HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 11:42 PM
BANNED

Yup, unfortuntely the morons have really taken over, although in Victoria I can't say as i'm surprised, most of these half-wits still think the NDP would make good government.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:10 PM

Some pics of Mayfair Mall today.

Not the best photos but interesting how large of an upgrade this. They have started on the ramp to the upper parking already.

thumbnail_IMG_0193 by steven roberts, on Flickr

thumbnail_IMG_0194 by steven roberts, on Flickr

thumbnail_IMG_0196 by steven roberts, on Flickr

thumbnail_IMG_0198 by steven roberts, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:46 PM

I'm not sure what the 20 story building is called it is in Westhills development in Langford. I drove out there today the housing that is going up out there is crazy.

thumbnail_IMG_0200 by steven roberts, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 11:31 AM
BANNED

I read on citified that Townline plans to make the 30 story tower thinner than the 24 story tower that was planned which might just work for two reasons. Firstly, because the residential vacancy rate is uber low and so the city wants as many units on the market as possible (which is why there is such a building boom right now), and also because the public probably won't object to it if it's slender. A big part of the reason buildings like View Towers and Orchard House met with such controversy was that they were not only tall but they were also wide, view-blocking slabs (ironic in the case of "View" Towers). If it does get built Victoria will finally reclaim the title of having the tallest building on the island which only makes sense since it probably the 10X the number of high-rises Nanaimo has.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 1:41 AM

I agree that a taller slender tower at 30 stories would be much better than another fatscraper. I was really surprised that their first tower is so short at twelve stories. I really hope that after council meetings that the city will not chop and cut back the height. They have down this to so many projects in the past. Buildings like the Falls and Aria and The Sussex office tower and a few more. The Bay parkade is an ideal location for a taller signature tower. I don't think that it will stick out like a sore thumb as to what I have heard the 30 stories here will be. There is the approved 15 story office tower Gateway Green which is approved across the street from this proposed 30 story tower and Town line has their other tower approved at 17 stories which will be on the same block. I think that at 30 stories it will look awesome once these buildings are completed.

As far as Nanaimo has some tall buildings for the size of the city. I'm surprised there is no new developments for the city. I wonder if there is a housing crunch there like there is here in Victoria. I was disappointed the public voted to scrap the new arena downtown. I remember probably around 20 years ago I had a friend who lived in Victoria who had never been upisland. I drove her to Nanaimo and when we drove in to town she was like is Nanaimo bigger than Victoria. She saw the highrises which made her ask me. I said no Victoria is much larger than Nanaimo. I also had a friend who lived in Richmond who had never been to Victoria. When I picked her up and drover us into town she said where is Victoria. I was on Blanshard and Pandora across from the Capital 6. I said this is Victoria she said but where is the city. I drove her to the Parliament buildings and the Empress but she couldn't figure out that, that was Victoria at the time. I really do hope that Townline gets 30 stories approved. I am also just as hopeful that David Chard gets his twin 20 story towers. It's cool he's proposing to have a public parking with this development also.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 3:04 AM

It's a little dark but Pandora and Vancouver st erected their crane today.

thumbnail_IMG_0201 by steven roberts, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdevelopments View Post
I agree that a taller slender tower at 30 stories would be much better than another fatscraper. I was really surprised that their first tower is so short at twelve stories. I really hope that after council meetings that the city will not chop and cut back the height. They have down this to so many projects in the past. Buildings like the Falls and Aria and The Sussex office tower and a few more. The Bay parkade is an ideal location for a taller signature tower. I don't think that it will stick out like a sore thumb as to what I have heard the 30 stories here will be. There is the approved 15 story office tower Gateway Green which is approved across the street from this proposed 30 story tower and Town line has their other tower approved at 17 stories which will be on the same block. I think that at 30 stories it will look awesome once these buildings are completed.

As far as Nanaimo has some tall buildings for the size of the city. I'm surprised there is no new developments for the city. I wonder if there is a housing crunch there like there is here in Victoria. I was disappointed the public voted to scrap the new arena downtown. I remember probably around 20 years ago I had a friend who lived in Victoria who had never been upisland. I drove her to Nanaimo and when we drove in to town she was like is Nanaimo bigger than Victoria. She saw the highrises which made her ask me. I said no Victoria is much larger than Nanaimo. I also had a friend who lived in Richmond who had never been to Victoria. When I picked her up and drover us into town she said where is Victoria. I was on Blanshard and Pandora across from the Capital 6. I said this is Victoria she said but where is the city. I drove her to the Parliament buildings and the Empress but she couldn't figure out that, that was Victoria at the time. I really do hope that Townline gets 30 stories approved. I am also just as hopeful that David Chard gets his twin 20 story towers. It's cool he's proposing to have a public parking with this development also.
That's so weird about your friend from Richmond reacting the way she did. Are you sure she wasn't being obnoxious? Victoria is as urban as it can be, at least for a city that celebrates its heritage as a colonial city.Tall buildings just don't mix too well in the old part of town. Maybe across the blue bridge, the municipality can create a new modern downtown, but the heritage zone is awesome, and I love it there.

I suggest you do the same to your friend from Richmond next time you go visit her there. "Where is Richmond's downtown?" "Is that it?"

