HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:44 PM

Austin's award was one of the larger ones from the $3.3B pool. We were 10th largest out of the announced awards. Intrestingly, the largest project, in Portland, got $450M and includes caps that can support buildings of 3-6 stories. This is compared to our reported maybe 2 stories tops. Their project includes a lot of other things, so I don't know how to compare them really but it's interesting that their planned cap can hold so much development.

They have better Senators.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:37 PM
World Traveler

I thought about posting this in the Metro thread but it's technically a transportation project, so here goes:

TxDOT holding Marble Falls open house on 281-71 work
https://www.dailytrib.com/2024/03/13...n-281-71-work/

Shorter version: construction won't start until at least 2029. But it could be a boost to more growth (i.e., sprawl) up 71 from Austin. That said, the amount of growth happening and planned at this intersection for what has always been country near a small town is not small. I know a lot of folks who commute via 1431 and 71 for work and obviously many more for shopping and entertainment.

Did some digging on TxDOT and found this project page:
https://www.txdot.gov/projects/proje...terchange.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNB View Post
Austin's award was one of the larger ones from the $3.3B pool. We were 10th largest out of the announced awards. Intrestingly, the largest project, in Portland, got $450M and includes caps that can support buildings of 3-6 stories. This is compared to our reported maybe 2 stories tops. Their project includes a lot of other things, so I don't know how to compare them really but it's interesting that their planned cap can hold so much development.

They have better Senators.
The scale of buildings on the caps has nothing to do with the politicians. TxDOT dictated the load limits from the very beginning. The taller the potential buildings, the larger the foundations needed in the highway footprint. That being said, those working on this have been pushing back against TxDOT and there is always a possibility that TxDOT will agree to higher load limits if they can be persuaded through the design process that it will not impact the functionality of the highway.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The scale of buildings on the caps has nothing to do with the politicians. TxDOT dictated the load limits from the very beginning. The taller the potential buildings, the larger the foundations needed in the highway footprint. That being said, those working on this have been pushing back against TxDOT and there is always a possibility that TxDOT will agree to higher load limits if they can be persuaded through the design process that it will not impact the functionality of the highway.
It was a joke.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 3:17 PM

Texas Attorney General Paxton targets Austin's light-rail plans

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2...x-rate-lawsuit

KUT 90.5 | By Nathan Bernier
Published March 19, 2024 at 5:01 AM CDT

Austin's effort to build a high-frequency urban rail network is facing a challenge from Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, whose legal arguments seek to dismantle the funding mechanism behind the voter-endorsed transit expansion.

In a court filing, Paxton slammed the city's payment plan for the 10-mile light-rail starter system. The financial strategy was designed to navigate the increasingly tight strictures the state Legislature has placed on how Texas cities raise money.

If a court sides with Paxton, it could kill the light-rail expansion known as Project Connect.

In November 2020, Austin voters approved a 21% increase in the maintenance and operations portion of their property tax rate to fund the project. The tax hike generates about $166 million a year and growing.

The city transfers tax money to the Austin Transit Partnership, an entity authorized by voters to build and finance light-rail. ATP needs big loans to cover the high upfront construction costs. The tax cash helps ATP secure loans and then pay them off.

A transit map showing the light-rail line stretching from downtown in three directions: east to Yellow Jacket Lane, north to 38th Street and south to Oltorf Street.
Austin Transit Partnership
The transit map adopted by the Austin City Council, Capital Metro and ATP shows light-rail stretching in three directions from downtown: north to 38th Street, south to Oltorf Street and east to Yellow Jacket Lane.
The estimated price tag of $4.7 billion in 2022 dollars could reach $7.1 billion by the time construction starts, according to a draft financial plan in ATP's application for federal grants. The estimate doesn't include interest payments on debt.

Federal grants could cover up to half the costs of the light-rail system, ATP executives say. But the agency is planning to borrow some $1.75 billion in bonds to kickstart construction, which wouldn't begin until 2027 at the earliest.

The politically conservative Texas attorney general, who's on track to be tried for felony fraud this spring, resurrected arguments he made in a legal opinion last year. Paxton said the maintenance and operations portion of a property tax bill can't be used to pay down public debt.

"The City attempted to create a contract with the voters that ... the Tax Code did not authorize," Paxton said in the filing, calling the funding plan "void at the time of its original execution."

Paxton's filing comes as ATP is asking the state court to remove any doubt about the local government corporation's ability to issue bonds. ATP and the city filed the so-called "bond-validation" lawsuit to preemptively stop the attorney general from blocking the sale of bond debt, a power he has over local government corporations like ATP.

"It’s part of an effort to protect this voter-approved, generational light rail project for generations to come," Mayor Kirk Watson said last month in his newsletter. "The statute includes an expedited timeline for the court to act so the litigation won’t drag on for years and years, imperiling the project."

In legal documents, ATP insists it is following state law. The city is allowed to collect revenue from the voter-approved tax increase and transfer the money to ATP. As a local government corporation, ATP has the authority to borrow money to carry out its purpose, the agency says in its filing.

If a court agrees with Paxton and finds ATP cannot borrow money, it could kill light-rail. That's exactly what a group of plaintiffs wants.

"You are seeing the beginning of the end of the biggest con job ever perpetrated on the taxpayers of Austin," said Bill Aleshire, an attorney representing plaintiffs in a separate suit over ATP's power to borrow. "When all is said and done, I expect the final court decision to result in a rollback of the almost 21% Austin property tax increase being used to [fund] Project Connect and a refund of hundreds of millions of those dollars that ATP has on hand, unspent," Aleshire said in an email.

