HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 3:33 PM
Space Magi

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

New article from BSL on the Granary District

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

New article from BSL on the Granary District

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Some renderings of Gale Street Apartments other wise known as the Post District. Does anyone know if they have started construction on a new building yet? In the Building Salt Lake article it says new development should start in early 2020. I know they're currently renovating one of the older buildings on site.
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/sal...-exist-before/
https://www.mve-architects.com/proje...t-apartments/#

Sorry about the size of the images I dont know how to reduce it.

I'm loving these designs for the Post District!! Thanks for the heads-up Pencil Hey, this size is excellent. It's when they're four times the size of the page that it gets a little frustrating. I wish I knew how to reduce some of those super-sized IMGUR photos, but again these are perfect IMO.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 13, 2020 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 10:13 PM
One Thing At A Time

Was driving around downtown and passed the lot where that club house is supposed to built. Wondered to myself if that was still going to happen. Looked at my phone once I got home and saw a message from the Downtown Allegiance's Tip Your Server program. Apparently, that project has been branded The Edison House and they just donated 100k to the program. Must have some deep pockets. Anyone know anything about the Jeffrey S. and Helen H. Cardon Foundation?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 10:42 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Was driving around downtown and passed the lot where that club house is supposed to built. Wondered to myself if that was still going to happen. Looked at my phone once I got home and saw a message from the Downtown Allegiance's Tip Your Server program. Apparently, that project has been branded The Edison House and they just donated 100k to the program. Must have some deep pockets. Anyone know anything about the Jeffrey S. and Helen H. Cardon Foundation?
I did some searching and found this:
https://edisonhouseslc.com/clubhouse/

---

I also just found this cool rendering (new to me) of the master plan for the Station Center project. It's very watercolor-y but I like the angle:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 5:51 AM

I love that rendering and its water-color style. The only thing I would change is where the trains stop. (They need to stop below-grade just west of the Rio Grande Depot. )

I took my Rio Grande Depot development plan (see the links in my signature line) to the Salt Lake City Development subreddit, and got one more talking point to use, and this rendering of downtown illustrates this new talking point perfectly:

The Rio Grande depot was designed to be a hub. If it isn't acting as a hub, it is acting as a roadblock, completely severing 300 South. There is no easy way around the depot except to go to either 200 or 400 South, and with SLC blocks being as big as they are, this is kind of a big deal.

Any efforts to build up Salt Lake Central Station and its neighborhood have been blocked, in part, by the physical barrier that is the Rio Grande depot. So much so that a few years ago someone actually proposed running a streetcar line THROUGH the depot itself, which gave us this amazing rendering:

Obviously its a non-starter, but it shows the desperation in our planners to connect the new developments with the rest of the city.

There are three things we can do about this barrier:

1) Deal with it, and grow the rest of our lives with Central Station and that neighborhood blocked from the rest of the city, like the proverbial ax blade that got surrounded by the growing tree trunk.

2) Tear it down. Reconnect 300 South and link Central Station to the rest of the city.

3) Give up on the current Central Station and make the original hub a hub again. Make the Rio Grande Depot the new Central Station for UTA, buses, Amtrak, and everything. Instead of needing to get around the Rio Grande in order to reach your train, the Rio Grande depot is where you will catch it.

Obviously I'm in favor of option 3.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 1:10 PM

I tend to agree with you pretty strongly Hatman. At this point there is nothing created at the current Central Station that could be deemed sacred in any way. It's not like they've already created a Denver type development yet.

I personally do not have a problem with taking light rail through the historic station itself. IMO, it's a very meaningful, appropriate, and attractive use of the Depot. There are many ways that the re-use design development could be accomplished, giving the Depot, the surrounding neighborhood, and the future upcoming Market Street mixed-use mall between the Depot and the Central Station a huge boost in dollar value and multi-use popularity.

TRAX through the Depot Building does not bastardize it! It enhances its existence in so many ways. Imagine the public vibrancy and familiarity that would increase with having a station stop right inside the Depot. There would be plenty of room left for creating an attractive use of the remaining space.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 14, 2020 at 1:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:25 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the Utah Theatre Tower? I remember over a month ago there were rumblings we could expect new renderings soon. Or do we think everything is just kind if in a holding pattern due to the virus?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 7:54 PM

Does anyone have a passerby update report on the progress with this project, excavation on the subterranean parking, etc.?

Downtown Update, December 17th - Block 67

Downtown Salt Lake City to get a $15 million underground parking garage

By Tony Semerad, The Salt Lake Tribunehttps://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/12/...city-approves/

Salt Lake City has approved a way to pump $15 million into building a huge subterranean parking garage for Block 67, an upcoming ambitious residential and hotel project on the western edge of the city’s downtown.

The agreement, backed Tuesday by the City Council in its role overseeing the city’s Redevelopment Agency (RDA), clears a major hurdle for what is to be known as The West Quarter, a 6.45-acre development bounded by 100 South and 200 South from 200 West to 300 West.

(Rendering by The Ritchie Group) A rendering of The Ritchie Group's proposed Block 67 development in Salt Lake City, as though looking north along 300 West...

Developers with Salt Lake City-based The Ritchie Group and Garn Development Co. in Layton plan to build more than 650 dwellings, two hotels, an office tower, retail shops, a tree-lined street cut through the block and an underground parking garage with more than 1,200 stalls.

With its four towers and extensive amenities, to be built in two phases, The West Quarter project will push the center of the city’s urban core west, with more robust pedestrian connections between the existing downtown and The Gateway and Vivint Smart Home Arena farther west.

“It really is a good project,” Councilman Charlie Luke said Tuesday. “It really is going to do a lot for the city and especially for that part of the city in terms of redevelopment."...

...Ryan Ritchie, a principal in The Ritchie Group, has said the underground parking garage is integral to the project’s overall financial success...The loan agreement sets up a legal mechanism for the city to give the developers the $15 million in state money for the parking garage, then lets the developers pay it back over time as their project generates additional tax money. Salt Lake City’s RDA will, in turn, pass those payments back to the county...

Additional Renderings of Block 67 - Subterranean garage to serve both Phases I and Phase II

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
December 10th - There was a backhoe at Block 67 today, ripping up concrete and demolishing the parking lot gate booths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
December 5th - Construction fencing is going up around the West Quarter site today!!

Looks like another big project is imminent!!
Jacobsen is partnering with The Ritchie Group and Garn Development to build Phase I of The Block 67 Project. The West Quarter, a multi-use development that will help define the emerging sports and entertainment district in downtown Salt Lake City. The project — adjacent to Vivint Smart Home Arena — will feature more than 650 residential units, a mid-block street with access to 200 South and 300 West, and a subterranean parking garage. The scope of work also includes more than 100,000 square feet of retail space, 430,000 square feet of office space and a 271-room hotel.

Phase I, The West Quarter

http://www.jacobsenconstruction.com/...1-1370x580.jpg

Rendering depicting Phase II of the Block 67 Project

https://images1.loopnet.com/i2/q_-ca.../112/image.jpg

December 17th

Pic By Atlas

Last edited by delts145; Apr 15, 2020 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 9:30 PM
Space Magi

I drove by last week and it was a big hole in the ground with workers and machines. So that's a little bit of progress since my last pic!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 1:12 AM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 6:37 AM

^^^
Thanks Gusam

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 2:25 PM
Space Magi

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
That is a great photo update, still so many projects going on around downtown!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Fantastic Photo Update...Thaaank Youuu Luke Garrott!!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 4:00 PM
Space Magi

Whoever points the webcams must know that we are watching. Great view of both 95 State and Liberty Sky today!

Also, I found a rendering of the inside of the Rice-Eccles stadium expansion (from the lead Populous architect's Twitter) that I had never seen before:

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Whoever points the webcams must know that we are watching.
That'd be me.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
That'd be me.
Thank you for your service!

I used to be able to see these sites from my office window. But now that i'm forced to work from home, I check this camera every day!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
That'd be me.
Hero.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 6:42 PM

I'm finally back. My internet was blocking this site for the past several weeks for some reason. I checked today, and it was open.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West