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:47 PM

We're at the corner of Burrard and Georgia and an acquaintance looks around and asks me, "Is this North Vancouver?"

Snarky bastage that I am, I reply "Yes, there's a copy of the Hotel Vancouver in every municipality."

Seriously, sometimes I wonder how the world looks to other people.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 10:16 PM

I lost an argument with some people who had visited Victoria. They said there wasn't a shopping mall or a Wal-Mart in the entire city. They drove all over the place looking for one. I think we can assume their exhaustive search covered Government Street in the old town all the way to Pandora and then Wharf Street coming back.

Somewhere online there's a geography professor or some such thing who documented his trip to Victoria. He also noted that the city lacked a Wal-Mart, and I believe he even used the term "backwater". As if he was expecting there to be a Wal-Mart and extensive surface parking at View Street & Douglas. You know, like a real city would have.

Travel reviews are funny for stuff like this. I recall the jogger who went through Beacon Hill park and then stumbled upon... the ocean. He had no idea those miles and miles of waterfront were there. He was miffed that the folks at the hotel desk hadn't informed him.

Another funny one was the family who went for a drive south out of Victoria along a beautiful seaside drive, where there were many fancy houses and bays and beaches and golf courses. Much nicer than Victoria, those towns along the coast south of Victoria.

And so forth.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
That's so weird about your friend from Richmond reacting the way she did. Are you sure she wasn't being obnoxious? Victoria is as urban as it can be, at least for a city that celebrates its heritage as a colonial city.Tall buildings just don't mix too well in the old part of town. Maybe across the blue bridge, the municipality can create a new modern downtown, but the heritage zone is awesome, and I love it there.

I suggest you do the same to your friend from Richmond next time you go visit her there. "Where is Richmond's downtown?" "Is that it?"
I'm not friends with her anymore she ended up sending me a letter saying that from the moment she met me she knew I was going to be her husband. I never wrote her back and never really stayed in contact with her. She was serious about "where is Victoria"

I agree I love old town Victoria. My only disappointment is they took down some awesome buildings on Douglas Street and erected really ugly buildings. Such as the Permanent Loan building and TD Bank built one of Victoria's ugliest buildings. Then there is the Campbell and RBC built a really ugly concrete building.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
I lost an argument with some people who had visited Victoria. They said there wasn't a shopping mall or a Wal-Mart in the entire city. They drove all over the place looking for one. I think we can assume their exhaustive search covered Government Street in the old town all the way to Pandora and then Wharf Street coming back.

Somewhere online there's a geography professor or some such thing who documented his trip to Victoria. He also noted that the city lacked a Wal-Mart, and I believe he even used the term "backwater". As if he was expecting there to be a Wal-Mart and extensive surface parking at View Street & Douglas. You know, like a real city would have.

Travel reviews are funny for stuff like this. I recall the jogger who went through Beacon Hill park and then stumbled upon... the ocean. He had no idea those miles and miles of waterfront were there. He was miffed that the folks at the hotel desk hadn't informed him.

Another funny one was the family who went for a drive south out of Victoria along a beautiful seaside drive, where there were many fancy houses and bays and beaches and golf courses. Much nicer than Victoria, those towns along the coast south of Victoria.

And so forth.
Maybe if the city keeps growing in 10 years or so Victoria may get a big box store. I thought there was some interest by a big box store some years ago on the parking lot across from .capital. Iron. If I am correct the city didn't want one there or possibly anywhere downtown. At least you were half right in your bet as the Bay Center is a mall downtown. Weird your friend would only drive around Victoria proper to find a walmart. We have the company's second largest store in Saanich. I find these things funny. I had a friend who worked at Buchart's Gardens for several years. She worked in the gift shop. She said a handful of Americans would ask for the Canadian flag in green. She would even get in arguments over it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:49 AM

have they announced whats going into the Mayfair expansion yet?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
have they announced whats going into the Mayfair expansion yet?
I have a friend who works at the information booth. She has been told nothing about new tenants they are keeping quiet until the have a grand opening.

Last edited by vicdevelopments; Apr 15, 2017 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 3:15 AM

They took down the Hudson Walk tower crane today.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 5:42 AM

Here's an article that is in the Time's Colonist regarding building heights and some new developments.

http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...ria-1.15320447

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 5:47 AM

Here is another article regarding Chard's two 20 story building proposal

http://www.vicnews.com/news/model-ho...town-victoria/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 10:26 PM

It's been quiet on here lately

Here's some not so good photos of the new McKenzie and Trans Canada interchange they are making good progress.

McKenzie overpass by steven roberts, on Flickr

McKenzie overpass 3 by steven roberts, on Flickr

McKenzie overpass 2 by steven roberts, on Flickr

New overpass by steven roberts, on Flickr

new Mckenzie overpass by steven roberts, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 1:29 PM

Wow, getting a fast start on that project!

It always amazes me how some projects can linger forever after announcements, while others seem to move into gear before the ink is dry.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdevelopments View Post
I have a friend who works at the information booth. She has been told nothing about new tenants they are keeping quiet until the have a grand opening.
ah will be interesting to see. thanks.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 2:25 AM

that overpass project is moving fast. I was last through that area in about august or september and it had just barely started. Will be nice, I got stuck a few times trying to head north there, could take an hour just to get from mayfair to that intersection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia