HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
development has already pushed westward on Lancaster so I think its conceivable that you will see more people and better retail west of 40th and Lancaster, if its not happening already. Development on market is already pushing towards 40th and likely will go beyond within 5 years. It certainly helps that 40th street station is getting elevators and related improvements.
Ah, those elevators are likely the construction I noticed driving by.

As for Lancaster Ave itself, there seems to be a very strong break in the retail well before 40th on my couple of drives through, I'm hoping uCity Square will help with some of that and maybe it will push down as well as University City grows, but I don't physically see it happening as of right now, lots of vacant storefronts right around 40th and farther west. Here's hoping though!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Back on dumpsters, additional indication Philly could use some improvement to its dumpster policy:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/0...umpster-legal/

Dumpster right out on the corner at 4th & South.

Yup, that's how well planned cities do it.
I hate to wade into this again, but here I am. I'll say it for the eightieth time. No one disagrees with you that the dumpster situation could use improvement. It just seems that you are oversimplifying a complex situation. That was the only issue anyone had with your comments on it. We all agree, dumpsters in the middle of a commercial street are bad.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 3:05 PM

Quote:
anyone know what retailer is taking over the Finish Line on chestnut street? That's a huge retail space but Ive heard nothing about who is coming there which seems surprising.
Footlocker - signs are all over the windows. And yes, there's one directly across the street.

I'm assuming they are opening a massive flagship branch - then shuttering the smaller one on the south side. There's another space 2 doors down that's also under construction, not sure I've heard what's going in there either.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Iamrobk: more fab UC plywood cash machines for you to enjoy, courtesy of University Realty, the same jerks who have been tearing down the historic buildings on the 4000 block of Chestnut.

University Realty really needs a good sitting down and talking to or just needs to be debarred from doing business in this city. Would it not be preferable to leave the empty lots than have these hacks put up this vitality-squelching ticky tacky tinderboxes? This is just such unpardonably horrible stuff:

http://www.ocfrealty.com/sites/www.o...s/DSCF6591.JPG
Update: http://www.westphillylocal.com/2016/...tinues-monday/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 6:48 PM

Philly Wins National Competition to Reimagine Vine Street Expressway

http://philly.curbed.com/2016/6/28/1...gn-competition

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Footlocker - signs are all over the windows. And yes, there's one directly across the street.

I'm assuming they are opening a massive flagship branch - then shuttering the smaller one on the south side. There's another space 2 doors down that's also under construction, not sure I've heard what's going in there either.
oh, last time I walked by there was no signage in the window. Well I guess that means there will be a new tenant in the old foot locker space. Ive noticed the other boarded up property that appears to be under renovation on the north side of the block, but nothing has changed there in months. I know an Asian restaurant opened on the south side, I believe that was the cricket store. Something is going into the sansom street sides of one of those buildings as well- it might be 1520 or whatever is next door.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

From our retail expert friends at Phillyspeaks:

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/th...y?quote=693243

Quote:
It is Hoops by Foot Locker. So I doubt the Foot Locker across the street will be closed won. Hoops carried the more design conscious sneaker compared to Foot Locker. Price point is higher too.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 8:41 PM

After who knows how long,
Temple Soccer returns to North Philly

Full Size

Full Size

Conwell Hall also getting cleaned up

Full Size

I was just looking for the sweet pic of what Conwell Hall was suppose to look like and randomly found a little article about the renovation from the architects.

what could have been.

Quote:
Conwell Hall is constructed of Wissahickon schist with terra-cotta trim and details. Carnell Hall is constructed of matching schist but has limestone trim and details. Inconsistent masonry repairs have taken place over time and are all being removed. All mortar joints are being raked out and repointed, broken stones are being repaired or replaced, and the severely worn terra-cotta is being repaired and recoated.
http://www.aosarchitects.com/news/construction-update

Also while I was stuck in traffic along Broad earlier today, I noticed that a pretty large apartment complex that use to be a huge blighted eyesore is redone off Windrim Ave. near Broad.

Google Maps gives an idea what it looked like before

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Jun 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
After who knows how long,
Temple Soccer returns to North Philly

Full Size

Full Size

Conwell Hall also getting cleaned up

Full Size

I was just looking for the sweet pic of what Conwell Hall was suppose to look like and randomly found a little article about the renovation from the architects.

what could have been.

http://www.aosarchitects.com/news/construction-update

Also while I was stuck in traffic along Broad earlier today, I noticed that a pretty large apartment complex that use to be a huge blighted eyesore is redone off Windrim Ave. near Broad.

Google Maps gives an idea what it looked like before
So that's what has been going on near Broad and Girard? Awesome!

I saw the Conwell Hall renovations last week. I also saw that Liacouras Walk is also being repaved. I am so excited to start attending Temple this fall!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I am so excited to start attending Temple this fall!
Have fun, study, and enjoy the city!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:22 PM

LOVE Park Renovations Temporarily Halted Due To Infrastructure Issues

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ucture-issues/

Quote:
Parks Commissioner Kathryn Ott Lovell says the project is still on schedule and reopening is still set for next spring, but there were some unexpected delays.

“We just discovered some infrastructure issues that we were not aware of,” Lovell said.

She said crews discovered a water main in their way and had to do some additional soil testing when they found traces of Benzene on the site. But perhaps the biggest puzzle was figuring out how to preserve a set of curved granite steps that the Friends of Paine’s Skate Park hope to install, intact, at a new site.

“Because it was such an iconic place for skateboarders, the idea is that at some point we will work with them to replicate certain elements of the former LOVE park.”

Lovell said she expects demolition work to resume soon.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 12:07 PM
BANNED

The city is getting some of the new glass bus shelters installed along market street, presumably to beat the DNC. There is one up east of 12th street and several other spots are being prepared for shelters.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:16 PM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:34 PM

Quote:
The city is getting some of the new glass bus shelters installed along market street, presumably to beat the DNC. There is one up east of 12th street and several other spots are being prepared for shelters.
That's gonna make a big difference. Those bus shelters are nasty.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
That's gonna make a big difference. Those bus shelters are nasty.
what I'm not clear about is whether or not the huge green shelters on market will be replaced as a part of this program- they are custom shelters that don't match the small, gray standard shelters found elsewhere in the city. They are basically hangouts for guys who have nowhere else to go during the day. Their size and seating accommodations make them a perfect place to sit all day.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Great for the area! I hope this area continues to build up. Would be a very popular neighborhood if the Reading Viaduct park gets off of the ground, and the Vine Street expressway is capped.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
what I'm not clear about is whether or not the huge green shelters on market will be replaced as a part of this program- they are custom shelters that don't match the small, gray standard shelters found elsewhere in the city. They are basically hangouts for guys who have nowhere else to go during the day. Their size and seating accommodations make them a perfect place to sit all day.
I think they are installing 25 or 30 of them around the city. A while back there was a contest they had where you could vote for intersections for them to add a bus shelter. I voted for one in front of where I wait for the bus in the morning but I don't think it won.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
They couldn't find a picture of the building without the bars in front of it?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
Hey, that's artistic. Don't you got any culture, son?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
Not so subtle commentary on the desire to cap 676?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development