Lawyers with ATP and the city are poring over Paxton's filing and plan to fire back.

“The City recently received the AG’s pleading," city spokesperson Michele Gonzalez said in a statement. "We disagree with the AG’s assertions and are certain the court will allow the City and ATP time to file responses."

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 5:06 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
It’s going down in flames, y’all. Get prepared.

Thank God. Bad plan, lies to voters, manipulation, unethical pile of dirt and garbage.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:30 PM

I-35 EXPANSION PROJECT
Austin could pursue 2026 bond election for ‘cap and stitch’ funding

by: Kelsey Thompson
Posted: Mar 19, 2024 / 01:06 PM CDT
Updated: Mar 19, 2024 / 01:11 PM CDT

https://www.kxan.com/traffic/traffic...titch-funding/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

Thank God. Bad plan, lies to voters, manipulation, unethical pile of dirt and garbage.
have fun sitting in traffic for the rest of your life.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:47 PM

Project Connect isn't going anywhere.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 11:11 PM

Never cease to amazed me that these Texas politicians are against anything progressive. Smh

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:46 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
Project Connect isn't going anywhere.
I agree. I've been wrong before, but I can't see how issuing bonds to be repaid by the voter approved property tax increase is "illegal".

I think at worst there will need to be an election called each time bonds need to be issued, which is lame.

However, I also believe that Austin voters will approve those bonds as necessary. Of course there is no guarantee, and it's at an added cost in both time and money.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 3:42 PM

We voted on one thing and got another. That's the issue IMO.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
We voted on one thing and got another. That's the issue IMO.
well, things have changed. why can't we come together to make this work for everyone instead of scrapping all of this and kicking it down the road? at this rate, we won't have anything for 20/30 years. this is absurd yall. bad faith.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

Shocking that the guy that doesn't believe induced demand is real doesn't like the mass transit plan. Just 1 more lane, right? That'll fix it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:04 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Shocking that the guy that doesn't believe induced demand is real doesn't like the mass transit plan. Just 1 more lane, right? That'll fix it.
Oh I want transit, too, and I believe in induced demand. What I don’t believe is that most people actually understand how induced demand works and I take entirely different moral and ethical lessons from the framework than do most. I also think Project Connect was a crap plan from the start.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 1:51 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
It's guys like you that make people vote against transit. I support upgrading transportation infrastructure including Project Connect, and Capital Express. Both projects are needed. But damn man, I guess you guys can't see how unlikeable you come across to the like 90% or more of adults who drive cars every single day in this city.

Especially when a project, like Capital Express Central, makes such a drastic improvement for essentially everyone and every mode of transportation. It's adding HOV lanes which express buses will use. Upgraded sidewalks for the entire length. Urban boulevard with 35 mph speed limit through downtown replacing the frontage roads. More street crossings improving connectivity. It's below grade. It will have caps and stitches.

But I already know the auto generated response. "Lipstick on a pig!". Any improvement to a roadway which increases it's capacity, no matter how many other improvements for others you will oppose. It is unreasonable, illogical, and borders on fanaticism.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
It's guys like you that make people vote against transit. I support upgrading transportation infrastructure including Project Connect, and Capital Express. Both projects are needed. But damn man, I guess you guys can't see how unlikeable you come across to the like 90% or more of adults who drive cars every single day in this city.

Especially when a project, like Capital Express Central, makes such a drastic improvement for essentially everyone and every mode of transportation. It's adding HOV lanes which express buses will use. Upgraded sidewalks for the entire length. Urban boulevard with 35 mph speed limit through downtown replacing the frontage roads. More street crossings improving connectivity. It's below grade. It will have caps and stitches.

But I already know the auto generated response. "Lipstick on a pig!". Any improvement to a roadway which increases it's capacity, no matter how many other improvements for others you will oppose. It is unreasonable, illogical, and borders on fanaticism.
what is the point of this comment? you're saying you're voting against transit to improve the city because of some mean comments online? grow up

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post

There are a lot of us who would rather turn I-35 into a boulevard, but that just isn't realistic for many reasons (political and non-political). As such, what is planned is a definite improvement over what we currently have. I find it hard to argue that it isn't better than the current state of things. It seems very disingenuous to me when some folks seem to argue otherwise. Also, it's likely the best we're going to get.

One (disingenuous to me) thing, when it comes to those that are fighting so hard to oppose the project, is their argument that the increased amount of vehicles flowing through will be bad WRT climate change. It ignores that, when this project is completed 10 years from now, more than half of new vehicles being sold will be required to be hybrid or EVs (from what I understand).

I don't think anyone can reliably predict the exact percentage of ICE/non-ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles will be on the road in 10ish years. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the total emissions with the added vehicle flow was completely flat (or even reduced) 10 years from now due to the number of non-ICE vehicles on the roads.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 2:50 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
what is the point of this comment? you're saying you're voting against transit to improve the city because of some mean comments online? grow up
Nope. I voted for Project Connect, and hope the state doesn't overturn the will of Austin's electorate.

However, most people seem to pick a side. Hate cars, and oppose any and all car related infrastructure. Or hate any and all transit and bicycle infrastructure.

I dislike both viewpoints, and think "noisy" activists being unreasonable and unlikeable tends to push the electorate to one side or the other.

It is all rather childish, I agree.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:22 PM

I mean for the longest time on here my signature was "advocating for Project Connect, a wider I-35..." people can support multiple things.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin