HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 6:29 PM

October traffic reports have been released

October is up 11% from last year, just 30,000 shy of 1,000,000.

As for YTD, November will have put us well into the 900,000 range judging by these October figures, and we're up 7% from last year.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
October traffic reports have been released

October is up 11% from last year, just 30,000 shy of 1,000,000.

As for YTD, November will have put us well into the 900,000 range judging by these October figures, and we're up 7% from last year.
October included part of the F1 traffic this year. The previous years the whole event was in November, so would have been reflected in that month.

I wonder if the November stats will show a decline because of this?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 10:49 PM

I have a feeling that the increased number of flights added for the holiday season might offset it from going into a negative, but it certainly won't be particularly strong

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post

Also don't be surprised if a Canadian carrier makes a return to the port in the near future. Don't know which one, Air Canada or Westjet I would presume, but they have made inquiries.
Looks like it was Air Canada...

http://kxan.com/2014/12/09/air-canad...in-to-toronto/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
Ugh, a CRJ. I'm not sure I have much confidence in this route with that... Even though they mention the premium seats and IFE, I think most travelers are going to opt for an additional stop rather than sit on a long flight in a small plane. Same thing that plagued Aeromar.

Until we're big enough for another TATL or Asian flight, I think the only other international service that could work is if Southwest offered something.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Well, Air Canada has already tried and failed on this route twice. I can't remember when they started the route the first time - it was within a year or so after ABIA opened - and at the time it was Austin's first international flight. I think it was operated by a DC-9 back then. I *think* the second time was around 2008 (?) with a regional jet and I think after the economy tanked, they left again. Hopefully the third time will be a charm.

The one good thing about it is that arriving passengers from Toronto will not have to clear customs here. Canada has pre-clearance, so they'll go through customs there before they get on the plane. It's a good way for us to boost our international passenger count, without having to actually use our customs facility or the two designated international gates.

Pre-clearance locations

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Ugh, a CRJ. I'm not sure I have much confidence in this route with that... Even though they mention the premium seats and IFE, I think most travelers are going to opt for an additional stop rather than sit on a long flight in a small plane. Same thing that plagued Aeromar.

Until we're big enough for another TATL or Asian flight, I think the only other international service that could work is if Southwest offered something.
I'm not a fan of the CRJ either but I'll take it. I'd rather not have to deal with transfers as they are usually pretty tight and I wind up missing them. Either that or I'm on an overnight flight.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 9:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the CRJ either but I'll take it. I'd rather not have to deal with transfers as they are usually pretty tight and I wind up missing them. Either that or I'm on an overnight flight.
Agreed. "The CRJ 705 offers 10 premium seats and 65 economy seats. Each seat come with personal touch TVs and on demand audio and video is available." is going to be a big enhancement over the fleet used in the previous attempts. Plus AirCanada has brand recognition that Aeromar doesn't have, and traffic between the two airports is significantly higher than it was in 2008.

I'd definitely rather go AUS > YYZ > YUL/YQB than the myriad of connections they try to put me through when I connect through ORD or DFW (once they had me go AUS > ORD > YVR > YUL for some reason)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 10:27 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I think it's interesting when you see the type of plane Air Canada will use then look at British Airways Dreamliner. Shows the difference in volume. To BA's credit, it is the most convenient way for people to travel to Europe in general and not necessarily to London. They are taking full advantage of being the only game in town. I doubt many people plan to fly from here to Toronto to transfer for a flight to Europe.

Kinda funny about the timing, as soon as Aeromar leaves, Air Canada jumps right in.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 10:49 PM

I can definitely see myself using Toronto as a stopover for İstanbul, Keflavíkurflugvöllur, Munich, Frankfurt, Paris... Pretty much anywhere that would be good for a Star Alliance such as Turkish Airways or Lufthansa, (Icelandair codeshares with AirCanada) or too close to London to make a LHR stopover worthwhile. I'm also interested in seeing what effect this has on connecting route prices to Toronto, because after the BA flight took off prices really plummeted.

Again, Toronto commands a much larger marketshare in Austin than Mexico City, so I'm definitely more optimistic about this flight than Aeromar.

Edit: Looking at pricing, the nonstop is $334 roundtrip+tax versus a connection at $564.

Last edited by Digatisdi; Dec 10, 2014 at 1:40 AM. Reason: Added pricing info

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 4:05 AM

I hope you guys are right. But the CRJ705 is the exact same plane type they tried in '08, isn't it? The interior configuration might be different, but it's still a regional jet on a long route. Wish they had an E-190 at least for the route. I just think here in Austin, where all the frequent fliers are used to connections already, they will want to stick with the mainline metal they are already using. To make the sort of splash that BA made, a new international route will have to be on a decent size jet.

But that price difference is certainly tempting.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I hope you guys are right. But the CRJ705 is the exact same plane type they tried in '08, isn't it? The interior configuration might be different, but it's still a regional jet on a long route. Wish they had an E-190 at least for the route. I just think here in Austin, where all the frequent fliers are used to connections already, they will want to stick with the mainline metal they are already using. To make the sort of splash that BA made, a new international route will have to be on a decent size jet.

But that price difference is certainly tempting.
Having flown a CRJ7 before (for 25 minutes though), I don't really think 4 seats across would be a big problem for me, since I still get the same amount of leg-room I would on other aircraft (I think), although I believe the largest con here is the overhead space and the "feeling" of space available.

Yup, $342 (plus bag fees) sounds like a good deal, right?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 6:48 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Houston gaining ANA Tokyo route

Seems alot of people on this thread discuss an asia route. I would imagine this route will be closely watched to see how many passengers originating from Austin hop on.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 7:22 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Speaking of routes to Asia, I just came across this article.

http://reportingtexas.com/new-austin...ional-flights/

Quote:
Now city leaders have their sights on landing more international flights, with an Austin-Tokyo route high on the priority list. It would open Austin to 175 destinations worldwide. Narita International Airport and Tokyo Haneda Airport fly to 103 and 72 destinations, respectively.
It goes on talking about the incentive packages and that it could still be a bit before it happens but it definitely shows that a Tokyo route is the main target.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Speaking of routes to Asia, I just came across this article.

http://reportingtexas.com/new-austin...ional-flights/

It goes on talking about the incentive packages and that it could still be a bit before it happens but it definitely shows that a Tokyo route is the main target.
Heheh, they spoke of the devil and the Toronto flight returned. A good read.

Reading the lines about landing fees, is the BA flight waived from these, and if so, is that why it's "cheaper" (I'm not sure about the price tag for DFW-LHR or IAH-LHR).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 5:50 PM

H

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:51 AM

P

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:15 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
...Take note of the quote provided by Jim Smith:

“It also puts us in a position to get a lot of new airlines to get in here and over the coming year we plan to have a number of new announcements of additional carriers and routes,” Smith says.
Very interesting!

Ladies and gentlemen: let the carrier and route speculation begin...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Very interesting!

Ladies and gentlemen: let the carrier and route speculation begin...
Outside of more Mexico, Canada, Hawaii, Caribbean, if it happens, it will be ICN or NRT, with an outside chance at PVG. It will also likely be a carrier flying 787 assuming the 787-8 has the range.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
...it will be ICN or NRT, with an outside chance at PVG.
Of those three, I would say NRT simply because incentives are being offered for Tokyo, but not ICN or PVG.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin