HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 10:50 PM

Sweetness

https://sweetnessatx.com/

New dessert shop coming to The Riley Building.

Etica

https://do512.com/events/2024/2/10/e...-w-edx-tickets

New EDM club in the former space of sellers.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 11:02 PM

I checked out the brand new restaurant, The Guest House, a couple of days ago! Here's my 1 minute review

https://www.tiktok.com/@gillynova/vi...79504591603246

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:47 PM

There's a new brunch spot on Mueller and I checked it out with my gf and friend a couple of weekends ago. Check out my review of Dish Society! Definitely felt like it's going to help activate the area even more!

https://www.tiktok.com/@gillynova/vi...94437974953259

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 12:10 AM

Any word on what's going in the old Stereotype? It's gotta be close to opening but haven't found anything online.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 9:20 PM

Unbelievable on Rainey is gone

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 4:12 PM

did they get bought out by someone? Or is this more related to that allegations/scandal thing from awhile back

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblasa View Post
did they get bought out by someone? Or is this more related to that allegations/scandal thing from awhile back
Their location on West 6th is still open. My guess is their lease wasn't renewed for whatever reason (maybe some other entity was willing to pay more) or the property was sold. I wouldn't be surprised to see a multi-level bar built here. That seems to be a new trend on Rainey.

Last edited by paul78701; May 4, 2024 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 6:56 PM

That would be nice. Packing as much content in will help spread the op costs and restore the amount of options to the area

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 3:34 AM
クラブトクヨ

F that place. Hope the next thing is this spot is cool!

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 3:46 PM

Yeah, the owner was racist anyways.

But here's to hopefully a nice, new bar because Rainey is super dead. In my opinion, majority of people are now on West (Biased cuz I'm there almost every weekend lol)

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Yeah, the owner was racist anyways.

But here's to hopefully a nice, new bar because Rainey is super dead. In my opinion, majority of people are now on West (Biased cuz I'm there almost every weekend lol)
West 6th is on borrowed time also.

East Austin is the new Rainey, just more spread out.

Manchaca south of Slaughter is filling in nicely also.

This is Texas. Highrise bars are boring and sterile. A lot of people want a human-scaled environment where they can bring a dog, be outside, and listen to music. They could've pivoted with Rainey and kept the bungalows while ringing the district with highrises, but out of town developers don't give a single thought to anything other than maximizing shareholder value. They really killed the golden goose there (not to be confused with the South Lamar bar) and could've had the best of both worlds. Now we're left with a crowded street that's a nightmare to get in/out of with everyone that lives or will live there soon once the Manhattanization is complete, and their cars in the podiums.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
West 6th is on borrowed time also.

East Austin is the new Rainey, just more spread out.

Manchaca south of Slaughter is filling in nicely also.

This is Texas. Highrise bars are boring and sterile. A lot of people want a human-scaled environment where they can bring a dog, be outside, and listen to music. They could've pivoted with Rainey and kept the bungalows while ringing the district with highrises, but out of town developers don't give a single thought to anything other than maximizing shareholder value. They really killed the golden goose there (not to be confused with the South Lamar bar) and could've had the best of both worlds. Now we're left with a crowded street that's a nightmare to get in/out of with everyone that lives or will live there soon once the Manhattanization is complete, and their cars in the podiums.
Yeah, Rainey has never been my fav part of downtown, but now it really falls far down the list for me.

It's kind of like the dirty 6th now (just more clean and with resi), no? Every recent transplant or tourist always talks about it like a fly to light, but most locals I know would never go there. There are those little hubs in Austin that are made for tourists and newbies, which every good city does need after all.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Yeah, Rainey has never been my fav part of downtown, but now it really falls far down the list for me.

It's kind of like the dirty 6th now (just more clean and with resi), no? Every recent transplant or tourist always talks about it like a fly to light, but most locals I know would never go there. There are those little hubs in Austin that are made for tourists and newbies, which every good city does need after all.
Yeah, I've lived on Rainey for around 8 years now, and I generally agree. I dream that the increased number of residents will help with demand for certain quality-of-life things in the area, but it hasn't happened yet. In my building and a couple other condos here, a surprisingly high proportion of people are in the older crowd of "we lived in Westlake/Terrytown/Hyde Park, our kids graduated high school and we no longer need 4000 sq feet." There's nothing exactly wrong with that, but it's not exactly the crowd that will push to keep Rainey's active nightlife or anything more rowdy than a Pilates studio.

I think Paseo -- for all that the top of the building got value engineered a good bit -- will be great in terms of adding things to the area given the amount of commercial space planned there. IIRC, there are at least four distinct spaces (though that may change depending on specific tenants and how much they lease). Functionally every other building in the area provides (or will provide) very little both in terms of architecture/style, and for keeping Rainey an active area with restaurants and bars.

Case in point, compare the Vesper, the Travis, Camden (or whatever the mid-rise complex is called now), Modern, 700 River, and especially the few hotels along East Ave. Only the Camden has more than a single restaurant or bar, which I've always believed was a bit of a fluke given how fortunate they were that Little Brother bar was happy with 300 sq ft of space. Yet regardless, the Camden has a good amount of ground-level apartments, and none of the others have any other manner of commercial space. IMO, all of these are severely underutilized in terms of commercial space, or more generally just things that benefit people outside of residents/occupants of the respective buildings.

That said, I'd still encourage you to check out Half Step and Little Brother (the scaffolding work on the Camden notwithstanding). Neither are the sort of place you'd go mid-afternoon with your dog, but they'd remained pretty nice places with a different crowd compared to the rest of Rainey.

Last edited by Geckos_Rule; May 9, 2024 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
... a surprisingly high proportion of people are in the older crowd of "we lived in Westlake/Terrytown/Hyde Park, our kids graduated high school and we no longer need 4000 sq feet."
There should be little to nothing surprising about Empty Nesters, who benefitted from the greatest transfer of wealth and asset inflation any generation has ever seen, being the only ones who can afford wildly overpriced skyboxes and condos. Those people aged out of the bar scene decades ago, by lifestyle and literal age, so they have no interest in a like for like replacement of what was there.

This is how we end up with yet another sterile corporate canyon full of perpetual "FOR LEASE" signs on the ground floor retail, yoga studios, and chain junk like Chipotle.

And to stave off the "well this was the plan for Rainey all along with the upzoning" comments: I'll ask again: Why not pivot to a better plan and have the best of both worlds?!
One does not need a PhD in Urban Planning to recognize when something unique exists, either by chance or plan.

But no, the big money developers only want to maximize shareholder value. Then they'll move on to the next thing to wholly destroy, either here or another city.
Rinse and repeat. Yay progress.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:40 AM

The original plan was to save the bungalows but turn them into boutiques and wine bars, not another version of Dirty Sixth.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
There should be little to nothing surprising about Empty Nesters, who benefitted from the greatest transfer of wealth and asset inflation any generation has ever seen, being the only ones who can afford wildly overpriced skyboxes and condos. Those people aged out of the bar scene decades ago, by lifestyle and literal age, so they have no interest in a like for like replacement of what was there.

This is how we end up with yet another sterile corporate canyon full of perpetual "FOR LEASE" signs on the ground floor retail, yoga studios, and chain junk like Chipotle.

And to stave off the "well this was the plan for Rainey all along with the upzoning" comments: I'll ask again: Why not pivot to a better plan and have the best of both worlds?!
One does not need a PhD in Urban Planning to recognize when something unique exists, either by chance or plan.

But no, the big money developers only want to maximize shareholder value. Then they'll move on to the next thing to wholly destroy, either here or another city.
Rinse and repeat. Yay progress.
What you and Gekos have said is totally spot on. Thank you for spelling it out -- 99% of my harping on here (which feels like a lot lately, sorry y'all) stems from the lack of creativity and imagination put into our new developments. Also the erasure of our character in exchange for banal housing.

I am rooting for Austin to get more dense urban projects, mass transit, culture, real ART, etc., but still feel like there's this growing delta from what I originally felt so enthusiastic about to the current state of things.

Also, Gekos, I met an older couple a week ago at a dinner engagement that live in Rainey and they were A. from Westlake, B. renting their condo to some "young party guy" C. drove a F-250 lol.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The original plan was to save the bungalows but turn them into boutiques and wine bars, not another version of Dirty Sixth.
that wasn't the plan. that's what happened while they waited for development.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
that wasn't the plan. that's what happened while they waited for development.
Sorry, you are wrong. I'm talking about the plan to upzone that I actually worked on in the early 2000s. We recommended allowing some height at the rear of lots and along surrounding streets but retaining the National Register of Historic District bungalows for compatible commercial uses. The bars came about after it was upzoned to CBD (with limited constraints), but the economy was not conducive to high rise residential development. Bridget Dunlop realized that would allow bars and took advantage of it. Nobody else saw that coming.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin