HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 12:13 AM

From today's LA Times, a shot of downtown during this morning's LA Marathon. What's the crane on the left, is that the homeless non-profit's second tower?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 3:43 AM

Yes I believe so

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 1:44 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Appears to be. Man, this picture makes me pine for the Studio Gang-designed hotel for Chinatown. Would have been amazing to have seen this in this photo, but I'm not sure if this is still in the cards or not. https://la.curbed.com/2018/4/19/1725...hinatown-tower
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Appears to be. Man, this picture makes me pine for the Studio Gang-designed hotel for Chinatown. Would have been amazing to have seen this in this photo, but I'm not sure if this is still in the cards or not. https://la.curbed.com/2018/4/19/1725...hinatown-tower
Is Yang Chow still there? We used to go there when I was a kid. That was one of my family's favorite restaurants.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I had forgotten about this but I agree. Would be fantastic

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 5:22 PM

Still waiting on that 27-story building behind Capitol Milling

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Is Yang Chow still there? We used to go there when I was a kid. That was one of my family's favorite restaurants.
You bet it is. Still as good as it ever was. One of my favorites too. Can't beat those slippery shrimp.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
You bet it is. Still as good as it ever was. One of my favorites too. Can't beat those slippery shrimp.
That is great to hear! I don't eat seafood but the slippery shrimp were one of my parents' favorites.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:20 AM

laurbanize.city

laurbanize.city

Quote:
In 2018, the owners of the 1923 Lane Mortgage Building at 8th and Spring Streets began cooking up plans for the adaptive reuse of the vintage office building. Six years later, the now century-old structure has reopened as an apartment-hotel fusion called The Craftsman. Downtown-based architecture firm Omgivning designed the project, which converted the upper floors of the building into 110-short-term rentals, while retaining existing ground-floor retail and restaurant space. San Francisco-based Sonder, which runs short-term apartment-hotel projects, has signed on to operate the upper floors, which features units as small as 380 square feet in size.

Completion of the Craftsman comes roughly three years after Apple completed its conversion of the adjacent Tower Theatre into retail store. Sonder, in addition to the Craftsman, has also opened a second Downtown location at the historic Foreman & Clark Building at 7th and Hill Streets. The 13-story former office building and department store has been transformed into a 125-unit property called The Winfield.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Malcolm Lee: Demolition at James Wood and Francisco. I wonder what they are planning to build???

facebook.com/groups/DtlaDev

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:37 PM

From LA Reddit, progress at Olympic & Hill:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 11:54 PM

^ I heard on the KTLA morning news that City of LA will spend $4MM to clean those buildings up. It was unclear how the city would be reimbursed by the developer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^ I heard on the KTLA morning news that City of LA will spend $4MM to clean those buildings up. It was unclear how the city would be reimbursed by the developer.
De Leon and his staff blocked a couple of different developers in buying Oceanwide over petty politics back in August. Then gets on camera now blaming Oceanwide for everything that’s happen. The payment should come out of his pocket.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 5:16 AM

Never heard anything about de leon blocking any sales. Honestly, I'm not sure how he would anyways. Do you have any articles on that?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Never heard anything about de leon blocking any sales. Honestly, I'm not sure how he would anyways. Do you have any articles on that?
Yeah, that's news to me. Nobody that I know of has made a serious offer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I will try and find it today….im working today though. But hopefully I’ll be able to find something on this issue.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 8:26 PM

An article from today's LA Times that, unfortunately, focuses more on the negatives of "displacement" (i.e. people willingly selling their bungalows for $1.1M) than on the beneficial increase of a housing typology that serves the needs of both university students and,
apparently, the formerly homeless:

How student housing around USC is transforming a historic Black and Latino neighborhood

Doug Smith, Angie Orellana Hernandez
Los Angeles Times
March 20, 2024

Only a year ago the little gray and yellow house on 35th Place was nestled among similar early 20th century homes interspersed with a few postwar apartments.

Today it is flanked on one side by two four-story buildings and on the other by three buildings under construction.

Scenes like that are playing out on almost every block in the neighborhood west of the USC campus. A building boom is transforming a historic Black and Latino neighborhood into a village of modern student housing, unchecked by planning constraints that were enacted
more than a decade ago specifically to hold off such a boom.

Similar development occurs over large portions of South Los Angeles where small firms have learned to max out the area’s underutilized multi-family zones that allow much more density than the single-family zones that are the bedrock of the city’s suburbs.
. . . .

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:02 AM

Emphasizes everything wrong with the "gentrification" convo.

Long time homeowners who finally saw appreciation on their homes and cashing in? Bad.

Memories of how the neighborhood used to be to people who will probably die within 20 years? Paramount importance!

Younger generations forking out tremendous sums or just being homeless? Who cares.

Its the most anti-poor, anti-young world view, and they will take it to their grave.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
An article from today's LA Times that, unfortunately, focuses more on the negatives of "displacement" (i.e. people willingly selling their bungalows for $1.1M) than on the beneficial increase of a housing typology that serves the needs of both university students and,

. . . .
You know the YIMBY movement is winning when even the formerly incorrigible comments section of the LA Times is trashing this article!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I also read this yesterday. Bonkers level stupid article. Lamenting the loss of the SFH character of a neighborhood, that they themselves mention, is literally in the shadow of the largest private employer in the city of LA (USC). Yes, why don't we pick this place to "maintain character" by severely limiting density, while people who work at the university drive in from all over the damn place! (to say nothing of the students). Literally hurts the brain...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations