HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 9:30 PM

TOP O' THE TAIL?

We've already seen 'Tail o' of the Cock' on NLA but what in the heck are these posters for 'Top o' the Tail' all about?

eBay

The year is 1966.

Here's a closer look in order to see the details.

detail

If I were to guess, I'd say this was some sort of private or special party at the La Cienega location. .but whenever I see 'Top' I immediately think of a venue on top of a skyscraper
like the Top of the Mark in San Francisco & the Tip Top Tap on top of the Allerton Hotel in Chicago.

if interested:

McHenry's Tail o' the Cock in the San Fernando Valley, 1958.
Here. . . .and Here (thanks Hoss!)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 20, 2020 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The Valley Relics Museum Facebook page, where I found the picture below, lists the address of McHenry's Tail o' the Cock as 12950 Ventura Boulevard, Sherman Oaks, and notes that it closed in 1987. However, Martin Turnbull's website lists it as 12950 Ventura Boulevard, Studio City, and it's backed up with a menu with that address printed at the top. Google also thinks that 12950 Ventura Boulevard is in Studio City.

www.facebook.com/Jerry Rothstein
I remember the wonderful fried shrimp dinners with baked potatoes, impeccable service and warm, cozy atmosphere. Sad that so many steak houses have disappeared over time.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Slim View Post
Manuel Cuevas was a long time tailor and designer at Nudies and later set up his own business. It took a guy from Mexico and one from Russia to dress American C&W singers. Only in LA.

That building at La Tijera and Airport looks like it was formerly a Home Savings branch.

As to BBQs, anyone recall Harry's Open Pit at Sunset and Crescent Heights?
Ah, Harry's Open Pit: 1/2 a barbecued chicken and French fries for .55 cents. We used to duck in there while selling the Free Press across the street.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
mystery street

I just happened upon this street scene on eBay

eBay

Does this intersection look familiar to any of you noirishers?

There's an additional clue a bit further down the street.

detail

Hotel or motel blade sign.

Sweet elderly lady. ...(or maybe she's mean. .I don't know)

Old lady's crossing Jackson at Broadway in Glendale. The building on the right is still there and operating as a paint store.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:01 PM

Nathan "Beaudry" Marsak slings Bunker Hill lore with on Saturday's Esotouric webinar

Greetings noirists,

Please forgive the event plug, but I wanted to pull your sleeve to this Saturday's Esotouric webinar, “A Visit to Lost Bunker Hill with author Nathan Marsak.”

Nathan will be talking about the long research road that led to his new book, "Bunker Hill Los Angeles: Essence of Sunshine and Noir" (Angel City Press), and we'll be joined by Bunker Hill native son Gordon Pattison. And a new Cranky Preservationist video will be debuted during the show.

The webinar ends with a Q&A, so bring your nerdiest lost L.A. questions and let's see if you can stump these two time travelers. Tickets are $10, and the program can be watched live at noon on 11/21, or recorded for one week.

• Esotouric Ink presents The Kept Girl, a mystery of 1929 Los Angeles.
• Our time travel blogs: 1947project, On Bunker Hill, InSROLand.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:13 PM

mystery snapshot.

"MAGIC MIRROR in DOOR w REFLECTION TRIPOD CAMERA MAN & BOYS ~ 1960s VINTAGE PHOTO"

eBay

I faintly recall the exterior of this unique photography studio but the name Lemon Grove Studio doesn't ring a bell for me. . .
. .but if I were to make a guess I'd say this studio is somewhere along Sunset Blvd.

Here's the reverse.

not much help clue wise

Here's a closer look at the man and boys.

I wonder if the man with the tripod works at Lemon Grove Studio?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
I remember the wonderful fried shrimp dinners with baked potatoes, impeccable service and warm, cozy atmosphere. Sad that so many steak houses have disappeared over time.
My next door neighbor was the Head Maître D at the La Cienega location during the late 60's. In fact that location had a strict vehicle policy for employees, the cars had to either be black or of higher quality. We lived on the 1400 block of Spaulding, a middle class neighborhood, and so accordingly Mr. Lewis ordered a 1965 Ford Country Squire, painted black with the wood paneling removed as to not attract attention in the parking lot. He used the car strictly to travel the 3 miles to work and back. He retired in 1972 and the wagon was moved once a week until he was placed in a home in 1992. The wagon now has 30,982 miles on it. I was promised it about 20 years ago...Mrs. Lewis (98)is still alive and has finally decided to let me have it and its going to be a winter project.

Photo by me 1442 Spaulding Demo

Im hoping to maybe find a few older pics of TTOTC with the wagon in the lot.

Last edited by unihikid; Nov 20, 2020 at 7:39 PM. Reason: photo problems

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 8:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post

Im hoping to maybe find a few older pics of TTOTC with the wagon in the lot.
I doubt that wagon car had any wood on it. The ''wood'' was a vinyl glue-on.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 21, 2020 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:38 PM

I happened upon this rppc this afternoon on eBay

3314 Thompson Street, Los Angeles - postmark 1915

eBay

On the reverse the writer explains how the house is much larger than it looks.

But the only Thompson Street that shows up on Google-Earth is in Glendale & Chatsworth and neither location appears to be match.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 22, 2020 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:57 PM

Look what I just found! ....Another snapshot taken in front of the Lemon Grove Studio building.

"BOY w SCHWINN BICYCLE LEVIS JEANS & CHUCK TAYLOR CONVERSE SHOES ~ 1965 PHOTO"

eBay

It appears that a couple of additional companies have moved into the building. ...ARICAL...&...The John Clair Pictures Company.

