HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 3:04 AM
BANNED

Amazing shot Brent. I would love to see the south side of Bannatyne filled.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_c View Post
Some updated info on the Galpern building/ Porter Block. As a condo owner, I don't need to rent...but I sure would love to see these suites when finished! Looks like a great addition to the East Exchange. At a higher price point than Bag Factory, but potentially worth it.
http://www.theporterhouse.ca/
Wait I'm confused, do NONE of the bedrooms in townhouse 2 and 3, and one in TH4 have windows? How is that even allowed?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Wait I'm confused, do NONE of the bedrooms in townhouse 2 and 3, and one in TH4 have windows? How is that even allowed?
Ya that's what it looks like! I couldn't live in a windowless dungeon. And even the mainfloor of those suites has what, one tiny window? Yikes.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 1:43 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It is usually done by one of a few ways.

The rooms have sprinkler system nozzles in them, the room doesn't have doors (sliding dividers) or the bedroom walls do not extend all the way to the ceiling.

A couple of the floorplans in Glasshouse have windowless bedrooms.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Ya that's what it looks like! I couldn't live in a windowless dungeon. And even the mainfloor of those suites has what, one tiny window? Yikes.
As clarification, the main floor windows are definitely not tiny. 4'x8' would be my guess.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 3:08 PM

I am very happy with this development, but I do think the main/lower floors would have been better suited to retail. I'm young, and I would not want to pay $1,500 a month for my living room to be at street level right at the street, especially with a nightclub across the street.

I'm also curious how the entrances to the townhouses are working? Did they buy some of the sidewalk from the city, are they paying an encroachment fee every year?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 3:30 PM

^^ The main floor windows are massive. I suspect the design is for some of that window/light to be exposed upstairs in the bedrooms. While much smaller, the other windows carved into the east side would not be considered small whatsoever.

As for no windows in bedrooms, I'm not sure on regulations, but this is common on loft style condos/apartments. Neither of my bedrooms have windows, but they only have 9' walls which let in lots of light considering my 14' ceilings.

I am confident these Porterhouse apartments will be amazing. If I did not own and was looking at renting I would certainly consider the TH1. I am a fan of large window as mine are 6' x 12' so I can imagine how this TH1 unit would feel.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 3:31 PM

^^ I agree that main floor residential is not ideal in that area... it should have been commercial.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Amazing shot Brent. I would love to see the south side of Bannatyne filled.
It's been empty (save for one building) for almost 100 years AFAIK

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 4:16 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^^ I agree that main floor residential is not ideal in that area... it should have been commercial.
Keep adding people living in the area, and the commercial will take care of itself.

I am all for the unique "townhouse" set-up they did at the main floor. IMO, there is PLENTY of underutilized commercial in that area. Removing another building (with a difficult to utilize floor plate) from the commercial competition isn't going to hurt anything.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 4:17 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
It's been empty (save for one building) for almost 100 years AFAIK
yeah, there was a picture posted on here a while back that seemed to show a 1.5 storey brick (house?) that used to sit somewhere on that lot.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 4:18 PM

^ Yeah, fair enough... obviously the developer made the right business decision for itself. I was thinking "should have been" more from an idealistic standpoint... main floors in the downtown should ideally be commercial uses. But I'll settle for residential.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
yeah, there was a picture posted on here a while back that seemed to show a 1.5 storey brick (house?) that used to sit somewhere on that lot.
You're right.

Houses on the street, the building that it still there today and terrace housing at the corner with Rorie in 1906

By 1914, tumbleweeds

Images taken from the Fire Insurance Plans in the Archives of Canada online.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
You're right.

Houses on the street, the building that it still there today and terrace housing at the corner with Rorie in 1906

Images taken from the Fire Insurance Plans in the Archives of Canada online.
Great images.

What about that gigantic parking lot on the next block of Bannatyne (between Rorie and Waterfront)? Was that also houses at one time? Or was a warehouse demolished at some point? I'd love to see that huge parking lot go too.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 6:33 PM
What could go wrong?

I would think this would look pretty good in that space on Bannatyne.

Fairly small scale but dense.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 6:46 PM
BANNED

I concur.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:14 PM

It wouldn't take much. I wonder who owns the site?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:15 PM
What could go wrong?

I actually find it hard to believe that nothing like this has ever been proposed for downtown. A 3 storey brick facade cant be that expensive.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Great images.

What about that gigantic parking lot on the next block of Bannatyne (between Rorie and Waterfront)? Was that also houses at one time? Or was a warehouse demolished at some point? I'd love to see that huge parking lot go too.
Would love to see something built there. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the owner of that (large) lot answered the RFP for Waterfront Drive with some proposal that would have also built on that lot, but lost out. This is a faint and possibly incorrect memory.

Looks like on the Bannatyne side, there really wasn't anything. Railway sidings in 1906 and the picture below is 1914.

The link for the Archives collection of Fire Insurance Plans is http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_a...ec_nbr=3776923 . Just go into the arrangement structure and browse to your heart's content. Be forewarned that it is a seriously time killer for urban history geeks like me.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:25 PM
BANNED

These would look great lining all the streets west of Waterfront. You know, where acres of industrial blight dominate the landscape.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan