View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post
I also read this yesterday. Bonkers level stupid article. Lamenting the loss of the SFH character of a neighborhood, that they themselves mention, is literally in the shadow of the largest private employer in the city of LA (USC). Yes, why don't we pick this place to "maintain character" by severely limiting density, while people who work at the university drive in from all over the damn place! (to say nothing of the students). Literally hurts the brain...
USC is actually the largest private employer in all of Los Angeles County, and that is saying something.

I did some Google mapping of the areas in question in the article, and although the imagery isn't completely up to date, you can already see the pattern: a lot of three- and four-story infill buildings between the older bungalows.

And honestly, this is how I have always imagined how LA would eventually transform itself into a more traditional dense, pedestrian- and transit-oriented metropolis: increasing densities parcel by parcel, year after year, decade over decade. It is less disruptive than tearing down entire blocks all at once to then build mega-projects, and it allows for "missing middle" residential typologies. Unlike the writer, I have great hope for this kind of redevelopment and what it will mean for the city in the long run.