at a local chinese restaurant I passed by. My apologies

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:35 AM
Canadian Urbanite

^^^Are facts not enough for you? He just proved your argument wrong of how diverse Brandon is.

I'm sorry...I just can't honestly believe someone would prefer Brandon over Moose Jaw. Moose Jaw, again has the third fastest growing tourism economy. Brandon has become a major hog processing city.....you tell me which city people would prefer to visit.

I mean, it's fine to stay loyal to your province...but there's a limit. If someone said to me Nelson, BC is a lot nicer than Yorkton....I wouldn't even think of arguing such a point.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:42 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
^^^Are facts not enough for you? He just proved your argument wrong of how diverse Brandon is.

I'm sorry...I just can't honestly believe someone would prefer Brandon over Moose Jaw. Moose Jaw, again has the third fastest growing tourism economy. Brandon has become a major hog processing city.....you tell me which city people would prefer to visit.

I mean, it's fine to stay loyal to your province...but there's a limit. If someone said to me Nelson, BC is a lot nicer than Yorkton....I wouldn't even think of arguing such a point.
Dude, you can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how great Moose Jaw is, I just don't care for it. Just like I don't care for Medicine Hat. There is no appeal to me there. I don't care for Portage La Prairie, Manitoba either. Can't stand either of them. It has less to do with loyalty and more to do with personal opinion. I don't understand how anyone could love Moose Jaw; it's in the middle of a desert with nothing around it. But you see the beauty in it, so good for you.

And BTW, for you to pull the "loyalty" card is very hypocritical on your part.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Nov 29, 2007 at 5:36 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan