HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I am actually a little surprised this wasn't the permanent arrangement. Basically True North et all pays for the residence space in the tower that the RWB then owns and student fees cover the upkeep/condo type fees going forward.
I would have to think this move to build on their own property is about student safety. They can easily secure their own buildings from out side access. In Carlton, they would have to use the public skywalk (whenever it gets built) or cross the street. Remember these are young girls. I'm sure safety is paramount.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I would have to think this move to build on their own property is about student safety. They can easily secure their own buildings from out side access. In Carlton, they would have to use the public skywalk (whenever it gets built) or cross the street. Remember these are young girls. I'm sure safety is paramount.
This, plus having hundreds of others living in the same building is not optimal.

BTW Biff, don't feel bad. Everyone has been told to be quiet.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
main floor of rwb has atheater in it.
Theaters do not need to be on the ground level. PTE is a prime example of this being on the third floor of Portage Place. Generally an audience to an event at a theater knows of the event well in advance and travels to the theater for the event. That is say different than a coffee shop where ground level traffic forms a significant part of effort to generate customers.

Quote:
Considering the reputation of the RWB residence students being targeted by predators from within the organization it is pretty tough to believe that "student safety" is a top concern. Perhaps the perception of student safety is what they are going for. I have a feeling that a lot of the parents of RWB students never travel to Winnipeg to even see the school. It is sort of like the bus circuit for junior hockey but for ballet in that they apparently recruit young prospects from a very wide area and only take in the top prospects. This isn't some people from rural MB with a passion for dance coming to the big city. Also I am sure if they wanted to be a building within a building they could have found ways to address the safety concerns. For example my office is in the old Credit Union central on Garry. The story of the fourth "secret" elevator that was put in originally to allow secure movement between the credit union operational floors comes to mind. Another local example is the mixed user Fort Garry Place where the banquet/restaurant space has their own dedicated entrances and elevators.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:27 PM

^ The "perception" of safety definitely has to play into things. Let's face it, parents sending their 14 year old daughters off to dance school are going to be nervous enough as it is (understandably so), and downtown Winnipeg doesn't have the greatest reputation, especially among people who are unfamiliar with it and only hear the negative stereotypes.

I'm sure all of the development activity around RWB has helped to improve the image of the school's location, although the impact of covid is going to undermine that to some extent with so many new vacancies, a now closed Bay store, an increasingly dingy Portage Place, etc.

But that said, you would think it would be possible to secure a couple of floors of the TN apartment building to provide an additional layer of safety. I guess it might mean having to pay for more personnel to be on site, but I would be surprised if the cost was exorbitant.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to getting the details for the RWB's project.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Considering the reputation of the RWB residence students being targeted by predators from within the organization it is pretty tough to believe that "student safety" is a top concern. Perhaps the perception of student safety is what they are going for. I have a feeling that a lot of the parents of RWB students never travel to Winnipeg to even see the school. It is sort of like the bus circuit for junior hockey but for ballet in that they apparently recruit young prospects from a very wide area and only take in the top prospects. This isn't some people from rural MB with a passion for dance coming to the big city. Also I am sure if they wanted to be a building within a building they could have found ways to address the safety concerns. For example my office is in the old Credit Union central on Garry. The story of the fourth "secret" elevator that was put in originally to allow secure movement between the credit union operational floors comes to mind. Another local example is the mixed user Fort Garry Place where the banquet/restaurant space has their own dedicated entrances and elevators.
^^^OK...my point being, common sense says these are kids, they likely want to keep them under one roof for security reasons. Enough said.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Jan 13, 2021 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:50 PM

Agreed.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Agreed.
Sorry Esquire, you must have hit enter on your reply before I did on mine. I was replying to CoryB.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
I am actually a little surprised this wasn't the permanent arrangement. Basically True North et all pays for the residence space in the tower that the RWB then owns and student fees cover the upkeep/condo type fees going forward. That the arrangement is temporary puts the question out there what happens with those floors once RWB moves out in a few years.
The building is at almost 100% capacity, it won't be too difficult to fill 20-30 apartments.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:16 PM

^ Almost 100%? Wow, that's impressive.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:47 PM

Yeah I know as of October they were at 75%

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The "perception" of safety definitely has to play into things. Let's face it, parents sending their 14 year old daughters off to dance school are going to be nervous enough as it is

[cut]

But that said, you would think it would be possible to secure a couple of floors of the TN apartment building to provide an additional layer of safety. I guess it might mean having to pay for more personnel to be on site, but I would be surprised if the cost was exorbitant.
Quote:
^^^OK...my point being, common sense says these are kids, they likely want to keep them under one roof for security reasons. Enough said.

People seem to be overlooking that I was saying the RWB residence, school, offices, etc all move within a larger building so say floors 3-8 in 225 would be for exclusive use of RWB, access to the residence floors would be limited to key cards or similar and there would be exclusive elevators and stairs between the floors, similar to what already exists in many other buildings in Winnipeg.

I would hazard a guess that having the residence on say floors 7-8 in a tower with restricted access to outside via a secure and monitored elevator would be an improvement over the previous ground level residence.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:39 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
People seem to be overlooking that I was saying the RWB residence, school, offices, etc all move within a larger building so say floors 3-8 in 225 would be for exclusive use of RWB, access to the residence floors would be limited to key cards or similar and there would be exclusive elevators and stairs between the floors, similar to what already exists in many other buildings in Winnipeg.

I would hazard a guess that having the residence on say floors 7-8 in a tower with restricted access to outside via a secure and monitored elevator would be an improvement over the previous ground level residence.
A ballet school needs pretty specialized design, floors, practice and performance space. Hard to see that fitting into a narrow apartment slab.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 5:23 PM

Wawanesa project is underway. Demo has started on the site.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 5:40 PM

I'll be interested to see what type of crane they'll use for this site, it's pretty small and it doesn't look like Sutton Place is going at a pace where the cranes will be down before Wawanesa starts going vertical. I wonder if we'll see a luffing jib tower crane.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 6:24 PM

I think someone mentioned here they were planning on using the north SP crane for this too?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 6:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Seems like Wawanesa would use a Luffing crane on the north side of the site. It doesn't look however like the northern most red tower crane on the Sutton project will have enough room to turn when Wawanesa gets vertical.

I wonder how often separate projects with separate contractors on adjacent sites run into crane clearance issues? Easy for Wawanesa to design their crane clearances around the Sutton site, but I would have to hazard a guess that the Sutton site hadn't planned for a 23 storey building going up directly next to their site. Sutton being delayed doesn't help either. I would bet Wawanesa will catch up pretty quickly considering how fast Sutton moves.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 6:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think someone mentioned here they were planning on using the north SP crane for this too?
Different contractors so I would think not. As well the reach isn't there anyway.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 7:34 PM
surely you agree with me

So many parking lots...i hate seeing new construction take the place of good buildings.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 8:24 PM

I suspect they will put a crane along the Carlton side, where the building takes that jog inwards.

Or else in the sidewalk/street along Graham. They have a curb lane available on that side.

I'm curious to see what come of the RWB parkade. A bit odd at this point.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I suspect they will put a crane along the Carlton side, where the building takes that jog inwards.

Or else in the sidewalk/street along Graham. They have a curb lane available on that side.

I'm curious to see what come of the RWB parkade. A bit odd at this point.
It’s a new student residence just not publicly revealed yet.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan