HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Would have been perfect across from the Delta Center.
And there it could also serve as the Olympics Medal Plaza, like in 2002.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
If you actually see behind the beat up structures that face 300 south, you would see a giant concrete hole. It’s actually really odd. When I managed the 5702 parking structure (can’t remember what it’s actually called but it’s behind the formerly known EA office building) you could really see it.
This concrete hole was the Colonial Theater house wich burned down in the 40s or 50s. The structure being torn down was the lobby. You can see images here:
https://collections.lib.utah.edu/sea...salt+lake+city

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Personally, I still think it should be rejected by the planning commission. What was the point of eliminating the lower height minimums in the very rare D-1 Zone if they just start allowing more 'exceptions' to be made.

Approving this project would be just as egregious a mistake as the Randi was. More wasted downtown space for average and suburban heighted projects. All that is different is this has a midblock walkway.

The Planning Commission needs to hold these developers to the relatively basic and achievable standards the City has already set for its Downtown. It's time they start putting their foot down, or we will be stuck with countless 5-7 floor buildings built by small minds and short-term thinkers.

Right now, developers think the city will basically approve anything, so they design to the lowest quality that they believe will be approved, even when that is below what the code and standards ask for.

While I would love for our standards to be even greater, I think the age of giving reprieve to laziness needs to end.

In my opinion, it is better to make sure Downtown is built right, than to settle and regret it for decades. But maybe that's just me.
I agree with all of this. I've been getting more vocal about this lately. The most egregious example is the atrocious Lusso 2 complex that was approved by the Planning Commission a couple of weeks ago, where they allowed exceptions to building facade length, active ground floor use, and ground floor transparency - and pretty significant exceptions too - all in one go, all without significant improvements in other ways.

Seriously, what's the point of these design standards if we can't hold developers accountable to them?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 10:13 PM

This was very informative. I think I know my rank choice choices for Mayor now.

https://www.kuer.org/politics-govern...tine?_amp=true

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 4:09 PM

Anyone have any updates on:
Hines Main Street Tower
6th South Tower
The Soren (370 WT)
Sundial
and the 465s Main Tower?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 12:58 AM
They all float down here

Took this photo at the Utes game yesterday:

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:10 AM

I was at the game too! Go Utes! 🏈

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 3:45 PM
Space Magi

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 9:24 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Took this photo at the Utes game yesterday:
Nice photo.

Yes, Comrade is talented, but you should have seen him ride down the Hill on his Big-wheel. Unscathed.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 9:30 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with the lot on the southeast corner of 600 south and 400 West? There is construction fencing and the site has been cleared and prepped for construction.
I couldn't find any active building permits for that site. It's owned by "AMERITEL INN ELKO" which has a Boise address. Perhaps it's just staging for other construction?

I asked about this site a couple years ago and dug this up from 2017 (see below). That said, I don't think this is active now and the zoning has been changed since then, so I doubt this is the plan now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So awhile back I asked about the very prominent empty lot at the SE corner of 600S and 400W, across from the Post District. I did a search on the current property owner (from the SL County assessor) and found this 7-story Embassy Suites project which was approved by the planning commission in 2017. I wasn't active on the forum back then and I'm wondering if there's been any news or discussion on this since then. I don't like the big parking lot but the building itself isn't bad and, if built, would nicely compliment the Post District at this gateway to the city.

Maybe this project didn't happen because they decided to build an Embassy Suites in WVC instead?

If it was a typo and you meant the southwest corner of 600S and 400W, then this may be the answer. Already approved by the PC for awhile now:

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 12:47 AM

So technically the Embassy Suites would have been placed on the Northwest corner of that lot.

Quote:
I couldn't find any active building permits for that site. It's owned by "AMERITEL INN ELKO" which has a Boise address. Perhaps it's just staging for other construction?

I asked about this site a couple years ago and dug this up from 2017 (see below). That said, I don't think this is active now and the zoning has been changed since then, so I doubt this is the plan now.

If it was a typo and you meant the southwest corner of 600S and 400W, then this may be the answer. Already approved by the PC for awhile now:

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:20 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I agree with all of this. I've been getting more vocal about this lately. The most egregious example is the atrocious Lusso 2 complex that was approved by the Planning Commission a couple of weeks ago, where they allowed exceptions to building facade length, active ground floor use, and ground floor transparency - and pretty significant exceptions too - all in one go, all without significant improvements in other ways.

Seriously, what's the point of these design standards if we can't hold developers accountable to them?
Lusso 2 is probably, er, not going to happen. Nor is much else.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 4:25 AM
They all float down here

Will be interesting to see if this means we're inching closer to a MLB team:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2023/11/...s-development/

Last edited by Comrade; Nov 8, 2023 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Lusso 2 is probably, er, not going to happen. Nor is much else.
Is this because of the Makers Line collapse?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Will be interesting to see if this means we're inching closer to a MLB team:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2023/11/...s-development/
I think that would be great if LHM or RMP can aquire that lot. Also, the big truck depot lot to the south of that on Redwood Road. That area would be the best location for the new stadium because of its immediate access to Redwood Road right off the freeway. Currently, the RMP land is hemmed in by those 2 properties on Redwood Road.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:

I would love to see both of those get built ASAP. They are helping to make the Gateway/ Grand Boulevards entrance into the city feel much more urban. Way much better than the blight and vacant lots that surround that area.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:52 PM

Key corner on North Temple sees proposal for 260-unit project
By Zeke Peters on November 7, 2023

Full Article @ https://buildingsaltlake.com/key-cor...EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

...The south west corner of 800 West and North Temple – which used to host the Gateway Inn and a Wienerschnitzel drive-thru restaurant – will become Gateway Living, an apartment complex by Argyll Development located at 805 W. North Temple.

Gateway Living features around 260 units in studios and two bedrooms. The building could feature a central courtyard with a pool and a rooftop deck. The building is planned to be seven stories, with three floors of parking and four for living.

While ground floor retail activation is the city’s goal, this project only features live-work units on the North Temple facade while having one 3,000 sqft retail space on the 800 West side with more live-work units...

Owner: Argyll Development - Civil Engineers: Kimley-Horn - Architect: Dwell Design Studio

Last edited by delts145; Nov 12, 2023 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 4:57 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Is this because of the Makers Line collapse?
Not that I know of. It's more due to the CRE market collapse. Hey had Lusso 1 listed for 75 million. 450k per door for flat style apartments. Which is more than they get in San Francisco. It's now "discounted" to 55 million. We are watching the wheels come off.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 10:44 PM

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
What is the current crane count in DT SLC? I haven't been up there in a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West