HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 8:57 AM
Meh

The FAA posted a permit for a tower crane at the site. It says it'll be 495 feet. I'm thinking there will be more than one, but so far, there's only one listing.

The work schedule is listed as 02/21/2022 to 04/28/2023.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...7650853&row=12

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 5:11 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

The work schedule is listed as 02/21/2022 to 04/28/2023.
Wow, that seems fast. Especially since they still need to tear up the parking lot and do excavation before they can even start the foundation.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 12:03 PM

Looks like the road hasn't closed down yet according to google maps. Anyone been down there and seen any activity? Maybe this one got pushed to mid-february.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 1:24 AM
The Space Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Looks like the road hasn't closed down yet according to google maps. Anyone been down there and seen any activity? Maybe this one got pushed to mid-february.
TxDot ended up closing down Soledad St. but it was from Commerce to Houston St only (for the AC hotel work being done at Main Plaza). The Travis to Pecan posted closure must have been postponed.

As of today the parking lot is intact however there were no vehicles parked there so the block may already be closed in preparation for construction.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 1:35 AM

Talking

Hopefully construction starts very soon...am very excited for this one!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 8:28 PM

Bexar County commissioners OK tax abatement for Weston Urban’s 32-story tower in downtown San Antonio

https://www.expressnews.com/business...s-16842070.php

Bexar County Commissioners gave the go-ahead Tuesday to a partial tax abatement for a 32-story apartment tower in downtown San Antonio. Construction could begin this summer.

The six-year, 40 percent abatement of county taxes on developer Weston Urban’s high-rise at 305 Soledad St. is worth an estimated $712,917.

The firm’s $107 million development at 305 Soledad St. will be a major infusion of housing in the downtown area.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Bexar County commissioners OK tax abatement for Weston Urban’s 32-story tower in downtown San Antonio

Bexar County Commissioners gave the go-ahead Tuesday to a partial tax abatement for a 32-story apartment tower in downtown San Antonio. Construction could begin this summer.

The six-year, 40 percent abatement of county taxes on developer Weston Urban’s high-rise at 305 Soledad St. is worth an estimated $712,917.

The firm’s $107 million development at 305 Soledad St. will be a major infusion of housing in the downtown area.
This summer?! Damn lol.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post

Summer?? Wow...this hurts.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:09 PM

It could begin this summer....

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
It could begin this summer....
I'm keeping my hopes up cause its Weston but SA hasn't proven me right very much lately lol.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 11:17 PM
James

Development Profile: Weston Urban receives Bexar County tax abatement for 32-story apartment tower

Quote:
Weston Urban’s 32-story luxury apartment tower, the most ambitious residential development in downtown San Antonio history, took another step toward breaking ground when the Bexar County Commissioners Court on Tuesday unanimously approved a tax abatement for the project located at 305 Soledad St.

The $107 million development consists of roughly 350 market-rate apartments, and 6,275 square feet of retail space on the vacant lot bound by Soledad, East Travis, North Main and West Pecan streets.

The county incentive is a 40-percent tax abatement on county property taxes worth an estimated $712,917 over six years, the term of which begins Jan 1, 2025.

The rationale behind the subsidy is the tower’s ability to spur “business and commercial” activity, and to build the property tax base, according to the county’s agreement with Weston Urban.

Other taxing entities, such as the San Antonio Independent School District and University Health System, will benefit from tax revenue generated from the rise in the property’s value after it’s built and appreciates over time—with the partial exception of city property taxes.

Last year, Weston Urban and the city of San Antonio reached an agreement on a $7.5 million incentive package consisting of a 75-percent tax exemption on city property taxes over 15 years, the total value of which is estimated at $6.5 million. The company is also receiving $1 million from the Houston Street Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ). The other 25 percent of city property tax revenue, worth an estimated $2.2 million over the 15 years, will feed into the city’s affordable housing fund.

Last year, Weston Urban officials told the Houston Street TIRZ board that a funding gap remained, after factoring in the city’s incentive package. It’s unclear whether the county’s incentive now fills that gap or whether Weston Urban still must procure more funding before breaking ground.

Weston Urban President Randy Smith did not return interview requests for this update.

According to its agreement with the county, Weston Urban must begin construction before June 30, and it must be “substantially completed by Dec. 31, 2024.”

— Ben Olivo, Heron editor

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:12 AM

ahh that's good. hopefully it's still on track for sometime this spring then. here's to hoping this one's a catalyst

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:26 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Fantastic. I also didn't realize the east facing side is mostly glass. I'm overall very happy with the design and size of this building. That park view is gonna pretty sweet IRL.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 3:34 PM

My friend who works downtown told me there putting concrete barriers around this site location all around.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
My friend who works downtown told me there putting concrete barriers around this site location all around.
I'll willingly put up with messed up DT driving for this one, but I will start complaining if the next reason for street closures is not for a building of at least 600 feet.

Yeah, I said it. This is Skyscraper page, not a five stories with no retail page. Get over it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
I'll willingly put up with messed up DT driving for this one, but I will start complaining if the next reason for street closures is not for a building of at least 600 feet.

Yeah, I said it. This is Skyscraper page, not a five stories with no retail page. Get over it.
Considering out streets are very narrow most are two to four lanes and not the 5-6 lane roads like Dallas and Houston we will be okay with your complaining.

We having great infill, but I'm with you needing a new tall.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post

Hopefully this is a baby step (using that phrase intentionally) for the next big building downtown.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 7:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
Hopefully this is a baby step (using that phrase intentionally) for the next big building downtown.
I'm right there with you. With that said, the older I get, the less I care about buildings being really f-ing tall and the more I can about buildings being really thoughtful in their design.

Austin isn't so weird anymore, but its skyline has grown rapidly yet gradually in terms of height. It started with Frost and a couple others, then went to the next level with Austonian the Independently Stacked Boxes, now it's getting Sixth & Guadalupe, and next it looks like it will get one or two supertalls.

San Antonio isn't ready for a supertall yet, and maybe not even a 600-footer. But it could use one or two 500-footers to take those baby steps you mentioned. Then go higher from there.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I'm right there with you. With that said, the older I get, the less I care about buildings being really f-ing tall and the more I can about buildings being really thoughtful in their design.

Austin isn't so weird anymore, but its skyline has grown rapidly yet gradually in terms of height. It started with Frost and a couple others, then went to the next level with Austonian the Independently Stacked Boxes, now it's getting Sixth & Guadalupe, and next it looks like it will get one or two supertalls.

San Antonio isn't ready for a supertall yet, and maybe not even a 600-footer. But it could use one or two 500-footers to take those baby steps you mentioned. Then go higher from there.
Other than the Frost, 360, Colorado Tower, and Austonian not a fan of most of Austin's buildings.

The one in this thread looks like it belongs up there, but will standout in our skyline. I just don't want 20 of them for building counts.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 11:29 PM

Development Profile: Weston Urban breaks ground on 32-story apartment tower in downtown San Antonio

https://saheron.com/weston-urban-residential-tower/

This week, construction barricades were placed around the parking lot bound by North Main, West Pecan, Soledad and East Travis streets, where Weston Urban has begun preliminary work on its 32-story luxury apartment tower. On Saturday, parts of the lot’s surface had been punctured by lighter construction machinery.

The barricades were positioned around the lot earlier in the week, said tenants of the shopping strip across North Main Avenue.

Weston Urban’s plan to build the most ambitious residential project in downtown San Antonio’s history first surfaced in late 2020. Since then, it’s been one of the most anticipated developments in recent memory.

Projects of this scale, in terms of number of units, usually take two years to complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio