HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:30 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
This was their "updated" definition of downtown SLC that resulted in the numbers falling from 139% to 82%:

These researchers did not do their homework on SLC, if you ask me. Activity is way up from 2019 in my experience.
I'll go with what Dee Brewer said:

Quote:
"That 82% is more consistent with the measurements we have been doing," said Dee Brewer, executive director of the Salt Lake City Downtown Alliance.
And the boundaries seem much more reasonable than the old ones that also included 9th and 9th and the Ballpark, which is decidedly not downtown (tho, I do think they should include the Granary District).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:46 AM

id be able to forgive KIC for the pretty bad exterior of Astra if they build a 500+ on one of their other downtown properties

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 1:30 AM

Both of those definitions of downtown that they used were questionable. But other cities in the study also probably had questionable boundaries. It's a risk of using equal methodology across different cities.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:22 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I'll go with what Dee Brewer said:

And the boundaries seem much more reasonable than the old ones that also included 9th and 9th and the Ballpark, which is decidedly not downtown (tho, I do think they should include the Granary District).
I mean, it's Dee Brewer's job to spin everything about downtown positively without rocking the boat. So who knows. I definitely don't agree with their definition of downtown in all cardinal directions.

IMO Astra looks good from the southeast and mediocre from the north. It's only the southwest side that is aggressively bland due to the giant blank wall. Fortunately, another tower will cover that up eventually.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:55 AM
Lahaina Strong

Here's BRIX as of yesterday.

I've had to manually resize images lately because imgur is having issues with the suffix "h".

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:34 AM

Hey Schmoe, keep us posted on the leasing/occupancy of the Astra if you can as the building begins to fill up. I can’t wait to see how it does and I hope it exceeds expectations. The added residence between Astra and the worthington will be just what we need near the core. Looks great!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
Here's BRIX as of yesterday.

I've had to manually resize images lately because imgur is having issues with the suffix "h".
Love the oxymoronic restaurant in the foreground.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 6:17 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCHenry View Post
id be able to forgive KIC for the pretty bad exterior of Astra if they build a 500+ on one of their other downtown properties
People will still complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Hey Schmoe, keep us posted on the leasing/occupancy of the Astra if you can as the building begins to fill up. I can’t wait to see how it does and I hope it exceeds expectations. The added residence between Astra and the worthington will be just what we need near the core. Looks great!
Pre-leasing begins mid-April. Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I noticed you said "will" instead of "would." Does that mean a 500+ footer is happening?
Wishful thinking.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:41 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Yes, all the typical clowns will most certainly come out to complain. And it STILL won't be tall enough for them.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 11:35 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I noticed you said "will" instead of "would." Does that mean a 500+ footer is happening?
Wishful thinking.
Words matter.

There are no firm plans, but that location certainly merits something substantial, don't you think?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Words matter.

There are no firm plans, but that location certainly merits something substantial, don't you think?
That's what I keep thinking Schmoe. That spot has to be one of the most desirable for development potential given its location next to Eccles, Gallivan, and Regent St. Both of the two development iterations from the past were very attractive. I think that as soon as the numbers return to a more attractive scenario we'll see something along the line of a hotel/residential.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:33 AM
Space Magi

Senator McKay told me on Saturday (at the new flag ceremony) that there will be an announcement soon about the NHL plans. I wonder what side effects this will have on downtown's development prospects.

Unrelated: RGP made the news again today. Gov. Cox said this yesterday when asked about the RGP:
Quote:
...the Rio Grande Plan is something that we will certainly look at and we want all ideas on the table. We really want to dream big and make some of these generational investments so that our kids and grandkids have the high quality of life that we enjoy here.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:06 AM

^
I don't know if that's a good quote or a bad quote. It kind of sounds like he might be saying: "Yeah the Rio Grande plan sounds nice but we would prefer to expand I-15 to 18 lanes."

At least he is aware of it and "looking at it."

Last edited by RC14; Mar 14, 2024 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:55 PM

Astra Tower

Hey Schmoe, I dont care what the naysayers on this thread say, I think the Astra Tower is a very attractive tower and is a great addition to the downtown skyline. I especially like the Eastern and Southern face of the tower, however I do think the western face is somewhat bland and could have used more glass.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 1:41 PM

I agree Meman. I still think all the northern side needs is an understated but attractive work of public art to dress it up. The right composition could do wonders for that side, just like so many of the mid-rises with art that have sprung up around town.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:39 PM
West bench livin'

I'll even go one step further on Astra. The view coming down the hill on Main: while it is a little austere, even the blank north side is striking whilst framed by the existing high-rises and gives off a very cool tower density vibe. Really happy with Astra Schmoe!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:59 PM

I like my view from the southwest. I get that it's not a typical view, but I still think it's a good looking building.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Love the oxymoronic restaurant in the foreground.
lol. Nice catch. Drive-In street tacos.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 7:39 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I mean, it's Dee Brewer's job to spin everything about downtown positively without rocking the boat. So who knows. I definitely don't agree with their definition of downtown in all cardinal directions.

IMO Astra looks good from the southeast and mediocre from the north. It's only the southwest side that is aggressively bland due to the giant blank wall. Fortunately, another tower will cover that up eventually.
Hey Atlas, you were on TV. Did you lose weight?

One of Comrade's paying clients from last year:

https://twitter.com/CityWeekly/statu...588675/photo/1

According to a new U.S. survey. Salt Lake County lost 789 residents between July 2022 and 2023. It did not indicate whether the city lost population. Not sure it is accurate with all the growth taking place downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West