HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
After the first of the two big snow dumps we got in February it took HRM 4 days to clear the sidewalk in front of my house. I get that; it was a very large, heavy snowfall and since I had cleared a path to get to the street it wasn’t like my front door was totally inaccessible. But far more people use the sidewalks than do bike lanes. Sidewalks in most areas need to come first. In fact I wonder if any thought was ever given to declaring some sort of “snow status” when there’s a heavy snowfall, where certain sidewalks are declared temporarily OK for use by the few cyclists wanting to try to ride, and where pedestrians use that side at their own risk until the bike lanes are eventually cleared and the special status revoked. It would almost like a parking ban except with different provisions.
It depends on the circumstances. In a suburb, where people tend to use the sidewalks a lot (to walk dogs, exercise, walk to the bus stop, etc.) and there is little to no bike traffic, then definitely sidewalks should take priority. In a downtown area, where there is more bike traffic, plus pedestrian traffic, it's a toss-up, IMHO, but the same equipment should be used to do the bike lanes and sidewalks concurrently, more or less. Double up the equipment if necessary. I'm sure there are all kinds of permutations and combinations, depending upon local conditions, but regardless bike lanes need to be done. I can't see cyclists using sidewalks as ever being a good idea, BTW. I experienced that in Japan and it's hard on the nerves as they are coming at you from every direction (but are also very conscientious and careful to not bother you for the most part, unlike Canadian cyclists in my experience).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
Looks like he'll run

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mp-andy-...ayor-1.6776204

Who you got, Keith? Fillmore or Mason? Democracy is great (and hard choices!)
Easy choice. Not that Fillmore is great, but it can only be ABM (Anyone But Mason). A well-behaved chimpanzee would be less dangerous than that guy.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Montreal just expanded its bixi bike share program into Winter. I wonder what the experience is there? Is it a response to the winter biking behaviour of non-bike-share-bikers? How many people take advantage of bixi in the winter, now that it's available?

Seems to me that people most prepared to bike in a Montreal winter would ALSO own their own bikes, but wonder if that's true.
I live in Montreal and commute over 10km each way daily, either by bike or by transit. BIXI is a great service and the winter service is nice but they're only running about 10% of the full network this year, as a pilot, to gauge usage.

For me, I bike when I deem the weather good enough; so, not too much snow, not freezing cold. Probably about 60 days of the year total where I don't bike for weather reasons.

I really don't get the whole "nobody uses bike lanes in the winter so we shouldn't build them". Yes, in the winter the ridership is understandably lower. But by this logic, one could argue tennis courts, swimming pools, baseball pitches, skate parks, etc. Should not be build because they won't be well used year round. Winter is a crummy fact of life in Canada, but it doesn't preclude us building quality public infrastructure for the enjoyment of all (who choose to use it) when the weather is nice enough to do so.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuriousMind View Post
I live in Montreal and commute over 10km each way daily, either by bike or by transit. BIXI is a great service and the winter service is nice but they're only running about 10% of the full network this year, as a pilot, to gauge usage.

For me, I bike when I deem the weather good enough; so, not too much snow, not freezing cold. Probably about 60 days of the year total where I don't bike for weather reasons.

I really don't get the whole "nobody uses bike lanes in the winter so we shouldn't build them". Yes, in the winter the ridership is understandably lower. But by this logic, one could argue tennis courts, swimming pools, baseball pitches, skate parks, etc. Should not be build because they won't be well used year round. Winter is a crummy fact of life in Canada, but it doesn't preclude us building quality public infrastructure for the enjoyment of all (who choose to use it) when the weather is nice enough to do so.
As a follow up to this, it's also worth noting through many of the middle-density neighborhoods of Montreal, on smaller residential streets, there are 2-way, wide bike lanes separated by frequent bollards on one side of the road, and parking on the other side, from April 15 - Nov 15. Then, the bollards are removed and the bike lane becomes a second parking lane during the winter months. On main thoroughfares with higher car traffic the bike lanes, if they exist, are permanent fixtures that are curb separated with dedicated traffic signals, and they are regularly maintained through the wintertime (plowed and salted). This is the sort of compromise that could be useful in Halifax to promote cycling while still retaining the street network's utility for those who need to, want to, or otherwise will travel always by car.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Easy choice. Not that Fillmore is great, but it can only be ABM (Anyone But Mason). A well-behaved chimpanzee would be less dangerous than that guy.
Not the biggest fan of Fillmore but I think I would feel alright with him being Mayor to be honest.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:40 PM

The benefit Fillmore may have is his experience within other areas of the political spectrum. What Halifax and the HRM seem to need right now is leadership which can pressure and better work with the provincial and federal governments. The city is growing exceptionally fast, and so is the region, but we regularly see provincial politics lean more rural.

Perhaps under the hood, there is more money and support for the HRM than the press conferences and media make it out to be, so I may be wrong in that judgement.

There is a lot of city building that needs to continue, and with that building we need better services, both on and off the road. At minimum, we desperately need a real mobility strategy and to see that implementation happen as the peninsula simply cannot handle the amount of traffic it's getting and will continue to get (in larger doses).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuriousMind View Post

I've been biking throughout the winter. Even the day after a snowfall.

That being said, you really need studded tires in the window and I have only been using bike lanes. I only use the streets when I have to. The current locations of some of the city's bike lanes are not the most efficient for bikes....but as a cyclist in Halifax, I'm happy for anything.

But if there were sufficient bike lanes that are plowed, then anyone can bike in the winter with the proper tires and clothing. Studded snow tires for bikes are a game changer and we probably owe it to the automobile drivers so that we don't get in their way. The city has done a horrible job all around this year in removing snow on streets, sidewalks and bike lanes.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Not the biggest fan of Fillmore but I think I would feel alright with him being Mayor to be honest.

Just reported that Andy Fillmore is suggesting that the Canada Post processing centre be moved off the peninsula to provide for housing for 5K people.

...sounds like the beginning of a campaign

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
The benefit Fillmore may have is his experience within other areas of the political spectrum. What Halifax and the HRM seem to need right now is leadership which can pressure and better work with the provincial and federal governments. The city is growing exceptionally fast, and so is the region, but we regularly see provincial politics lean more rural.

Perhaps under the hood, there is more money and support for the HRM than the press conferences and media make it out to be, so I may be wrong in that judgement.

There is a lot of city building that needs to continue, and with that building we need better services, both on and off the road. At minimum, we desperately need a real mobility strategy and to see that implementation happen as the peninsula simply cannot handle the amount of traffic it's getting and will continue to get (in larger doses).
Worth noting therein that Fillmore's background is in urban planning also. He seems fairly pragmatic and while maybe not excellent will probably be quite solid in the mayor role. He'd have my vote if I was still in NS. And that's coming from someone who's quite fed up with his party at a federal level.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
Just reported that Andy Fillmore is suggesting that the Canada Post processing centre be moved off the peninsula to provide for housing for 5K people.

...sounds like the beginning of a campaign
IIRC there was once suggestion in another thread that this would have been a good site for a stadium. How times have changed.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
I've been biking throughout the winter. Even the day after a snowfall.

That being said, you really need studded tires in the window and I have only been using bike lanes. I only use the streets when I have to. The current locations of some of the city's bike lanes are not the most efficient for bikes....but as a cyclist in Halifax, I'm happy for anything.

But if there were sufficient bike lanes that are plowed, then anyone can bike in the winter with the proper tires and clothing. Studded snow tires for bikes are a game changer and we probably owe it to the automobile drivers so that we don't get in their way. The city has done a horrible job all around this year in removing snow on streets, sidewalks and bike lanes.
I'm curious as to how the studded tires work on dry pavement. Any slippage during higher speed turns, when you have a good lean on?

They would have been a game changer for me years ago. I quit riding in the winter when I was cutting through a Dartmouth park, my wheels slipped on ice and I fell onto a gravestone. Luckily I didn't hit my head but I had a large bruise on my rear end for a few weeks... it could have very easily been seriously worse, compounded by the fact that nobody probably would have found me for awhile.

That, and the fact that without cleared, separate bike lanes, I always felt like a sitting duck with nowhere to go should a car lose traction, or cut it too close with the narrowed roadways - probably why seeing that cyclist almost get clocked last week rattled me so (luckily, I don't think he saw it, because it happened behind him - I just happened to be looking in my rearview mirror at the time).

Halifax really needs to be set up better to support cycling. Problem is, it's easy for people to balk against the infrastructure costs when there aren't many people using it. And many people won't use it if it's not there or inadequately built. Catch 22.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Halifax really needs to be set up better to support cycling. Problem is, it's easy for people to balk against the infrastructure costs when there aren't many people using it. And many people won't use it if it's not there or inadequately built. Catch 22.
Well, 100 years ago the govts of the time did not build roads to encourage vehicle use. People realized they were a solution to a lot of problems and bought vehicles to replace horses and buggies. Only then was adequate street/road infrastructure developed. Cycling is just the opposite. There has never been a critical mass *cough* of cyclists large enough to justify the amount of money HRM is wasting spending on bike lanes and their associated foolishness.

Speaking of which, Wednesday mid-afternoon (so not a particularly busy time of day) I passed 8 vehicles queued up on Wyse Rd waiting to make a right turn onto Boland which were prevented from doing so by Sam Austin's absurd "no right on red" rules for the ghost cyclists who allegedly ride there. It was ridiculous since there was nothing that would have prevented them from making that turn safely both for them and anyone else. HRM doing its part for climate change I guess.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Well, 100 years ago the govts of the time did not build roads to encourage vehicle use. People realized they were a solution to a lot of problems and bought vehicles to replace horses and buggies. Only then was adequate street/road infrastructure developed. Cycling is just the opposite. There has never been a critical mass *cough* of cyclists large enough to justify the amount of money HRM is wasting spending on bike lanes and their associated foolishness.

Speaking of which, Wednesday mid-afternoon (so not a particularly busy time of day) I passed 8 vehicles queued up on Wyse Rd waiting to make a right turn onto Boland which were prevented from doing so by Sam Austin's absurd "no right on red" rules for the ghost cyclists who allegedly ride there. It was ridiculous since there was nothing that would have prevented them from making that turn safely both for them and anyone else. HRM doing its part for climate change I guess.
Road networks evolved from walking paths to wider roads to accommodate horses and wagons. Sidewalks were built so that people could have a place to walk, away from the horse and wagons. Cars came along which were faster and heavier, roads were paved, more sidewalks were built as it was becoming even less safe for pedestrians to mix with moving traffic. A sidewalk network was created, even in areas where there wasn't a lot of pedestrian traffic, so that people could walk from one area to another, safely. It was an evolution in infrastructure.

Now, we are faced with massive population growth, and the threat of climate change. Road networks to facilitate cars grew to be massive and ubiquitous, and sidewalks have followed. More people want to travel independently of public transit, but they don't want to (or can't afford to) drive cars. Bicycles are this neat little piece of technology that have been around forever (even before cars), are compact and light, don't require fuel, and are relatively inexpensive to purchase. Their use has caught on in other cities, and they have become a recognized alternative to the car in urban areas around the world.

Problem is, riding on the street with vehicles that have become larger, faster, heavier, and in many cases more difficult to see a cyclist out of (try driving one of those massive pickups that are all over the place now), has become much more dangerous now. Vehicles now have infotainment units with touch screens that require taking your eyes off the road to operate. Drivers are still using cell phones while driving, despite that it has been made illegal to do so (I see it every day). Vehicles have all kinds of sensors and nanny systems that give a false sense of security, and (IMHO) drivers have become even less attentive and less skillful than ever. People are more stressed and more aggressive than ever, and it shows in their driving.

Cyclists rightfully feel unsafe, and the theory is that if infrastructure is further evolved, more cyclists will come out of hiding and start to use their bikes on the cycling infrastructure, to the benefit of everybody, actually, as it helps reduce pollution (i.e. helps mitigate climate change), plus less motor vehicles on the road would theoretically result in less wear and tear on the street network, and yes, less vehicle traffic, making for a better driving experience for those who still use cars.

As I see it, evolving the infrastructure to include a cycling network, will potentially draw cyclists to that network, and away from more contentious roads. As usage grows, the network will be optimized for efficiency and cost, and mistakes made along the way (like those signals you like to complain about, perhaps) will be worked out of the system and cycling networks will become standardized infrastructure, just like sidewalks have become.

Also, if the network is built, but never used, new cycling infrastructure projects will likely not be created out of a cost/benefit calculation. I suspect, though, that this won't be the case as the infrastructure in places like Montreal, as discussed, is well used, and optimized (like temporary lanes that exist in the nice weather seasons but disappear in winter when they are not used so much).

The past will always be the past, and the present will also become the past, but the future is what we have to anticipate. Cycling growth is something we anticipate, but we don't know how it will go until we actually make an effort to do something about it. We have to try, and then let the cards fall as they may...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Now, we are faced with massive population growth, and the threat of climate change. Road networks to facilitate cars grew to be massive and ubiquitous, and sidewalks have followed. More people want to travel independently of public transit, but they don't want to (or can't afford to) drive cars. Bicycles are this neat little piece of technology that have been around forever (even before cars), are compact and light, don't require fuel, and are relatively inexpensive to purchase. Their use has caught on in other cities, and they have become a recognized alternative to the car in urban areas around the world.

Problem is, riding on the street with vehicles that have become larger, faster, heavier, and in many cases more difficult to see a cyclist out of (try driving one of those massive pickups that are all over the place now), has become much more dangerous now. Vehicles now have infotainment units with touch screens that require taking your eyes off the road to operate. Drivers are still using cell phones while driving, despite that it has been made illegal to do so (I see it every day). Vehicles have all kinds of sensors and nanny systems that give a false sense of security, and (IMHO) drivers have become even less attentive and less skillful than ever. People are more stressed and more aggressive than ever, and it shows in their driving.

Cyclists rightfully feel unsafe, and the theory is that if infrastructure is further evolved, more cyclists will come out of hiding and start to use their bikes on the cycling infrastructure, to the benefit of everybody, actually, as it helps reduce pollution (i.e. helps mitigate climate change), plus less motor vehicles on the road would theoretically result in less wear and tear on the street network, and yes, less vehicle traffic, making for a better driving experience for those who still use cars.
Exactly. I've said it before on here, but cycling is by far my preferred way to travel short and medium distances, unless I need to haul a lot of stuff. It's almost as fast as driving, generally more pleasant, and is cheaper. It's also far more efficient in every way than driving, which requires A: hauling a few thousand pounds of steel and plastic through the city, even to accomplish the most minor tasks, B: Burning fossil fuels or powering up an electric motor to do so, and C: Finding somewhere to store the thing temporarily near your destination. That's is fine if the entire landscape around you was built with car storage in mind (new suburbs) or if space is just plain abundant (rural areas) but it doesn't work so well in the city.

If I want to visit a friend or go to a doctor's appointment or do some light shopping, a bike is the go-to, pretty much year-round, because it's actually a better way to get around.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:30 PM

Bike infrastructure, like automobile infrastructure, serves a purpose. There's no getting around the fact that we've developed our communities around the automobile for decades and they're necessary for a lot of people in their day to day lives. That doesn't negate the fact that alternatives exist and for them to be viable, proper infrastructure is necessary. I drive, walk, bike and bus around Halifax but there are some trips I will only make by car because of the lack of cycling infrastructure. It's not a distance or laziness factor for me not biking - I've done century rides on country back roads - its the lack of dedicated space to get away from aggressive drivers that pushes me away from using alternative modes of transport for some trips. If we expect to only support automobile infrastructure, we'll just dig ourselves further into the hole we are trying to get out of.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherNorthender View Post
Bike infrastructure, like automobile infrastructure, serves a purpose. There's no getting around the fact that we've developed our communities around the automobile for decades and they're necessary for a lot of people in their day to day lives. That doesn't negate the fact that alternatives exist and for them to be viable, proper infrastructure is necessary. I drive, walk, bike and bus around Halifax but there are some trips I will only make by car because of the lack of cycling infrastructure. It's not a distance or laziness factor for me not biking - I've done century rides on country back roads - its the lack of dedicated space to get away from aggressive drivers that pushes me away from using alternative modes of transport for some trips. If we expect to only support automobile infrastructure, we'll just dig ourselves further into the hole we are trying to get out of.
Well said.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Well said.
Ditto. It’s been years since I biked regularly (I often biked to work in Ottawa, where the infrastructure made it both feasible and relatively safe) and have two gas guzzlers in my driveway. But I absolutely agree that we need to take seriously the importance of active transportation and public transportation alternatives.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 1:33 PM
Salty Town

I hope Andy Fillmore runs for Mayor.

Canada Post Sorting Facility - Almon St.
https://twitter.com/AndyFillmoreHFX/...o3pQA2PZvvpzpQ

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 3:49 PM
Cap the Cut!

It sure looks like he's running for mayor. There's a good chance I'd vote for him. But don't we already have vacant formerly federal land that sits empty? ie. Shannon Park, the Ralston site, and the former RCMP site. The Bragg land on Robie next door is already an eyesore. We don't need more of that in the same area. The city will have a number of lots to sell on the Cogswell lands soon. And we have the Micmac, Hfx Shopping Centre and Sobeys land in Clayton Park all working on plans to redevelop their sites. ...just thinking out loud.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
It sure looks like he's running for mayor. There's a good chance I'd vote for him. But don't we already have vacant formerly federal land that sits empty? ie. Shannon Park, the Ralston site, and the former RCMP site.
Those are all spoken for already.

Quote:
The Bragg land on Robie next door is already an eyesore. We don't need more of that in the same area.
It's privately-owned property that they will likely do something with in due course.

Quote:
The city will have a number of lots to sell on the Cogswell lands soon.
Those will not be appropriate for any sort of lower-income housing. HRM needs to cash in big on the selling prices to pay for their Cogswell dreams.

Quote:
And we have the Micmac, Hfx Shopping Centre and Sobeys land in Clayton Park all working on plans to redevelop their sites. ...just thinking out loud.
Again, all privately-owned and planned for redevelopment eventually. You need to remember there is only so much construction capacity available to do all of these things, and the construction industry is going flat-out as it is. Everything will happen in due course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth