HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:43 AM

What is that building on the right that looks a lot like a copy of the state capitol? I think this is where the former Adam's Mark hotel stands, which I don't think ever looked attractive. It looked like a a chip off the commie block even back in 1985. How sad.

Also, when did CU take over Tivoli?

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 10:11 AM
Closed account

It's interesting how history runs!

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 1:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Its currently known by its address - 1125 17th Street:

http://www.112517thstreet.com/

On the diagram it is still listed as Bank One Tower.
OH, thank you.

just can't believe the amount of Parking around it back then.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
What is that building on the right that looks a lot like a copy of the state capitol? I think this is where the former Adam's Mark hotel stands, which I don't think ever looked attractive. It looked like a a chip off the commie block even back in 1985. How sad.

The building that looks like the capital in that shot is the Arapahoe County Court House. Denver was in Arapahoe County before it was finally made into the City and County of Denver. The courthouse was where the Sheraton (formerly Adams Mark) is now located at 16th and Court Place.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
After the brewery closed in 1969 it evolved into a shopping center...although Auraria (which started to really get developed in the early to mid 70's) always had a presence in the building with a bookstore and other amenities aimed at the colleges. I believe it was the mid-90's when the school took over sole possession of the property for the purpose of a student union.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:41 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

I guess its easy to feel bad about urban renewal now, or easy to feel bad period since it was also a destruction of the urban fabric that made downtown seem "special" even if you were a suburbanite.

But on the other hand, I can only think of my own town, which has one long strip of abandoned garages, shopping centers, and motels. Sometimes its just so depressing to look at I wish a tornado would come and destroy it all. Then again, some of these old buildings are actaully real gems of that 1960's "space age" architecture, and not to mention the run down buildings provide a place for small businesses.

Its hard to say I guess. I can imagine the psychology of seeing a rotting brick building that had been vacant for years previous, and also thinking that suburbs and malls were all the city needs. Subsidizing demolition to make land cheaper to build those shiny new skyscrapers that brought a bright economic future to the city probably made a lot of sense to the planners of that day.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:59 AM

I was going to make a comment about the postcard photo's date, but some others beat me to it. My first trip to Denver was in 1978 and there were more tall buildings in the skyline at that time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos