HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 11:42 AM

Google is losing Sketchup

Google announced on 4/26/12 that they will be selling Sketchup to a company called Trimble. They are a technology company that specializes in GPS technology and serves a number of industries including construction, and agriculture. They have a small specialized presence in the 3D modeling field already, and we all hope this will be a good thing for Sketchup in the long run. Check it out www.TrimbleSketchup.com

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSketcher View Post
Google announced on 4/26/12 that they will be selling Sketchup to a company called Trimble. They are a technology company that specializes in GPS technology and serves a number of industries including construction, and agriculture. They have a small specialized presence in the 3D modeling field already, and we all hope this will be a good thing for Sketchup in the long run. Check it out www.TrimbleSketchup.com
This may or may not be good for trimble

It's obvious Google acquired Sketchup from AtLast to populate GoogleEarth with models, generated by thousands of users for practically no cost. A side benefit was they won over a lot of architecture firms because of the ease of using the software and the trusted google name. The sales generated from firms kept this software operational, despite that google can easily support it themselves.

I kind of wonder if the switch will make the package seem "off brand" And with alot of firms focusing strictly on Revit, Trimble is going to have to prove Sketchup's continued usefulness to the market. Certainly sketchup will remain popular among common users, but it's AEC industry paying the bills. I'd hope they would continue to improve it. I'd actually been happier if Autodesk bought it. I know they'd still keep it free, and they'd probably keep prices extremely low for pro versions.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 8:11 PM
Total Egghead

Wow!

I really enjoyed SU since version 6. I hope they keep it free with some enhancements. I would be saddened to see it go.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 5:53 AM

Best start downloading from 3D warehouse in a rapidly random fashion just in case!

Saying that it might be a good idea to consider the affect the change might have on your own models in there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup