HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:49 AM
One Thing At A Time

Kensington
Liberty Sky
Tower 8
CCH

Let’s goooooo!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 4:35 AM

Is it safe to assume the Union Pacific Hotel has stalled? That wouldn’t break my heart since I think it hides the awesome UPD rather than complement it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Is it safe to assume the Union Pacific Hotel has stalled? That wouldn’t break my heart since I think it hides the awesome UPD rather than complement it.
Also from the planning commission email agenda today:

Union Pacific Hotel Planned Development Time Extension Request - Rob McIver, representing the property owner, is requesting a one-year time extension for the Union Pacific Hotel Planned Development, located at 2 S. 400 West. The applicant has indicated that additional time is needed to finalize design work and building permit plans. The Planned Development was approved by the Planning Commission on November 14, 2018 for an 8-story, 225-room hotel to be located on the west side of the existing Union Pacific Railroad Station. No zoning relief was approved, but all new construction in the Gateway-Mixed Use zoning district must be reviewed as a planned development. The subject property is located within Council District 4, represented by Ana Valdemoros. (Staff Contact - Lauren Parisi at 801-535-7226 or lauren.parisi@slcgov.com) Case number PLNSUB2018-00618

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 6:08 PM

Thanks for the response, I don’t know if that a legit extension or code for we are still trying to find financing and/or available crews.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 2:44 PM

I'm sure someone like Makid can clarify that. Probably either labor and or design issues. Speaking of design issues has there been more ongoing progress with construction on Hardison on South Temple? I know last time we were updated by Scott it looked like there was finally movement. Also is construction proceeding with the big apartment project over next to the Marmalade Library?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 6:28 PM

Hey Delts, yes, construction is well under way on the Marmalade project and moving pretty quickly.

Can someone with some knowledge of construction enlighten me? I walked by the Liberty Sky construction site yesterday, and they have filled in the pit they've been digging with dirt again. What's the point?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 6:46 PM

SAVE THE UTAH THEATER PETITION
2,498 have signed the petition so far.

https://www.change.org/p/salt-lake-c...2-558141eb6110

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Speaking of design issues has there been more ongoing progress with construction on Hardison on South Temple?
I drove by The Hardison yesterday. It looks like the concrete parking structure is all poured and the wood framing is going up on top of it. There is a crane on site, so should start to see it go vertical pretty quickly.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 10:08 PM

^^^
Thanks Scott and SLCPopPunk for the heads up on Hardison. If anybody is passing by there be sure a get a couple of quick shots.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
I drove by The Hardison yesterday. It looks like the concrete parking structure is all poured and the wood framing is going up on top of it. There is a crane on site, so should start to see it go vertical pretty quickly.
Along with The Hardison, The Morton on 200 E and 245 S looks to be complete and Garden Lofts on 600 S and 154 W looks like it's close to wrapping up.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
SAVE THE UTAH THEATER PETITION
2,498 have signed the petition so far.

https://www.change.org/p/salt-lake-c...2-558141eb6110
Signed and shared. Thanks for posting.

The theater is set far enough back I see no reason why we can't have both the theater and a skyscraper. No unnecessary demolitions of historic buildings!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:57 PM
Space Magi

After looking up the SLC Pantages Theater on Google Maps, I agree that it shouldn't and needn't be demolished. I've always noticed that old brick building behind the parking garage next to Siegfried's and wondered what it was, and now I know. It looks like a beautiful old venue on the inside.

Since it is in the middle of the block, I agree with Hatman that a highrise could still be built along Main above a new entrance to the theater. I think incorporating the theater restoration into a new skyscraper project would make for a really interesting, albeit expensive project.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Hey Delts, yes, construction is well under way on the Marmalade project and moving pretty quickly.

Can someone with some knowledge of construction enlighten me? I walked by the Liberty Sky construction site yesterday, and they have filled in the pit they've been digging with dirt again. What's the point?
They are removing fill/debris and then putting back better soil to be able to support the structure. Foundations should begin soon!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:25 PM
Space Magi

Huntsman Family Donates $150 million to the U for mental health institute.

Also, I don't think I've seen this posted here but there is a large student housing development at the U that's well underway, recently dubbed "Kahlert Village." It's located where the parking lot and soccer field next to the Huntsman Center used to be.

Here's some information and articles:
https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff...age-on-campus/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKxd0jyIEs
https://dailyutahchronicle.com/2019/...mmuter-campus/

Recent construction photo from the last article:

Last edited by Atlas; Nov 4, 2019 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
After looking up the SLC Pantages Theater on Google Maps, I agree that it shouldn't and needn't be demolished. I've always noticed that old brick building behind the parking garage next to Siegfried's and wondered what it was, and now I know. It looks like a beautiful old venue on the inside.

Since it is in the middle of the block, I agree with Hatman that a highrise could still be built along Main above a new entrance to the theater. I think incorporating the theater restoration into a new skyscraper project would make for a really interesting, albeit expensive project.
I don't think you could squeeze a tower and and parking there. I wish we could just let this Theater restoration idea die. I don't see the demand for it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:46 PM
All man. Half nuts.

hello everyone,

not sure if you're familiar with the game American Truck Simulator, but they announced that their latest expansion is launching this week: Utah.

here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPfiT4-vj4

according to the release:

Quote:
Utah will be rich in content for drivers to explore. Main features include:
  • 3.500 miles of road network
  • 10 major cities (Salt Lake City, St. George, Moab)
  • New quarries and mines including the largest open excavation Kennecott Copper Mine
  • Expanded oil industry (oil mining sites, oil storage sites)
  • Improved agriculture production chain (country stores, feed mills)
  • Famous landmark sites: Great Salt Lake, Monument Valley, Virgin River Canyon
  • Over 260 recognizable natural and man-made landmarks
  • 12 well-known truck stops
  • New and improved process of landscape creation
  • Utah achievements to unlock

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I don't think you could squeeze a tower and and parking there. I wish we could just let this Theater restoration idea die. I don't see the demand for it.

I say forget new parking. Get agreements with existing garages/lots. This is on MAIN STREET where all 3 TRAX lines run. Nobody needs more parking.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:16 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I got the impression there would be outdoor space in the new proposal where the theater stands now more or less.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:23 AM

I’d like to see a compromise. Build the tower and salvage the important decor for a future project. I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about this theater but from what I can tell it’s the decor on the inside that is the real beauty and not necessarily the building itself. I’m leaning heavily towards build the tower. Salvage what you can and hope something comes along that can incorporate the pieces that can be saved.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
I’d like to see a compromise. Build the tower and salvage the important decor for a future project. I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about this theater but from what I can tell it’s the decor on the inside that is the real beauty and not necessarily the building itself. I’m leaning heavily towards build the tower. Salvage what you can and hope something comes along that can incorporate the pieces that can be saved.
That will never happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West