And if you look closer there is a street number.

detail

And, as you can see, the decorative mirror is missing. (shown below)

As a reminder, and so you don't have to scroll back, here is the first photo again.

eBay

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:43 AM

Here's another photo from the same eBay seller. The sign has similar lettering to "Lemon Grove Studio", and on the back are stamps for Arical and John Clair.

eBay

And another mystery arises: what is the photo being held by "Gabriel"?

Also, this one from the same seller just feels related somehow... "RESERVED PARKING JERRY LEWIS SHOW":

eBay

Last edited by Mackerm; Nov 21, 2020 at 4:03 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:49 AM

delete

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 21, 2020 at 9:16 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Look what I just found! ....Another snapshot taken in front of the Lemon Grove Studio building.

"BOY w SCHWINN BICYCLE LEVIS JEANS & CHUCK TAYLOR CONVERSE SHOES ~ 1965 PHOTO"

eBay

And if you look closer there is a street number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post

Here's another photo from the same eBay seller. The sign has similar lettering to "Lemon Grove Studio", and on the back are stamps for Arical and John Clair.

I could not find anything on Arical or John Clair Pictures but I did take a flyover at 5348 Lemon Grove Avenue in Hollywood.

Google Maps

The "Lemon Grove Studio" was probably housed in this small building in the backyard.

Google Maps

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Nov 21, 2020 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
delete
No need to waste a comment entry.

flickr

Mommy Dearest carves the bird. Another fun day for her daughter Christina and son.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 22, 2020 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post

[...]

Also, this one from the same seller just feels related somehow... "RESERVED PARKING JERRY LEWIS SHOW":

eBay

I'm pretty sure that's Kathleen Freeman, a little younger than we usually think of her.

Here she is in 1951:

From: https://worldofwonder.net/bornthisda...hleen-freeman/

She was in many of Jerry Lewis' films (not always credited; sometimes just her voice), and was presumably a friend of his, so it makes sense that she would be spotted in the parking lot for his show. I saw her live in a performance of Bye Bye Birdie (also featuring Jerry Van Dyke and Shari Lewis) in Santa Monica. She played the character Albert's mother.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 1:10 AM

Recognizable character actress. Been in hundreds of things - but never knew her name. She passed in 2001.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
No need to waste a comment entry.

flickr

Mommy Dearest carves the bird. Another fun day for her daughter Christina and son.
That turkey looks like a sheep's head! Was this photo taken the night before the 3AM "no metal coat hangers!" meltdown? You gotta admire her, a real survivor. She parlayed her fading stardom into marrying the head of Pepsi and ended up practically running the company. If she were alive today she'd probably be richer than Bezos & Buffett & Gates combined. PEP the company has a huge market valuation today. I think she talked the board of Pepsi into buying Frito/Lay snack foods, which is very profitable. She had a good head for business. Probably would have run MGM better than L.B. Meyer.

Heddi Lamarr was another smart cookie. Came up with the idea for frequency hopping in wireless communications to make them secure.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 22, 2020 at 9:49 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

I'm pretty sure that's Kathleen Freeman, a little younger than we usually think of her.

Here she is in 1951:

From: https://worldofwonder.net/bornthisda...hleen-freeman/

She was in many of Jerry Lewis' films (not always credited; sometimes just her voice), and was presumably a friend of his, so it makes sense that she would be spotted in the parking lot for his show. I saw her live in a performance of Bye Bye Birdie (also featuring Jerry Van Dyke and Shari Lewis) in Santa Monica. She played the character Albert's mother.
Was she also Mrs. Olson, the Folger's coffee lady? And was she the housekeeper in the house atop Mt. Rushmore, who pulls a gun on Thornhill (Cary Grant) in NBNW?

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 22, 2020 at 9:50 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
I happened upon this rppc this afternoon on eBay

3314 Thompson Street, Los Angeles - postmark 1915

eBay

On the reverse the writer explains how the house is much larger than it looks.

The address is actually 2319.... Thompson Street north of Adams was renamed as a northerly extension of Portland Place circa 1925.

"F. L. W." would be Florence L. Warner, a bank stenographer; "mother" was Fannie Warner, a widow, who owned the house.

Flo married Verne R. Pentecost, an assistant cashier at Security National, around Feb 15 of 1915...so perhaps she was encouraging J.S. Mitchell to come west for the wedding.

2319 Portland née Thompson

2325 Portland née Thompson

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
My next door neighbor was the Head Maître D at the La Cienega location during the late 60's. In fact that location had a strict vehicle policy for employees, the cars had to either be black or of higher quality. We lived on the 1400 block of Spaulding, a middle class neighborhood, and so accordingly Mr. Lewis ordered a 1965 Ford Country Squire, painted black with the wood paneling removed as to not attract attention in the parking lot. He used the car strictly to travel the 3 miles to work and back. He retired in 1972 and the wagon was moved once a week until he was placed in a home in 1992. The wagon now has 30,982 miles on it. I was promised it about 20 years ago...Mrs. Lewis (98)is still alive and has finally decided to let me have it and its going to be a winter project.

Congratulations, unihikid. Seems odd for someone to have ordered a Country Squire only to remove the Di-Noc within the fiberglass frame. Why not just order a black Country Sedan? Anyway, you'll have a good time with this one. First year of a new body, first year of the rear scoops to keep dust off the back window...hard to tell, but it looks like it could have the great 289 V8...or even the 240 Six, which would be a rare bird indeed (352, 390 and up V8s would have, at least originally, an emblem behind the front wheels). You can de-code the data plate here. I have a couple of old Ford wagons...the Squire framing was real wood around Di-Noc through '53 and into very early production '54, fiberglass after that.

Have fun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos