HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 3:13 PM

Noticed that the Vistas has a big red "NOW OPEN" stuck on over the "coming soon" sign on Somerset St. Looks like the Venetian may still have a ways to go. Still no sign of balconies being installed (although the brackets are there so they must be doing prefab that just bolt into place)

Other than Steepleview and 1st Fundy Quay building starting things seem very quiet.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Noticed that the Vistas has a big red "NOW OPEN" stuck on over the "coming soon" sign on Somerset St. Looks like the Venetian may still have a ways to go. Still no sign of balconies being installed (although the brackets are there so they must be doing prefab that just bolt into place)

Other than Steepleview and 1st Fundy Quay building starting things seem very quiet.
City hall renos continue, work on St. Vincent's has started (not sure about St. Pat's, and we're still aiming for an August start for my Waterloo project.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 5:48 PM

Proposed public hearing date for July 8th, 2024.
  • 910 Fairville Boulevard = To facilitate the construction of an approximately a 60-unit multi-unit residential building.

• 1750 Sandy Point Road = To facilitate the construction of two, 60-unit apartment buildings.

• 1670 Hickey Road = To facilitate the development of a second special care residence.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 6:07 PM

Interesting. What would 60 units most likely to be around here? Four floors or six?

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 8:28 PM

Steel is going up for the Integrated Health Initiative building at UNBSJ.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Proposed public hearing date for July 8th, 2024.
  • 910 Fairville Boulevard = To facilitate the construction of an approximately a 60-unit multi-unit residential building.

• 1750 Sandy Point Road = To facilitate the construction of two, 60-unit apartment buildings.

• 1670 Hickey Road = To facilitate the development of a second special care residence.
1750 Sandy point road is listed on realtor. I suspect the permit is a marketing activity, than anything else -- the spendy single residence lots didn't sell...

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 5:19 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Arthur Irving has died at the age of 93.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 10:56 PM

During tonight's public hearing related to the new NB Museum, officials said if all goes well they will be breaking ground in the next few months.

Starting in a few weeks they will be doing some fundraising for the Museum board's portion of the funding for the project. They also confirmed they are keeping the new Lancaster Avenue collections and research facility in addition to the new museum. (Staff parking will be off-site at the Lancaster Avenue site with a shuttle service between the two for the staff).

Also, there will be 3D virtual scans of the 4 historic homes before they begin demolition. As well as they will be salvaging and repurposing anything of historic value. (Will be used in either the new NB Museum or will be donated).

The city and province also are working on some things to help address the traffic related concerns of Douglas Avenue.

The Municipal Plan and Rezoning By-Law Amendments have PASSED the 1st and 2nd reading.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 4:08 PM

The mayor posted on social media that the city has processed $68-million worth in development so far this year. She said the applications keep coming in.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 9:42 PM

Has anyone heard anything substantive about Brent Harris’s plan to turn to the former Belyea Arena into transitional housing?

It sounds like a truly horrible idea for the neighbourhood. I find it incredulous that Brent is saying it’s a deeply “desirable opportunity to build within” when the city had an offer on the table from a private investor that wanted to keep the ice rink in operation. Desirable to whom exactly? Certainly not to the residents of that neighbourhood!

Transitional housing is the last thing the Bayshore area of the West Side needs… what that area needs is some more condos, apartments, and new homes with nice ocean views. Some condos or apartments at the Belyea propert makes a lot more sense to fulfill our development goals than stuffing 50 people in a repurposed ice rink. Frankly, it’s offensive enough that they shut down the rink… turning it into transitional housing would be the salt in the wound that’s just completely uncalled for, imo.

It’s a huge property with far more potential for development than Brent’s short sighted band aid solution which could be totally disastrous for the future of the neighbourhood. Call me a NIMBY all you want, but there’s far more appropriate locations in Saint John for transitional housing than this.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of Brent’s plan to turn the Belyea into transitional housing actuallly happening? If likely, any suggestions on how to try and stop it from happening?

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 12:45 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Has anyone heard anything substantive about Brent Harris’s plan to turn to the former Belyea Arena into transitional housing?

It sounds like a truly horrible idea for the neighbourhood. I find it incredulous that Brent is saying it’s a deeply “desirable opportunity to build within” when the city had an offer on the table from a private investor that wanted to keep the ice rink in operation. Desirable to whom exactly? Certainly not to the residents of that neighbourhood!

Transitional housing is the last thing the Bayshore area of the West Side needs… what that area needs is some more condos, apartments, and new homes with nice ocean views. Some condos or apartments at the Belyea propert makes a lot more sense to fulfill our development goals than stuffing 50 people in a repurposed ice rink. Frankly, it’s offensive enough that they shut down the rink… turning it into transitional housing would be the salt in the wound that’s just completely uncalled for, imo.

It’s a huge property with far more potential for development than Brent’s short sighted band aid solution which could be totally disastrous for the future of the neighbourhood. Call me a NIMBY all you want, but there’s far more appropriate locations in Saint John for transitional housing than this.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of Brent’s plan to turn the Belyea into transitional housing actuallly happening? If likely, any suggestions on how to try and stop it from happening?
Wow. Didn't know this was one of his initiatives.

One of the recent books I read was San Fransicko by Michael Shellenberger; who describes how people such as Brent and his compatriots are caustic to cities.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleRequired View Post

One of the recent books I read was San Fransicko by Michael Shellenberger; who describes how people such as Brent and his compatriots are caustic to cities.
I don't want to veer off in politics but I have to agree. Whether it's from the hard right or the ultra progressive left, ideology gets in the way of good government and effective programs.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 8:35 PM

Quote:

Who are his compatriots exactly? To me Brent seems concerned with expanding his own brand and recognition than he cares about transforming the city in the ways he talks about. And boy oh boy does he seem to enjoy the sound of his own voice “Vacant 2 Vibrant” seems like a fine idea, at least in theory, and if it sticks to residential homes and appropriate conversions of commercial buildings into residential, not ice rinks

Brent’s idea of turning a once popular community rink into transitional housing would likely be absolutely disastrous for that neighbourhood, right? Call me a NIMBY, but I think this is fundamentally different than being opposed to some condos or apartments going up there… as it would take away all hope that the community rink will reopen, and ensuring that it will be turned into something far worse for the community. There’s far more appropriate places for transitional housing than an abandoned ice rink in the middle of a quaint, seaside neighbourhood. Transitional housing should be in a transitional area. Build a dignified shelter on the fringe of an industrial area, or put up more temporary shelters on vacant land, of which we have no shortage of. Don’t take away a neighbourhood rink and replace it with something that will tank people’s property value, and marginalize the neighbourhood.

The use of the Belyea as a winter homeless shelter was bad enough, that was totally Uptown elites offloading “their homeless problem” on a quiet, calm seaside neighbourhood. It was disgusting I saw a very prominent city planner proclaim online that the city deserved a lot of praise for their courage to shut down legacy rinks like the Belyea which have become too expensive to maintain. Meanwhile his salary, and the salary of the other guy at the city who came up with the idea to us the Belyea as a homeless shelter in the first place combine for far more than the supposed cost savings of like $150,000 a year or something that they claimed they unlocked by shutting down the arena. The real kicker for me was that the city employee whose idea it was to turn the Belyea into a homeless shelter in the first place, is someone who lives out in Hampton. I think it’s safe to say Hampton residents wouldn’t be in favour of shutting down their rink to house homeless bussed in from Uptown Saint John… but that’s exactly what we got on the West Side. No one was in favour of it, there was no consultations, it was simply foisted on our neighbourhood. People online were praising the use of the unused facility online, but almost none of them lived on the west side. There’s a guy who lives by the rink that has taken pictures of the needles, trashed bikes, and all kinds of ridiculous garbage that was created as a result of this brilliant decision to shut down the rink and turn it into a homeless shelter. 5 years ago, it was a very busy rink with the parking lot full. The city is full of it when they try and claim that the rink was beyond saving— they had offers to buy it from private interests to keep operating it as a rink, but they were scared they couldn’t complete. (Brilliant decision)

The one thing I’ve noticed about Saint Johnners online, is that many virtue signal about the need to fix homelessness, and many take it even further and basically try and say we shouldn’t spend government money on anything until we “solve the homelessness problem”. Heck, some of them crawl out of the woodwork and say the same when privately funded projects are announced. I think we should do more to help the homeless. I think premier Higgs and the PC’s haven’t done enough. We need to built better homeless shelters, we need better access to mental health care, and above all, we need to build far more affordable housing for renters. Shutting down a quaint neighbourhood’s rink and turning it into a homeless shelter than transitional housing isn’t what any neighbourhood in Saint John needs, not when we have so much vacant land, and under-utilized land within and adjacent to industrial and commercial areas.

I maintain that it’s a site with far more positive potential than Brent’s trash idea to turn it into transitional housing, but I worry the city and other power players outside the West Side might see it as a cheap opportunity to say they’ve actually done something about the housing affordability crisis. While it very well could be a cost effective solution to providing transitional housing to 30-50 people at any given time, it’s absolutely not worth the cost or rather the toll on the neighbourhood that its presence and operations would have on the neighbourhood. 50 transitional beds aren’t worth tanking the property value of hundreds of homes in the surrounding neighbourhood, and fundamentally changing the landscape of the community for the worse.

Any insight on the likelihood of this proposal from happening and how effectively oppose it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I don't want to veer off in politics but I have to agree. Whether it's from the hard right or the ultra progressive left, ideology gets in the way of good government and effective programs.
Pragmatism is far more crucial than ideology. Ideology is important, and it’s a good thing if our leaders have strong values, vision, and ideological foundation. However, the mark of a great leader is someone who gets things done, despite ideological differences, as they can always find pragmatic solutions. I’d say New Brunswick and Saint John especially have an unfortunate dearth of pragmatic leaders. We have a lot of leaders who claim they are pragmatic, but few who are actually pragmatic.

The problem with Brent here with his idea to turn The Belyea Arena is how inconsistent it makes him look. He claims that the arena is beyond salvage and has run its course as an ice rink (its not even the oldest city owned rink), but at the same time he wants to save and salvage 100+ year old shacks that are quite literally falling apart. He knows there’s far more pragmatic solutions for the Belyea than what he’s suggested, but most of those ideas wouldn’t involve him so he wouldn’t get any credit. He actually had the gall to say surrounding residents probably wouldn’t want to see condos or apartments go up in the place of the Belyea Arena. He’s right there would be some opposition to condos or apartments going up at the Belyea Arena property, since it’s literally hundreds of people’s back yard, but compared to transitional housing? Come on.

It’s just a terrible idea, right? There’s far be better locations for transitional housing in in the The Saint John Region than inside the Belyea Arena. Is it really too much to expect transitional housing to be built in transitional areas?

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 11:29 AM

“supportive housing” means an establishment that provides housing with wrap-around services to individuals or family units. The services may include monitoring, counselling, teaching, life skills development, and the use of common living spaces. The definition does not include rooming houses. [2023, C.P. 111-150]

From Zonesj. This initiated the ability for the Belyea arena to be converted to this type of use; and removed existing protections prohibiting this use in residential neighborhoods.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
“supportive housing” means an establishment that provides housing with wrap-around services to individuals or family units. The services may include monitoring, counselling, teaching, life skills development, and the use of common living spaces. The definition does not include rooming houses. [2023, C.P. 111-150]

From Zonesj. This initiated the ability for the Belyea arena to be converted to this type of use; and removed existing protections prohibiting this use in residential neighborhoods.
So does this mean it would be easier for Brent Harris to push something through here even if it's opposed by the surrounding residents?

Is there really a difference between supportive housing and transitional housing, or is it simply a euphemism the city is trying to use?

We already saw how quickly the city jumped at the opportunity to turn the recently closed down Belyea Arena into a winter homeless shelter, I'm a little worried they'll do the same thing again with this "great idea" from Brent the Builder.

Bussing homeless from Uptown Saint John to the Belyea was straight up Uptown elites foisting "their homeless problem" onto the West Side. From what I heard, it was a city worker who resides in Hampton that came up with the "brilliant idea" in the first place. Pardon me if I don't exactly believe that guy from Hampton truly cares about what's best for the West Side.

Brent Harris claims he has dozens of people supporting and even wanting to donate money towards this idea of his to turn the Belyea into transitional housing. I highly doubt many of them actually live anywhere near the Belyea arena, or the west side, or even the city of limits for that matter.

Supposedly, Brent will be making the case for this usage of the Belyea to council in July. Hopefully the West Side community can get out ahead of him and shut this bad idea down before it gets foisted on us with no consultation, just like they did with shutting down the Belyea, and the decision to turn it into a winter homeless shelter after that.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:01 PM

I hope some of you on the forum would consider making it known to the city that this proposal from Brent Harris would not be good for the West Side, and not good for the city in general. There's far better places to build transitional or "supportive" housing than in the middle of residential neighbourhoods. There's all kinds of other areas that are literally transitional, liminal areas, that would be far more appropriate locations for transitional housing, than within a residential neighbourhood like the where the Belyea is.

I'm all for increasing the taxes on vacant land, vacant buildings, and saving vacant, abandoned buildings and making them viable housing. Or converting office buildings, and other commercial buildings into residential where possible. But shutting down my neighbourhood's hockey rink, turning it into a temporary homeless shelter, and then transitional housing after that failed? That's just beyond the pale, imo. We don't have enough rinks in the region to begin with... that report they commissioned was absolute crap.

If anyone has any insights or ideas on how to effectively push back against Brent's terrible idea, it would be greatly appreciated!

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
So does this mean it would be easier for Brent Harris to push something through here even if it's opposed by the surrounding residents?
Use that is consistent with zoneSJ would have an easy technical review at most stages of a project application. In addition, Joanna Killen --- Ward 1 representative --- would champion this also.

This is one of the compatriots.

The time to oppose this was during the zonesj change that occurred in 2023. The dilution of the zoning bylaws was an error on councils part; that is difficult to walk back.

The only thing is the definition for supporting housing, a zonesj defined term. This would be a case where they'd use one term publicly facing and another term on applications. It means the same thing.

Last edited by TitleRequired; May 17, 2024 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:01 PM

In the upcoming PAC meeting on May 22nd is:
  • a proposal for twelve buildings, (each containing 5 townhouse units), and five multiple unit buildings, (each containing 24 dwelling units). This will be located at 50 Heather Way. Also a new Public Street will be constructed through the site linking Heather Way to Grandview Avenue. The applicant is Dunnett's Landscaping Ltd.

• Also a proposal for two, 10-unit residential buildings at 435 Woodward Avenue. The applicant is Housing New Brunswick.

Last edited by DyAm00394; May 17, 2024 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Use that is consistent with zoneSJ would have an easy technical review at most stages of a project application. In addition, Joanna Killen --- Ward 1 representative --- would champion this also.

This is one of the compatriots.

The time to oppose this was during the zonesj change that occurred in 2023. The dilution of the zoning bylaws was an error on councils part; that is difficult to walk back.

The only thing is would the use meet the definition for supporting housing. This would be a case where they'd use one term publicly facing and another term on applications. It means the same thing.
More like partner in crime But, he's really claimed to have dozens on his side to support this use of the Belyea as transitional housing, and I really don't think many of them live on the West Side or anywhere near the arena.

Stuffing 50+ people including the "24/7 support staff" into a hockey rink is offensive on so many levels. It's offensive that Canada's oldest city is shutting down hockey rinks, and offensive that Canadians will be shoved into living in an abandoned rink because we can't build more dignified transitional housing elsewhere, where they won't be subjects of resentment and disdain from the surrounding residents.

We have a need for more senior care homes too, and I don't think people in the surrounding neighbourhood would be quite as upset about the Belyea Arena being turned into an assisted living community for seniors, but even that would still be a pretty poor use of the property, considering it's size and oceanview location. It could be used for far more, and the rink could be re-opened and operated by private interests, of which there remains plenty. Ice time remains a scarce commodity in the Greater Saint John Region, and people out as far as Quispamsis, Nauwigewauk, or even further are willing to travel into Saint John to rent ice. The report that claims Saint John already had too many rinks was largely full of crap, not when you take into account population growth in the bedroom communities.

While it's true Saint John is quite below it's 90,000 peak, the Saint John Region has been steadily growing for decades and is well on it's way to 150 and 200k people one day. There was lots of life left in that arena, and lots of people wanting to use it from all over the region... the cost savings just simply aren't enough to justify shutting down a rink used by the entire region. The bedroom communities called the city's bluff on user fees, and the city just folded and shut down a rink instead. It's just insulting that the city won't let a private operator take over the rink and subdivide the property. Their rink reports are based on the needs of the city proper population alone. The region as a whole actually has a dearth of rinks, and people in the bedroom communities tend to be a lot wealthier and more likely to put their kids in recreational hockey. It was a bogus move by the city, and emblematic of why we haven't seen someone from the Saint John Region in the NHL for years. The city could have went with their 4 rink strategy, and let the hockey coach buy the rink and improve it... now we're expected to get stuck with transitional housing in place of our rink? It's a crap use for a rink, and borderline un-Canadian. We don't shut down rinks to provide people a place to sleep, unless there's some sort of natural disaster. Hockey is our national sport and past time... we have other buildings, and we have vacant land elsewhere. It's ridiculous to shut down a rink that has lots of life left it, and had a private operator lined up to buy it, but instead Brent Harris wants us to go with something that will negatively impact property values in the host neighbourhood.

The idea that we should keep a rink shut down that was used by thousands of people in the region, to provide not even 50 units of ultra low income, transitional housing in a residential area that doesn't want it. Moreover, other than Joana Killen, I don't think there's a single West Sider on his "Vacant to Vibrant" team, so it's not going to impact their house values or impact the vibrancy of their neighbourhood.

It's just an amazing level of short sighted thinking that could keep the neighbourhood trapped with this operating for decades to come, instead of being something that the neighbourhood actually wants, more affordable rental housing for people with jobs and families. I know it's beside the rail yard, but it's an undeniably scenic location, and the type of property that would be considered close to prime ocean view real estate in any other city that had its act together. You could build hundreds of units across a few residential towers on that property, with ample parking, and not even have to tear down the rink. The rink should be reopened by the city or outsourced to a private rink operator, and the city should wait and seek a private developer to build some condos and apartments in the rest of the property, and it's quite a large property. Sacrificing one soccer-field for hundreds of new housing units, is a worthy exchange, and would actually be good for the neighbourhood, and the city's overall image.

Gleaming ocean view condos towers are vibrant. A hockey game on a cold December night full of cheering parents and their kids having fun on the ice... that is vibrant. Shutting down hockey rinks and turning them into ultra low/ no income housing, that is DISMAL.

If I correctly understand what you're saying, it sounds like since the 2023 changes, getting the Belyea approved for use as "supportive housing" is easier than it would be to get approved as new residential housing within the surrounding neighbourhood? While this is definitely troubling, let's not forget that politics is the art of the possible. It may be hard to deny use under the new bylaws, but zoning of the property could still be changed. No matter what happens with the site, it's ultimately going to come down to a vote, right? even for a technical review? right...?

There's far more votes on council than Killen and Harris, and there's quite a lot of time until July to make some noise about this planned usage that frankly most people don't even know about. There's still time to try to influence the vote against this proposed usage to allow transitional housing to be built on top of prime, oceanfront property a stones throw away from half a million dollar beachfront homes, and surrounded by a generally quiet and well kept part of the west side. I think council could be convinced to deny permission to Brent's plan, and hold out for a project that would increase the economic value of the surrounding neighbourhood.

I also think they could be convinced to allow the rink to reopen as a private operation, as there's absolutely a demand for ice time. The property currently valued at $1,757,100 is generating 0 tax revenue for the city. As a private rink it would generate property tax revenue for the city, as supportive housing it might still not generate any property tax revenue for the city. Reopening the rink and building some residential towers in the field and into park/playground would be a great opportunity for the city to generate a lot more property tax revenue.

There's room to increase the already ample parking, and there's a nearby sign only bustop on chapel that could be moved to the Belyea.

There's all kinds of room in the field, park, and playground behind the arena to build a few residential towers with ample green space in between, and the kicker is that there is even an exit onto City Line, to help deal with "traffic concerns".

The city should prioritize growing the tax base, and there's definitely an opportunity to do that with the Belyea Arena property. We need more infill housing than we need that soccer field, the park not popular, and the playground could be improved with something much better.

The city should think about what's best for the long term interests of the neighbourhood and the city at large, and hold out to attract a developer who could transform the site into something to actually be excited about as something positive, perhaps something like this:

Sorry, for my longwinded reply... I appreciate your response and clarification regarding the bylaw changes. Thank you.

Last edited by EnvisionSaintJohn; May 18, 2024 at 9:21 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces