HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:08 PM

It's the annex, next to Chase Bank. Nothing else has been done on the Thrifty Block project. Per a new agreement with the City, developer is allowed to postpone construction several more times (after purchasing the property for $100 about 10 years ago).

This is from the Bourn website:

The Annex building design slices the middle third out of the solid facade to create a dramatic entry and presence. Inside, the floor plates are opened up in two places to create sky-lit light wells that bring light down through the three upper floors into the below-grade level. The existing concrete facade is further perforated with round windows at the north along with new sliding doors and balconies to the East to maximize natural light and view potential.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
It's the annex, next to Chase Bank. Nothing else has been done on the Thrifty Block project. Per a new agreement with the City, developer is allowed to postpone construction several more times (after purchasing the property for $100 about 10 years ago).

This is from the Bourn website:

The Annex building design slices the middle third out of the solid facade to create a dramatic entry and presence. Inside, the floor plates are opened up in two places to create sky-lit light wells that bring light down through the three upper floors into the below-grade level. The existing concrete facade is further perforated with round windows at the north along with new sliding doors and balconies to the East to maximize natural light and view potential.
They did obtain an interior demo permit for the Trading Post building in September. I feel like someone on here mentioned that they saw some work going on there a few months back. Too lazy to search, though.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
They did obtain an interior demo permit for the Trading Post building in September. I feel like someone on here mentioned that they saw some work going on there a few months back. Too lazy to search, though.
I walk past that building every day. I've never seen any construction activity there, and from the outside the building looks exactly like it always did. I don't think anything has been done.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 10:13 PM

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwijib0 View Post
I know that recently they talked about making the road wide enough to accomodate the Streetcar. I hope they kept that requirement in this plan. It would be nice if the Streetcar eventually ran East on Broadway to (at least) Alvernon.

Last edited by crzyabe; Feb 24, 2015 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I know that recently they talked about making the road wide enough to accomodate the Streetcar. I hope they kept that requirement in this plan. It would be nice if the Streetcar eventually ran East on Broadway to (at least) Alvernon.
Pretty sure that the current thought is that added third lane could be repurposed for BRT and eventual streetcar use if traffic volumes hold. There's already a transit lane past country club so even if it's mixed-traffic to there afterward it would be have its own ROW, which sort of makes some sense because you would (in theory) have more density near downtown so the time between stops could remain consistent even if the distance between them was not.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 5:05 AM

Scarlett Johansson

If the success of a downtown is measured by the amount of times Scarlett Johansson said "I love Downtown ________" during the Oscars then we're leading the nation.
http://m.tucson.com/entertainment/te...ile_touch=true

Last edited by Ritarancher; Feb 26, 2015 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:47 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Some good news popped up on the business front out by the airport. HomeGoods wants to build their new 800,000 sq ft distribution center here. They are working with the city for a tax incentive agreement. It's on the slate at the meeting March 3rd. Listed to have 410 jobs at opening.

Mayor Council Memo

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMole View Post
Some good news popped up on the business front out by the airport. HomeGoods wants to build their new 800,000 sq ft distribution center here. They are working with the city for a tax incentive agreement. It's on the slate at the meeting March 3rd. Listed to have 410 jobs at opening.

Mayor Council Memo
The Daily Star article from a week ago or so made it seem like it was a sure thing from the Home Goods side. Let's hope nothing crazy happens.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 6:12 PM

Council person Ulich will probably insist they purchase more homeless pods as part of any deal.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwijib0 View Post
Pretty sure that the current thought is that added third lane could be repurposed for BRT and eventual streetcar use if traffic volumes hold. There's already a transit lane past country club so even if it's mixed-traffic to there afterward it would be have its own ROW, which sort of makes some sense because you would (in theory) have more density near downtown so the time between stops could remain consistent even if the distance between them was not.
If they're going to eventually use the road for streetcar (or better yet Light Rail), I wish they'd just put the tracks in now. The last thing we need is to disrupt traffic and spend millions of dollars on a widening project for a couple years then turn around and do the same thing again 20 years (or less) down the road (pardon the pun). It will cost more now to do the rails than it would just to do the road, but it will save money in the long run over having to tear up the road, add the rails, and then have to rebuild the road.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Council person Ulich will probably insist they purchase more homeless pods as part of any deal.
I see someone isn't getting my vote next election

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
If they're going to eventually use the road for streetcar (or better yet Light Rail), I wish they'd just put the tracks in now. The last thing we need is to disrupt traffic and spend millions of dollars on a widening project for a couple years then turn around and do the same thing again 20 years (or less) down the road (pardon the pun). It will cost more now to do the rails than it would just to do the road, but it will save money in the long run over having to tear up the road, add the rails, and then have to rebuild the road.
I think all of us here would prefer that, but that's not how Tucson voters think. Also, the third lane is meant to be dedicated to public transit the way the far right lane is further down Broadway so, theoretically, the only hassle would be that buses would have to travel in the other two lanes during construction.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:52 PM

Although it's not as fast as I wanted to , glad the Old Pueblo is moving forward. Here's more stuff to ponder.

“opening up” 140 acres of industrial zones to mixed use, commercial or residential development in the downtown area. - from Council Babe Regina Romero.

The next phase that we'll begin to see is downtown becoming a real residential area, so more of that market rate housing....There are 3.3 million square feet of under-developed land, and many vacant properties

EDIT: Eventually the modern street car or a light rail will eventually pass through Broadway Rd. I see a lawsuit coming that will force the city to add another lane or two for railway. IT WILL HAPPEN.

Last edited by farmerk; Mar 3, 2015 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 5:49 PM

Karen Uhlich will make sure that most of it is used for homeless pods.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Karen Uhlich will make sure that most of it is used for homeless pods.
Thanks again for the productive input.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:19 AM

Proposal to end downtown's "protest against homelessness"

The council will enact a new camping ordinance modeled after Denver in addition to finding somewhere out of the way for them to move the pods/tents to.

In other Tucson sort-of-news:

Will Forte's new show "Last Man on Earth" premiered on FOX last weekend. It is set in Tucson but I'm not sure where it was filmed. Lots of really really really BAD fake Saguaros by the set dressers.

Anyhow, free on Hulu (no subscription required) for now anyway. I thought it was hilarious, can't wait for the next two episodes.

Last edited by Thirsty; Mar 4, 2015 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:34 AM

County approves $6.6 million for Hughes Access/Aerospace Parkway

http://tucson.com/news/local/county-approves-million-for-hughes-access-road

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
Proposal to end downtown's "protest against homelessness"

The council will enact a new camping ordinance modeled after Denver in addition to finding somewhere out of the way for them to move the pods/tents to.

In other Tucson sort-of-news:

Will Forte's new show "Last Man on Earth" premiered on FOX last weekend. It is set in Tucson but I'm not sure where it was filmed. Lots of really really really BAD fake Saguaros by the set dressers.

Anyhow, free on Hulu (no subscription required) for now anyway. I thought it was hilarious, can't wait for the next two episodes.

I did enjoy the show, though it pains me to see another show set in "Tucson" that is not shot here, thanks to our inability to pass film tax credits that are in place in many other states.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
County approves $6.6 million for Hughes Access/Aerospace Parkway

http://tucson.com/news/local/county-approves-million-for-hughes-access-road

Kind of a weird alignment on the east end, Don't see any weird-shaped parcels in GIS that would require that point unless that's extra buffer for an eventual additional runway at TIA

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest